Is Tom Hanks the most successful actor both commercially and critically?

Tools    

Commerical Success:
1.Twenty 100 million movies worldwide-Most by any
actor
2.Highest gross by a lead actor
3.Every single film he has acted in has grossed
more than it's budget since 1992.Yes even the less famous ones like LadyKillers gained atleast small
profits
4.Since 1992;Only Ladykillers(Made 75 million on a
budget of 30 million),Larry Crowne(made 69 million
on a budget of 30 million),That thing you do(Made 35 million on a budget of 25 million) and Extremely
Loud ( made 50 million on a budget of 40 million)
have not crossed 100 million.And even these
movies achieved marginal profits.
Not even a single commercial flop in 20 years is
unbelievable

Critical success:
1.Only man to win back-to-back Oscars for leading
actor since 1940
2.Has played wide range of roles

If you're using the term "actor" androgynously then Meryl Streep is the most critically acclaimed actor, as right or wrong as that may be. If not, then I think Jack or Olivier has the most critical adoration, but I could be wrong there (google time).

As for commercial success, I think I read once that Samuel L. Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all-time (adjusted for inflation, who knows).

I'm still a Hanks fan though, no question. That Larry Crowne flick though he just did -- yeck.... even Bryan Cranston couldn't turn down that pay check.

My only pet peeve with Hanks is his infatuation with Nia Vardalos -- I suspect though that's his wife's Lady Macbeth influence more than anything else.

Samuel Jackson as highest grossing actor is over-rated

He appeared for 10 seconds in Iron Man and added 500 million to his record.

As a leading actor,Hanks got two Oscars,back to back

Samuel Jackson as highest grossing actor is over-rated

He appeared for 10 seconds in Iron Man and added 500 million to his record.

As a leading actor,Hanks got two Oscars,back to back
Sure, but so does Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, and Luise Rainer.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hanks a lot, but he's had some critical flops in his career (I know you only mentioned commercial success here, just saying) -- like everyone else. Unavoidable, unless you die young (like James Dean).

Put it this way -- it's hard to have a commercial failure when you are Tom Hanks. He gets his pick of all the best scripts and working with all the best directors, which increases his probability of making a successful movie.

I like

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
The Green Mile
The Da Vinci Code
Road to Perdition
Apollo 13

I hate

Cast Away
You've Got Mail

Sure, but so does Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, and Luise Rainer.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hanks a lot, but he's had some critical flops in his career (I know you only mentioned commercial success here, just saying) -- like everyone else. Unavoidable, unless you die young (like James Dean).

Put it this way -- it's hard to have a commercial failure when you are Tom Hanks. He gets his pick of all the best scripts and working with all the best directors, which increases his probability of making a successful movie.
Critically-He is up there with two or three people
Commercially-Highest grossing star in leading role
So Overall,I referred to him as most successful

4.5 stars
Saving Private Ryan

4 stars
The Simpsons Movie

3.5 stars
Big
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
The Da Vinci Code
Angles & Demons

I haven't seen most of his big films but here's how I'd rate the ones I've seen

I dont think most of them are worth what they're paid but Tom Hanks is awesome.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think he had a real Golden Age of about 10 years from 1993 "Philidelphia/Sleepless in Seattle" to 2002 in "Road to Perdition" but since then I don't think a lot of films he has made have been memorable at all.

1993 to 2002 has the likes of;

Philadelphia
Sleepless in Seattle
Forrest Gump
Apollo 13
Toy Story 1 and 2
Saving Private Ryan
The Green Mile
Castaway
Road to Perdition
Catch Me if You Can

I think you would do well to find a better 10 year period for any actor.

Whereas 2004 (he must have took year off 2003) to present has the likes of;

The Terminal
The Ladykillers
The Dav Vinci Code
The Great Buck Howard
Charlie Wilson's War( I actually LOVE this movie)
Angels and Demons
Toy Story 3 ( Great movie but obv just the voice)
Larry Crowne
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Most of these are fairly average films at best compared with his previous work.

I think Currently you have Matt Damon as probably the most bankable Actor, although he has made a few crappy ones very recently. Also the crop of Brad Pitt, Clooney and Di Caprio have been very bankable for the last 10+ years.

1993Sleepless in SeattleSam Baldwin1993PhiladelphiaAndrew Beckett1993Vault of Horror ITV movie; also director1994Forrest GumpForrest Gump1995Apollo 13Jim Lovell1995Toy StoryWoody (voice)1996That Thing You Do!Mr. WhiteAlso writer and director1998Saving Private RyanCaptain John H. Miller1998You've Got MailJoe Fox1999Toy Story 2Woody (voice)1999Green Mile, TheThe Green MilePaul Edgecomb2000Cast AwayChuck Noland2002Road to PerditionMichael Sullivan, Sr.2002Catch Me If You Can

Semper Fooey
I think he had a real Golden Age of about 10 years from 1993 "Philidelphia/Sleepless in Seattle" to 2002 in "Road to Perdition" but since then I don't think a lot of films he has made have been memorable at all.

1993 to 2002 has the likes of;

Philadelphia
Sleepless in Seattle
Forrest Gump
Apollo 13
Toy Story 1 and 2
Saving Private Ryan
The Green Mile
Castaway
Road to Perdition
Catch Me if You Can

I think you would do well to find a better 10 year period for any actor.

Whereas 2004 (he must have took year off 2003) to present has the likes of;

The Terminal
The Ladykillers
The Dav Vinci Code
The Great Buck Howard
Charlie Wilson's War( I actually LOVE this movie)
Angels and Demons
Toy Story 3 ( Great movie but obv just the voice)
Larry Crowne
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Most of these are fairly average films at best compared with his previous work.

I think Currently you have Matt Damon as probably the most bankable Actor, although he has made a few crappy ones very recently. Also the crop of Brad Pitt, Clooney and Di Caprio have been very bankable for the last 10+ years.

1993Sleepless in SeattleSam Baldwin1993PhiladelphiaAndrew Beckett1993Vault of Horror ITV movie; also director1994Forrest GumpForrest Gump1995Apollo 13Jim Lovell1995Toy StoryWoody (voice)1996That Thing You Do!Mr. WhiteAlso writer and director1998Saving Private RyanCaptain John H. Miller1998You've Got MailJoe Fox1999Toy Story 2Woody (voice)1999Green Mile, TheThe Green MilePaul Edgecomb2000Cast AwayChuck Noland2002Road to PerditionMichael Sullivan, Sr.2002Catch Me If You Can
In terms of box office, if you factor in inflation, some older actors could hae just as good a track record. If we are talking about quality movies, I think without looking it up Spencer Tracy had a run that is probably longer.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
In my opinion he hasn't made a good film since Catch Me If You Can

With the exception of Legend of Bagger Vance and Seven Pounds, every film Will Smith has done (starring role) since his breakthrough role in Independance Day has grossed over 100 million. That's a pretty successful track record if you ask me.

Suspect's Reviews

In my opinion he hasn't made a good film since Catch Me If You Can

With the exception of Legend of Bagger Vance and [/i]Seven Pounds[/i], every film Will Smith has done (starring role) since his breakthrough role in Independance Day has grossed over 100 million. That's a pretty successful track record if you ask me.
Ali
Wild Wild West
Bagger Vince
Seven Pounds
All three have been colossal failures

Bad Boyz-Not Leading Role

Independence Day-Smith was not hero.He was a part of a great cast

MIB-Ran solely on Smith's star power

The problem with Will Smith is all his movies are extremely high budget with making only twice the budget.

Hanks has made Huge profits-For example Sleepless in Seattle made ten times it's budget

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I am a huge fan of Tom Hanks, Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, Apollo 13 and Castaway are my favorites of his. For some reason I can watch Castaway over and over and never get tired of it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You seem like an ad for Tom Hanks. I was also not really comparing Will Smith and tom Hanks, I was simply stating that the guy can draw huge crowds. When was the last real relevant Tom Hanks film? One where people actually went to see the movie just because of him. Castaway?

As for Independence Day, I mentioned it was his BREAKOUT ROLE.

The cool thing about Hanks is that he has made quality movies that made a lot of money. Only Will Smith and as of late Robert Downey Jr are making more money in their films. Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon, and even Shia LaBoeuf films make money too.

If I had to rate what I have seen of Hanks though...

Sleepless in Seattle: and a half
Philadelphia:
Forrest Gump:
Toy Story:
Saving Private Ryan:
You've got mail:
Toy Story 2:
The Green Mile: and a half
Catch me if you can:****
The Polar Express:****
Cars:***
The Simpsons Movie:***and a half
Toy Story 3:****

I can watch Castaway over and over and never get tired of it.
Really!!!! If I saw that Movie again I would neck myself!