Mr Minio's Top 300 (2021 ed.)

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@resopamenic

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
What, no Predator?

Seriously, though, a fine list. Definitely the most interesting favourites list since linespalsy's, that's for sure. Only seen 94 so far, though.

Also, if I'm reading it right this is a one-film-per-director list - guess that's a good way to guarantee some diversity of choice.

this is a one-film-per-director list
Righto. It would be hell to order if I allowed myself to go full-on with all my Tarkovsky, Angelopoulos, Obayashi, Yamada favorites. Limiting myself to one per director takes heaps of work off my head, and reduces the problem to just picking one favorite, which might be a tough choice, too.

Picking a favorite Yamada and favorite Kino****a were the two toughest choices. Some directors have a very clear highlight in their filmography, which makes picking your favorite a piece of cake. Other directors made two or three films that fight in your mind for the number one spot. Yoji Yamada made at least four films like that. I could place any of them on this list and be as content with the result.

Welcome to the human race...
I've been considering the same approach when it comes to the latest iteration of my favourites list, though I think I'd still allow two or three titles for certain directors who I thought warranted it (though I can certainly draft alternate versions and see which one looks better).

The trick is not minding
Started to go through these again, as I was curious which are available for streaming right now. As I was doing so, I started to wonder about the images you chose and why?

Did these scenes stick out to you for some reason? Were they memorable in some way?

I made a list of 300 a few months back but I'm too lazy to post all of the images to make it worthwhile, and I feel it will be underwhelming just posting a list of titles.

Did these scenes stick out to you for some reason? Were they memorable in some way?
In the case of some films I posted an important/memorable picture. Then, for some films, I posted the most aesthetically pleasing image I could find. There's also a bunch of films that had very few pictures to choose from so I picked whatever was available. I think I took several screencaps myself, too, in which case I tried to pick an important one.
I made a list of 300 a few months back but I'm too lazy to post all of the images to make it worthwhile, and I feel it will be underwhelming just posting a list of titles.
You layabout milk drinker, you!

Alright, what are you doin' here?

Nope. Not fightin' it. Didn't even finish it yet, and I'm behind this movie's entry 100%.

The trick is not minding
In the case of some films I posted an important/memorable picture. Then, for some films, I posted the most aesthetically pleasing image I could find. There's also a bunch of films that had very few pictures to choose from so I picked whatever was available. I think I took several screencaps myself, too, in which case I tried to pick an important one.
I noticed a few directors were absent, and I know better to ask about certain ones, but a couple stand out.
Fassbinder, Miike and Truffaut.
(Unless I missed them scanning through it again).
Were they just squeezed out or is this a reflection of how you view their work?

Also, would love to see your honorable mentions sometime.
Thank you for your time.

His best happens to be a film that's often seen as a TV series. Incidentally, his second-best is exactly that, too. This is one of the reasons I didn't include him. I like his work but I'm not a Fassbinder head. Talk to @mark f if you want a Fassbinder fan.
I don't think Miike is a good director. He's that infamous dude who directed 100 films and not a single masterpiece. I do owe Audition a rewatch but I'm not very eager to rewatch it, as Miike is always a disappointment to me. For reference, my favorite Miike out of 4 of his I've seen is Visitor Q. I rated it
. Not even all films rated
made it to the final list.
I'm more of a Godard guy. 400 Blows is really the only Truffaut film I'd consider a masterpiece, but apparently not good enough to make the list. To make it clear, he made several other great films (like Fassbinder) but the bar to enter the list was just too high for him.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's funny how sometimes you are afraid to rewatch your favorites, fearing you will not love them as much on a second watch.
This is a big fear of mine. Plus, I want to watch movies I haven't seen.

Unfortunately, many of the movies high on your list are hard to find. "Absences Répétées" being one of many I added to my watch-list.

But one site that has a ton is https://archive.org/

The trick is not minding
His best happens to be a film that's often seen as a TV series. Incidentally, his second-best is exactly that, too. This is one of the reasons I didn't include him. I like his work but I'm not a Fassbinder head. Talk to @mark f if you want a Fassbinder fan.
I don't think Miike is a good director. He's that infamous dude who directed 100 films and not a single masterpiece. I do owe Audition a rewatch but I'm not very eager to rewatch it, as Miike is always a disappointment to me. For reference, my favorite Miike out of 4 of his I've seen is Visitor Q. I rated it
. Not even all films rated
made it to the final list.
I'm more of a Godard guy. 400 Blows is really the only Truffaut film I'd consider a masterpiece, but apparently not good enough to make the list. To make it clear, he made several other great films (like Fassbinder) but the bar to enter the list was just too high for him.
Fassbinder is a huge blind spot for me yet, so I still need to go through his films. But I know his work is spoken with reverence by most.

Miike is in a weird spot for me, as I’ve seen a handful of his films, but his rather large filmography makes it difficult to navigate. So far , I’ve enjoyed most of what I’ve seen, and I still think Audition is amazing. Going to dig further into his films next year.

Truffaut is a director I’ve enjoyed but I don’t know if I can truly say I’ve loved any of his films yet, and I agree with you on giving Godard the edge over him, so far. Still going through both of their filmographies as well.

Which directors just missed your cut off, and what would have been their film you would have selected for them?
Thank you for answering, btw. I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I do appreciate the time.

Which directors just missed your cut off, and what would have been their film you would have selected for them?
I just spent some time looking for the runners-up but unfortunately, the only file with a promising title ("TOP500") in fact only had 300 films and was filled with the exact same films as the list in this thread.

Anyway, questions are good. I like to answer them if I can.

The trick is not minding
I just spent some time looking for the runners-up but unfortunately, the only file with a promising title ("TOP500") in fact only had 300 films and was filled with the exact same films as the list in this thread.

Anyway, questions are good. I like to answer them if I can.
Oh well.
Have you considered doing a top 100 or whatever list of the previous decade, as well? Or any decade really.

Have you considered doing [...] whatever list
Nah, I'm not interested in making any more lists at the moment. I've become less interested in socializing around the Internet, too. I'm tightening my hermit ways! Haha!

The trick is not minding
Thought of a few more questions regarding film movements represented in your list.

I already know you’re not much of a fan in Romanian New Wave, but there were a few I noticed that were either absent, or not well represented: Dogme 95 and Taiwanese new Wave.

I did see Terrorizers by Yang, which is a good film. I didn’t notice any other.
Dogme 95 films surprised me slightly, as I recall you mentioning that you liked films from that movement.

Were there any particular reason for these absences? Or is it merely a case of not having enough room in your top 300 for them?

The trick is not minding
Going through this and looking up films to watch from this list, I realized you have Jun Ichikawa twice.
At #200 with Tony Takitani, and #48 with Dying at a Hospital. Looks like the only director to appear twice, as far as I can tell, which I know you were trying to avoid.

Surprised you're surprised because It's been on my list of favorites here on MoFo since I joined and a favorite of mine since I first watched it in August 2012. It's also one of the films that managed to keep their position in my TOP 10, but that might be because I rewatched it in 2019. It's funny how sometimes you are afraid to rewatch your favorites, fearing you will not love them as much on a second watch, but then rewatch them and find yourself loving them even more. I also rewatched Ugetsu and was slightly disappointed with it. Theoretically, it's perfect and it's a masterpiece, but it didn't quite hit me the way Sansho did.

Sansho the Bailiff is an outstanding humanistic masterpiece. Best Japanese film, best melodrama, top 10 ever. On my rewatch I already started crying within the first 15 minutes or so, which is crazy, and after it ended I found myself in a literal puddle of tears, and no, my bladder's fine. If you analyze my favorites you will find out most movies fall in one of the few categories that I usually champion. This one falls into two.
Apologies for replying 2 years late. Sansho was one of my favorites which I appreciated even more upon rewatch, especially after going through the classics and New Waves etc.. Ugetsu, Oharu and Story of Last Chrysanthemums aren't even close to it, and these are also masterpieces which rival the bests films made by many classical japanese directors.

Curious to know your opinion on Naruse. I consider him my favorite Japanese director, and his extensive body of work is rather remarkable. As we grow older, we start appreciating works with more grace, refinement, quietness, delicacy, finesse and subtlety. There are some who return to more kitschy bombastic camp but I rather sip fine wine than drown in beer.

Oh, and I still have yet to get around to Yoji Yamada.