RIP Charlie Watts

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Charlie Watts was different from his band mates, who all welcomed the spotlight and fame that came with it. Watts preferred a quieter lifestyle, it has been said.
I wonder if Gulfport Doc has any interesting stories about him from his days touring?

This is a funny story I’ve read about Watts: One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my %#*! singer!"

The trick is not minding
Literally the best drummer rock and roll ever had to offer.

I assume this is the official end of the Stones. I can't see Richards continuing without him.

Hard to say. I forget who replaced Watts on their recent tour, but I wonder if they would offer him a permanent spot for future performances?

Charlie Watts was different from his band mates, who all welcomed the spotlight and fame that came with it. Watts preferred a quieter lifestyle, it has been said.
I wonder if Gulfport Doc has any interesting stories about him from his days touring?

This is a funny story I’ve read about Watts: One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my %#*! singer!"
That's amazing

Hehehe, I like this guy. 80 years old and a drummer for Rolling Stones. He had, as much as it's out of my style for me to say this, a blessed life. RS is a brilliant band responsible for several of the greatest rock albums ever.

Exactly what I thought of when I heard he'd passed, other than "Damn!" I hope they hang it up now. I just can't see the Stones without him. It'd be like the Eagles still going on, as they are, with only one founding member left (Don Henley). They should have called it quits when Glenn Frey died. Anyway, I hope the Stones quit out of respect for Charlie.

According to Richards, Watts nearly knocked Jagger out of an open window into the Amstel River.

He's the best rock drummer because he knew the importance of staying in the pocket, Al Jackson/Stax-style, never playing more than what was necessary, and with a snare-snap (Satisfaction, Paint It Black, Let's Spend the Night Together) that could instantly hot-wire the nervous system. His jazz albims from the 90s showed how sophisticated he could actually be, instead of showing off to the arenas. The epitome of cool.

The trick is not minding
According to Richards, Watts nearly knocked Jagger out of an open window into the Amstel River.

He's the best rock drummer because he knew the importance of staying in the pocket, Al Jackson/Stax-style, never playing more than what was necessary, and with a snare-snap (Satisfaction, Paint It Black, Let's Spend the Night Together) that could instantly hot-wire the nervous system. His jazz albims from the 90s showed how sophisticated he could actually be, instead of showing off to the arenas. The epitome of cool.
I think I read that in Richards autobiography he released a decade ago. Btw, if anyone ever wants to read some good stuff about the Stones, His autobiography is a good place to start.

I think I read that in Richards autobiography he released a decade ago. Btw, if anyone ever wants to read some good stuff about the Stones, His autobiography is a good place to start.
If only Charlie had sat for an autobiography, but then that would fly in the face of his discreet allure. He's known more than he could tell.

A Charlie Watts-Centric View of the Rolling Stones

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
Charlie’s always there, but he doesn’t want to let everybody know. There’s very few drummer’s like that. Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts IS the Stones.

Renowned Rolling Stones drummer, has passed away at age 80.
Didn’t notice this other thread until just now. S’okay, Charlie deserves more than one thread.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=64653

Hard to say. I forget who replaced Watts on their recent tour, but I wonder if they would offer him a permanent spot for future performances?
Steve Jordan? He’s the guy going with them on their new tour.

I loved Keef’s biography.

I saw the Stones live about 100 years ago, they were amazing...RIP, Charlie.
LOL, they’re old, but not that old.

My favorite band, I always figured Charlie would be the last to go.

RIP
One would think Keef would go first he’s led such a crazy drug-addled life.

Amazing when one thinks of it: the drummer for The Rolling Stones was 80 years old. Hard to comprehend.