Was this a stupid academy decision?

Tools    

Many film professors and scholars feel it absurd that Rocky won best picture at 1976 and that Taxi Driver should have been easy winner; or maybe even Network. A lot of film professors do not like Sylvester Stallone as good actor so maybe are biased against his film on such grounds?

your take?

All I know Pulp Fiction lost, Goodfellas lost, Julia Roberts won over Ellen Burstyn (brockovich over requiem), Crash over Brokeback etc. etc. etc.

plus don't forget no memorial for dan o'bannon either.

ignore the oscars, best thing to do ... made my life better ... ha ha

Taxi Driver clearly should have won that year, and this is coming from a guy who only recently watched it.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Many film professors and scholars feel it absurd that Rocky won best picture at 1976 and that Taxi Driver should have been easy winner; or maybe even Network. A lot of film professors do not like Sylvester Stallone as good actor so maybe are biased against his film on such grounds?

your take?
Is this a stupid decision? No, it's a matter of opinion, nothing more, there is no "Best Picture," that title doesn't belong to Taxi Driver, Rocky, Network, or any other movie. Honestly, I hate Award shows at least in that sense, because most of the time, it's usually a bunch of schmucks dissecting movies and pretending like they carry this uncanny understanding of what makes a good film. There is no written recipe for greatness, and there is more than one form of greatness, it's up to the individual to decide whether something is great, and just because you think it is great, it doesn't mean somebody else doesn't find it to be ****. I think that is a mind-set that has been lost a lot of the time, a diminishing idea of individualism, as if there's no opinion but rather a single mind-frame that movies such as The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Citizen Kane, Network, Rocky, Casablanca, and films like that are the only ones that deserve to be in contention. They may be great movies, and I believe some of them are, but I have also seen other movies that I might think are better. Some might disagree, some might say the movies that I like are ****, and I might turn around and say the same about some movies that they may like. It is opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

The simple fact is that there is no contention, every award show in existence is nothing but bias, and that's the end of it. Rant over.

Scorsese didn't win an Oscar for Taxi Driver, Goodfellas or Raging Bull, yet he won for The Departed. An example of why the awards shouldn't be taken too seriously.

But at the end of the day, it's all a matter of opinion and personal taste, as the poster above me said.

Finished here. It's been fun.
They sometimes get it right, and sometimes they are completely off. Like BlueLion said its all a matter of opinion and preference, although last year's best picture winner Argo is a perfect example of a mediocre film getting the win.

As I mentioned before,it just proves that usually a good film wins Best Picture.Rarely the best one.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Rocky was an optimistic and bright tale. A feel-good piece that was very alive, confident, and spirited - a film that displayed the best of America and the American Dream. Taxi Driver was a bleak and honest portrayal of a man who fought in one of the most ambivalent, unpopular, and damaging wars in US history. It bravely and audaciously depicted the decaying, crumbling nature of the American city and showed a nation in ruins, decline, and turmoil as opposed to one of opportunity and hope like in Rocky.

They are both excellent films, and it's completely understandable the Academy selected Rocky as Best Picture. Also, let's not forget, this was Stallone's real first breakthrough role, and, at the time of the films' release, he was actually being hailed as the next Marlo Brando. No kidding. Along comes this guy who not only gives an impeccable performance but also a guy that had an instrumental role in the overall creative process of the film as he wrote the film by himself. Fast forward to the present day and such a claim is amusing and baseless because we've seen how Stallone's career has unfolded (good actor, but honestly nothing more than that), but you can understand the Academy's optimism back in 1976.

Biggest travesty in the Oscar's history is Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakesphere In Love in my humble opinion. Makes me cringe at the thought. Just recently I thought Christoh Waltz, winning best supporting actor for Django, was quite the joke. Not because he was bad, quite great actually, but because he was the 3rd best supporting role in the movie!!! Leo and Samuel L were more memorable then him. And they didn't even get nominated! At least they should have been nominated over him.

Also the fact Shawshank didn't get an Oscar makes me sad. It's the movie that propelled me into loving movies. I'm a little more forgiving in that instance because Forrest Gump gave me the same inspiration plus it was a stacked year, Pulp Fiction deserved it too.

But it is an absolutely a matter of opinion and honestly momentum. Sometimes movies just have a great marketing Oscar campaign and the Academy gets suckered in by it, even if the movie doesn't hold up over time as earning it. But that's what makes it fun the debate!

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I don't what stupid criteria they use to give the awards but I am happy they gave it to Rocky.An extraordinary film.

Today it is judged using different criteria:
DeNiro is a universally accepted as a great actor.Stallone is a bigger star but isn't a good actor.Rocky had several sequels.Most of which were successful at the Box office but not critically acclaimed.

It is opinion, nothing more and nothing less.
Honestly, I hate Award shows at least in that sense, because most of the time, it's usually a bunch of schmucks dissecting movies and pretending like they carry this uncanny understanding of what makes a good film.
So true