Is Tom Hanks the most successful actor both commercially and critically?

Tools    

When was the last real relevant Tom Hanks film? One where people actually went to see the movie just because of him. Castaway?
A few months ago, I watched Larry Crowne. The biggest draw for me to see it was Tom Hanks. I love Tom Hanks, even though I haven't seen all of his major movies, like The Green Mile.

Well... Larry Crowne sucks. It's a stupid movie and Julia Roberts should die. Tom Hanks is also looking old and I don't like it. It doesn't flatter him. I think Tom Hanks' heyday from the 90's is over, but I love the nostalgia, and I think Larry Crowne was an attempt to get that nostalgia, but it JUST WAS NOT A GOOD MOVIE AT ALL.

Originally Posted by akatemple
I can watch Castaway over and over and never get tired of it.
I don't know about now, but I did watch that movie twice when it came out at the movie theatre, and I wasn't bored either time.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I love Tom Hanks. Favourite actor growing up, and a lot of films starring him would make my top 100, no question. His voicework as Woody is superb, as is his iconic performance as Forrest Gump. I really loved him in Cast Away, but I believe it's between that and Saving Private Ryan for the title of his finest work on film. His performance, along with Spielberg's direction, really holds that film together.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Larry Crowne argh.....nice things happen to a nice guy....the end.

Suspect's Reviews

Larry Crowne argh.....nice things happen to a nice guy....the end.
Was that the one where he had about 3 secretaries who were hot? And they wanted to do unspeakable things to him? lol!

No, he goes back to school, falls in love, becomes popular and aces tests.

oh yeah, spoiler.
No s***!? Maybe I was watching the wrong Movie....?

I had to look it up, it's the Charlie Wilson's War I'm f****** stupid. I really don't like Julia Roberts, eventhough she is a Scorpio...that's probably why...lol!

[quote=Sexy Celebrity;842016]A few months ago, I watched Larry Crowne. The biggest draw for me to see it was Tom Hanks. I love Tom Hanks, even though I haven't seen all of his major movies, like The Green Mile.]

You should definitely make it a point to watch The Green Mile. Next to Shawshank Redemption probably the best prison movie ever.

Tom Hanks' best moment on screen is still that scene in Cast Away where he manages to create a fire. That hilarious look on his face and ditto line is priceless and to top it off, he gets all spastic with his arms:

My girlfriend at the time told me like 5 times that I had to stop laughing ('it wasn't that funny') and I actually had to exit the theater briefly because I was still in stitches 10 minutes after Hanks did all that crazy *****. I don't think I've ever had that much fun in a movie theater since.

I will forever be indebted to Tom Hanks for that scene.

Nobody has mentioned that Tom Hanks was also the executive producer for one of my favorite christmas movies, The Polar Express. not to mention he was the voice actors for almost half of the characters in that movie.

I just found out that Samuel L. Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time. Now when I think of him I think of Pulp Fiction. But he has been in all three of the star wars prequels, The Avengers, The Incredibles, Thor, Iron Man 1 and two, and other high grossing films. Hanks movies have made a ton of cash. But Jackson has him there.

I just found out that Samuel L. Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time. Now when I think of him I think of Pulp Fiction. But he has been in all three of the star wars prequels, The Avengers, The Incredibles, Thor, Iron Man 1 and two, and other high grossing films. Hanks movies have made a ton of cash. But Jackson has him there.
Jackson is highest grossing actor of all time.
But the movie will run the same without him.

As Nick Fury,he is appearing in all super-hit movies for ten minutes and his resume is increasing by 500 million dollars at a minimum

I would want to say yes because Hanks has been a box office powerhouse for years, but I feel he just doesn't have the draw he used to. I think as this new generations are coming up, they don't know about Hanks and aren't as excited about his movies as much as some of the older generations.

Problem is that these days a movie's theatre run profits are misleading as you still get a lot from Blu-ray, DVD, streaming. Even when you're basing things on purely theatre profits, a movie has to gross at least 2 X its budget to be profitable and more overseas. Which means that Tom has had at least several flops in 20 years.

I would want to say yes because Hanks has been a box office powerhouse for years, but I feel he just doesn't have the draw he used to. I think as this new generations are coming up, they don't know about Hanks and aren't as excited about his movies as much as some of the older generations.
I do agree that Tom Hanks movies don't make money like before.He did have a golden run though in the 90's.Nowdays,very few actors draw money solely on their name value alone.The only 80's guy among them is Tom Cruise.

Problem is that these days a movie's theatre run profits are misleading as you still get a lot from Blu-ray, DVD, streaming. Even when you're basing things on purely theatre profits, a movie has to gross at least 2 X its budget to be profitable and more overseas. Which means that Tom has had at least several flops in 20 years.
I agree that Tom Hanks has had a few flops in recent times.

But I don't agree with this 2X figure.It varies from movie to movie.Forrest Gump made losses.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yes

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I have some sort of an obsession when it comes to numbers, and one think that I have always done is add-up the amount of money that an actor or actress has made world-wide. The difference from other online websites is that I add my own discretion in tallying up the box-office draw. Basically, if the actor or actress only makes a cameo or only has a minor-role, I don't count them. The numbers are usually quite a ways off, but it gives a "so-so" idea for what they've got. It's long, but my hope is that it might serve a purpose in the "commercial" portion of this thread. This is a "by movie" thing, but adding up their box-office tally as a whole.

Gary Oldman: 9299
Samuel L. Jackson: 8563
Tom Hanks: 8236
Emma Watson: 8023
Morgan Freeman: 7960
Johnny Depp: 7923
Tom Cruise: 7868
Bruce Willis: 7527
Eddie Murphy: 7322
Liam Neeson: 7311
Harrison Ford: 6787
Will Smith: 6642
Cameron Diaz: 6582
Robert Downey Jr.: 6451
Orlando Bloom: 6369
Brad Pitt: 6317
Michael Caine: 6281
Cate Blanchett: 6421
Ben Stiller: 6136
Ian McKellen: 6124
Leonardo DiCaprio: 6001
Ralph Fiennes: 5964
Sigourney Weaver: 5848
Robin Williams: 5802
Julia Roberts: 5563
Matt Damon: 5490
Robert De Niro: 5440
Nicholas Cage: 5314
Helana Bonham Carter: 5066
Dustin Hoffman: 4962
Tommy Lee Jones: 4839
Angelina Jolie: 4730
Hugh Jackman: 4632
Sylvester Stallone: 4618
Jim Carey: 4422
Mel Gibson: 4418
Mike Meyers: 4392
John Travolta: 4371
Kathy Bates: 4317
Christian Bale: 4298
John Goodman: 4298
Steve Buscemi: 4277
Kristen Stewart: 4232
James Franco: 4184
Natalie Portman: 4133
Keanu Reeves: 4108
Arnold Swartzeneggar: 4103
Dwayne Johnson: 4097
Scarlett Johanson: 3882
Adam Sandler: 3878
Jon Voight: 3800
Willem Dafoe: 3798
George Clooney: 3713
Anthony Hopkins: 3659
Sandra Bullock: 3616
Seth Rogen: 3609
Jack Black: 3596
Steve Carrell: 3582
Halle Barry: 3471
Ben Kingsley: 3437
Tobey Maguire: 3410
Mark Whalberg: 3387
Ben Affleck: 3184
Sean Connery: 3178
Jamie Foxx: 3152
Michael Keaton: 3127
Joseph-Gorden Levitt: 3090
Jack Nicholson: 3059
Tim Allen: 3055
Mark Ruffalo: 3046
Vin Diesel: 2974
Michelle Pfeiffer: 2850
Ryan Reynolds: 2582
Clint Eastwood: 2509
Chris Hemsworth: 2568
Gerard Butler: 2432
Vince Vaugn: 2424
John Cussack: 2288
Patrick Stewart: 2216
Jennifer Aniston: 2105
Josh Hutcherson: 2041
Justin Long: 1974
Justin Timberlake: 1959
Jason Stathem: 1953
Leslie Mann: 1930
Reese Whitherspoon: 1941
Mila Kunis: 1879
Jake Gyllenhaal: 1821
Mark Hamill: 1810
Elizabeth Banks: 1749
Jason Segel: 1723
Jamie Lee Curtis: 1677
Edward Norton: 1673
Ron Perlman: 1658
Neal Patrick Harris: 1654
Heather Graham: 1592
Miranda Cosgrove: 1550
Brad Douriff: 1550
Chris Pine: 1540
Jesse Eisenberg: 1425
Zooey Deschanel: 1375
Jennifer Lawrence: 1353
Bryan Cranston: 1342
Jason Biggs: 1302
Matthew Lillard: 1299
Vera Farmiga: 1254
Patrick Wilson: 1248
Andrew Garfield: 1188
Jaden Smith: 1143
Patrick Swayze: 1075
Hillary Swank: 978
Tara Reid: 951
Logan Lerman: 914
Katie Holmes: 882
Ethan Hawke: 878
David Arquette: 867
Zach Braff: 866
Chloe Grace Moretz: 862
Daniel Day-Lewis: 855
Emma Roberts: 815
Neve Campbell: 760
Ryan Gosling: 751
Will Poulter: 695
Nick Swardson: 652
Danny Trejo: 649
Miley Cyrus: 645
Selena Gomez: 553
Jackie Earl Haley: 535
Frank Welker: 484
Dane Cook: 456
Charlie Hunnam: 428
Robert Englund: 367
Hulk Hogan: 334
Bill Cosby: 225
Will Wheaton: 138
Bruce Campbell: 123
Jane Levy: 109
John Cena: 50
Daniel Tosh: 41
Roddy Piper: 25
Glen Jacobs: 15
Victoria Justice: 11

It doesn't include a couple of noteworthy movies like Gravity, Frozen, or the new Hobbit, because I like to wait until they're fully released, so I don't have to redo the math. The numbers represent "millions" made by the way.

Edit: Keep in-mind, it doesn't adjust for inflation, so somebody like, say, Jack Nicholson, has technically made much more.

^Thanks for the list.I am also somewhat obsessed with numbers.

It's one way of looking at things.But in today's age,franchises do huge numbers irrespective of who is in the movie.

For example:Samuel Jackson and Gary Oldman play supporting roles in blockbuster movies which increases their numbers.They can't pull box office numbers on their name value alone like a Tom Cruise.

Then,there's someone like RDJ who has been widely thought as responsible for the success of Iron Man.IronMan 1 had a 100 million opening weekend when RDJ was a nobody in terms of BO success.I ask myself,"What's the biggest reason for the success of Iron Man?Is it RDJ or is the Marvel brand itself?"

Then there's someone like Johnny Depp whose movies make a ******** of money when he is in POTC(It was a success solely because of him) or Tim Burton fantasies.Yet his other movies do average business.