Captain Marvel

Tools    

I've been enthused or intrigued by almost every Marvel project coming out recently except this one. Just because I know what they will release will be much more shallow than the original stories origin.

Weird...
Captain Marvel and Shazam! being released in the same year...

Except that "Shazam!" is a word uttered by Captain Marvel to change Billy Batson into an adult superhero (named Captain Marvel) and it's actually the name of an old wizard that gives Billy his Captain Marvel powers...
And the old wizard's name itself is an acronym that stands for the names of Greco-Roman gods (and one Old Testament biblical historical person for some reason).

Weird...
Captain Marvel and Shazam! being released in the same year...

Except that "Shazam!" is a word uttered by Captain Marvel to change Billy Batson into an adult superhero (named Captain Marvel) and it's actually the name of an old wizard that gives Billy his Captain Marvel powers...
And the old wizard's name itself is an acronym that stands for the names of Greco-Roman gods (and one Old Testament biblical historical person for some reason).

I guess the bitterness over the lawsuits that took place in the 70s still stands.

The story behind it all is that Marvel created Captain Marvel in the 60s... then in 1972, DC licensed a character called Captain Marvel from Fawcett Comics, but because a character with such a name already exists, there was a big lawsuit and DC lost, meaning they had to release the actual comic under the title of "Shazam!"... but in said comic, the character himself was always referred to in dialogue as Captain Marvel.

I'm as big as a Marvel fan as there is yet Brie's baffling and divisive exclusionary statements recently has officially turned me off of this film. I've literally spent THOUSANDS on MCU movie tickets but I refuse to pay to see this one. WTF was Marvel thinking?

Welcome to the human race...
I'm as big as a Marvel fan as there is yet Brie's baffling and divisive exclusionary statements recently has officially turned me off of this film. I've literally spent THOUSANDS on MCU movie tickets but I refuse to pay to see this one. WTF was Marvel thinking?

Maybe they were thinking that they don't need to waste any time on reactionary white male jackasses like the one in that video whose prefabricated complaints against Captain Marvel consist of vacuous nonsense like "she doesn't smile enough" or "she's a Mary Sue". If you were that much of a Marvel fanatic that you've spent quote-unquote thousands on movie tickets (which also begs the question of how you even managed to do that), then even this shouldn't stop you.

A system of cells interlinked
I find her comments a bit annoying, too, but not annoying enough to boycott the flick. Along with Tom Cruise and some other kind of odd personalities in Hollywood, I try to separate the films from the actors and their real world conduct.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not exactly excited about this, but I feel like I should have more faith in Marvel; they're almost always at least enjoyable.

I'm not exactly excited about this, but I feel like I should have more faith in Marvel; they're almost always at least enjoyable.
Exactly the same boat here. I'd probably not see it in theaters except I assume it's going to setup something important for Endgame.

I'm actually *super* excited for this one. I think it looks great.

A system of cells interlinked
I will be seeing it, but probably with a friend of mine from work, as my wife has taken a strong dislike to the character just from the trailers.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
CM getting slaughtered by audiences, another massive critic/audience disparity or are we blaming 4Chan again?

Reports that the mid credit scene is a big tie in with Endgame, think I'll you tube that.

Welcome to the human race...
What, did you really think the review-bombers would give up just because RT closed down pre-release ratings for a week? That's the problem with these goons - thanks to them, we'll never know for sure how much the user-based metric is an honest reflection of an audience consensus.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
You will be able to tell based on the amount of reviews. If CM has a statistically high number of a audience reviews then sure you could conclude that it's getting review bombed, if however the amount of reviews is par for the course then the scores look legit.

Are there any other examples where a comic book movie has changed the sex of a main character?

You will be able to tell based on the amount of reviews. If CM has a statistically high number of a audience reviews then sure you could conclude that it's getting review bombed, if however the amount of reviews is par for the course then the scores look legit.
That's not how that works at all, for a reasons both logistical and statistical.

Let's just stop drawing broad cultural conclusions from easily manipulated numbers we can't really verify. Especially since we have a lot of evidence that the formula is just each person asking themselves what they already thought and either being skeptical or credulous based on that.