Best Cinematography Oscar 2019

Tools    

The Oscar for Best Cinematography goes to...?
7.14%
1 votes
COLD WAR
21.43%
3 votes
THE FAVOURITE
0%
0 votes
NEVER LOOK AWAY
64.29%
9 votes
ROMA
7.14%
1 votes
A STAR IS BORN
14 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five films and Directors of Photography nominated for Best Cinematography are....

Cold War, Łukasz Żal

The Favourite, Robbie Ryan

Never Look Away, Caleb Deschanel

Roma, Alfonso Cuarón

A Star is Born, Matthew Libatique
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm clueless with this category.

Who's been getting the most buzz? Anybody know?
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

These nearly match the nominees for the American Society of Cinematographers annual award. That guild also nominated Roma, A Star is Born, Cold War, and The Favourite. Where they differ is in place of Never Look Away the ASC nominated Linus Sandgren's work on First Man.

The ASC hands out their award on February 9th. The two bodies differed two years ago when the ASC gave their top prize to Greig Fraser for Lion while the Academy went with Linus Sandgren and La La Land. The other four of the last five years were all matches with Roger Deakins earning his elusive Oscar for Blade Runner 2049 last year and agreement that Emmanuel Lubezki was the best around for three years in a row with Gravity, Birdman, and The Revenant. Going back to the 2012 to 2009 awards they differed three out of the four years. 2012: Skyfall(ASC)/Life of Pi (Oscar), 2011: The Tree of Life (ASC)/Hugo (Oscar), and 2009: White Ribbon (ASC)/Avatar (Oscar), plus five more splits out of nine going back to 2000.

Which is to say the Academy members who vote, they regularly value different things than the cinematographers themselves.

Over the weekend the American Society of Cinematographers handed out their annual awards and the big winner for theatrical release was Łukasz Żal. As I detailed above the ASC Award and the Oscar winner for cinematography has matched up only nine of the last eighteen years, and that is better than its historical average. Going back to the inception of the ASC Award in 1986, the two awards have only matched fourteen out of those thirty-two years.

There are some unusual aspects to this year's five Oscar nominees. Three of the nominees are from foreign language films. That has never happened before. The Academy hadn't really ever nominated cinematography from anywhere other than the U.S. and Great Britain until the 1980s, outside of a couple big international co-productions in Is Paris Burning (1966) and Tora, Tora, Tora (1970). If you think back on all the magnificent, influential international cinema prior to the 1980s it is astounding none of it was even nominated.

In 1982 Jost Vacano was nominated for his work on Wolfgang Petersen's Das Boot (where Gandhi won) and the very next year came the first international winner when one of those overseas masters, Sven Nykvist, won for Ingmar Bergman's Fanny & Alexander (1983). But throughout the rest of the '80s and '90s international nominees were still rare with only RAN (1985), Farewell My Concubine (1993), and Shanghai Triad (1995) garnering nods.

In the 21st Century, at last, it has become more common. Peter Pau kicked it off with a win for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. 2003 saw César Charlone nominated for the Brazilian hit City of God. The next year saw the first time two foreign language films received nominations in this category with Zhao Xiaoding for The House of Flying Daggers and Caleb Deschanel for The Passion of the Christ. In 2006 Guillermo Navarro won for Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth and in 2007 Janusz Kamiński got a nod for Schnabel's The Diving Bell & the Butterfly.

In this decade the only two previous nominees were Philippe Le Sourd for The Grandmaster (2013) and Łukasz Żal and Ryszard Lenczewski co-nominated for Paweł Pawlikowski's Ida (2014), when Emmanuel Lubezki won his first two of three in a row for Gravity and Birdman. And now this year, THREE of the nominees are for foreign language films.

Another anomaly this year is that there are two nominees shot in black & white.

From 1940 to 1966 the Oscars handed out two awards for cinematography: one for color, one for black & white. Starting in 1967 the decrease in black and white productions had the Academy condense the category to only five nominees simply called Best Achievement in Cinematography. Since then, from 1967 to 2017 there were only eleven B&W films that managed Oscar nominations. Eleven if fifty years.They are In Cold Blood, The Last Picture Show, Lenny, Raging Bull, Schindler's List, The Man Who Wasn't There, Good Night and Good Luck, The White Ribbon, The Artist, Nebraska, and Ida. The only one of those to win was Janusz Kamiński for Schindler's List. And now, this year, for the first time since the category was merged, there are two black & white films up for the Oscar.

Caleb Deschanel (yes, the father of Zooey & Emily) is the nominee with the most previous nods. This is his sixth. Caleb was previously Oscar nominated for The Right Stuff, The Natural, Fly Away Home, The Patriot, and The Passion of the Christ. He has never won. His nomination for Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's German film Never Look Away was one of the surprises nomination morning and his odds of winning are virtually nonexistent, but obviously this veteran DP whose unnominated work includes The Black Stallion, Being There, National Treasure, Killer Joe, Jack Reacher and the upcoming live-action remake of Disney's The Lion King is massively respected, even if the Oscar statue has eluded him to date.

This is Irish-born Robbie Ryan's first Oscar nomination. He made his mark lensing the films of Andrea Arnold including Red Road, Fish Tank, and American Honey and some of his other credits include John Maclean's Slow West, Stephen Frears' Philomena, Noah Baumbach's The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected), and Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake. His first pairing with Yorgos Lanthimos for The Favourite has landed him on the awards circuit. Their dark, twisted vision of the historical royal epic includes some unusual techniques like the use of the fish-eye lens instead of the panoramic vistas of manicured grounds and the lush trappings of a castle that are usually employed when this material is played straight (as in this year's Mary Queen of Scots, for example). It isn't the kind of photography that usually wins Oscars, but the nomination is nice. And Robbie Ryan should be returning to this category in the decades to come.

A Star is Born's Matthew Libatique has one previous nomination, for Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan (Wally Pfister won for Inception). Some of his other credits include Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, and Noah with Aronofsky, She Hate Me, Inside Man, Miracle at St. Anna, and Chi-Raq for Spike Lee, F. Gary Gray's Straight Outta Compton, and even big budget comic book flicks in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Cowboys & Aliens, this year's Venom, and the upcoming Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). The mix of working more arthouse and the mainstream means he has an excellent chance of returning many times as an Oscar nominee. His shooting of Bradley Cooper's debut was quite masterful, glamorous yet somehow still gritty. He probably isn't going to win but the nomination is well deserved.

Łukasz Żal winning the ASC Award doesn't make him a lock to win here, but it certainly makes him a contender. Paweł Pawlikowski's Polish 1960s set Cold War has been garnering all sorts of awards attention, including a surprise Oscar nomination for Best Director. Their previous collaboration, Ida (also shot in black and white), was a bit of a surprise cinematography nomination at the 2015 ceremony, and they may make the leap to Oscar winners here. The period and mood captured in the deep blacks perfectly suit the narrative. Whether Żal remains in Poland or is lured to America for bigger budgets he is clearly already a talent in his field.

Three foreign language films and two black and white nominees are unprecedented, but the third never before aspect comes in Alfonso Cuarón's nomination here. Alfonso received nominations as producer for Best Picture, as Best Director, and his Best Original Screenplay. But his nomination for Best Cinematography is the historic one. A handful of directors have served as their own DPs over the years, but it is rare. And while a filmmaker who also acts and writes and produces in addition to their directing is celebrated by the corresponding disciplines, when they start taking credit as editors and cinematographers they have been much less likely to get nominations and awards.

But Cuarón's extremely personal passion project is so well shot, even the cinematographers who are Academy members and do the nominating couldn't ignore it. It is lush and dreamlike and even audiences who don't care for the movie have to be impressed with the photography, even if they only saw it on their home screens streaming through Netflix. The other Academy members who will now vote on the ballot, the actors, directors, costume designers, musicians, and all the rest will not have the same inherent bias that may have given Łukasz Żal the edge in the American Society of Cinematographers voting. Whether or not Roma wins Best Picture, Alfonso Cuarón seems to have a near lock on both the Director and Cinematography Oscars.

As for yesterday's news that Best Cinematography is one of the four categories that will not be handed out live during the Oscars broadcast (along with Best Editing, Live-Action Short, and Makeup & Hairstyling), I am not happy. At all. Obviously.

Here is a tweet from Oscar winner Guillermo De Toro that was shared on three-time Oscar-winning cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki's Instagram...

Stupid fu*kers.

No offense to those of you that may be super fans of Sound Mixing and Sound Effects Editing the way I am of Cinematography, but how the hell are those still in but Editing and Cinematography are OUT?!?

Fu*kers

For the record those four categories will be streamed live online, for those of us who care, but are not in the broadcast. Though portions of the acceptance speeches are supposed to be broadcast afterwards, but still during the telecast.

I understand Makeup and Live Action Short (the latter in particular), but Editing and Cinematography seem like they really, really need to be in the telecast.

If I had my druthers (WHO KEEPS TAKING MY DRUTHERS), and I had to remove four from the broadcast, I'd remove:

Live Action Short
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Best Documentary Short

Yup. I saw that Disney conspiracy theory/realization floating around as well. They don't have nominees for Documentary Feature or Foreign Language Feature either, but those are being broadcast.

I think it has more to do with crowd-pleasers Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Quiet Place being in the sound categories, the kind of movies that may be drawing first time viewers or those who rarely watch, so they can root for those personal favorites. The kind of thirteen and seventeen-year-olds who are active on social media likely care less about Cold War than they do about Black Panther. I guess?

However they made this decision, it's a poor one.

I disagree about removing sound mixing and editing. That is such a challenging job to do right, and their work 98% of the time goes unnoticed unless you're into filmmaking.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that... NONE OF THE CATEGORIES SHOULD GET CUT OUT. Every job is important. The Oscars should be adding categories, not cutting them out of the broadcast.

I echo Holden Pike: stupid f*ckers.

Yeah, I'd feel lame ditching both sound categories, but as you say, it's kinda tough to cut anything. Those are just the ones I felt least bad cutting (and, admittedly, the ones I think the viewers probably care least about). I think most years they don't care much about documentaries, either, but occasionally those achieve some mainstream success relative to the Documentary Shorts, which is why I kept that one in there.

I think the problem is there are clearly totally different priorities depending on whether or not the point is to appreciate filmmakers, or attract viewers/put on a good show in its own right. That's the problem with trying to have your formal recognition double as entertainment itself.

I think the problem is there are clearly totally different priorities depending on whether or not the point is to appreciate filmmakers, or attract viewers/put on a good show in its own right. That's the problem with trying to have your formal recognition double as entertainment itself.
Yeah, I get it realistically, but if the Oscars are cutting out categories they should stop claiming to be about appreciating filmmakers and just admit every decision they make is about ratings or whatever.

On a related note I went to see the Oscar-nominated live-action shorts at my local theater yesterday.

I'm glad I did. Some great - albeit very bleak - stuff there this year.