Ufc

Tools    

What did you guys think of ufc 136. Dana called Franky number 2 pound 4 pound in mma, does anyone agree.

few great cards coming up over the next few month's, ime looking forward to 140 and 141.

Good event, probably the best I've seen all year.The prelims were bloody good and all of the main card fights were good - great, except Aldo-Florian. I made some money off Lauzon. Had him winning via sub and it paid off big time.

No, I wouldn't call Edgar the # 2 fighter in the world. Maybe he has the biggest heart in all of MMA. He put on a good show. He's like a little pocket dynamo, dashing in and out with quick strikes and kicks, mixed in with the occassional takedown attempt to keep his opponent guessing. Very impressed that he took out Maynard. Still, there's a murderer's row of challengers waiting for him. Henderson (if he gets by Guida), Melendez and Cerrone. If he beats all of those guys, then I'd consider putting him in the # 2 slot.

Right now, I've got:

# 1: Anderson
# 2: GSP (like him or not, he's the dominant champ in the second deepest weight class in UFC)
# 3: Aldo
# 4: Cruz
# 5: Edgar
# 6: Jones
# 7: Alvarez
# 8: McCall (the smallest guys are often overlooked)
# 9: Fitch
# 10: Condit (no joke)

I thought that it was a great event too. Edgar vs Maynard 3 was as good as their second encounter. Quite weird how the fight almost mirrored the second, aswell; Edgar takes a vicious beating in the 1st round and then shows unparalleled fighting spirit by coming back to win rounds. Edgar really is the answer and his performance was simply incredible. Very well rounded, physical tough and brave. Probably the most inspiring performance of the year.

Would anybody be up for seeing an Edgar vs Aldo match? Edgar walk around at his weight class, so he'd only have to cut a measly 10lbs of water weight to fight Edgar. If he successfully defends his title against the winner of Bendo/Guida then I would like to see him and Aldo go at it.

Well Penn and Nick just about saved what was a pretty lackluster card.

What do you guys think of the upcoming ufc events. Some great main events coming up over the next few month's, how do you think they will turn out?.

ufc 138 Leben Vs Munoz

I think Munoz will pick up the win here easy. I think Munoz will out wrestle Leben for the five rounds and pick up the win by decision. Pretty bad this event, bad card, and a main event that isnt strong at all, its more like a fight night card.

Winner: Munoz

Ufc on Fox Cain vs JDS

Great fight this, i can see it going either way. Cain against Kongo showed Kongo knocking Cain down on a few occasions, so if Jds hits him he's going out for sure. Then we Have Cain's Wrestling, is it going to be just another Dominating performance by Cain and take it to the decision. For me ime going with Jds just because i think he's the best Heavy Weight around at the moment, plus Cain has been out for over a year.

Winner: Jds

Ufc 139 Dan Henderson vs Shogun

The is simple Shogun will win.

Winner: Shogun

Ufc 140 Jones vs Machida

Ime going with Jones here, i think jones will put more of a beating on machida than he did to Rampage and even shogun. Machida is good at keep people at distance and i just can't see that happening in this fight. I think Jones is the best Light Heavyweight ever and i can't see anyone beating him.

Winner: Jones

UFC 141. Overeem Vs Lesnar

This is the most exciting fight of the year for me. Overeem is a beast and i can't wait for him to show all these ufc fans that there is other talent outside of the ufc. All i keep hearing is Lesnar will win easy but i really don''t think thats whats going to heppen. I think Overeem will take this fight, i dont think Brock will be able to take his striking and as soon as he cowers, which he will overeem will just unleash on him.

Winner: Overeeem

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
UFC 138: Munoz by 3rd round TKO

UFC on FOX: JDS by decision

UFC 139: Shogun by 1st round TKO

UFC 140: Jones by decision

UFC 141: Overeem by 2nd round KO

Chris Cariaso vs. Vaughan Lee

Chris Cope vs. Che Mills

Rob Broughton vs. Philip De Fries

Michihiro Omigawa vs. Jason Young

John Maguire vs. Justin Edwards

Cyrille Diabaté vs. Anthony Perosh

Terry Etim vs. Eddie Faaloloto

Thiago Alves vs. Papy Abedi

Brad Pickett vs. Renan Barão

Chris Leben vs. Mark Muñoz

Hmm, I don't think most of these are as close cut as you guys make them out to be.

Munoz will wrestlefvck Leben. That's an easy one.

JDS vs Velasquez is already a tough one. JDS' boxing fundamentals are superior to Cain's. But Cain can take a shot. He took some big shots from Kongo and recovered pretty fast. Cain's wrestling and pace is probably what's going to make the difference. He can keep going for 5 rounds and maybe JDS can stuff his takedowns early, but that's gonna be a problem once he starts gassing a bit (like he did against Nelson). So I think JDS will have some early success, but Cain will start taking over and come on strong to win a hard-earned decision.

Shogun should win, but Hendo only has to land that right once and it's lights out. I hope Hendo pulls it off.

I was impressed with Overeem until the Werdum fight. People knock on Werdum for that performance, but he made Overeem's stand-up look ordinary. Overeem got tagged quite a lot and was gassing in the third. He should've really pushed the pace and got Werdum out of there once it was clear that Fabricio couldn't take him down. So, you have to wonder what will happen when Lesnar takes him down. I don't know how good Overeem's sprawl is, but I doubt it's as good as Cain's. And Lesnar is a big man, he can do serious damage on the ground, ask Randy and Mir. The question here is whether Overeem can hurt Lesnar standing before Brock can take him down. This is a pick'em fight.

And GSP is going to tax Diaz' ass.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
pretty much agree. if the fight lasts into the Championship rounds, Cain wins, though i do think JDS will win by TKO in round 2. huge layoff for Cain is a factor.

Lesnar takes him down inside of the 1st minute and hammer fists his way to victory

Diaz is way out of his league. GSP dominates.

We part on Munoz and Leben though. Wrestlers dont much like being on their back, and thats whats gonna happen.

I do think that GSP is going to handle Nick, but I hope it doesn't happen. Nick is a man's man when it comes to fighting. Even though GSP will have him on his back for most of the fight, I expect Nick to frustrate him with a very active guard. Everytime the fight is standing, Nick will go for the kill, though. And it may not look like it, but his 'Stockton slap' is a slow acting poison that can wear any man down after a certain left of time. Smart money is on GSP, but I give Nick a small chance just due to his toughness and striking.

I do think that GSP is going to handle Nick, but I hope it doesn't happen. Nick is a man's man when it comes to fighting. Even though GSP will have him on his back for most of the fight, I expect Nick to frustrate him with a very active guard. Everytime the fight is standing, Nick will go for the kill, though. And it may not look like it, but his 'Stockton slap' is a slow acting poison that can wear any man down after a certain left of time. Smart money is on GSP, but I give Nick a small chance just due to his toughness and striking.
Agree with your entire post. A lot of people counted out Diaz against BJ and he gave Baby J the beating of his life and punched him into retirement. Diaz poses multiple threats both on the ground and on the feet. Without a doubt GSP is the odds on favourite but Diaz certainly is in with a shout.

His boxing is now one of the best in the division, GSP won't be able to just jab his way to a win like he did against Koscheck. More than likely he'll look to ground Diaz for 5 rounds and grind out another boring GSP decision, if this is the case I think Nick will be very active in the guard and constantly look for submissions.

Also there's a few talented fighters waiting in the wings for the winner of GSP-Diaz, Condit, Ellenberger and Rory Macdonald all have the potential to be future Welterweight champions

I have to agree with all this and more. I am going for Diaz, tho its a long shot what he was able to do with BJ penn amazed me. All i heard was Diaz has no chance against Penn, all the ufc fighters where picking Penn, MMA torch collumist's where all going for penn and what happened.... Diaz fuc*** penn up like no one ever has. Gsp won't be able to wrestle **** Diaz like he has done to some many other people, Diaz always pushes the pace weather on his feet or on the ground and this is something GSp doesn't really have to deal with in many other fights.

Nah, Diaz had nothing for Penn when BJ was on top of him. He defended a rear naked choke attempt from BJ and because BJ couldn't get any danger done, he stood back up. GSP isn't like that. He doesn't care whether he can do serious damage on the ground or go for subs. He's just content to lay in your ground, improve his position a little, work a little ground and pound, all in a calculated manner so he doesn't get caught in submissions.

It is true that GSP has never faced a guy with a good stand-up game (still not convinced it's 'world-class'), iron chin, cardio for days and unbreakable will. But Diaz has never faced a guy with the wrestling chops of GSP, with the excellent jab of GSP, with the athleticism of GSP. The breaking point for me is that GSP's strengths directly nullify Diaz' strengths. I can't say that of Diaz' strong points.

I don't get why no one is able to take advantage of Diaz' stand-up. It looks so sloppy with those pitty-patty punches. Penn had plenty of success in tagging Diaz before he gassed in round 2. Can hardly believe Diaz was serious about doing a bout in boxing. He would get whipped by a guy with a negative record, that's how bad his stand-up is from a boxing perspective. But it seems to work very well in MMA. I can't wrap my head around why it's so effective. I think it's because I look at it from a boxing stance.

Also, UFC 138: good night of fights. Conclusive winners, exciting stoppages and no crappy judging.

yeah his stance isn't a typical boxing stance but he does work some good combo's to the body and the head. I agree i dont think he would of done well in boxing but his stand up is on another level in that welterweight devision. Bj took some hard shots to the body and with diaz pushing the pace BJ gassed. I really wouldn't count Diaz out the gsp fight because he has alot better of a chance than anyone else in that devision.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Well i was totally wrong about the munoz/leben tilt.

anyways look for this manoever to be perfected by the time they meet.

(i think i may have posted this b4)

Aye, you have. He used it a couple of times in the Shields fight if memory serves. I remember being surprised Rogan didn't start sucking his nuts in commentary for that.

I would love for GSP to KO Diaz like this:

I don't get why no one is able to take advantage of Diaz' stand-up. It looks so sloppy with those pitty-patty punches. Penn had plenty of success in tagging Diaz before he gassed in round 2. Can hardly believe Diaz was serious about doing a bout in boxing. He would get whipped by a guy with a negative record, that's how bad his stand-up is from a boxing perspective. But it seems to work very well in MMA. I can't wrap my head around why it's so effective. I think it's because I look at it from a boxing stance.
I kinda see where you are coming from in regards to his stand up, but in pro boxing fight I suspect he would adapt his stance a bit more. Not saying he'd do great in boxing, but the adjustments to the stand up game he makes in MMA may not reflect what he'd be able to do in boxing.

Nick's always been a slow starter too and needs to do a Forrest (take punishment and then work from there) in order to progress in a fight. BJ did work him in that first round, but as soon as Nick got comfortable and stopped respecting BJ's striking, it was downhill for Penn. Like Ludz said, those vicious body shots contributed heavily to Penn's gassing, Penn was too hurt to even circle away when Diaz backed him up against the cage.

GSP will reign on Diaz parade, but I expect Diaz to at least hurt him.