What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    





"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."



Holiday in Cambodia - The Dead Kennedys
__________________




I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by adidasss
and being aware of U2's averageness...
You keep saying they are average as if it were a given, but you don't seem to support that claim. Are they average just because you say they are and you don't like them, or is there a concrete reason? If you feel so strongly about it, you must be able to put it into words right? I don't think being corporately marketed and being very sucessful because of it makes them average either if that's your attempt to justify your opinon. Simply look at The Beatles and you'll notice their situation is very similar in terms of corporate marketing vs. sucess and their situation ocurred on a much larger scale. Dare you call The Beatles average?



Originally Posted by Strummer521
You keep saying they are average as if it were a given, but you don't seem to support that claim. Are they average just because you say they are and you don't like them, or is there a concrete reason? If you feel so strongly about it, you must be able to put it into words right? I don't think being corporately marketed and being very sucessful because of it makes them average either if that's your attempt to justify your opinon. Simply look at The Beatles and you'll notice their situation is very similar in terms of corporate marketing vs. sucess and their situation ocurred on a much larger scale. Dare you call The Beatles average?
well, music taste, just like with movies, is very much subjective, so no, i can't say that their averagness is an objective fact, some people obviously like them, but i think i have a right to call them average because my music taste is very wide and it includes mainstream as well as obscure indie music, i can tell when britney spears makes a very good pop song and when she makes an average and dull song. in that respect, even with a band as loathed as u2, i think i can make a solid judgment on whether the music is any good or not, and everything i've heard from the last album is average, dull, masked with good production value and massive sounds....i think it's fair to say that this is their worst album, even the one before had a catchy tune or two, or at least a recognisable riff.....i think their inspiration has run dry, or maybe they just ran out of talent. even rock mastodonts like the rolling stones made a better album last year and deserved the grammy more that america's favourite rock band.....

in my personal opinion, coldplay has taken u2's position as the greatest rock band in the world, every album they make is better than the one before, and their sound is getting more and more massive, they can easily fill up any arena. yet they didn't get the award.....

purely on the quality and inovation level, the mars volta and queens of the stone age published the best rock albums of the past year, i don't think they even got mentioned, why? i don't think they suite middle aged white conservative americans...now compare those two bands to u2 and you will understand why i think u2's album and music is below average and dull......and what about the kings of leon,bloc party, franz ferdinand,wolf parade, the arcade fire, the white stripes, system of a down.....em yeah, to even compare u2 to them...is laughable......i rest my case....



The People's Republic of Clogher
Temple Of Love - Sisters Of Mercy



Why hasn't Eldritch won a Grammy? I like him!

Is it because the committee is full of non-Goths? Outrage!
__________________
"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how the Tatty 100 is done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves." - Brendan Behan



I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by adidasss
well, music taste, just like with movies, is very much subjective, so no, i can't say that their averagness is an objective fact, some people obviously like them, but i think i have a right to call them average because my music taste is very wide and it includes mainstream as well as obscure indie music, i can tell when britney spears makes a very good pop song and when she makes an average and dull song. in that respect, even with a band as loathed as u2, i think i can make a solid judgment on whether the music is any good or not, and everything i've heard from the last album is average, dull, masked with good production value and massive sounds....i think it's fair to say that this is their worst album, even the one before had a catchy tune or two, or at least a recognisable riff.....i think their inspiration has run dry, or maybe they just ran out of talent. even rock mastodonts like the rolling stones made a better album last year and deserved the grammy more that america's favourite rock band.....

in my personal opinion, coldplay has taken u2's position as the greatest rock band in the world, every album they make is better than the one before, and their sound is getting more and more massive, they can easily fill up any arena. yet they didn't get the award.....

purely on the quality and inovation level, the mars volta and queens of the stone age published the best rock albums of the past year, i don't think they even got mentioned, why? i don't think they suite middle aged white conservative americans...now compare those two bands to u2 and you will understand why i think u2's album and music is below average and dull......and what about the kings of leon,bloc party, franz ferdinand,wolf parade, the arcade fire, the white stripes, system of a down.....em yeah, to even compare u2 to them...is laughable......i rest my case....
Huh. I find Coldplay just as bland as you find U2 (kind of a populist version of Radiohead). Well, different strokes. By the way as far as "massive sounds", U2 has always used them. Their not masking anything there, it's just an integral part of their sound. Edge is a minimalist that fills up space with very few notes. He takes what he plays and makes it huge so those few notes really count. I'm not a big U2 fan myself and never have been but since they're not here to defend themselves, I guess someone should do it. By the way...does Kanye West saying that the president doesn't care about black people suit wealthy, conservative, white, middle-aged republicans? I really don't think it does. And yet...he was honored at the Grammys as well. Curious.

By The way...Are you sure you have wide-ranging musical taste as you claim? You like a bunch of trendy indie bands and a bunch of alt-rock radio staples doesn't exactly seem all over the map to me. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will )

By the way, I know I sound like a jerk here, but I don't want this to become a childish argument, so keep in mind, I'm not attacking you personally. I'm just attempting to refute your statements because they seem a bit unfounded to me. A good bit of discussion (which is why you come here, right?)



Anyway: "Victoria" - The Kinks



Originally Posted by Strummer521
Huh. I find Coldplay just as bland as you find U2 (kind of a populist version of Radiohead). Well, different strokes. By the way as far as "massive sounds", U2 has always used them. Their not masking anything there, it's just an integral part of their sound. Edge is a minimalist that fills up space with very few notes. He takes what he plays and makes it huge so those few notes really count. I'm not a big U2 fan myself and never have been but since they're not here to defend themselves, I guess someone should do it. By the way...does Kanye West saying that the president doesn't care about black people suit wealthy, conservative, white, middle-aged republicans? I really don't think it does. And yet...he was honored at the Grammys as well. Curious.

By The way...Are you sure you have wide-ranging musical taste as you claim? You like a bunch of trendy indie bands and a bunch of alt-rock radio staples doesn't exactly seem all over the map to me. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will )

By the way, I know I sound like a jerk here, but I don't want this to become a childish argument, so keep in mind, I'm not attacking you personally. I'm just attempting to refute your statements because they seem a bit unfounded to me. A good bit of discussion (which is why you come here, right?)



Anyway: "Victoria" - The Kinks
no it's cool man, i seriously think that people bought the latest U2 album because it got massive airplay and was pushed by a giant corporation.....

and i think i made an exellent argument comparing U2 to the likes of QOTSA and The mars volta.....that really summed up my case about their blandness ( and i knew you were going to say coldplay were just as bland, which is why i made those two examples that you kinda conveniently circumvented ....)

and i really do have a wide taste in music, i even own madonna's 2 albums and green day....now if they're not corporate whores i don't know who is..... what else should i listen to to prove that i have a wide taste in music? like i said, i can even apreciate certain songs from Britney....

and didn't kayne get an award for the best rap album? isn't he supposed be a fairly conservative rapper who doesn't use swear words? as apposed to gangsta rap? which in turn would make him more acceptable to middle aged white americans?

can you tell me how many artsist were awarded that aren't on big labels and that don't get played on MTV?of course they're going to award things that get continuous air play on various music networks and radio stations.....and who decides what will be played? corporations corporations corporations.....blah blah blah.....

the point of my rant wasn't actually how U2's music is objectively bland, but rather that they didn't make a good album last year and certainly didn't deserve to win the award for best album, best rock album, and best rock song, and best lets-invent-a-category-that-u2-can-win-in-and-place-all-the-really-good-rock-bands-in-the-other-sections....do you disagree with that? if you really think U2 deserved all those awards i think we'll be done with this conversation....



Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush - don't give up
__________________




I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by adidasss

the point of my rant wasn't actually how U2's music is objectively bland, but rather that they didn't make a good album last year
They didn't make an album last year at all. How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb came out in 2004.

The wrong bands winning awards is nothing new. I sat through the same blandness with the Brit awards on tv last night...Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, Kanye West, yawn...



Originally Posted by Thursday Next
They didn't make an album last year at all. How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb came out in 2004.

The wrong bands winning awards is nothing new. I sat through the same blandness with the Brit awards on tv last night...Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, Kanye West, yawn...
yeah i know, i don't really care who wins the grammys, it certainly won't influence what i listen to.....to tell you the truth i'm not really sure what the point of these awards is...i think they matter much less than the oscars for example....



The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
That reminded me of a song which I hadn't listened to in yonks:

Gary Gilmore's Eyes - The Adverts



Kinda the same sentiments...



Just found this yesterday. Aphex Twin songs classically arranged and performed by an orchestra!



These guys were at Carnegie Hall yesterday, I'll definitely try and see them live if I get a chance.



i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Tacitus
That reminded me of a song which I hadn't listened to in yonks:

Gary Gilmore's Eyes - The Adverts



Kinda the same sentiments...
ill download it tonight when i get home & letcha know



I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by adidasss
no it's cool man, i seriously think that people bought the latest U2 album because it got massive airplay and was pushed by a giant corporation.....

and i think i made an exellent argument comparing U2 to the likes of QOTSA and The mars volta.....that really summed up my case about their blandness ( and i knew you were going to say coldplay were just as bland, which is why i made those two examples that you kinda conveniently circumvented ....)

and i really do have a wide taste in music, i even own madonna's 2 albums and green day....now if they're not corporate whores i don't know who is..... what else should i listen to to prove that i have a wide taste in music? like i said, i can even apreciate certain songs from Britney....

and didn't kayne get an award for the best rap album? isn't he supposed be a fairly conservative rapper who doesn't use swear words? as apposed to gangsta rap? which in turn would make him more acceptable to middle aged white americans?

can you tell me how many artsist were awarded that aren't on big labels and that don't get played on MTV?of course they're going to award things that get continuous air play on various music networks and radio stations.....and who decides what will be played? corporations corporations corporations.....blah blah blah.....

the point of my rant wasn't actually how U2's music is objectively bland, but rather that they didn't make a good album last year and certainly didn't deserve to win the award for best album, best rock album, and best rock song, and best lets-invent-a-category-that-u2-can-win-in-and-place-all-the-really-good-rock-bands-in-the-other-sections....do you disagree with that? if you really think U2 deserved all those awards i think we'll be done with this conversation....
Kanye isn't "gangsta", but he does use a fair amount of swears. I can't comment about Queens of the Stone Age because I honestly don't know their music. But for the Mars Volta I'll say, from what I've heard of them, they are a solid band. They do a great Rush imitation. Do you listen to any music from before the 1990s? Because a lot of the bands you praise for being different and original are really quite derivative. It's good to keep with new music, which you seem to do well, but you need a sense of history also.



yes , i've made it my buisness to explore as much of older music as i can, i've been a fan of the doors since my early teens, janis joplin and jimi hendrix are a must of course, led zeppelin, some joy division stuff, gang of four, nina simone, the pixies, the clash, bob marley, MC5, Neil Young, the rolling stones and so on and so on.....but to be fair, i simply preffer new music, even if it is a complete rip off of cetain older bands, i just appreciate the new millenium twist and the higher production value...