Starship Nostromo Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

Sixteen Candles (1984)

Yeah, you. Samantha Ryan's stuck on a guy she's crazy about. A senior, he's beautiful and perfect. He doesn't even know you exist. Do you know Samantha Baker? Catch her looking at me a lot. Kinda cool the way she's always looking at me. Why don't you take Carolyn home, she's so blitzed she won't know the difference. Molly Ringwald and Michael Schloeffling. Written and directed by John Hughes.

Who Could It Be?

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sixteen.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	58902  

Entertainment By John Hughes I Want To Rank

1. Pretty In Pink (1986) -------------------
+ 8.5 / 10

2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) -
+ 8.5 / 10

3. The Breakfast Club (1985) ----------
8.0 / 10

4. Christmas Vacation (1989) ---------
+ 7.5 / 10

5. Sixteen Candles (1984) ---------------
7.0 / 10

6. Weird Science (1985) ----------------
7.0 / 10

Some he wrote while other filmmakers directed. "Sixteen Candles" was amusing though I didn't find it to be the best. It's been a while since I've seen some of these. Maybe I'll watch them. Wouldn't mind seeing "Career Opportunities" (1991) starring Jennifer Connelly as Josie McClellan, I haven't watched that yet.

Attachments

Name:	ssecv.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	58761   Click image for larger version

Name:	jullewis.png
Views:	121
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	58762   Click image for larger version

Name:	fbdo.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	58763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steff.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	58764   Click image for larger version

Name:	cvtion89.jpg
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	58765  

Actually pumped for “Christmas Vacation”’s dvd arrival in my mailbox. What are some festive holiday flicks members enjoy in December?

I don't go out of my way to watch Christmas films. I guess I might if they didn't sort of "find me" just by coming on randomly on the TV over and over. I did make a special point to watch It's a Wonderful Life when a local theater (since shut down) played it on Christmas Eve, I think it was. They made admission free but asked people to bring canned goods to donate. Was lovely, snowing and everything.

So yeah, I don't have any I always watch, or even usually, I just watch what comes on sometimes. I do like having Christmas music on in the background. And as silly as it is that Netflix streaming log thing with the music playing over it is actually pretty nice.

I guess I get enough natural Christmasy stuff with no effort that I don't go out of my way for more.

In previous years I've usually watched some version of A Christmas Carol.

I just assume I end up watching it once through through all the fragments I catch over the course of the month.

I might watch it more but I saw it so many times growing up.

Understood, for TV watchers. Since I stopped paying for cable, instead I stick to dvd's, guess that's antiquated. The only streaming service I use is amazon, & not much anymore. Considered buying a VHS player and a few tapes to see what that looks like now. I still kind of want to do that. I mainly wish it was the 80s all the time.

If I ever got a VHS player the main reason would just be so I could trawl flea markets and buy random/weird stuff, but I lack the hours in the day. But that would probably be fun.

I never thought I'd get into streaming, I love/loved physical media. But here I am, and I totally have. They got me.

After some hard nights at work, today I watched...

St. Elmo's Fire (1985)

This. I probably shouldn't say any more than that, haha. The Brat Pack. Rob Lowe's a let-loose screwup who plays the sax and belongs in a hair metal music video, lusted after by the shy and undefiled Mare Winningham. Meanwhile Ally Sheedy's unsure what do with her longtime boyfriend Judd Nelson who's becoming very stern and business-like. Their close friend Andrew McCarthy's a derisive writer who's shut in and refutes love. Emilio Estevez studies law and tirelessly pursues appealing brunette Andie MacDowell who works in a hospital and is four years older than him. Demi Moore... Wow. Looking unbelievably boomtown living life in the fast lane. Ally Sheedy's like my favorite actress ever. There's probably a lot more to be said about this and how it corresponds with passings of eras. Perhaps an opportunity will come to say more about it in the future. Gets a big fat

9.0 / 10

Man In Motion

Attachments

Name:	stelmfire85.gif
Views:	141
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	58847  

Intriguing Actresses Part I

Kristy Swanson

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1992) 9.0 / 10
Pretty In Pink (1986) + 8.5 / 10
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) + 8.5 / 10
Hot Shots! (1991) + 7.5 / 10
Dude, Where's My Car? (2000) 7.0 / 10
Deadly Friend (1986)
Higher Learning (1995)
The Program (1993)

Her particular starring role here that I've also seen is Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1992), which I wrote about in @TheUsualSuspect 's 2019 October Thread. She played more a bit part in the other ones I rated. Would have liked to see her get more starring roles. It's been a very long time since I saw Dude, Where's My Car? (2000), considering that, my enjoyment level of it happened a super long time ago. The three listed without ratings are ones I'd like to find. There's probably some other ones I'd want to see too. These are from when she's younger, yet she's still super bombshell looking. The first image on the above left is from Wes Craven's Deadly Friend (1986), a sci-fi horror film based on the novel Friend by Diana Henstell, and the one on the far right's from Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986).

Attachments

Name:	kristyswanson.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	58890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffy.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	58891  

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Eat your heart out Kristy!

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
What's happening bro @doubledenim ?! I think your picture's of Lorie Griffin.

It absolutely is! She lives on the same block as Kristy Swanson.They are practically neighbors. Throw the girl from Making the Grade in with em'. 80's hair.

Permission to board the Starship or has it been permanently docked?

Empire Records always looked like it'd be a fun hang-out type flick. I miss spending hours browsing the aisles in music stores and listening with big-ass headphones to random samples from various albums. I'm a much bigger fan of For a Few Dollars More than its predecessor, although it's impossible to go wrong with any Eastwood western. Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink have morphed into the same movie in my memory. (If we're ranking John Hughes as a filmmaker, Uncle Buck is tops for me; Home Alone and Christmas Vacation take over the top spots if we're including his scripts.) I've passed over St. Elmo's Fire numerous times, but I saw that it was your favorite first-time viewing of 2019, so I'll make a point to watch it the next opportunity I get.

As for college football, I typically only watch the playoffs and a handful of big games throughout the season between top-ranked teams. I'm a much bigger fan of college basketball. (Go Tar Heels, although they suck this year.) I was rooting for Clemson to take home another trophy since they're close to home and I've got family friends who are alumni of the school. Plus I like that Trevor Lawrence kid and LSU's Joe Burrow has one of those perma-smug faces that makes him seem like a giant douche, very similar to Jay Cutler.

Thread's undergoing severe upkeep at the boatyard after climaxing on December Tenth. Sensing an unexpected pull to the slash vault.