The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

I personally never really thought of No Country For Old Men as a Western but again wouldn't object strenuously to anyone wanting to include it.

i definitely wouldn’t count there will be blood, but no country for old men is tough. for borderline cases, i’d lean towards exclusion, because there will likely still be some who love the movie but feel uncomfortable putting it on their list or just don’t think of including it altogether, so we’d be left with a perennial board favorite like no country for old men in 60th place or something, satisfying nobody.
criticker

I wouldn't have an objection if There Will Be Blood or No Country were included but I don't consider either a Western and wouldn't include them on my top 25.

I have an eligibility question: City Slickers. The story of a bunch of city folk participating in a cattle drive is listed only as a comedy. I consider this a modern Western. It does have some of the staples of classic Westerns: horses, cows, cowboy hats, guns, covered wagons, rope, etc. Thoughts?

There are many existing threads about Western movies for anybody who wants to look at some older discussions and maybe get some titles to seek out.

Top 5 Westerns, Which Westerns List Should We Add?, and Westerns HOF are good places to start. The BFI Screen Guide's 100 Westerns is a list that is already up here at MoFo. It is alphabetical and does not attempt to rank the films.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Actually, I've seen lots and lots of Westerns, and Tombstone is just plain and simple a steaming piece of *****...Western or otherwise. It's an embarrassingly awful hack job, the only minor highlight being Val Kilmer's anachronistic oddball performance from the planet Mars, which is totally incongruous with the hamfisted goings on and feels like it belongs in another movie but is at least amusing.

Tombstone is a Western for folks who don't know or like Westerns. Anyone who really enjoys it (or the two Young Guns flicks or American Outlaws or Texas Rangers or even Raimi's The Quick & the Dead) really shouldn't ever watch a real Western. Ever. When I see Tombstone in the Westerns section of a video store, I feel the same way I do when I see frippin' Kenny G in the Jazz section of a music store: it just plain don't belong.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the subject.

Ouch.

I'm planning on watching Tombstone for this, but I don't expect to like it.
It got nominated in a recent HOF and I didn't love it nearly as much as I once did, but still enjoyed it and will probably vote for it. But he also took a stab at The Quick and the Dead, which I most definitely still love.

It got nominated in a recent HOF and I didn't love it nearly as much as I once did, but still enjoyed it and will probably vote for it. But he also took a stab at The Quick and the Dead, which I most definitely still love.
I wasn't considering watching Quick and Dead but maybe I will since you love it.

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen Tombstone a couple of times and it is a decidedly mediocre piece of work. There's stuff to like about it - a decent ensemble cast gets to do solid performances, but the film as a whole isn't exactly the most special thing and you're arguably better off seeking out My Darling Clementine or some such. Still gotta wonder if Holden stands by his original assessment or if he's mellowed in his old age (ah who am I kidding, it's obviously the former).

Anyway, I will say that I'd count No Country For Old Men as a Western.

There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men, are not westerns. I do hope we can make a countdown that ends up reflecting the best of the western genre and not just popular films that happen to be set in the west.

I wasn't considering watching Quick and Dead but maybe I will since you love it.
Being directed by Sam Raimi, it's definitely not much like the classic westerns, but I think it's a lot of fun. The presence of Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio help, of course, but I've actually loved the movie longer than I've been a fan of either of them.

Still gotta wonder if Holden stands by his original assessment or if he's mellowed in his old age (ah who am I kidding, it's obviously the former).
I have mellowed a bit in the sense that I don't really care anymore if people like garbage. That's their loss. Tombstone is very poorly made, but hey, the kids love it.

These are the Westerns that have appeared on the other MoFo countdowns thus far...

Top 100 of the Millennium
There Will Be Blood* (#5)
No Country for Old Men* (#9)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#19)
True Grit (#61)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#65)

Top 100 of the 1990s
Unforgiven (#12)
Dead Man (#35)

Top 100 of the 1980s
None

Top 100 of the 1970s
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
Blazing Saddles (#33)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
Little Big Man (#61)
Jeremiah Johnson (#92)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)

Top 100 of the 1960s
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (#3)
Once Upon a Time in the West (#5)
The Wild Bunch (#15)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (#21)
For a Few Dollars More (#22)
A Fistful of Dollars (#51)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (#52)
True Grit (#72)
Hud (#79)

Top 100 of the 1950s
The Searchers (#18)
Rio Bravo (#22)
High Noon (#28)
Shane (#64)
The Big Country (#66)
Giant (#77)
Johnny Guitar (#81)
Oklahoma! (#97)

Top 100 of the 1940s
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (#7)
The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
Red River (#56)
My Darling Clementine (#58)

Top 100 of the 1930s
Stagecoach (#23)
Destry Rides Again (#72)

The Pre-1930 Top 50
3 Bad Men (#30)
The Great Train Robbery (#36)

Top 100 Animated Films
Rango (#34)

Top 100 Directed by Women
Meek's Cutoff (#56)

*if deemed eligible

Still gotta wonder if Holden stands by his original assessment or if he's mellowed in his old age (ah who am I kidding, it's obviously the former).
I have mellowed a bit in the sense that I don't really care anymore if people like garbage. That's their loss. Tombstone is very poorly made, but hey, the kids love it.

These are the Westerns that have appeared on the other MoFo countdowns thus far...

Top 100 of the Millennium
There Will Be Blood* (#5)
No Country for Old Men* (#9)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#19)
True Grit (#61)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#65)

Top 100 of the 1990s
Unforgiven (#12)
Dead Man (#35)

Top 100 of the 1980s
None

Top 100 of the 1970s
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
Blazing Saddles (#33)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
Little Big Man (#61)
Jeremiah Johnson (#92)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)

Top 100 of the 1960s
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (#3)
Once Upon a Time in the West (#5)
The Wild Bunch (#15)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (#21)
For a Few Dollars More (#22)
A Fistful of Dollars (#51)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (#52)
True Grit (#72)
Hud (#79)

Top 100 of the 1950s
The Searchers (#18)
Rio Bravo (#22)
High Noon (#28)
Shane (#64)
The Big Country (#66)
Giant (#77)
Johnny Guitar (#81)
Oklahoma! (#97)

Top 100 of the 1940s
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (#7)
The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
Red River (#56)
My Darling Clementine (#58)

Top 100 of the 1930s
Stagecoach (#23)
Destry Rides Again (#72)

The Pre-1930 Top 50
3 Bad Men (#30)
The Great Train Robbery (#36)

Top 100 Animated Films
Rango (#34)

Top 100 Directed by Women
Meek's Cutoff (#56)

*if deemed eligible
Thanks, that’s a great resource!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
There are many existing threads about Western movies for anybody who wants to look at some older discussions and maybe get some titles to seek out.

Top 5 Westerns, Which Westerns List Should We Add?, and Westerns HOF are good places to start. The BFI Screen Guide's 100 Westerns is a list that is already up here at MoFo. It is alphabetical and does not attempt to rank the films.

For anyone who hasn't yet, the Which Westerns Should We Add has quite a few excellent suggestions/write-ups on quite a few VERY worthwhile films to see.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tombstone and The Quick and the Dead was always on TV (TNT), and my dad (awful movie taste) would watch it, and it was horrible even for a kid, who thought 90% of movies were good by the time it was over.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
We had a great discussion on Wyatt Earp/Doc Holliday films during the HoF that had Tombstone.
A film that always seems to bring up a "you either like one or other" was Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp.

And I agree with the BFI list being a bit overly focused on 50's westerns and missing out on a lot of excellent Westerns.