The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
No to Midnight Cowboy for me, although I've only seen it once but didn't think it to be much of a Western.

Regardless, even if it was eligible, there's much better things to vote for

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's just an idea. Mainly I'd like to see 3 Western HoFs each under 2 months long so that the third HoF is completed before the voting deadline is up on the Countdown.
3 is a lot. That's packing it in.

Never really considered Midnight Cowboy a Western myself.

Top Five Favorites:
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Dances With Wolves
The Quick and the Dead
Django Unchained
Open Range

Dislike:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
My Darling Clementine
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
True Grit (2010)
Little Big Man
Blazing Saddles
Based on those lists, if you haven't seen them already I'd say take a look at The Sisters Brothers (2018), Unforgiven (1992), Silverado (1985), The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), The Hateful Eight (2015), Bite the Bullet (1975), The Big Country (1958), and Hombre (1967).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Midnight Cowboy is not a western in my opinion either. I don't even know which I find more shocking; it tagged as a western or it being given X-rating originally.

@Holden Pike

Re: Your Post Comment

Yep. I've seen it a couple of times. Will probably vote for it.

Re: Midnight Cowboy: I've only seen it once and it was awhile ago. I thought it was a good movie, but I wouldn't call it a Western.

Based on those lists, if you haven't seen them already I'd say take a look at The Sisters Brothers (2018), Unforgiven (1992), Silverado (1985), The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), The Hateful Eight (2015), Bite the Bullet (1975), The Big Country (1958), and Hombre (1967).
I've seen The Sisters Brothers (like it), Unforgiven (didn't care for it), Silverado (love it), and The Hateful Eight (like it).

I'll check out the others. I'm a bit leery of anything with Eastwood considering how much I hated The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but maybe Josey Wales will change my mind.

I'd vote against Midnight Cowboy, too. The presence of a cowboy hat (and the word cowboy) not withstanding. Though it is fun to think about what would have to change about the film in order for me to think of it as a western (maybe not that much!).

I've seen The Sisters Brothers (like it), Unforgiven (didn't care for it), Silverado (love it), and The Hateful Eight (like it).

I'll check out the others. I'm a bit leery of anything with Eastwood considering how much I hated The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but maybe Josey Wales will change my mind.
I can only guess at what you didn't like about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but I would say whatever it is Sergio Leone is more responsible for it than Mr. Eastwood. If you hate GB&U I wouldn't really bother trying to get you to watch any other Spaghetti Westerns, even with your liking Tarantino's Django Unchained. But I'd say give Josey Wales a chance. It has some of the team of misfits banding together flavor of Silverado and some good humor.

Just looking at the three primary genres thing a bit more....

Paint Your Wagon
Comedy, Drama, Musical

Surely we can't be disqualifying that one from a Westerns list?

Blazing Saddles, HUD, and The Beguiled? I don't see any of them as westerns but I wouldn't debate against them.

Midnight Cowboy isn't close.

I'd say Blazing Saddles is a Western. Sorry in advance if we're being too freeform here. I'm cool with Holden basically just picking one for us to discuss at a time, to keep things focused/clear.

Just looking at the three primary genres thing a bit more....

Paint Your Wagon
Comedy, Drama, Musical

Surely we can't be disqualifying that one from a Westerns list?
Surely not, that is a western.

EDIT: Blazing Saddles a western too.

i currently have exactly 25 westerns i really like and would be happy to vote for but am excited to watch more.

also, i've never thought of midnight cowboy as a western, i don't think it should count.
criticker

I can only guess at what you didn't like about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but I would say whatever it is Sergio Leone is more responsible for it than Mr. Eastwood. If you hate GB&U I wouldn't really bother trying to get you to watch any other Spaghetti Westerns, even with your liking Tarantino's Django Unchained. But I'd say give Josey Wales a chance. It has some of the team of misfits banding together flavor of Silverado and some good humor.

I don't know how much of it is Leone though because I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in the West. That said, I don't think I've seen anything else from him.

Blazing Saddles is absolutely a Western for me.

It's good to have a procedure in place beforehand, so we don't get a big mess like Gremlins & Jaws caused in the Horror countdown. Wikipedia could be a secondary check point, so say if IMDB and Wikipedia both said a film was a western, then that would be a strong indication it's indeed a western. And if neither called a movie a western, then that also would strongly indicate a film isn't a western. Of course no system is perfect, but that double check at Wikipedia might prevent some headaches, or at least be a starting point to resolve future conflicts.

I'd say Blazing Saddles is a Western. Sorry in advance if we're being too freeform here. I'm cool with Holden basically just picking one for us to discuss at a time, to keep things focused/clear.
In general I would say Western comedies and spoofs are fair game for anybody who wants to include them. From Buster Keaton in Go West up through Seth McFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West, if the funny ones are what you think are the best of the best, I wouldn't reject them out of hand. If anybody has single titles they'd like to bring up for discussion, I'm all for that. But as a concept, comedies count.

Some Western comedies and spoofs include...
Destry Rides Again (1939), My Little Chickadee (1940), The Paleface (1948), Son of Paleface (1952), Pardners (1956), Cat Ballou (1965), Carry On Cowboy (1965), The Shakiest Gun in the West (1968), Support Your Local Sheriff (1969), The Cheyenne Social Club (1970), They Call Me Trinity (1970), Trinity is Still Me Name (1971), Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971), My Name is Nobody (1973), Blazing Saddles (1974), The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975), Goin' South (1978), Hot Lead and Cold Feet (1978), The Frisco Kid (1979), The Villain (1979), Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985), Lust in the Dust (1985), ¡Three Amigos! (1986), City Slickers (1991), Lightning Jack (1994), Wagons East (1994), "The Cherokee Kid" (1996), Shanghai Noon (2000), Rango (2011), and A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014).