The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hype! I'm gonna try to make a special point to catch up on a lot of Westerns, because I really like the genre.

Loving the art style for this countdown already, too.
Did you ever see the one we talked about? I know I announced when it was coming on TV. If not, just a reminder

The three under the title are just the first three from the Genres tag which is in alphabetical order though. That's always been my assumption anyway - as far as I know they're not indicative of the primary genres of the film? Happy to be proved wrong if you have a quick example that differs from what I've said even if that does rule out films like Rio Lobo or Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.
I'd say you're right. And those tags are not really to identify the genre to the reader, but to identify the page to a search engine. Which is a different thing.

With a desktop computer if one scrolls down the page the genre tags are listed like this:

Question for mobile users: Can you see those 4 tags on your mobile?

He wouldn't be choosing - I listed all of them in order.
Well if you had some that didn't qualify and more than enough to use as replacements, then a choice would have to be made as to which replacement got used.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Well if you had some that didn't qualify and more than enough to use as replacements, then a choice would have to be made as to which replacement got used.

It wouldn't - I ranked them all. So if one is eliminated, the one after replaces it, and the others go up a notch, as opposed to going back and forth via PM, especially considering Holden probably is going to be very busy.

It wouldn't - I ranked them all. So if one is eliminated, the one after replaces it, and the others go up a notch, as opposed to going back and forth via PM, especially considering Holden probably is going to be very busy.
That's fine and of course up to the host...I think Holden had in mind that when an iffy movie came up then the community would discuss the merits of the movie (or the lack of merits), then after some discussion he would decide. I prefer that method myself, it's more fun and more importantly it involves the MoFo community.

Even though western isn't my favorite genre there's surely enough films I like to submit a full ballot for this one. I won't be going overboard with watching these but with this much time I'll probably see few dozen.

With a full 6 month watch period, I'd like to see us do a bunch of Western HoFs. Maybe even done by eras like Siddon did with the Comedy HoFs. That would be fun AND help support this Countdown!
I'd probably prefer generic ones over eras. Admittedly I haven't done any era based genre HoFs but I'm little worried that nominations end up being so very similar this way.

The three under the title are just the first three from the Genres tag which is in alphabetical order though. That's always been my assumption anyway - as far as I know they're not indicative of the primary genres of the film? Happy to be proved wrong if you have a quick example that differs from what I've said even if that does rule out films like Rio Lobo or Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.
I'd say you're right. And those tags are not really to identify the genre to the reader, but to identify the page to a search engine. Which is a different thing.

With a desktop computer if one scrolls down the page the genre tags are listed like this:

Question for mobile users: Can you see those 4 tags on your mobile?
Yes, they are listed right at the top on mobile.

Well I just tallied it up and I’ve seen 10 Westerns total... I only really want to vote for 5 of them so yes we need to get those Hall of Fames going!

...I'd probably prefer generic ones over eras. Admittedly I haven't done any era based genre HoFs but I'm little worried that nominations end up being so very similar this way.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of the era HOFs but either personally which is why I haven't joined one, but keep going people!
It's just an idea. Mainly I'd like to see 3 Western HoFs each under 2 months long so that the third HoF is completed before the voting deadline is up on the Countdown.

Will partial ballots be accepted or must it be the full 25? (Forgive me if that’s already been addressed and I just missed it.)
I am OK with accepting ballots of ten or more. But you can't turn those in super early. There are six months until the deadline. Don't admit defeat already, try and watch more Westerns. Between the number of streaming platforms, what plays on television, and your local library or video store (for those of you lucky enough to still have video stores) there should be many out there to choose from and devote a little time to.

But yes, ballots of ten+ will be accepted. Still shoot for 25.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OK, let's see how this goes....

Eligibility Debate
Midnight Cowboy

Here is our first title up for debate. John Schlesinger's Midnight Cowboy (1969) is famously the only X-rated movie to win Oscar's Best Picture. For those who may only be passingly familiar, it follows the (then) present day Joe Buck (John Voight) who leaves his troubles in a dusty Texas town to try his luck at becoming a male prostitute in Manhattan targeting rich women who want to ride a cowboy. It's not as easy as he imagines and he winds up befriending an ostracized hustler named "Ratzo" Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) who attempts to guide the niave cowpoke through the harsh urban landscape.

The IMDb lists it as a Drama, Western

I don't think there is much debate about the drama part, but for me Western is misplaced. Joe Buck is certainly drawn from some of the Western archetype, or at least that is what is being mocked and played against, and he definitely dresses like Roy Rogers, but other than that level and having Cowboy in the title, in genre terms I don't see that it fits. Structurally and thematically I don't see it as a Western.

But what do you all think? Is it enough of a Western to be included, or so tangentially a Western it should be excluded?

I am OK with accepting ballots of ten or more. But you can't turn those in super early. There are six months until the deadline. Don't admit defeat already, try and watch more Westerns.
I will.

It's just that Westerns are very hit or miss for me and in about 30 years of movie watching I've only come across a dozen or so that I've enjoyed. I hope to be proven wrong but I don't think 6 months is going to make a huge difference in that number.

I will.

It's just that Westerns are very hit or miss for me and in about 30 years of movie watching I've only come across a dozen or so that I've enjoyed. I hope to be proven wrong but I don't think 6 months is going to make a huge difference in that number.
If you name what your top five or so are I bet some MoFos could point you in the direction of similar titles you have not seen but may groove to. List a handful you dislike, too, so we know what we're aiming for.

I will.

Have you seen all the westerns made by your favorite actors? I think that would be something to try.

If you name what your top five or so are I bet some MoFos could point you in the direction of similar titles you have not seen but may groove to. List a handful you dislike, too, so we know what we're aiming for.
Top Five Favorites:
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Dances With Wolves
The Quick and the Dead
Django Unchained
Open Range

Dislike:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
My Darling Clementine
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
True Grit (2010)
Little Big Man
Blazing Saddles

Have you seen all the westerns made by your favorite actors? I think that would be something to try.
I think so.

I do need to rewatch the Victor Mature ones though because I can't remember which ones I liked and which I didn't, aside from Clementine.