The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen them all except that crazy Helen of Four Gates which allegedly exists on BFIPlayer on the link above but since I'm a heathen American I can't watch it. They are a nice collection with no duds - almost all available on YouTube and occasionally on TCM.

Helen of Four Gates on the tube of you for any of our American friends that might be interested

Helen of Four Gates on the tube of you for any of our American friends that might be interested
Nice comment on the video too

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I bet you guys can guess which one of those one pointers is mine. I would've nominated it for one of the Pre 30s HoFs but couldn't find a copy on the internet anywhere (I own the DVD).
mine is pretty easy to guess as well.
I'll post about it later today

I kinda like the first and only comment on that one
Oh haha you beat me to it.

Oh haha you beat me to it.
Gotta be mighty quick around these here parts sometimes

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Iron Mask starring Douglas Fairbanks is an excellent action/adventure silent film that explores it's predecessor, Dumas' The Three Musketeers stories, and delves into the follow up, Twenty Years Later, or as we know it, The Man in the Iron Mask.
I came across this near the end of the deadline and purposely put it at the one pointer knowing I'd be able to introduce it to you all this way. Since I was sure it was and is, quite unknown. Otherwise, it would have had a MUCH higher spot on my list.

Douglas Fairbanks was the King of Action films, an accomplished acrobat who did his own stunts. He was the master swashbuckler and gave his roles flair and panache. I was hoping to demonstrate this by finding either a clip or a gif showing him pulling his sword from his scabbard. He actually slides it out part way, flips the scabbard upwards, the sword flies out and upward and he catches it in mid air with a flourish. Stylish as all get out. The man could easily give many of our present day action heroes a run for their money.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Off to a good start.
The Skeleton Dance was one of the films I showed Sarah shortly before the list was due. I like it a lot.

Blackmail is very famous but I vastly prefer Sound Test for Blackmail.

0/2 from my list.

Great start!

The Skeleton Dance was my #10. Of course some Disney had to be on the list. Their inventive shorts during the early 1900s, which also showed their own personal style, humor and contributon to family entertainment was unique and extremely impressive back then. And it still is now.

I have not seen Blackmail, however, Hitch is one of my favorite directors and I have seen a fair amount of his films. Having this land on the list only makes me really want to seek it out now. Maybe I’ll watch it soon.

Looking forward to more, Chyp. Good work so far!

I just watched The Skeleton Dance, very good short film. I imagine Walt Disney has a lot of them as he's certainly one of the greatest and most important figures in early cinema.

I'm guessing that no Lumiere films are going to make the list, but I definitely think that people should check out their early stuff too.

Here's Dance Serpentine which is just the shooting of a dance sequence, then the colours are hand painted on. The YouTube video gives a short explanation of this.

I haven't seen Blackmail, it was on my list of films to get to before I sent my list in but I didn't get round to it. I managed to get to another Hitchcock film which I think will make the list higher up.

It looks like a great film though, I'm almost certain I'll enjoy it. I love the early Hitch stuff I've seen so far and heard good stuff about this - backed up by its place on this list. Maybe I'll watch it today actually.

A Corner in Wheat was my number 25.

I'm a huge fan of D.W. Griffith from what I have seen so far, and this film is a perfect starting point for anyone looking to explore his work.

It's only 14 minutes long but it's a magnificent, epic film that is film majestically and carries a strong social message in it too. Griffith knew how to create powerful images that evoked human emotions - something he expands upon to magnificent heights with Intolerance and is the master of editing together multiple plotlines through juxtaposition to build suspense and tell stories.

The final scene, wow!

Am I losing my mind or is The Skeleton Dance link in Ed's post before the reveal? Anyway, I just watched that and it was cool, but not much of a movie in my mind. I know I've seen Blackmail since my wife and I watched all of Hitchcock's films several years ago. I don't remember it and I had no desire to revisit it seeing that I'm no longer a huge fan of that director.

Am I losing my mind or is The Skeleton Dance link in Ed's post before the reveal? Anyway, I just watched that and it was cool, but not much of a movie in my mind. I know I've seen Blackmail since my wife and I watched all of Hitchcock's films several years ago. I don't remember it and I had no desire to revisit it seeing that I'm no longer a huge fan of that director.
Ok now I see that it's The Iron Mask. It must have shown that way since I had just watched it.

Am I losing my mind or is The Skeleton Dance link in Ed's post before the reveal?
Ed will psychically be revealing all movies from hereon in.
Over to you ed

Good start, I’d been meaning to watch Skeleton Dance and never got around to it.