MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

→ in
Tools    

Man I've fallen behind on this.

Titanic is good, or at least my memories of it are. It's been quite some time since I last watched it though. I vaguely recall not liking Mystic River. I know I've seen a couple of the Naked Gun movies and liked them when I was a kid, but I doubt I'd like them now. Back to the Future is good, but I definitely liked it more as a child than I do now. Didn't care for True Grit. I haven't seen Anchorman, but given my opinion of Will Ferrell I'm sure I'd hate it.

Saving Private Ryan - 1998

"You can tell her that when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. And that there was no way I was deserting them. I think she'd understand that."
Welp thought I would give you all my first Spielberg film (well I guess he produced Back To The Future) as well as my first Hanks film and round out to 80 on this Sunday night to close the week. Unfortunately I have another confession about this movie much like Gladiator, don't think I've ever watched it all in one sitting. It's much like Gladiator, even more so, I had a hard time with watching violence depicted on screen like that when I was 11. Wasn't until college until I got over that bug. However, I have seen it all on multiple occasions especially the end. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put 2 + 2 together to figure out this movie is a classic. Well maybe you do because the Academy seems like they can't put 2 + 2 together. Still one of the most egregious losses of all time. I think I've seen Shakespeare In Love a long time ago. I am sure it's a fine movie but come on, SPR is an all timer. (This is why I think the Academy should do a special award show every 5 or 10 years and award the best of that time span. No stupid campaigning allowed. Time can clarify which movies and performances are actually the best. "No timelines when you are timeless" - Lil Dicky)

Tom Hanks was and still is spectacular per usual. He owned the 90s didn't he? Spielberg was ground breaking per usual. Everyone in the cast was amazing. Just one of those special films. If you don't cry at the end of this movie you may not have a soul. I heard this is how God verifies if you have a soul to get into heaven, so you better cry . It would probably be higher if it didn't take me so long to get over my stupid phobia. It didn't really take hold of how amazing this film was until my 20s so it's playing catch up like Gladiator.

Director - Steven Spielberg
Best Performance - Tom Hanks as Captain John Miller
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 93%
Factoid - Steven Spielberg cast Matt Damon as Private Ryan because he wanted an unknown actor with an All-American look. He did not know Damon would win an Oscar for Good Will Hunting (1997) and become an overnight star before the film was released.
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

Memorable Scene

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

List Review

101. Super Troopers
100. Arrival
99. Social Network
98. Bowfinger
97. Blade Runner
96. Napoleon Dynamite
95. Full Metal Jacket
94. Looper
93. Animal House
92. Gladiator
91. Moneyball
90. Austin Powers
89. Spotlight
88. Inside Out
87. The Jerk
86. Titanic
85. Mystic River
84. Naked Gun Trilogy
83. Back To The Future
82. True Grit
81. Anchorman
80. Saving Private Ryan

Countdown Stats

Most Frequent Actors - Matt Damon (2), Steve Martin (2), Will Ferrell (2)
Most Frequent Director- Ridley Scott (2)
Films By Decade
1970s - Two
1980s - Four
1990s - Four
2000s - Five
2010s - Seven

Honorable Mentions (Just Missed Countdown)

Inside Man - 2006

"My name is Dalton Russell. Pay strict attention to what I say because I choose my words carefully and I never repeat myself. I've told you my name: that's the Who. The Where could most readily be described as a prison cell. But there's a vast difference between being stuck in a tiny cell and being in prison. The What is easy: recently I planned and set in motion events to execute the perfect bank robbery. That's also the When. As for the Why: beyond the obvious financial motivation, it's exceedingly simple... because I can. Which leaves us only with the How; and therein, as the Bard would tell us, lies the rub."
Slick. That is the word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this movie when I first saw it. There is just something about a slick, smartly written and directed bank robbery movie that is captivating to me. This has it in spades. Denzel is his typical charismatic presence on screen as the negotiator and Ejiofor plays a good compliment to Denzel. (This was before Ejiofor really broke out) Christopher Plummer and Jodie Foster aren't in this a ton but they are good while they are. Clive Owen is really damn good as the mastermind to the bank robbery.

The biggest surprise however is that Spike Lee directed this movie. He decided to make a movie not all charged up with race and guess what? It's really good. Surprise, Surprise. If I told you to guess the director of this movie without giving you any clues it would probably take you awhile, if at all, to get Spike Lee. Listen I think black film makers should obviously make stories from a black perspective but I think they pigeonhole themselves too much. Spielberg, Nolan, Fincher etc are not boxing themselves into any narrative corner like a lot of black directors do. I think making a movie like this that is accessible and not reliant on race also does a lot more good for the lead black actors as well. I don't know that's just a tangent I could write a lot more about that but I digress. This movie is is worth a gander if you haven't seen it.

Director - Spike Lee
Best Performance - Denzel Washington as Detective Keith Frazier
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 86%
Factoid - The scene in the coffee shop was improvised. On the DVD commentary, Spike Lee states that when Denzel Washington ad-libbed the line "I'll bet you can get a cab though," he nearly ruined the take by laughing so loud at Washington's line.

Memorable Scene

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 2011

"I want you to help me catch a killer of women."
It really sucks they didn't do a sequel to this movie. I guess there is the Swedish version with the sequels and the new one that came out last year. However, I really enjoyed this Fincher version. He makes the Swedish winter a character of it's own. I think it's visually beautiful. (My ancestry is Swedish :wink I thought Rooney Mara was amazing in the role. I seriously think she is one of the best actresses working now, she just doesn't get the projects she deserves to me. She elevates any scene she is in to me. I thought her and Daniel Craig had good chemistry together. This is a brutal watch, especially the beginning. But the dynamic of Mara and Craig's characters along with the mystery they are trying to solve keep this movie incredibly compelling. That's why it's such a bummer to me they didn't get to do any sequels to this. Would love to see where this version of the characters lead to. Oh well such is Hollywood.

Spoiler but this is my highest Fincher movie. Only 2 on the countdown. I actually like all of his work for the most part. I just never got into the Fight Club kick. Seven is cool but never one of my favorites. Gone Girl almost made the list but never high on it. He is definitely a director I lookout for his projects but never quite make it to all time favorites. Haven't seen it in awhile which is why it's fallen a bit but I always enjoy it.

Director - David Fincher
Best Performance - Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 86%
Factoid - In order to convince the studio that Rooney Mara had what it took to portray the strung out Lisbeth Salander, David Fincher asked her to go out and get really drunk. He then had her come in the next morning after a night of vomiting, and took pictures of her in her hungover state. This also convinced the studio to cast her.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Memorable Scene

Interstellar - 2014

"Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here."
Well my first Nolan movie. Another spoiler alert: you will see a lot more of his movies on this countdown. He is my favorite director by far. He gives a damn about quality and he hasn't made a bad movie yet. I think Dark Knight Rises is his worse movie but even that isn't a bad movie. (Think it suffered after Ledger died, believe he was planning on using him again). He just has an extraordinary talent for providing thought provoking stories with stunning visuals. So I get pumped up when he has a movie releasing like next year.

Interstellar itself takes some serious balls to make. If you like nothing else the movie provides you have to admire it's ambition and big ideas lays on the table. Now I think some of the story gets convoluted and messy at times but it's still pretty well done. It's not just a Sci-fi story with cool visuals it does have some heart. McConaughey really anchors the story and everyone in it is very solid but this movie is more about ideas than the performances. The score is amazing. The visuals are, per Nolan usual, nearly flawless. The ideas are big and the opposite of lazy. The story packs enough of emotional punch to keep you invested in the characters and performances. It's just a refreshing movie in a sea of franchise superhero movies and rebooted unoriginal uninspiring story telling. Plus I do think this movie will age well. #InNolanITrust

Director - Christopher Nolan
Best Performance - Mathew McConaughey as Cooper
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 72%
Factoid - Steven Spielberg, who was attached to direct this movie in 2006, and hired Jonathan Nolan to write the screenplay, chose other projects instead. In 2012, after Spielberg's departure, Jonathan Nolan suggested the project to his brother Christopher Nolan.

Memorable Scene

Creed - 2015

"Every punch I’ve ever thrown has been on my own. Nobody showed me how to do this. I’m ready."
Ryan mother F*ing Coogler. My god the birth of a true talent. This man has an eye for cinema that I hope gets the chance to work on the biggest canvas it can. The scene I posted below is special. 2 rounds of boxing shot in one take. You can't help but be awed by it. Then he consolidates his talent later in the last fight during the entrances proving he has an eye for spectacle and the moment that I hope gets to flex for a long time. Also that last entrance is a great example of Coogler being able to add his voice subtly to a movie. He is so massively talented, I hope he doesn't get boxed into just doing black themed movies like a Spike Lee. I believe he has the talent to transcend cinema like Spielberg, maybe not to that level, but close to it if he works on more accessible type films. I just root for the guy, we are practically the same age, and you can tell in interviews the guy is just genuine to the bone with people. Hope he takes over Hollywood.

This movie however brings the Rocky franchise to a new generation. I have never been a huge Rocky guy. (Ironic since I've really become a fan of boxing like 5 years ago, I was always just causal until then.) I just never got into the movies, I've seen most of them when I was younger and know what happens but couldn't recite them. However, I loved this movie. Coogler gives a masterclass in how to pay homage to original films while creating a film with it's own identity. Michael B. Jordan is wonderful in the lead role but Stallone really brings it as an older trainer Rocky. Brings his story full circle as well.

It's a damn shame Coogler couldn't come back for Creed 2 (which I've only seen 1/3 of the movie so far). I know the movie was personal for him because Rocky is his dad's favorite movie and he convinced a reluctant Stallone to do it. I mean it worked out for him doing Black Panther, but it's still a shame. Do yourself a favor and watch some Coogler interviews online. You can help but like the guy. It sort of fallen a bit in my countdown just because I haven't seen it in awhile, but I really do love the movie.

Director - Ryan Coogler
Best Performance - Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 95%
Factoid - Following in the tradition of his father Apollo, Adonis is named after a character in Greek mythology. Whereas Apollo was named after the Greek sun god, Adonis is named after the demi-god of beauty and desire.

Memorable Scene

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was okay. Of your honorable mentions, North By Northwest is very good. Castaway is okay. Don't like Deadpool. Don't think I've ever even heard of Extract. Haven't seen the rest.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was okay. Of your honorable mentions, North By Northwest is very good. Castaway is okay. Don't like Deadpool. Don't think I've ever even heard of Extract. Haven't seen the rest.
Extract was made by Mike Judge. He got his start by creating Bevis and Butt-head. He made King Of The Hill, (I never really liked but maybe I didn't get it when I was younger) Office Space and Idiocracy. He also created the show Silicon Valley on HBO (which I've never seen). He has actually had quite a prolific career.

But Extract is just a low budget under the radar comedy. Has Bateman starring with Mila Kunis, Kristen Wiig (before she was big), JK Simmons and bunch of others. It's a hidden gem to me but you don't seem to like much of what I like so I don't recommend it for you

The Big Lebowski - 1998

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
My second Jeff Bridges and Coen Brothers movie together. I guess they do good work together. This is a classic. When the Coen Brothers are at their best their dialogue combines with great characters to create memorable cinema. The Big Lebowski is just that right cocktail mixed together to go down smooth. Bridges as "The Dude" is unforgettable and there are countless other memorable characters in the film. However, the one that takes the cake to me has to be John Goodman's Walter. The Dude is the protagonist but man does Goodman have the most memorable scenes and lines in the film. His character is funny every time he is on screen. His uptight quick to temper is the exact opposite to Bridges's laid back, hardly a pulse, Dude. It just creates great comedy to see these two polar opposite personalities try and tackle the situation The Dude finds himself in.

If you haven't seen this movie I strongly suggest pouring yourself a white Russian around your favorite rug and watching it. This is the Coen Brothers at the peak of their quirky powers.

Director - Coen Brothers
Best Performance - John Goodman as Walter Sobchak
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 83%
Factoid - The Dude says "man" 147 times in the movie, nearly one and a half times a minute.

Memorable Scene

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 2015

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to face your fate."
I had to put one Mission Impossible movie on the countdown and I think this is the best one to do it. I think the momentum for the franchise was really slowed down after the 3rd Mission movie. Seemed like a franchise that had worn it's welcome out and Tom Cruise was just hanging on to past glory. Then Ghost Protocol came and was like a jolt to the franchise. It seemed to head in a fresh new direction: What crazy ass stunt is Cruise willing to do next to entertain us? Then they build the story around the stunts. Well Rogue Nation to me is the culmination of all the movies before it and finding it's identity as a franchise. Protocol took the franchise in a new direction and Nation seemed to grab it and proceed with a new confidence. Maybe that can be attributed to Cruise finding his go to guy in McQuarrie. Whatever it is this movie is just pure straight up big popcorn action entertainment and it knows it.

Tom Cruise is one weird dude, but he almost has to be clinically insane to continue to do what he does. His reign as a bonafide movie star lead has been 40 freaking years with no signs of slowing down. Whatever you think of the man you have to admire the lengths he goes to just entertain us. Everyone is great in Nation and it goes without saying Cruise always brings it for these movies, these films are his babies. However, I think what separates this film is Rebecca Ferguson's turn as Faust. She really brings a presence to the film that Cruise has not had really in the franchise: an equal. Well maybe not quite an equal but someone who will consistently challenge Ethan Hunt. She is a real stand out.

Seems to be no slowing down for Cruise either as Fallout was amazing as well and they just announced MI7 and MI8 will film back to back next year for a 2021 and 2022 release. He will be 60 be the time 2022 is released. You have to imagine he is passing the torch in those movies. I wonder who he has in mind if anyone?

Director - Christopher McQuarrie
Best Performance - Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa Faust
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 93%
Factoid - Tom Cruise performed the sequence where Ethan Hunt climbs on the outside of a flying airplane (an Airbus A400M) without the use of visual effects or a stunt double. At times, he was suspended on the aircraft five thousand feet in the air.

Memorable Scene

Superbad - 2007

"Muhammed is the most commonly used name on Earth. Read a f*cking book for once."
This movie is so authentic it hurts . Any normal around 18 year old boy will tell you this struggle is real. Trying to get with girls with the inadequate tools to make it happen while looking for ways to get alcohol is that struggle. You are just trying to figure out who you are while navigating peer pressure. Man I remember having a fake ID, well it was just an older kid's ID who I could pass for. I didn't start drinking until I was 19 so it wasn't a long struggle for me. I only got turned down twice with it.

This is just a fun time at a movie with a bunch of laughs. Believe this is Jonah Hill's first leading role. Micheal Cera plays awkward teenager perfectly. Rogen and Hader are entertaining as hell as dumb witted cops. Plus this is Emma Stone's first film credit. However, the most memorable character/performance was Mintz-Plasse as "McLovin". It's painfully good at how well he was cast in this role. I have that McLovin ID somewhere in my house.

Anyways you can tell a lot of time and care was put into making this movie. It's about the perfect coming of age comedy there is. I really do like this movie but for some reason I was never in love with it. Back 3rd of my countdown is about right.

Director - Greg Mottola
Best Performance - Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fogell aka McLovin
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 87%
Factoid - Writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg started this script when they were just thirteen years old, because "we just wanted to see if we could write a movie."
Stock In Countdown - Netural

Memorable Scene

Goodfellas - 1990

"As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster."
I am a funny guy how? Am I a clown? . This is probably on just about everyone's countdown. It's a cinematic classic. Scorsese at his peak. This movie feels super authentic to what it felt like to be a gangster in New York. Di Nero and Pecsi are born to play these roles, but the dude who really brings it is Ray Liotta as Henry Hill. Can't imagine anyone else in that role.

Listen I don't know what else to say about this movie. I am sure pretty much everyone on this site has seen it and knows how good it is. It is a little further back in my countdown because I didn't catch on to how good it was until probably my mid 20s. Playing catch up like a lot of good movies are doing before my taste in movies got better. Plus I do think the movie can sometimes drag for a bit. But I haven't watched it in awhile so I am probably talking out of my arse. I think low 70s is about right.

Director - Martin Scorsese
Best Performance - Ray Liotta as Henry Hill
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 96%
Factoid - Al Pacino was offered the role of Jimmy Conway, but he turned it down, due to fears of typecasting. Ironically, that same year, Pacino ended up playing an even more stereotyped gangster, Big Boy Caprice in Dick Tracy (1990). He admits he regrets this decision.
Stock In Countdown - Netural

Memorable Scene

Gone Baby Gone - 2007

"And if that girl only hope is you, well, I pray for her, because she's gone, baby....Gone."
This movie remind me a lot of Mystic River that was already on the countdown except a little bit better to me. This sort of started Ben Affleck's reconnaissance and helped him get back into the good graces of Hollywood. He is actually a really good director. Went into The Town after this and Argo which nabbed him another Oscar. Seemed like his acting even got better after this movie . Maybe the wisest move he made was not staring in this flick and letting his brother take the lead. Probably revitalized his love for movies. Just a theory. .

Speaking of Casey he really does a great job playing an undercover detective of sorts. It adds an interesting dynamic when his girlfriend, played by Michelle Monaghan, is his partner. Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman are good as well. I believe Amy Ryan got nominated for an Oscar for her role, she is really damn convincing as Boston white trash . It is a really good mystery that unravels at the end that sort of ask you a moral question. What would you do? Again if you liked Mystic River chances are you will really like this flick.

Director - Ben Affleck
Best Performance - Casey Affleck as Patrick Kenzie
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 94%
Factoid - Amy Ryan was so convincing with her Boston accent in her audition, that Writer and Director Ben Affleck asked her what part of Boston she was from.

Memorable Scene