MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

→ in
Tools    

Nice, Top 101 MovieBuffering! I haven't had time to comment but have admired it. I love a lot of the movies you've selected but what??? No Amelie!

100 Arrival - 2016
The movie itself is visually amazing...
Yup the visuals sure are amazing. The best part is the look of the aliens, their ship and their ink cloud language. That was very cool and original looking. I like Amy Adams in it but the military plot seemed pot boiler so ultimately I didn't care for the film.

97 Blade Runner - 1982
...I couldn't imagine watching this in 1982.
I watched it a half dozen times back in 1982 at this old theater with a huge screen. The original theatrical cut would not only make my Top 100 it would make my Top 10 for sure. Glad to see it on your list!

95 Full Metal Jacket - 1987

All conversations about this movie start and end with Lee Ermey's performance. I am a sucker for movies that produce iconic/unforgettable performances/characters. This performance ranks right up there. Every second the man is on screen you are captivated. ...
Amen to that, Ermey is the man! I liked him in this so much that I went looking for other of his movies. If you him in Full Metal Jacket, definitely check him out in another Vietnam war movie, The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989)

93 Animal House - 1978

It's amazing how many comedy career's National Lampoon and Doug Kenney launched. John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and many others...
It's been a long time since I seen Animal House but hell yeah, great choice!

92 Gladiator - 2000

I have a confession to make. I have never sat down and watched this movie all the way through on one seating...
Ha! I love that sentence. Joaquin Phoenix was awesome in this, but I didn't care for the film. Cool sets though!

89 Spotlight - 2015

On paper I shouldn't like this movie.
That's what I was just thinking, Spotlight doesn't seem like a film that would be on your list, but hey it's your list...and I think Spotlight is one of the best films make in the last 10 years.

87 The Jerk - 1979

Well this movie probably wouldn't get made today.
Ha, you're right it wouldn't and couldn't be made today, but damn is it funny.

Dude so far awesome list you've put together

Titanic - 1997

"Draw me like one of your French girls."
Damn it. I want to hate this movie. I remember hating it when it came out. I was 10. Sappy love story. Super long. Hated that Celine Dion song. (still kind of cold on that). I remember I saw my buddy buying that single in Wal Mart when I was like 12 and laughed at him lol. Over the top fans along with DiCaprio being a teen heartthrob back then. But God Damn it I just can't hate it. I always stop when I see it on tv. It is just a riveting story engulfed by a compelling real life event. The melodrama just works combined with the actual Titanic story. It's crazy how long it stood as the biggest box office ever. (Seems to shift a lot more now).

It also has the distinction of introducing one of the greatest actors of my generation, well an actor I grew with, in Leonardo DiCaprio. This really launched him. Kate Winslet was launched as well but not meteorically like Leo. She can also take pride in being the first pair of hooters I ever saw when I was like 10. Kate welcomed me to manhood (some may question if I ever actually made it there) This movie falls apart if Kate and Leo do not work together and man does their chemistry shine. They still seem like best of friends off camera some 20 years after. This movie really is a cinematic achievement. Whatever you want to say about Cameron dude knows how to make a blockbuster. Might not have been as huge a success in someone else's hands.

Even though I begrudgingly put it in my countdown I can't deny it's place in movie history and in my countdown. It really does catch you and pull you in every time.

Director - James Cameron
Best Performance - Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack Dawson
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 89%
Factoid - The hands seen sketching Rose are not Leonardo DiCaprio's, but director James Cameron's. In post-production, Cameron, who is left-handed, mirror-imaged the sketching shots so the artist would appear to be right-handed, like DiCaprio.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker ( couldn't resist)

Memorable Scene

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I love Titanic, so you're in good company I seen the real Titanic artifact exhibit when it came to Seattle. They had an actually piece of the Titanic's hall that you could touch, that gave me goose bumps.

I love Titanic, so you're in good company I seen the real Titanic artifact exhibit when it came to Seattle. They had an actually piece of the Titanic's hall that you could touch, that gave me goose bumps.
oh sh*t. Are you from Seattle Citizen? Me and 2 other buddies might just book a trip out there. Think we might book our flights tomorrow. I found $214 round trip from damn Tampa. Too good of a deal to turn down.

If you are you gotta give me some spots for us to visit and where to stay at. We are all early 30s bachelors. Think it's the first week of October. Going try and go to the Seahawks-Rams game on the 3rd on a Thursday. I've always had an infatuation with Seattle. The SuperSonics were always my west team (I'am die hard Magic fan). Also screw OKC glad they fell apart, hope they never win till Supersonics are back. Plus I grew up watching Frasier and still cherish that show. Just for some reason always dug Seattle never been.

I also might shoot down to Portland for a couple days. Have a childhood buddy that works at Nike. But we will see. Trip isn't set in stone yet but pretty close. Not many cities left I want to see in he US but Seattle has always been a top priority.

Mystic River - 2003

"Maybe some day you forget what it's like to be human and maybe then, it's ok."
Time for the feel good story on my countdown . This one is a little intense to watch. Eastwood is the man, guy is a machine. The performances in this movie are really stellar. Robbins and Penn won Oscars for Best Supporting Actor and Best Lead Actor respectively. I'd edge out Robbins as a little better, he played aloof and disturbed really well. Bacon and Fishburne worked well together and this movie has a young Emmy Rossum in it before Shameless fame. (She doesn't do too much in it).

I think it was the first movie I watched and noticed Boston as a key part of the story. Like Boston was a character in the movie itself. It can be a tough watch but it is pretty suspenseful at times and keeps you guessing who is guilty. Makes you want to watch until the end to find out. That's what good stories do they keep your attention. It was executed (no pun intended) really well.

Might be a little higher but again I haven't revisited it in awhile so maybe it is a bit higher. Might go up if I saw it recently, but you really have to be in a certain mood to watch it

Director - Clint Eastwood
Best Performance - Tim Robbins as Dave Boyle
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 88%
Factoid - Michael Keaton was originally cast as Sean Devine. Forest Whitaker was the original choice for Whitey Powers and almost accepted, but had to back out due to other conflicts.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Trailer

Great post. I appreciate the in-depth knowledge you have. Thanks a lot for sharing.

oh sh*t. Are you from Seattle Citizen? Me and 2 other buddies might just book a trip out there. Think we might book our flights tomorrow. I found $214 round trip from damn Tampa. Too good of a deal to turn down.

If you are you gotta give me some spots for us to visit and where to stay at. We are all early 30s bachelors....
I'm not from Seattle, I live a couple of hours away in the sticks. It's been a few years since I been there, but hell yeah! there's a ton of neat stuff to do in Seattle! $214 round trip from Tampa, that's a screaming deal. I've flew the other direction from Seattle to Tampa and it was always around $350 or more. I hope you can get a direct flight, I never could...Stuff for bachelors in their 30s to do? Head down to Pioneer Square and there's tons of nicer bars with live music...and there's lots of other stuff to do in Pioneer Square other than drink and jam! Oh weed is legal, you can buy it in Marijuana shops. I don't partake so I don't know if it's expensive, but at yeast you don't have to feel like a criminal in WA state Other than that there's all the usual tourist stuff that's fun like Pike Place market, Space Needle. Oh I know something cool, Seattle is right on the Puget Sound and you can easily go whale watching. I did that and we seen Gray whales, so cool to see and the boat ride is awesome too! Have fun

I'm not from Seattle, I live a couple of hours away in the sticks. It's been a few years since I been there, but hell yeah! there's a ton of neat stuff to do in Seattle! $214 round trip from Tampa, that's a screaming deal. I've flew the other direction from Seattle to Tampa and it was always around $350 or more. I hope you can get a direct flight, I never could...Stuff for bachelors in their 30s to do? Head down to Pioneer Square and there's tons of nicer bars with live music...and there's lots of other stuff to do in Pioneer Square other than drink and jam! Oh weed is legal, you can buy it in Marijuana shops. I don't partake so I don't know if it's expensive, but at yeast you don't have to feel like a criminal in WA state Other than that there's all the usual tourist stuff that's fun like Pike Place market, Space Needle. Oh I know something cool, Seattle is right on the Puget Sound and you can easily go whale watching. I did that and we seen Gray whales, so cool to see and the boat ride is awesome too! Have fun
Nice thanks. Yea not direct flight lol. My sister lives in Denver, I am familiar with not feeling like a criminal lol. I'll have to check out those spots thanks.

Naked Gun Trilogy - 1988, 1991, 1994

"Like a midget at a urinal I was going have to stay on my toes"
"Like a blind man at an orgy I was going have to feel things out."
"The truth hurts, oh sure maybe not as much as jumping on a bike without a seat, but it hurts"
Meh, I cheated and put 3 movies in one. They are all basically the same movie. Might do it a few more times in this countdown.

Leslie Nielsen is a God damn legend at delivering comedy lines deadpan. He is the whole reason these movies even remotely work. Even if the lines are not particularly funny Nielsen makes them work with his delivery. I remember when I was like 12 or so watching these movies in my room at like 2 am and waking up my parents from laughing. Granted they were funnier back then but they still pack some laughs now. Also it's incredibly ironic to watch OJ Simpson be lovable with what would happen later in his life . And Jesus did Anna Nicole look amazing in the 3rd one

I know the movies themselves are not very good but they were spawned off Airplane! And these movies inspired, unfortunately in most cases, all those scary movie spoofs and the terrible ones to follow. So in a way it was kind of an innovative genre in Hollywood. Something to be said for that . These movies will always hold a soft spot for me. As you can tell I like comedies and if you can make me laugh you have a good chance of making this countdown

Director - David Zucker & Peter Segal
Best Performance - Leslie Nielsen as Frank Drebin
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 87%, 57% and 54% respectively.
Factoid - With "Weird Al" Yankovic's and Jeff Wright's appearances in these movies, they are the only actors, outside of the main characters, to appear in all three movies of the franchise.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Memorable Lines

Back To The Future - 1985

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."
The movie came out two years before I was born. If it were made in the 90s it would probably be much higher on my list. Just wasn't a big part of my DNA being a 90s kid. Still adore the film though. Plus Doc and Marty were sort of the inspiration behind one of my favorite shows going right now Rick and Morty. There is no question this movie struck a nerve on pop culture even to this day. Micheal J Fox as Marty McFly is about as perfect casting as there is, he was flawless in the role. (Saw Mathew Modine turned down the role on Kevin Nealon's Hiking show ). But the real star to me of the movie is Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown. He is so damn memorable in that role you can't envision anyone else playing him. "Great Scott!"

When Zemeckis is on he sure can make a movie. This movie just has a great inventive atmosphere and joyful spirit about it. If someone doesn't like this movie you have to seriously consider not being around them anymore because they are probably no fun. So many memorable scenes and moments. Made 88 miles per hour a catchphrase and made a DeLorean a cool car. Flux capacitor feels like a legit scientific thing now. Biff character also was unforgettable. I couldn't imagine being in theaters when this first came out, what an experience that would have been.

Director - Robert Zemeckis
Best Performance - Christopher Lloyd as Dr Emmett Brown
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 96%
Factoid - The rights to the film and its sequels are owned by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale. In a 2015 interview, Zemeckis maintained that no reboot or remake of the franchise would be authorized during his or Gale's lifetime. (Thank God)
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

Memorable Scene

True Grit - 2010

"They tell me you are a man with true grit."
I love me a good western. Add the Coen Brothers to the mix and you have the ingredients for a classic. What the Coen Brothers do so well is create an appropriate atmosphere in a movie with characters, dialogue and usually Roger Deakins in charge of cinematography. I do wish the Coen's would do a lot more Westerns. I believe their talents compliment the genre well. I thoroughly enjoy the dialogue they write for a movie like this. Their choice of words tickle my ear with entertainment . "You give out very little sugar with your pronouncements". "You display great poise". "Perhaps the local In'jins will take him in and honor his jibberings by making him chief." Just some examples .

But what makes this film truly special on top of the Coens is the performances. Everyone is on their A+ game. Bridges, Damon, Brolin (in the little he is in), Barry Pepper all bring it. Damon has a real fun character to me, makes me laugh a few times. However, what really sets this film apart is Hailee Steinfeld's turn as Mattie Ross. Only 13 when cast for the 14 year old character she really masterfully and confidently plays this head strong teenage girl in a very manly setting. Say "Hello" Hollywood. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars and lost to Melissa Leo but she should have won easily. In fact she should have been nominated for Best Actress because she is the protagonist and in my opinion could have won that (Natalie won that year for Black Swan I believe). It really is a remarkable turn. It is strange since the movie that she has turned into a pop star, weird career path, she is still only 22 though.

Anyways, Coens + Western + Stellar Cast + Deakins = Gold. Could be a couple spots higher but maybe next time.

Director - Coen Brothers
Best Performance - Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 96%
Factoid - Fifteen thousand girls applied for the role of the young Mattie Ross, the part going to Hailee Steinfeld. She was 13 years old when cast. It was her theatrical feature-film debut.
Stock In Countdown - Riser

Memorable Scene

Anchorman - 2004

"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."
What can I say this movie makes me laugh. This is probably Ferrell's most memorable character. He is way too good at playing Burgundy. This movie is just fun. It also really launched Steve Carrell's movie career. He got the 40 Year Old Virgin the following year and The Office but Brick was so damn funny. I remember watching this movie with my buddy and every time Brick was on screen he was in tears . It was also what sort of reset Paul Rudd's career. Christina Applegate also is great and more than holds her own in this movie. They were all great in this. So many memorable moments as well. Really is a comedy classic. The sequel....not as much .

Ferrell had a hot streak during this time. Pretty much everything after Step Brothers I haven't really cared for though. Seems like he has just lost his touch. Guess it happens to all comedy movie actors like Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Eddie Murphy etc. They hit a hot streak then their shtick just wears thin I guess. This was most definitely one of his strongest movies though.

Director - Adam McKay
Best Performance - Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 66%
Factoid - Will Ferrell's character, Ron Burgundy, was inspired by veteran Detroit WDIV-TV broadcaster Mort Crim (1978-1997).
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

Memorable Scene

Hey I admit it I like that one! Though Anchorman 2 sucked.
Yea they should have left it alone. It was almost unwatchable at points. Just think a comedic movie star has like a window of 5 to 10 movies before their touch get stale. Ferrell really hasn't had the touch since Step Brothers (which I actually disliked when it first came out, but actually grown fond of since, but not on my countdown)

It's become very chic on this site to bash this movie...thanks for having the cajones to admit how good it is. I love it too.
I get the hate. I want to hate it to. I just can't though. It should be bad but it all just works. It's just damn good entertainment and a touchstone in cinema history. Can't deny it.

My favorite part is actually watching everyone on the present ship roll their eyes at old Rose telling the story and then they are all gripped by the end realizing she isn't full of it.

My favorite scene is when Rose jumps off the lifeboat and runs back to Jack and he tells her she's so stupid...brings tears to my eyes every time I watch.