Ahwell's Lists and Projects

→ in
Tools    

My last review thread didn't really work out, and I think that was because writing reviews just took too much time and energy. So I've decided to do another form of reviews, by keeping track of my lists and projects here. This will include lists and explanations of my favorite movies, and other activities I might do.

Movie Forums Top Animated Movies Bracket Challenge
Round of 64 (Round One)
Round of 32 (Round Two)
Sweet Sixteen (Round Three)
Elite Eight (Round Four)
Final Four (Round Five)
Championship Round (Round Six)
WINNER: Spirited Away

Top 10 of the 2010s

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs Bracket Challenge
Round of 64 (Round One)

Animated Films Tournament Bracket

I'm obssessed with March Madness and brackets, so I decided to try making one based on the Movie Forums Top 100 Animated Movies, seeding the Top 64. I will try to go through and watch the films so I can write reviews. To decide which film movies to the next round these criteria will be used:
Originality
Script
Animation
Characters
Music/Sound
Themes/Values
Structure/Pacing

First round matchups:

#1 Toy Story vs. #16 Kung Fu Panda
#8 The Lego Movie vs. #9 Alice in Wonderland
#5 Fantastic Mr. Fox vs. #12 Ghost in the Shell
#4 Toy Story 2 vs. #13 Dumbo
#6 Pinocchio vs. #11 Waking Life
#3 Princess Mononoke vs. #14 Castle in the Sky
#7 South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut vs. #10 Frozen
#2 Ratatouille vs. #15 Charlotte's Web

#1 Up vs. #16 Plague Dogs
#8 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs vs. #9 Rango
#5 My Neighbor Totoro vs. #12 A Scanner Darkly
#4 Aladdin vs. #13 Bambi
#6 Mary and Max vs. #11 How the Grinch Stole Christmas
#3 Toy Story 3 vs. #14 Duck Amuck
#7 Waltz with Bashir vs. #10 Howl's Moving Castle
#2 Monsters, Inc. vs. #15 Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

#1 Spirited Away vs. #16 Yellow Submarine
#8 Nausicaa of the Valley Wind vs. #9 Wallace and Grommit: The Wrong Trousers
#5 How to Train Your Dragon vs. #12 Whisper of the Heart
#4 The Nightmare Before Christmas vs. #13 Chicken Run
#3 The Incredibles vs. #14 Sleeping Beauty
#6 The Iron Giant vs. #11 Porco Rosso
#7 Wreck-it Ralph vs. #10 Kiki's Delivery Service
#2 Finding Nemo vs. #15 The Jungle Book

#1 Wall-E vs. #16 Despicable Me
#8 Akira vs. #9 Coraline
#5 Fantasia vs. #12 Fantastic Planet
#4 The Grave of the Fireflies vs. #13 The Simpsons Movies
#3 Beauty and the Beast vs. #14 Tale of Tales
#6 Shrek vs. #11 Perfect Blue
#7 Persepolis vs. #10 The Little Mermaid
#2 The Lion King vs. #15 The Illusionist

My Neighbor Totoro v Scanner Darkly.... Interesting matchup

My Neighbor Totoro v Scanner Darkly.... Interesting matchup
Haha, yeah, that’s how it worked out.

1. Originality

Toy Story
Of course it's going to be Toy Story. This film was the first fully computer animated film, but besides that, it also brought a new Renaissance to the Animation Era, one where adults and kids alike could enjoy these films equally. That is truly what "Pixar Magic" is, and it all started here. Kung Fu Panda is of course original in it's wacky idea of a panda doing martial arts... but it doesn't stand a chance to Toy Story.

2. Script/Screenplay

Toy Story
The script of Toy Story is part of the reason why it still holds up today, and kids and adults alike can enjoy it. It is simply an intelligent, brilliantly well designed screenplay with hilarious jokes, interesting dialogues, and great character development. Unlike the Disney films of the 90s, Toy Story brings its screenplay above and beyond, and in doing so ushered in a new age of animation.

3. Animation

Kung Fu Panda
As influential as Toy Story's animation was, it's not much to look at anymore. With Kung Fu Panda we get beautiful oriental colors and designs, and the animals like fresh and interesting.

4. Characters

Toy Story
With Toy Story, two of the most iconic animated characters ever were created, Woody and Buzz. Alongside them are every other toy, all of whom bring delightful imaginative personalities to the film that just are on a different level than that of Kung Fu Panda.

5. Music/Sound

Toy Story
Neither of these soundtracks are masterpieces, but Randy Newman pulled off a satisfying score to Toy Story, including You've Got a Friend in Me, which may be a bit dated, but it's still as heartwarming to listen to as ever.

6. Themes/Values

Toy Story
Toy Story's themes might be a bit deeper and darker than you remember. Alongside the themes of friendship and being able to adapt to change, we get the hard truth that sometimes you can't be everything you want to be. Kung Fu Panda is more of a Rocky with martial arts and animals... it works, I guess.

7. Structure/Pacing

Both these films have very basic structures, but I prefer Toy Story's. Woody and Buzz, who each have their respective climaxes near the end, have great early scenes of building character, and their resolutions are perfect.

Toy Story - 6
Kung Fu Panda - 1

Winner: #1 Toy Story

1. Originality

Monsters, Inc.
All the monsters and buildings are so cool and original in Monsters, Inc. so it has to beat out Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

2. Script/Screenplay

Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
This movie has one of the wittiest scripts I know. I don't know why I would expect anything different from a Wallace and Grommit movie...

3. Animation

Monsters, Inc.
Every detail is well placed, I loved the snow scenes, and Pixar just really ramped it up from Toy Story and a Bug's Life.

4. Characters

Monsters, Inc.
As great as Wallace and Grommit are, Sully, Mike, and Boo, are just too great to miss. They have perfect chemistry and the supporting cast is great too.

5. Music/Sound

Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
This movie had a suprisingly fascinating and interesting soundtrack. I loved the organ playing scene, the horror elements, and the simple fun orchestrations and rhythms that went with Wallace and Grommit's adventures.

6. Themes/Values

Monsters, Inc.
Monsters, Inc. of course has a deep theme, because it's Pixar and that's what we expect from them. For this film, I think it's about creating joy rather than fear in the world, and understand differences. But a lot of the themes of this movie are actually up to interpretation, which makes them all the better.

7. Structure/Pacing

Monsters, Inc.
It's a wild romp, but the structure and pacing of Monsters Inc. is smooth, controlled, and beautifully well planned. It has the same type of plot structure as Wallace and Grommit, but I think Monsters, Inc. pulls it off better.

Monsters, Inc. - 5
Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 2

Winner: #2 Monsters, Inc.

1. Originality

The Incredibles
This is a crazy fun super hero spoof with real family issues, about discovering your talent, and has a fun fashin designer who refuses to make capes... yes, it's going to win over a Disney princess tale, no matter how well made it is.

2. Script/Screenplay

The Incredibles
A criticism I often have for superhero movies are the lackluster script, completely plot based and uninteresting. The Incredibles is a nice chance. Four years before Marvel would bring something new to the game, this movie fused comedy, action, and drama to create a brilliant script, something new for the genre.

3. Animation

Sleeping Beauty
WOW. That was my first reaction watching this beautiful looking film. Everything is drawn with such love, such color, such design. I actually feel like I'm in some fantasy world, with Maleficient appearing alive on the screen... just breath taking, beautiful, animation.

4. Characters

The Incredibles
The Incredibles family is enough character-wise to beat out Sleeping Beauty, but then let's add on Edna Mode and Syndrome, and The Incredibles slams it out of the ballpark. This movie has some of the most brilliant and iconic characters in all of Pixar or animation.

5. Music/Sound

Sleeping Beauty
Tchaikovsky used to be my favorite composer of all time, and I still love him. Disney uses him to perfection here, to an unfair level. Giacchino's score for The Incredibles is actually one of my favorites, but that cannot beat out Disney's use of Tchaikovsky. Totally on par.

6. Themes/Values

The Incredibles
The Incredibles is all about not being afraid to show your talent. It's a message that reappears in Ratatouille and other animated films, but it's demonstrated to perfection here. We are totally immersed in the situation and world of the themes of the Incredibles.

7. Structure/Pacing

The Incredibles
The Incredibles is really long for an animated film, but it pays off. It is a grand spectacle structure-wise, and we get a huge story with huge climaxes. The pacing is on par, and character development is given space to breathe. Great structure.

The Incredibles - 5
Sleeping Beauty - 2

Winner: #3 The Incredibles

Too bad... I did love Sleeping Beauty, much more than I thought. The Incredibles is just too good.

#4 Grave of the Fireflies vs. #13 The Simpsons Movie

How about this match up?

1. Originality

Grave of the Fireflies
This is one of the most original animated movies out there. It covers the slow descent of two Japanese children from well off to starving... not the happiest content, but it sure is original!

2. Script/Screenplay

The Simpsons Movie
The script of The Simpsons Movie is everything you would expect from the Simpsons. Fast, fun, witty, packed with references and jokes. The script is always the crown jewel of Simpsons episodes, and it didn't disappoint with the movie either.

3. Animation

Grave of the Fireflies
I wasn't a huge fan of either of these films' animation, but the Grave of the Fireflies had some beautiful moments, so I went with that. A lot of the color schemes and designs were just brilliant and soulful as well.

4. Characters

The Simpsons Movie
It's hard to imagine more fun, vibrant, and well mapped out characters than in the Simpsons Movies. Grave of the Fireflies, when I think about it, really has not very interesting characters, which really hurts it quite a bit. The Simpsons Movie, on the other hand, even has developed characters such as Homer, and this pays off for great character arcs and personalities.

5. Music/Sound

Grave of the Fireflies
The soundtrack to Grave of the Fireflies is beautiful, and I'm wishing it were more easily accessible. There are chilling atonal passages, beautiful Baroque style chords and melodies, and gorgeous instrumentation. Well done.

6. Themes/Values

Grave of the Fireflies
There are moments in Grave of the Fireflies where the characters seem to turn and look at us, look into our soul, asking who we are and why we are and why this has to be. For instance, right after the kids leave, the aunt turns for a second, looking right at the camera. It is an expression of almost satisfaction, almost guilt... something unexplainable, like she knows exactly how this movie would turn out. It is that wordless expression that lies at the core of theme of this movie. It is certainly up to interpretation, but for me it is somewhat about the relationship between the needy and the greedy... or perhaps the difference. The Simpsons Movies is a wild blast, but doesn't measure up to Grave of the Fireflies for themes.

7. Structure/Pacing

The Simpsons Movie
I have a lot of problems with the structure of Grave of the Fireflies, I think it could have been done much more effectively. The Simpsons Movies has a fairly basic structure but it works and checks all the boxes for a fun and acceptable movie. So, nothing special from either side, but I'd give it to the Simpsons Movie.

Grave of the Fireflies - 4
The Simpson Movie - 3

Winner: #4 Grave of the Fireflies

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Toy Story - 6
Kung Fu Panda - 1

While I agree that Toy Story is the winner of this match, it's a much closer match than it looks on paper. Kung Fu Panda is also a great movie with some fun characters.

Monsters, Inc. - 5
Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 2

This match isn't even close for me. I've seen Monsters, Inc. many times, and it's one of my favorite animated movies. I've only seen Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit once, and I didn't like it enough to want to watch it again.

So for me, Monsters, Inc. is the clear winner of this match.

The Incredibles - 5
Sleeping Beauty - 2

Too bad... I did love Sleeping Beauty, much more than I thought. The Incredibles is just too good.
This is another match that I agree with you. The Incredibles is a great movie that just gets better with every rewatch. On the other hand, Sleeping Beauty is worth watching once in a while, but it doesn't hold up on rewatches as well as most other Disney movies.

How about this match up?

Grave of the Fireflies - 4
The Simpson Movie - 3

I can't really make a fair choice on this match because I'm one of the few people who hates "The Simpsons" TV show, so I've never seen The Simpson Movie. I've seen Grave of the Fireflies once, and I remember it being a pretty good movie, so I'm glad to see it win over The Simpson Movie.

Toy Story - 6
Kung Fu Panda - 1

While I agree that Toy Story is the winner of this match, it's a much closer match than it looks on paper. Kung Fu Panda is also a great movie with some fun characters.
Yeah, I totally agree, Kung Fu Panda was great, Toy Story just did everything a little bit better.

1. Originality

Ghost in the Shell
Although I wasn't a fan of Ghost in the Shell, it had a pretty cool and original concept. Fantastic Mr. Fox is about some foxes who thwart some farmers... which is of course great in Wes Anderson's hands but it's overall idea gets beaten out by Ghost in the Shell.

2. Script/Screenplay

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Not even close. Ghost in the Shell has a pretty abysmal script, and Fantastic Mr. Fox has a pretty *cussing* amazing script. All of the characters just have great dialogue scenes, hilarious jokes, everything witty and so Wes Anderson. I love it.

3. Animation

Fantastic Mr. Fox
I wasn't a huge fan of the way either of these were animated, but I liked Fantastic Mr. Fox a bit more. Once you got used to the weird the way the animals looked, spoke, and talked, it kind of seemed natural. Ghost in the Shell's murky colors just began to bore me by the end.

4. Characters

Fantastic Mr. Fox
You know you've made some pretty darn great characters when all of them are foxes and look basically the same, but they just ooze personality traits and character ideas. By the end, we see each fox, which looks very similar, and they all have these brilliant, original, and amazing characters. There are several entire character arcs in this film too.

5. Music/Sound

Fantastic Mr. Fox
I was totally blown away by the soundtrack to this movie... Not only is Desplat's score on par with the quirkiness of an Anderson film, but we get some nice Beach Boys and other tunes used to absolute perfection. ... did Ghost in the Shell even have a score?

6. Themes/Values

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Yes, it's a fast and fun adventure crime film, but it has some deep meanings going for it. Fantastic Mr. Fox portrays our main characters as someone fighting with himself over being a family man and being who he wants to be. This is portrayed beautifully in the scene with the wolf near the end. We are left with several possible meanings, but I suspect it has something to do with the not-so-fine line between civilized and brute. That also ties into Ash's role in Fox's development.

7. Structure/Pacing

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Structurally, neither of these movies are super great. But Fantastic Mr. Fox won because I hated the pacing and structure of Ghost in the Shell. For me, it had a weak intro and conclusion and a semi interesting middle section. But that end really killed it for me. It was trying to be all thematic and philosophical and ended up falling apart. Fantastic Mr. Fox is your average film structurally, but it works and I liked it.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 6
Ghost in the Shell - 1

Winner: #5 Fantastic Mr. Fox

1. Originality

Mary and Max
I had never even heard of Mary and Max before I decided to do this challenge, and by the first fifteen minutes the first thing I knew was going to win over the Grinch was originality. The animation style, the dark humor, the narration, everything combines to form this incredibly original and moving film.

2. Script/Screenplay

Mary and Max
Neither of these films has great screenplays, but Mary and Max has brilliantly written letters between the two which are enough to make me give it to Mary and Max. Some of Max's letters, thoughts, and writings are so powerful and moving as well.

3. Animation

Mary and Max
The animation of this clay-motion film is fantastic and very detailed. Right from the get-go, we get close up shots of everyday objects, beautifully crafted. Every character is shaped un-realistically, but it works fine. This movie also uses colors very carefully and cleverly.

4. Characters

Mary and Max
Mary and Max are two of the most realistic, convincing characters in animated film. They both have problems and struggles, and they both know that they are imperfect. Though they make mistakes, I can't help but cheer them on and hope they will finally someday achieve their goals. The interesting thing is, the movie leaves it up to us whether Mary or Max really finds what they want out of life. That ambiguity is what makes their characters so great.

5. Music/Sound

Mary and Max
An odd film should have an suitably odd soundtrack, and Mary and Max's music is perfect. We get filler theme music and then a mix of classics like Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet and Handel's Zadok the Priest. Que Sera Sera makes an appearance too, in a suitably bittersweet scene.

6. Themes/Values

How the Grinch Stole Christmas
However complex and meaningful Mary and Max may be, I found myself drawn to the simple and effective themes of How the Grinch Stole Christmas more. There is a great character transition, although not a very good development, and the clear message of hope, love, and forgiveness that just makes me feel like my heart is growing three times bigger.

7. Structure/Pacing

Mary and Max
The structure of Mary and Max is thin, but the subject matter suits it. It is simple. Two life stories are told simultaneously. They interwine and cross at times, but never truly meet. This slice of life kind of thing is paced and structured to perfection, and I loved it.

Mary and Max - 6
How the Grinch Stole Christmas - 1

Winner: #6 Mary and Max

1. Originality

Wreck-it Ralph
Everything about this movie is just amazingly original. The way the video games are connected, how the characters view the outside world, the back stories of all the characters, the video games themselves. I could go on and on about how stunningly original it was.

2. Script/Screenplay

Wreck-it Ralph
Neither of these two movies had excellent scripts, but Wreck-it Ralph's was clearly a bit better. There were some funny moments, great dialogue scenes, and overall good chemistry between the actors and characters, facilitated by the interesting conversations they had.

3. Animation

Wreck-it Ralph
Disney ramped it up with animation around this time, and you can see it in this film. With the beautiful landscapes of Sugar Rush to the dark and ominous world of Hero's Duty to Ralph and the other characters themselves, Wreck-it Ralph is colorfully and beautifully animated.

4. Characters

Kiki's Delivery Service
While Ralph is probably my favorite character out of both movies, he is unfortunately cancelled out by the annoying Vanellope, who's stupid "duty" and "stinkbrain" jokes had me rolling my eyes. Kiki, her cat Jiji, and all the cool people she meets in her journey, are fun, colorful, characters who I think have great developments and arcs.

5. Music/Sound

Kiki's Delivery Service
With bright, catchy, melodies and good orchestration, Kiki's Delivery Service has a fantastic score. I loved the themes and the uses of real music inside the movie, such as when Kiki is flying. It adds a nice touch.

6. Themes/Values

Kiki's Delivery Service
This movie is all about growth, being able to accept who you are, and building upon it. There's not many lessons more important than that, especially for young viewers. This strongly presented yet effective theme hit me very powerfully, no matter how cliche it might be.

7. Structure/Pacing

Kiki's Delivery Service
It has a rather odd structure, although not for Miyazaki. But Kiki's Delivery Service sets out with a clear goal, and it achieves it with patience in it's pacing and structure. Kiki's journey is shown methodically and artistically, and I really enjoyed that.

Kiki's Delivery Service - 4
Wreck-it Ralph - 3

Winner: #10 Kiki's Delivery Service

This was my first upset and probably the toughest match yet - I loved both these movies a lot!

#8 Akira vs. #9 Coraline

1. Originality

Akira
Both these films are incredibly original, but I'd give originality to Akira because it takes what may be an overused concept (although it wasn't at the time) and changes it into a mind-boggling experience. We get weird and disturbing sequences with Tetsuo, especially near the end, that are just more original and fascinating than the button eyes in Coraline.

2. Script/Screenplay

Coraline
Neither of these films excelled with screenplay, but Coraline clearly did it stronger. Akira is entirely plot based, with little substance screenplay wise. Coraline, however, has some interesting moments of dialogue, especially with the cat and Coraline's other mother.

3. Animation

Akira
I was a fan of both animation styles, but the color and brilliance of Akira stood out more. Especially the city of Neo-Tokyo, set in 2019 (it was so cool to watch it from a modern day perspective) was fantastically animated. As I said, the creative ending sequences were also beautifully animated.

4. Characters

Coraline
There were so many wacky and odd characters in Coraline that I had to give it to this movie. Not only is Coraline herself a strong and likable main character, we get plenty of cool and deep characters like all (4!) of her parents, her friend, and her neighbors. We get two version of each as well, which is fun!

5. Music/Sound

Coraline
I frankly didn't like the music of either of these movies. I gave it to Coraline because I could at least remember some of the themes. I also think the music of Coraline set up some great atmospherical moments, especially in the quiet sequences.

6. Themes/Values

Akira
I won't claim that I know what the hell Akira really is about, but I will say it sure made me think. Was it social commentary, prediction for the future, a scientific exploration, maybe all three? Either way, the themes of these movies are clearly deep and complex, and I hope to explore them more on a second watch.

7. Structure/Pacing

Akira
Both of these films had similar structures, but I liked the pacing in Akira more. It seemed like in the earlier sequences it took more time, and then gradually let us in on what was going on. It was masterfully paced, and then came to a thrilling climax that basically left me with even more questions... and I'm happy when a movie does that, as long as it does it well, which Akira did!

Akira - 4
Coraline - 3

Winner: #8 Akira

I'm now 1/4 of the way through the round of 64.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@ahwell, I can't comment much about these last few matches because I haven't seen both movies in most of them.

The only match where I've seen both movies is #6 Mary and Max vs. #11 How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but it's been a while since I saw Mary and Max, and I don't remember much about it. But if I remember correctly, I think @Miss Vicky loves Mary and Max.

#1 Up vs. #16 The Plague Dogs

1. Originality

The Plague Dogs
Both of these movies are incredibly original, but I gave it to the Plague Dogs even though it was already based on a book. Even the movie takes its liberties and creates a visual and emotional atmosphere rarely seen in animation. The imagined sequences with the "master," the ambiguous ending, the way humans are shown... it all amounts to highly original filmmaking.

2. Script/Screenplay

Up
Up has an incredibly good script, which says a lot for a visual-based film, which I think Up is. There are funny scenes with Carl, Ellie, the dogs, and others. Although many jokes don't work, the script is fun and enjoyable.

3. Animation

Up
The animation in Up is stunning. From the beautifully colored balloons to animals like Kevin and Dug, every detail is carefully crafted, like anything you'd expect from Pixar. The Plague Dogs was well animated, but nothing more and nothing less.

4. Characters

Up
You can always expect fantastic characters from Pixar, and they don't let you down with Up. Not only is Carl a great character with issues, problems, and an eventual resolution, but the supporting cast is everything to expect and more. While the dogs can be annoying, they still are incomparable with the nice but boring characters of the Plague Dogs.

5. Music/Sound

Up
Michael Giacchino has always been my favorite Pixar composer, and Up was what really brought him to international glory. It's not hard to see why. The wistful theme that carries the famous (or perhaps infamous) "Married Life" sequence is all Giacchino, and the emotional support for the rest of the movie is his music.

6. Themes/Values

Up
To move on and accept loss is a tough thing to do. Pixar is telling us in Up that that's okay, it's tough for everyone... but there's so much more adventure in the world out there, so go out and explore it. It's a touching and relatable theme that beats out the tragic Plague Dogs pretty cleanly.

7. Structure/Pacing

Up
Up has a really good structure and pacing as well. I could have given it to this movie for the opening sequence alone, but the rest works just fine as well. From the character developments to the climax to the resolution, everything structurally in Up is well balanced.

Up - 6
The Plague Dogs - 1

Winner: #1 Up

@ahwell, I can't comment much about these last few matches because I haven't seen both movies in most of them.

The only match where I've seen both movies is #6 Mary and Max vs. #11 How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but it's been a while since I saw Mary and Max, and I don't remember much about it. But if I remember correctly, I think @Miss Vicky loves Mary and Max.
Yeah, it's in her favorite movies, so I'd assume so. It was a surprise for me and I'm glad I watched it, it may make my personal "final four."

Interesting concept.

Can't stand Kung Fu Panda, though I'm not overly fond of Toy Story. I'm also still bitter about those 3 points.

Aardman has some really good movies, but Were-rabbit is not one of their better ones, IMO, and doesn't even come close to Monster's Inc.

I don't like princess movies and Sleeping Beauty is one of the worst. Plus, you know, The Incredibles is just a whole lot of fun. No capes!

I watched a lot of The Simpsons growing up and some sporadically as an adult, but it just doesn't have that emotional impact that Grave of the Fireflies had. That said, I doubt I'll ever watch GOTF again, 'cause starving orphaned children isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

Winner: #5 Fantastic Mr. Fox
Can't agree or disagree with this match-up as I disliked both quite a bit.

Winner: #6 Mary and Max
I mean, I love me some Grinch and I voted for both films for the countdown, but there's just no comparison. Mary & Max is both uproariously entertaining and devastatingly emotional. Instant love. Waterworks every time.

No! No! So much no. How does one choose a lame little-girl-witch movie over the incredibly original, unrelentingly entertaining, and unabashedly moving genius that was Wreck-It Ralph?! Damn Miyazaki.

#8 Akira vs. #9 Coraline

Winner: #8 Akira
Akira felt bloated and annoying to me, but I don't care enough about Coraline to object much.

#1 Up vs. #16 The Plague Dogs

Winner: #1 Up
Yes, yes, absolutely yes. Plague Dogs is good, but I didn't love it. Up should've been number one on the countdown. Stupid Toy Story.

No! No! So much no. How does one choose a lame little-girl-witch movie over the incredibly original, unrelentingly entertaining, and unabashedly moving genius that was Wreck-It Ralph?! Damn Miyazaki. :tsk
Haha, knew you wouldn’t be pleased about this one, as it’s in your top ten... I don’t know, maybe a rewatch of both would change things, but a lot of the moments in Wreck-it Ralph, particularly annoying Vanellope, I just couldn’t stand. There were parts better than anything in Kiki, but Overall I guess I liked the lame-little-girl witch story just a bit more.

No! No! So much no. How does one choose a lame little-girl-witch movie over the incredibly original, unrelentingly entertaining, and unabashedly moving genius that was Wreck-It Ralph?! Damn Miyazaki. :tsk
Haha, knew you wouldn’t be pleased about this one, as it’s in your top ten... I don’t know, maybe a rewatch of both would change things, but a lot of the moments in Wreck-it Ralph, particularly annoying Vanellope, I just couldn’t stand. There were parts better than anything in Kiki, but Overall I guess I liked the lame-little-girl witch story just a bit more.

How’d you feel about the Wreck-it Ralph sequel, by the way?