Suspect's 2019 Movie Watch List

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jigsaw

I love the original Saw, it's one of the few movies that had my jaw on the floor from the ending. I had the ending to The Usual Suspects & The 6th Sense ruined for me before I saw them so I never really experience a shock ending and I think Saw was one of the first ones to really do that for me. The sequels gradually got worse, but I stuck around until the very end when the quality was surprisingly getting better. The franchise wasn't making as much money as before (7 films in total, once every year will draw some fatigue) so it ended full circle almost. 7 years after the 'final' film, we are back in the trap with Jigsaw.

5 people wake up chained to a wall. The chain slowly pulls them in and buzzsaws wait for them at the end. This is the beginning of their game. Sadistic killer Jigsaw has kidnapped them. Shady detective Halloran and his do-good partner Hunt are on the case. With the help of two forensic pathologists, Logan and Eleanor, they try to solve the case and wonder if it is the work of a copy-cat or the real John Kramer.

The beauty of the first Saw and to an extend the sequel, was the simplicity of the traps. A pit of needles, a bear-trap head gear, chained feet with a saw laying beside them. These traps were realistic. As the series went on they became increasingly unrealistic with elaborate devices that an engineer would dream of. Jigsaw falls more on the unrealistic side as the devices are designed to slice and dice in obtuse ways. One guy finds himself inside a giant blender type machine.

I look the other way when it comes to Jigsaw calculating what each person would do. I feel like this is possible if you study people enough. But I stop when he magically knows each person's deep dark secrets. Each person is their for a "sin" they committed and how Jigsaw knows their secrets is never explained. Then we have the twist. Each Saw film is famous for their trap deaths and the twists. So when they decide to essentially re-use old twists I was left with a sour taste in my mouth. On top of that we have more retcon action going on that doesn't jive with the rest of the series. Nothing that happens in the film comes as a surprise, which is a disappointment and the cast just isn't memorable enough to want to see them in future installments.

The Saw series was done to death and the revival is dead on arrival. Not a single sympathetic character, surprise reveal or gruesomely awesome death in the flick (save for maybe the final one). Jigsaw needs to be put to rest for good.

Suspect's Reviews

Solo: A Star Wars Story

I'm surprised how not terrible this film is after all the drama behind the scenes. Still, Solo is a film that proves how greedy Disney is, willing to churn out unneeded material just to earn a buck. Solo might be solid proof that people will not just spend their money blindly on name brand recognition alone, there has to be something tangible to go with it. This movie lacks that, it feels forced and despite me not hating it, is unwanted.

Han gets his name, meets Chewie and is introduced to the Millennium Falcon. This is his "origin" story. We see things we don't really need to see, which is a curse of prequels. Much like First Class, the writers for some reason feel the need to forcibly hit certain beats. We know Professor X is in a wheel chair, so we HAVE to show how he got in that right? Wrong, you can make it play out more gradually, make it more emotional. In Solo's case, it feels like it has to show us everything that we already know about this character, things that make his allure cool are shown here.

For example, do we really need to see The Kessel Run? Do we even need to see how he got his name? Spoiler Alert: He is alone in one scene and a guy calls him Solo. Wow. The first Star Wars film to not feature a Jedi, but it manages to still throw in a lightsaber because it's Star Wars, right?

Predictable story beats, generic but admittedly fun action sequences and winks and nods are enough to make the film....adequate. That's the biggest fault and biggest strength, oddly enough. This film is better than I thought it would be, but not as good as it should have been. Disney made a mistake in making this movie, they should have used this opportunity to expand the universe outside of what we already know. A chance to show new characters, completely separate from what we have already been exposed to and they fail.

The film would have benefited from a shorter run time, more focus and planning in pre-production. For a film with two fired directors, rumours of the lead actor needing acting classes and a scramble to find a new director and meet the release date, the film is just fine.

Still better than Last Jedi.

Welcome to the human race...
That review reads a little harsh (and vague) for a
, but whatever.

Solo is neck-and-neck with Attack of the Clones for my least favourite installment - would have to re-watch both to be sure but good Lord it's not good. It's like a damn Fantastic Beasts movie (though thankfully more tolerable than either of those movies, if not by much), and the idea that it is in any way an improvement on Last Jedi strikes me as absurd.

Crossroads

From the 80's Teen HoF

This movie looked the least interesting to me and I was surprised by how invested I was early on.

Eugene is a "prodigy" when it comes to playing the guitar. He's training for classical music, but he feels like the blues is more in his blood. He tracks down the legendary Willie Brown in the hopes of learning and recording the "lost" song from so long ago. Johnson has a different idea, help him break out of the nursing home and they will take a road trip down south. Along the way Johnson teaches Eugene how he's not black enough, not poor enough, too privileged and hasn't faced enough discrimination to be a true blues player. Are these life lessons or the rantings and ravings of an old man who might have taken advantage of a young boy to get him where he needs to go.

The duo play well off each other and when Jami Gurtz enters the picture, it takes the film to new directions. All 3 seem to have great chemistry and she acts at the catalyst for Eugene to enter his "blues" state.

The film takes an odd turn when it becomes a little bit more supernatural. The Devil is actually a character here and selling your soul isn't a metaphor, you're actually selling your soul. It's a bold move for a road film to all of a sudden change genres towards the end, but it works in my opinion.

I liked that they show him playing the guitar where most movies these days would try and hide it. It made it more believable.

That review reads a little harsh (and vague) for a
, but whatever.

Solo is neck-and-neck with Attack of the Clones for my least favourite installment - would have to re-watch both to be sure but good Lord it's not good. It's like a damn Fantastic Beasts movie (though thankfully more tolerable than either of those movies, if not by much), and the idea that it is in any way an improvement on Last Jedi strikes me as absurd.
I found myself to be really bored on my second Last Jedi viewing. There's little entertainment value to be had in that experience. Johnson was so hung up and subverting expectations he forget to make an entertaining film.

For Solo, I found it to be entertaining despite it's numerous shortcomings. So when I saw I had given Last Jedi a
I felt that I had to at least match it with Solo. As well as the film being better than my expectations. Granted, a
is indeed generous.

The Amityville Horror

From the Horror HoF.

There are 20 films based on the Amityville Horror, I've only seen this one and the remake.

I agree with what most people are saying, which is that Brolin’s descent into madness is terrific. He looks physically drained with each passing scene and you believe he can be a real danger to his family. Second, Kidder is gorgeous here and does the role well enough, but isn't utilized to her full potential. I feel like the film could have played her vulnerability a bit more within the house.

The classic child makes friends with a ghost never gets old. It's something that a parent would at first shrug off as a imaginary friend than realize the terror once the madness happens.

I didn't care for the evil reaching beyond the house. Specifically whenever the priest tried to interact with the family and the evil would stop him. I felt like it should have been more concentrated within the house. Since they never meet up, it ends up being a distraction.

A solid horror film that might feel a bit dated, but it still works.

I found myself to be really bored on my second Last Jedi viewing. There's little entertainment value to be had in that experience. Johnson was so hung up and subverting expectations he forget to make an entertaining film.

For Solo, I found it to be entertaining despite it's numerous shortcomings. So when I saw I had given Last Jedi a
I felt that I had to at least match it with Solo. As well as the film being better than my expectations. Granted, a
is indeed generous.
Having re-watched both films, I figure Last Jedi has the edge because it's got a strong enough sense of its thematics and characterisation to carry it through any rough patches. Solo, on the other hand, is so thoroughly inert on a dramatic level that it severely undercuts every other aspect, many of which weren't particularly strong in the first place and even then tend to hint at a better movie than whatever we ended up getting here. In any case, don't feel like you have to artificially inflate your rating of a film just because you gave the same rating to a film you think is worse.

Friend Request

I think I was a little harsh when I reviewed Unfriended, at the very least that film tried to create a horror film with a unique angle. With Friend Request, we get similar story of online horror where friends of the lead girl who did something wrong to another are now being killed. Can our heroine solve the mystery of the online witchery before all her friends die, maybe even before she dies? I for one didn't care, as these characters are offensively boring and the film doesn't offer any fresh take on the digital horror trend.

There was an internet trend in the 90's where a serene photo would pop up on your screen, or a calming video and when you least expected it, JUMP SCARE!!! The sound would blast high and the photo or video would turn demonic. This is the first jump scare in this film and the rest of them play out in the same fashion. Elements are there are a decent horror spin, but the laziness in everything hinders anyones attempts at enjoying it.

There was an opportunity to play up the lonely girl aspect a bit more here. Sprinkles of Ingrid Goes West would have really helped the core of the story, but that is all window dressing for what the filmmakers really want to do, which is cheap scares for teenagers. The film tries to update the horror genre for the digital age, but fails miserably. Maybe the internet and horror don't mix? I absolutely hated FearDotCom and the previously mentioned Unfriended tries hard. So I guess if you see an ad for a horror film mixed with the internet, steer clear!!!

Fun Fact: Mark Zuckerberg tried to get this film blocked from theatres but failed.

Regarding Internet-based horror movies, I figure I should recommend Netflix's Cam. I found it reasonably effective and at the very least it's not another movie where the Internet literally kills people.

Macabre

Had characters made smarter choices in this film, I think I would have rated it a bit higher. One bit in particular is when the sister escapes from imminent death, but fails to kill the fat man. Why are you injuring him and not finishing the job? Look at the situation you are in, you just witnessed him use a chainsaw on your friend. I did get a good laugh when the head fell out of the garbage bag though. Or how about standing there watching your friend yell at you to run away just before he has his neck snapped...and you stand there. Or when you have a weapon and you throw it at the guy instead of holding onto it.

Macabre is an exercise is bloody violence. The story is obviously of little concern, the filmmakers instead choose to try and get as much grotesque imagery on the screen as possible. The low-fi approach helps certain scenes, such as the table slaughter, but it hinders some others stripping away the suspense.

For the most part, I liked it. It's not something I'll ever watch again and will probably forget about it soon, but it works for what it's going for.

Upgrade

Leigh Whannell is famous for co-creating the Saw franchise with James Wan. Wan has taken off to direct billion dollar franchises, start new horror universes and is hailed as one of the best working directors today in the horror community. Whannell hasn't had such success. His role with Wan has mainly been as a co-writer, but he finally got the opportunity to direct with Insidious: Chapter 3. I'm sure he learned a few things from Wan, but now he has branched away from the horror genre with Upgrade and has given sci/fi action fans something a little new and fresh.

Grey and his wife Asha are on their way home from a meeting when their self driving car crashes. Multiple men with guns then surround them, shooting Asha in the chest and Grey in the neck, making him a paraplegic. Months later, no arrests have been made but Grey is given an opportunity to walk again from a young crazy inventor. "STEM" is implanted on Grey's spinal cord, giving him the ability to walk. He then takes it upon himself to solve his wife's murder and in the process learns he has been 'upgraded'.

Whannell creates a believable world in which technology is advanced enough to make such thoughts possible. Acting as writer and director, this is Whannell's baby and it showcases enough creativity to ignite enthusiasm for future projects. For instance, the fight scenes are more unique than what Hollywood is offering today. The camera tracks lead actor Logan Marshall-Green's movement, keeping him in the centre frame almost the entire time. This was apparently achieved by putting a reference point on him and having the camera track that spot, giving the fight scenes a robotic and calculated look. It looks great and adds something extra to the visuals of a typical revenge story.

A lot of attention to detail here, in the fight scenes you notice that "STEM" uses Grey's hands to move his head away from punches. STEM has no control over Grey's head, only the neck down. Small details like this add to the enjoyment of the flick. Believe it or not bits of the film reminded me of Inception, but going further into that would spoil parts of the film.

Upgrade is fun, it's cool, it's something a little bit different.

Pulse

Ghosts are entering our world. They're trying to escape the emptiness of the afterlife, but end up bringing with them so much despair that the living kill themselves.

Pulse tries to be more than a horror film as it deals with depression and suicide. Two heavy themes to be looking at through a genre that usually gets made fun of. Yet Pulse manages to look inside these two elements with a careful hand. It forgoes the "SCARY" and strives for something more, offering the viewer an elevated art form. It also dives into how much of a cultural impact technology is having on the social structure. We are all connected, but we've never felt more apart. This still rings true today with things like Facebook. I personally have hundreds of friends on facebook, but if I would delete the ones I never talk to, or don't even consider my friends, that number would be much smaller. Technology on the surface looks to be bringing us together, but it is actually tearing us apart.

That's all good, but this is a Horror HoF and I felt like Pulse had no pulse. Now, there were some genuine moments that are uneasy, specifically when we see images of people walking awkwardly towards us, or the two words Help Me over and over again with no clear visual representation of who or what is saying this. These elements work, but the film is almost 2 hours long and these moments are few and far between.

It doesn't help that Asian horror films are working on another level when it comes to acting. The over the top performances in a lot of these movies take me out of the moment. One scene in particular is when one character climbs over a couch to get away from the oncoming ghost, only to scream when she reaches over the top. This scene was only half affective. The ghost part was great, works really well, his response to the ghost wasn't. Also, some of the funniest rear view projection for driving I've ever seen. Those bus scenes are so laughably bad.

Some shoddy effects hurt the picture too and when dealing with technology as much as this film does, you can feel that it is dated. I recently watched Friend Request, which deals with witch craft and the internet and I mentioned how the digital horror scene doesn't really work for me. Pulse is one of the better attempts.

Hour of the Wolf

While I appreciate the artistic merit of the film, I couldn't help but be bored by a lot of it. This is my first Bergman film and despite my disappointment with it, I'm sure I'll watch more from the filmmaker in the future.

Less of a horror film in the classic sense and more of a insight into the continuing deprived mind of madness. Some really nice shots in the film and the black and white adds to the ambiance. Ultimately, I feel like I need to give this another chance at another time. I might chalk this one up to maybe simply not being in the mood.

It was interesting see Max Von Sydow as a younger man, I've only ever seen the man as his current old self.

Ginger Snaps

I think people need to see more Canadian Horror Cinema. Ginger Snaps is pure fun and it balances comedy with horror perfectly. I'd be lying if I didn't say that Mimi Rogers was my favourite performance in the film, her overbearing and innocent mother is hilarious.

Their relationship is the core aspect of the film and if you can't get behind their outsiders us against the world vibe, than the movie might not work for you. It's not necessarily a gore fest, it takes its time with things. Much like the recent fan favourite It Follows, Ginger Snaps dives into the realm of STD's. Ginger infects a boy through unprotected sex and he begins to show signs of a sexually transmitted disease. While this does take a back seat to the more prominent aspect of puberty, I'm glad it's there as a side bar for further exploration within the world.

I thought the performances were really good for a horror film about WEREWOLVES. The sisters have only each other, despite their desperate mother trying her best to connect with them on a daily basis. The make-up effects used are subtle at first and gradually we see Ginger's deterioration until a really well done transformation is showcased in the back of a van. The use of practical effects help with the realism.

A female empowered movie, Ginger Snaps has bite and I'm glad people are enjoying it.

Happy Death Day 2 U

What the heck is going on here? We have a sequel to Happy Death Day??? Even crazier is the fact that this movie is just as or possibly more fun than the original? Or how about this for crazy....my wife chose this movie over Alita: Battle Angel and They Shall Not Grow Old. Yet...EVEN CRAZIER MY FRIENDS....MY WIFE CRIED DURING THIS MOVIE. I REPEAT, SHE CRIED EMOTIONAL TEARS DURING THIS MOVIE!!!

Tree has successfully stopped her time looping slasher shenanigans and is happily together with Carter. When Carter's roommate experiences his own version of the deja vu, we are given a glimpse into the reasons why. A science experiment gone wrong, which triggers another time loop for Tree. So, we have to go through the same thing as the first one again? Boring!!!! How are they going to make it different this time? Well, they drop the horror and crank up the sci/fi for one.

Unexpectedly, Happy Death Day 2 U manages to go in a direction that is juuuuuust different enough to warrant this experience. Tree is no longer in the same dilemma. The killer from the first one is not the killer this time around. So while the first was a Groundhog Day Slasher film, this one is more like a Groundhog Day Back To the Future Part II film. The film doesn't seem concerned with the killer, it's a side plot which was surprisingly refreshing.

Jessica Rothe continues to have a great time and impresses me. Here she balances comedy, horror and yes...enough emotional drama to make a pregnant woman cry. I really do hope her career takes off because she has some talent. As mentioned, the film leans heavily into sci/fi and less into the horror. We still have a baby faced killer on our hands, but we are more focused on the why and the how relating to the time loop. The film also leans heavily into the comedy, especially with a montage of Tree killing herself over and over in creative and hysterical ways.

Happy Death Day 2 U is a sequel no one asked for, but it is one I am 100% not mad exists. I fully expect another one to come to have a weird trilogy that garners cult status. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and asks that the viewer just have a fun time and nothing more.

I've been waiting for someone to give a write up on this sequel, because you addressed the exact issue that came to mind after seeing the trailers. Why would I want to see the same thing again?....I might have to check this one out now.

I've still not seen the first one but for some reason I want to more, now that there is a sequel.
The sequel does not need to exist, but it is better than what I thought it was going to be.

I watched the original the other day and found it pretty decent, enough so that I wouldn't mind checking out the sequel (especially considering how much it decides to get weird with the premise rather than settle for a simple retread).