ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Great movies you have there. You show a good sensibility to aesthetics.

I have to re-watch The Mirror and I'll add Persona to my *to watch list*.

M;any thanks for this.
No worries. And thanks.

I've got some crackers lined up this week. Will love to know the Mofos thoughts as usual.

movies can be okay...
I didn't like The Edge of Seventeen as much as you did, and I do agree that its ending was its biggest weakness. They really dropped the ball there.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Another odd double bill last night:
The fall (2006)

This movie has featured quite frequently in lists of the most beautiful movies of all time. I can now see why. It is absolutely mind blowingly beautiful to watch it unfold. I have no idea what sort of timeframe it took Tarsem Singh to plan, develop and finalise this project but I read that it was filmed in 18 different countries, and I’m not surprised. The sweeping shots of sand dunes, mountains, temples, forests, islands and everything in between truly takes you to a magical mythical place which I’m sure is the intention. It’s a bout an injured, heartbroken stuntman and a girl in hospital recovering from a broken arm. Minor spoilers ahead:

The trouble is – It doesn’t really go anywhere. It feels like a living, breathing Ron Fricke documentary that just sort of fizzles out. There was one moment where I thought it might get interesting and we find out that the little girl is actually on her deathbed and is imagining everything as her real father comes to visit her by her bedside. But it’s far more linear than that and just seems to be a story of how 2 patients at a hospital are getting each other through tough times. (Unless I’ve completely been whooshed by a plot device somewhere along the line.) We see at the end that they are both still in recovery as they watch a moving picture film - and she probably idolises the stuntman in every film she’ll ever watch again. But it’s hardly a “pay off” or a resolution. I like ambiguous endings but this didn’t even provide an ending of any sort really. Inevitably, there will be accusations of “style over substance” as a consequence. Which in this case is quite fair.

That said, I can’t help but admire it for its’ ambitious nature, and I wouldn’t disagree with anybody that said it is one of the most visually striking movies of all time – and that alone is enough to ramp its’ score up a notch………..7/10

‘Wendy and Lucy’ (2008)

This is why I love movieforums.com . Somebody reviewed this on the “Rate the last movie you watched” thread, and being a fan of Michelle Williams I had to give it a go. She really delivers. The girl can act, and the best part of it is that she knows when not to overact. Her mannerisms in this film are excellent because she spends half the movie it chaotic bewilderment as she tries to find her lost dog.

Yes it’s a minimalistic movie. Yes it’s quiet, subdued and downbeat. But you can’t ignore that part of life. And this film showed a side of struggling that a lot of movies don’t. It was like a slice of a drifter’s life, 3 days in time that we peek into and then forget about. Who cares we don’t find out what happens to her, that’s not the point.

So thank you to whoever brought this to my attention last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus it had Bonnie Prince Billy in it. Which was just weird.

I’m off to check out more of Kelly Reichardt’s films, probably starting with’ Meek’s Cutoff’. Meanwhile I’d give this a 7.5/10

Really glad you liked Y Tu Mama Tambien. I just nominated it for the 12th Hall of Fame here.

That's the only one i've seen since my last comment, really want to see Wendy and Lucy though as i love Reichardt. Meek's Cutoff, Night Moves and Certain Women are all very good.

Really glad you liked Y Tu Mama Tambien. I just nominated it for the 12th Hall of Fame here.

That's the only one i've seen since my last comment, really want to see Wendy and Lucy though as i love Reichardt. Meek's Cutoff, Night Moves and Certain Women are all very good.
I need to get on this hall of fame stuff.

I didn't even look at the rating, just read the not so favorable review. I love The Cell, but wouldn't suggest any of Tarsem Singh's other work. Except maybe the music video for R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion.

'In the Mood for Love' (2000)

Beautiful Film. It felt like it was from the 1950s. Brilliantly played by the 2 leads and an absolutely terrific 3rd act. The absence of what are essentially the 2 villains is fabulous - as was the playing out of the adulterous actions by the protagonists that made you think you were watching something else in various scenes. 8/10

'The Squid and the Whale' (2005)

I had no idea it would be such a poignant, funny, sensitive and memorable film. The script was sharp the cast made it. A real insight into Noah Baumbach's young psyche I suppose. The humour was as dry as I can remember. I've seen a couple of Woody Allen films and in some parts it reminded me of them. Also loved the 'in movie movie' of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet".

Enjoyed it. 7.5/10

In The Mood... is a lovely film, gets the same rating from me.

'Irreversible' (2002)

Well that was a tough watch. There's not many movies I've watched where I've had to look away from the screen but I did during this. After the first 20 minutes I thought that it might be a gratuitously violent art film. But I was wrong. As it unfolds it becomes more and more tense and increasingly meaningful. Loved the nod to kubrick and the subtle hints at what's come before in terms of the philosophical side of time / art.

No doubt it will be compared to Memento as it came before, but this is a great film in itself. Even with Vincent Cassell's hilarious goof when he calls himself by his own name instead of the character's. The infamous scene will always get talked about but that shouldn't distract from what is a really interesting movie. I particularly liked the constant references to time, fate and how we think we can change what's going to happen but some things are written in the stars.

One of those movies that I won't be in a hurry to watch again soon, even though I really enjoyed it. 8/10

'Cinema Paradiso' (1990)

Ah what a beautiful film. It's another classic that I've shamefully never got round to seeing. Until now. I didn't see the Director's cut, just the theatrical Blu-Ray and it was really lovely.

It's another of those movies that aims to show that 'life jut doesn't plan out the way you think it will" etc but it is very well done with expert photography. Even the very first shot resembled a cinema screen with the curtains drawing.

Had a bit of dust in my eye at the end. 8.5/10

'Wadjda' (2012)

Heard good things about this. On first reflection I'm a bit disappointed. I commend the film-makers for getting something out there which must have had considerable hurdles, but we still have to look at it objectively, and it just didn't quite hit the mark for me. I think it would have worked better as a short as there was so much dialogue that just seemed a bit drawn out. It's a very interesting subject matter, I just feel certain elements were hammered home too much.

6.5/10

'Ikiru' (1952)

I'm wading through Kurosawa bit by bit when I get the chance. This was certainly quite different to most of his output that I've sen. But just as good. As ever he's a master of the camera. I loved the way he used slow moving shots to make scene s feel more poignant and that the focal character really was contemplating. Also liked the use of sounds to convey points - some almost felt like jump scares. I can imagine it was quit something to witness in 1952.

Overall it's a simple message about the bittersweet ironies in life, and how altruistic actions can really make a person feel like they're living life to the full. I think though that there's probably a deeper, more spiritual meaning at play here which I could probably only truly appreciate if I was exposed to Japanese culture / life.

8/10

Sadly I never got past the first few minutes of Irréversible when I went to watch it, that nightclub scene just started to give me a headache. Hopefully one day I'll get to experience it.

Ikiru is a gem imho.

Loving the varied viewing!

Sadly I never got past the first few minutes of Irréversible when I went to watch it, that nightclub scene just started to give me a headache. Hopefully one day I'll get to experience it.

Ikiru is a gem imho.

Loving the varied viewing!
Thanks. I strongly suggest you re-visit Irreversible. It has a nauseating first 20 minutes for sure but the film really pays off by the end.

Thanks. I strongly suggest you re-visit Irreversible. It has a nauseating first 20 minutes for sure but the film really pays off by the end.
I will do someday - at least next time I'll be ready for the sensory assault of both light and sound