Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

I would like to start posting some of my reviews on this site in order to share my opinion of films. So i`ll start posting with maybe 2 a day and if people respond in a positive manner , i`ll do more. I did these reviews for years so it will be copy & paste really lol.

Without questions , here we go.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Jurassic Park

Before I go ahead and watch The Lost World (and review it),i want to give my thoughts out to quite simply one of the most gifted and spectacular films ever to be thrown onto the screen...Jurassic Park.

Based on The Michael Crichton novel (god rest his soul) Jurassic Park is about A very old but wealthy entrepreneur who leases an island from the government and sets about a top secret project for years.As it nears completion,he invites a bunch of experts who some are Scientists , Kids and a lawyer who plans to threaten to shut the island down.They are blown away by the mere sight of dinosaurs...yes real life dinosaurs.But then as expected trouble starts to brew and soon it is a fight for survival.

I don't know why I loved this movie so much. Maybe it was the utter amazement when I first saw the Brachiosaurus eat from a tree. Or maybe it was my adrenaline rushing when two 12 year old were attacked by velociraptors. It might possibly be the chills that went down my spine when the T-Rex first made his terrifying roar. Whatever it was, it made me write this review.

Directed by Steven Speilberg quite possibly the greatest film director alive today , Jurassic Park was a film worth sitting down and watching right through to the end.There is nothing bad to say about this film apart from asking to see "More Dinosaurs".But i guess from beginning to end it gave us many dinosaurs to shout,scream and cry throughout.The acting was also remarkable and you can tell that some actors may have got their big break with this film.

The plot is very original and with special effects as great as this , it is clear that this film will always and I mean always have a close place in my love for films.As i said before the acting is tremendous and the star of the show has to go to someone who out their heart and soul into the entire picture,in fact I would go as far to say that this person carried the entire picture...The T Rex.I mean come on didn`t it deliver.Oh and Sam Neil also did impressive in the film too.

In Conclusion if anyone hasn`t seen Jurassic Park...you are a fool for not seeing it.Simply one of the greatest films out there.I highly and i mean highly recommend it.

Grades

100 % = A+

Loved the movie but not sure that I enjoyed the acting as much as you

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Lost World:Jurassic Park

After just watching The Lost World,i felt that i enjoyed this a lot more.Jurassic Park was a good memorable film.I am also wishing that The Lost World shares in that success.

After a small girl is attacked by a small group of compsognathus, Ian Malcolm discovers that there is a second island full of a variety of dinosaurs. Dr. John Hammond decides to send four adventure to monitor the dinosaur's lifestyle before INGEN move forward in controlling the island. Ian Malcolm doesn't like the idea and wants to contact the other three members, but before he can contact them, he finds out that his girlfriend, Sarah Harding is already on the island. Now, what was supposed to be a natural viewing of the incredible creatures in their habitats, has turned into a rescue mission with everyone's life at danger.

I don`t understand all the horrible reviews for this film.Sure not a classic film but a great film none of the less.It contains the same stuff JP did and it was still enjoyable viewing.It contained a new fresh cast which was good to see because I didn`t want to see the same surviving cast battle more dinosaurs it would feel like Part 2 but no with this new cast i felt that this was a proper well done sequel.

Spielberg directs another good hit once again but i feel he did some of the same that he did last time.The directing didn`t ruin it but i feel he just rationed some proposed shots of JP and threw them into Lost World. The story was of course well done.Instead of them going back there is Site B where the dinosaurs roam free and stuff.Got to give credit to Michael Crichton & David Koepp because without these two Lost World would just be another cheap lame sequel along with the rest of the crap we see.

Star of the film...Despite going through San Diego and having that great Trailer scene,I am NOT giving it to the T-Rex this time.This time I am throwing a bone to Jeff Goldblum who was the star of the show as he was suppose to be.However credit must be given to Pete Postlethwaite & Vince Vaughn. Those two shone as much did Goldblum.

In Conclusion LW may not be better than JP but it is still a very good film to watch.I also recommend this too.Oh and one more thing i have to credit to the score for The Lost World.I really enjoyed it more than Jurassic Park.Well just as Jurassic Park.

Grade

87% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince

Ah boy how i love my Harry Potter.The past 5 films have been almost top notch.The First film was very good and so was the second (although i didn`t like the plot,but it did tell Voldermort`s past). The Third film is my favourite and the fourth film was done really well.Fifth was too short but the ending was good fun to watch.The sixth....is really good.

In the sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft, and in both wizard and muggle worlds Lord Volemort and his henchmen are increasingly active. With vacancies to fill at Hogwarts, Professor Dumbledor persuades Horace Slughorn, back from retirement to become the potions teacher, while Professor Snape receives long awaited news. Harry Potter, together with Dumbledore, must face treacherous tasks to defeat his evil nemesis.

After watching it,i was throughly enjoyed.Everything was pretty much picture perfect,no problems,no glitches and no editing out.However two problems.1 is the burrow scene which wasn`t in the book and geeky fans are complaining.I don`t know what this will do to the 7th story but who knows.It was ok but i wish there was more duelling because in this film there wasn`t much of it.2nd Problem was the ending which i would like to call "The Unhappy Event".The book version of "The Unhappy Event" contained a massive duel and a funeral after.In the film there was just a short duel and them mourning over the dead body.It was powerful stuff but i felt like they could have done more.That is really all i have to say on problems.The rest was gold.The focus on the teens and evolving into manhood was very well done.You can tell where things will go in the 7th film.

Directing was better than 5.It wasn`t bad in 5 but i felt that all the magic in 5 was gone.David Yates kind of got the spark back in 6 but not enough.The most magical directing was either 1 or 3.Yates is a good director who has directed many good films but when he directed 5 i felt he was draining the magic out of Harry Potter.With this film he kind of got the magic back.

The story and writing was pretty much what i expected.The ending was of course bad,but Daivid Yates wants to "Not confuse viewers with another "Upcoming Battle"".But the writing was good and the story went well in pace.The person who writes the screenplay has wrote all 5 films and i felt this was maybe his 3rd best work.

Star Of The Film goes to Michael Gambon who plays Dumbledore.He got more airtime and he delivered better.There is one scene where you can tell he is gay.But he does deliver a serious performance.And the climax is also a great bit of acting for him.Alan Rickman i also have to give credit because he did well and of course Tom Felton,he was very good.

In Conclusion Half Blood Prince isn`t the best but it does deserve to bed Highest Grossing Film of the year.I might even see it again to help it out.

Grades

78% - B+ - A Very Good Film.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Taking Of Pelham 123

Travolta Vs Washington...At first i didn`t fancy seeing this film because it would be the same old action film where one film star is a goodie and the other is a baddie so i put it off.But seeing that it was a friday and i didn`t have anything else to do i decided to see it.And boy was i wrong about this film.

The story is Denzil Washington playing a MTA Dispatcher who is ongoing investigation on taking a bribe.He then is thrown in a scenario when a bunch of Crooks take control of a subway train and ask for 10 million dollars for the lives of the passengers.It then turns into one thrilling ride of chasing,shooting and suspence which leaves Denzil Washington and John Travolta fighting for their lives.

My thoughts on the film were as follows.I haven`t seen the original Taking Of Pelham 123 and i don`t plan to.After walking out of the cinema i was satisfied with the end result.It wasn`t that noisy as i thought it would be,but still loud.They do take it too far with the stunts a bit but it is pretty hardcore with what they do.Acting is also pretty decent to watch as well.

Directing was a bit dodgy in it.There was a lot of circles in the film where it feels like Denzil Washington is going round in circles.Tony Scott is a decent director and i think he did a pretty ok job with this film but there were some flaws with it.It was a bit shaky as predicted because a lot of directors like to use shaky shots these days.However Overall Tony Scott did do a good job directing this film.

Writing and story was ok but i felt that they could have improved a lot.You had a character that could have been developed way into the film,but really they cast him to the side.I am talking about the guy with the computer with the sexy girlfriend on it.As well as that the girlfriend could have also had more screentime.So that was disapointing.It was also focused on Denzil & John,they didn`t go into the other characters and tell a bit about their stories.

Star Of The Film has to go to John Travolta.I felt his performance was dead serious but i wish he would stop saying Mother****er because he kept saying that word ON AND ON AND ON AND ON.IT WAS LIKE YOU SHUT YOUR MOTHER****ING ASS UP MOTHER****ER.Denzil is also good in this and the guy from The Sopranos and the guy from Transformers(who plays the same role he played in Transformers although it is less comedic).
In conclusion its a good film so go see it if you like good action.

Grade

66% - B - A Good Film.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Defiance

Defiance wasn`t really a film i was expecting to be quite close to my heart...but boy it is and it is quite possibly one of my favourite films of 2009.Yeah it was out in January 2009.

After the Nazi invasion of Poland in September 1939, the Bielski brothers escape the slaughter and hide in the woods. Soon they are joined by many others, all running from the savagery being inflicted on the Jews. The eldest of the Bielski brother, Tuvia and Zus, disagree over what to do with the growing forest population. Tuvye believes that they must welcome anyone who wants to join them while Zus thinks they should be fighting the Germans. After a major falling out, Zus joins the local Russian partisans - with whom the Bielskis had already completed an informal truce - and Tuvia continues stays with their forest community.

After leaving the cinema these and i am not joking were my first words after the first film "I haven`t been impressed by a film since The Dark Knight" and i wasn`t joking.This film was heart-warming,powerful and informative at the same time.It tells a very sad but hopeful story about how 3 brothers are thrown together in a physical and emotional battle of survival.You can feel the emotion inside these characters and you want them to survive,you want them to overcome the odds and have a hopeful ending of their lives.This film really does make you learn and feel for these struggling characters in a race for a new happy life outside the darkness and bowels of Nazi Germany.

The directing is pretty good and i do like some of the sequences that Edward Zwick directed.He also does very good action sequences too as well as powerful emotional scenes with Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber.
Now of course this is based on a real story so this isn`t some fictional war film.The story is powerful and once again im saying emotional.The script is very well written with many clever words and the use of Judaism in the script.It never leaves the screen and that is a good thing.

Star of the film goes to Daniel Craig but Liev was close behind.I however wished Jamie Bell got a bigger part,he needs more screen time and i think he could have had a big opportunity in this film to get more time on the screen.

In Conclusion Defiance is one of the best war films i have seen in years.Its up their with all the great war films like The Great Escape and Saving Private Ryan.

76% - B+ - A Very Good Film

Good reviews.
I have to agree on Goldblum, he's just about awesome in anything.
But in Jurassic Park he probably plays my least favourite role of his, but all that changes with Lost World.

Thanks

I like Goldblum in both. Probably more in LW because he has starring billing. LW is just as good as the first. Its darker and a more exciting plot me thinks.

I`ll keep more reviews coming.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Matrix

I have only seen The Matrix once and that was when i was about 10 or 11 and i had seen Matrix 2 first. I found Matrix 1 to be boring and drone on. But now i am 16 and with much more useful knowledge i am going to review it properly.

So if you haven`t worked out the plot by now here it is in all its glory. Thomas A. Anderson is a man living two lives. By day he is an average computer programmer and by night a malevolent hacker known as Neo. Neo has always questioned his reality but the truth is far beyond his imagination. Neo finds himself targeted by the police when he is contacted by Morpheus, a legendary computer hacker branded a terrorist by the government. Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines which live off of their body heat and imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix. As a rebel against the machines, Neo must return to the Matrix and confront the agents, super powerful computer programs devoted to snuffing out Neo and the entire human rebellion.

So as story and plot goes it is really cyberpunky and futuristic like. When i was watching it i felt like The Matrix was a Cyberpunk film with everyone wearing shades and leather jackets. It felt really futuristic. Nevertheless the plot was really good and kept me really on the edge of my seat. The Characters each had a different personality and fit into the story well.

Acting. Really well done. Keanu Reeves does his "Hi I`m Keanu Reeves" acting by standing,staring and blinking and people just go up and admire him like artwork. Lawrence Fishburne is ace as Morpheus and one of the best bad asses i have seen on the screen in a while. The others are mediocre but the star of the show goes to Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith. I love Smith as a baddie. Just his personality and prescence on screen was a complete stand out from the crowd.

The action sequences were also original and impressive to watch,especially the final scene between Agent Smith and Neo. If you haven`t seen the sequels then they have more in the future. The slow motion stuff is also well shot and well documented into the film. The Special Effects gave the film a personality in my eyes like no other film did before.

Overall what can i say. I enjoyed The Matrix now and i will certainly get my teeth into Matrix 2 and Matrix 3 (Which i haven`t seen yet...except the ending)

Overall Rating - 67% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Matrix Reloaded

If you thought that The Matrix was good than The Matrix Reloaded was maybe twice as better. Better action,story and felt better to watch as a fan.

6 months after the events depicted in The Matrix, Neo has proved to be a good omen for the free humans, as more and more humans are being freed from the matrix and brought to Zion, the one and only stronghold of the Resistance. Neo himself has discovered his superpowers including super speed, ability to see the codes of the things inside the matrix and a certain degree of pre-cognition. But a nasty piece of news hits the human resistance: 250,000 machine sentinels are digging to Zion and would reach them in 72 hours. As Zion prepares for the ultimate war, Neo, Morpheus and Trinity are advised by the Oracle to find the Keymaker who would help them reach the Source. Meanwhile Neo's recurrent dreams depicting Trinity's death have got him worried and as if it was not enough, Agent Smith has somehow escaped deletion, has become more powerful than before and has fixed Neo as his next target.

The good things about this film are firstly the action sequences.Now that Neo is "The One" and has adjusted to his new abilities,his fighting is a lot more exciting to watch.This film contains possibly the best fight scene in cinematic history.Neo Vs The Smiths.Sure some of it is special effects and CGI but still it is a kick ass fight from start to finish.Also the story is a lot more exciting than One.The first film was more of setting the world up and exploring Neo`s destiny to become "The One".The second film focuses more on the surrounding characters and introduces new characters.
The bad things.Keanu Reeve`s acting still is quite wooden and i thought his performance in One had more emotion than this one.

However star of the film once again goes to Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith.I just love his character.So menacing and yet so amusing at times when he creates a new "Me".

So IN MY OPINION i think Matrix 2 is better than Matrix 1 because of story,action sequences and character development.Haven`t seen Matrix 3 so i will get that up tomorrow.

Overall Rating - 73% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Matrix Revolutions

So as I wrap up my shocking and controversial review of The Matrix Trilogy,i would just like to say i have no regrets over my last review and no regrets over this review.

Neo discovers that somehow he is able to use his powers into the real world too and that his mind can be freed from his body, as a result of which he finds himself trapped on a train station between the Matrix and the Real World. Meanwhile, Zion is preparing for the oncoming war with the machines with very little chances of survival. Neo's associates set out to free him from The Merovingian since it's believed that he is the One who will end the war between humans and the machines. What they do not know is that there is a threat from a third party, someone who has plans to destroy both the worlds.

So after just finishing the film off i can say that i enjoyed this as equally as Matrix 1. I say that because The story was wonderful.It wrapped up the story it introduced in 1 and 2 with a somewhat satisfying conclusion.Some may say the ending was anticlimatic.Ok it was rushed but not anticlimatic.We understood what happened and what apparantly was going to happen next.They could make a Matrix 4 but why bother.I think it ended pretty well off and needs not to continue.

The battle between The Machines And The Humans needs mentioning because i did enjoy the fight until maybe the bit when Commander Lock bit the bullet.That was when i got bored and wanted back to Neo/Trinity.Never the less it was great to see Zion again and see that long awaited fight we had been waiting for.

Speaking of long awaited fights,I was let down by Smith & Neo`s final battle.I wish they would quit with the effects (Which now look like a PS3 Cut Scene) and do more action hand to hand combat.That was a weekness of the film.Barely any Fighting besides the Last Fight at the end which was as I said a let down.

Star of the film i am once again throwing to Hugo Weaving.His screen time i must think was decreased in this film and yet he still is the shiny coin in the bag.

So overall a good conclusion to a great Science Fiction Trilogy.I aint going to say which is my favourite because of ....you know.But i enjoyed watching this trilogy and if i ever want to i will happily watch it again.

Overall Rating - 72% = B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Clash Of The Titans (2010)

Right ok so i really wasn`t thrilled to see this because i just wasn`t bothered really,i had other things to occupy myself with.But i eventually got bored and decided to go see Clash Of The Titans and well...it was better than i had epected.

"The Clash of the Titans" is set in the Greek city of Argos where a war is about to explode between man and the gods. Perseus (Sam Worthington) raised as a fisherman, but is actually a demi-god. Perseus is the son of Zeus (Liam Neeson) who is about to take on the gods after the death of his family. Zeus' brother Hades (Ralph Fiennes) was the one who killed his family, and Perseus wants to kill him. However, it is Perseus's destiny to rescue the city of Argos from the ruthless rage of Hades and his Kraken monster. With nothing to lose, Perseus leads a band of soldiers on a quest to defeat the Kraken. In doing this, Perseus will prevent Hades from overthrowing Zeus and in turn destroying mankind.

Now the opening was one of the worst ever.I was bored as much as when i went to see "Disaster Movie". Only the film managed to pick up paste and get into a comfortable swing.The plot moved in a steady paste and it got somewhat exciting although not too exciting.Some of the acting was wooden including Sam Worthington.He just didn`t try hard.He just threw on a skirt and kept saying "I`m A MAN".The other characters were just extra parts to keep the flow going i guess.

The CGI effects weren`t that brilliant.We had seen it all before and this film just had CGI sequence after CGI sequence after CGI sequence.It got old although i will say that the final scene with the Kraken was quite cool.Also i couldn`t help but crack up whenever "Argos" was mentioned.If you don`t like in The United Kingdom then you might not get it,but i couldn`t keep a straight face when "Argos" was mentioned.

Overall this film was littered with CGI sequences but was somewhat enjoyable in cases.Star of the film would have to be the person playing the skull creature thing riding the scorpions,he was cool.

Rating - 46% - C+

By "Paste", I am guessing you mean "Pace", right?

I too enjoyed the film to some extent, but it can't beat the original.
It tries too hard to be a CGI action film, ignoring the adventurous spirit of the first film.

This was definately a movie I did not enjoy. I never saw the first one to compare it to, but I think you definately hit on all the "bad" spots of the movie. Poor acting, poor plot, poor special effects, and to date, the worst 3D movie yet! It looked less like 3D and more like seeing double on the screen. I expected that in this age of CGI and design that they could make a phenomenal movie with all the stories of the Greek/Roman gods, but this one definately fell short for me!

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Planet Of The Apes (1968 Version)

I remember seeing the 2001 remake and don`t remember much of it...but i decided to check out the 1968 original to see how good this film really is.And boy i wasn`t dissapointed.

(From IMDB) - In the year 3978A.D. a spaceship with a crew of 4 crashes down on a distant planet. One of the crew members had died in space and the other 3 head out to explore the planet. They soon learn that the planet is much like their own. They then find the planet is inhabited by intelligent apes. One of the men is shot and killed and the others are taken to the apes' city. There, one undergoes brain surgery and is put into a state of living death. The other befriends some of the apes but is feared by most. After being put through ape trial he escapes with a female human native to the planet. After helping his ape friends escape a religious heresy trial he escapes out into the wilderness with the female. There he learns the planet might not be so distant after all...

Now this film is DARK...VERY DARK...WELL QUITE DARK.The story is very good and isvery enjoyable.The characters are splendid in this even Nova who never speaks in the film (don`t tell me if she does in the next one...and yes i know what happens in 2). Charlton Heston is great as Taylor as he is thrown into this unknown world in which he knows nothing about.He is separated from his two other friends and he is left to fight on his own.

I won`t spoil the ending for it is simply so surprising...i knew the ending but watching the film for the first time gave me more of a shock than i thought i would know.It leaves open some sort of a story for the sequel...which i will review tommorow or watch tommorow and post it later.

Overall i enjoyed the first film.Dark story,great characters,incredible action sequences and a surprising climax.

Rating - 81% - A-

This was definately a movie I did not enjoy. I never saw the first one to compare it to, but I think you definately hit on all the "bad" spots of the movie. Poor acting, poor plot, poor special effects, and to date, the worst 3D movie yet! It looked less like 3D and more like seeing double on the screen. I expected that in this age of CGI and design that they could make a phenomenal movie with all the stories of the Greek/Roman gods, but this one definately fell short for me!
agreed. Awful Remake to a Classic Adventure film.