Brawl In Cell Block 99

→ in
Tools    

Brawl In Cell Block 99

I decided to watch this tonight because I had some alone time. The wife just had surgery today and was home all medicated and dozing. I was going to play an online poker tourney but opted for this instead. Damn!!! - am I glad I did. I have always loved Vaughn and my favorite film of his (before this) was Made.

He has definitely had a few bombs but when he is on point he really shines. After watching the trailer the other day I knew I had to see this.

The title of the movie and the simplistic, brutal, methodical way he kicks the **** out of his wife’s car is beautiful.

It is difficult to go into too much detail without giving away a whole lot, but the tempo works perfect and the violence is well filmed and acted out. Much of the last 30 minutes or so of the film is farfetched, but not so much that it seems unrealistic. Mash up the best parts of Taken, Payback, and The Kingpin from Daredevil (Netflix) and you get an idea of how things go – just better.

Great flick, would definitely recommend.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
All the best to your wife and wishes for a speedy recovery.

I really enjoyed this, and to tell you the truth, I didnt even recognise Vaughn. Good to see him getting away from bromance comedy type roles for a change.

Coulda sworn I posted about this somewhere (maybe one of the tabs?), but yeah, very good movie. Weirdly compelling brutality throughout. It has a vibe all its own that makes me inherently interested in whatever the director does next.

You ready? You look ready.
Coulda sworn I posted about this somewhere (maybe one of the tabs?), but yeah, very good movie. Weirdly compelling brutality throughout. It has a vibe all its own that makes me inherently interested in whatever the director does next.
Yeah, I blindly bought Dragged Across Concrete because of how good this movie was and I wasn't disappointed.

And I will add that Brawl In Cell Block 99 gave me nightmares. It was that good.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I guess this thread needs a differing opinion I liked Bone Tomahawk but every other film by Zahler has been disappointing (this thread's topic perhaps the most). In my opinion, it's just another purposefully bad B-movie tribute.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
My Condolencess on your wife, 7thson. I know this is an old thread, but still hope she pulled through okay.

I saw the movie and liked it quite a bit. Some say it's a grindhouse movie tribute online, or a B movie tribute, but it didn't feel that way to me. It just seemed like a regular crime drama/thriller to me. Or at least I thought B movies have some sort of implied cheese to them.

Also curious, in the American prison system I am guessing it's not normal to have those electrical devices attached to maximum security prisoners, out of curiosity?