Ahwell's Lists and Projects

→ in
Tools    

While I agree that Dr. Strangelove should win on each of the individual criteria, I still like Sherlock, Jr. more, and I would have chosen Sherlock, Jr. to win this match. (I guess that just goes to show that a movie is more than just the sum of its parts.)
Agreed on that last part. To be honest, I've already chosen my winner before I start writing the match ups, these "break-downs" are more of a way to write about the movies without necessarily doing a "review."

You picked the wrong winner. But I hate Strangelove so...
Yeah, knew you wouldn’t like the outcome since your comments in Comedy II....

#8 Arsenic and Old Lace vs. #9 Harvey

1. Originality

Harvey
A lot of Harvey drags, but a lot of it is adorable too, and that is due to the seven foot large imaginary bunny that lies at the heart of the story. The movie is so creative with the way we interact with and come to appreciate this character.

2. Script/Screenplay

Arsenic and Old Lace
The script to Arsenic and Old Lace is fast and fun, and we get winks and bits of dark humor along the way.

3. Humor

Arsenic and Old Lace
Harvey is sweeter, but Arsenic and Old Lace is much funnier. I think I laughed out loud quite a bit, which is impressive for a comedy that old. Well done from the script writers, and from the fine performances throughout.

4. Characters

Arsenic and Old Lace
I choose Arsenic and Old Lace for a very simple reason... I can't stand James Stewart's character in Harvey. He's annoying, can never make up his mind, and just gets into a lot of trouble for himself and others. Arsenic has a fun cast of entertaining and likable (enough) characters.

5. Music/Sound

Arsenic and Old Lace
None of these film scores are fantastic, but Arsenic has a sweet and memorable theme, and for that it inched its way above Harvey.

6. Themes/Values

Harvey
“In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.” A beautiful quote that also sums up my thoughts on the themes of this movie.

7. Structure/Pacing

Harvey
Arsenic and Old Lace does seem to be trying to cram as much story into its running time as it can. It's not a bad thing, but I think Harvey does it better with its often meandering, sometimes melancholy pacing.

Arsenic and Old Lace - 4
Harvey - 3

Winner: #8 Arsenic and Old Lace

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#8 Arsenic and Old Lace vs. #9 Harvey

Arsenic and Old Lace - 4
Harvey - 3

Winner: #8 Arsenic and Old Lace

I love both of these movies, but this is an easy choice. Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my all-time favorite movies, so it's an easy winner for me.

I agree about Arsenic and Old Lace. In fact I had it at #4 on our comedy HOF from the '30s-'40s. Cary Grant had a patented screwball role, and Peter Lorre's vintage portrayal was one of the best examples of his comic gruesomeness.

IMO Harvey was a whimsical, nutty but gentle type film in which the singular gag wore a little thin by the 3rd act. It's a unique picture whose theme was more akin to the novelty of the Daniel Boone coon skin hat from the '50s.

I've watched "Arsenic" many times; whereas with Harvey, twice is enough.

~Doc

Happy New Years everyone!

I watched a total of 274 movies in 2019, averaging about 5 a week.... whew, that’s kind of a lot. Definitely the most movies I’ve ever watched in one year.

I’ll be posting my top ten of the decade as soon as I can (as well as some random stats about my movie watching this year).

I finished out at 191. Not horrible given I don't have all that much free time
Yeah, it truly amazes me that some people I’m following on Letterboxd watched 400+ movies in 2019.

I watched a total of 274 movies in 2019, averaging about 5 a week.... whew, that’s kind of a lot. Definitely the most movies I’ve ever watched in one year.

I’ll be posting my top ten of the decade as soon as I can (as well as some random stats about my movie watching this year).
That's a lot, congratulations! I really should log what I watch, as I never know for sure.
I look forward to your top 10 of the decade.

That's a lot, congratulations! I really should log what I watch, as I never know for sure.
I look forward to your top 10 of the decade.
Oh yeah, almost forgot about that. It should be up soon I think.

The trick is not minding
Just did an official count. I finished at 198 first time viewings. Obviously doesn’t count repeats. I started logging films in 2015 to help me keep track.
Here’s hoping I break 200 in 2020!

Just did an official count. I finished at 198 first time viewings. Obviously doesn’t count repeats. I started logging films in 2015 to help me keep track.
I did count repeat viewings, but the vast vast majority this year was new. In fact I only started logging this year, so I basically scrapped everything I’d seen and started fresh. So I still haven’t “seen” films I’ve seen.

The trick is not minding
I did count repeat viewings, but the vast vast majority this year was new. In fact I only started logging this year, so I basically scrapped everything I’d seen and started fresh. So I still haven’t “seen” films I’ve seen.
I did the same thing about 12 years ago. Started with a clean slate and rewatched everything. Some films deserve a rewatch anyways. Especially films I had first watched between ‘96-‘98 when I first started out. Films like Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Midnight Cowboy and many others that I hadn’t seen in the decade since.

I'm guessing I watched 300+ movies in 2019. I usually watch a movie per night, but sometimes it's just too late to watch one. But what did I watch??? I don't know for sure

The trick is not minding
I'm guessing I watched 300+ movies in 2019. I usually watch a movie per night, but sometimes it's just too late to watch one. But what did I watch??? I don't know for sure
Madness and chaos!

You should join Letterboxd, I’d follow you. I started there only a month ago and I’m already pretty obsessed. It’s not as good as MoFo of course but I’ve discovered a junk ton of movies through it, and really useful for sorting what I’ve seen.

10. Toy Story 4 (2019)

An absolutely incredible close to the series. 24 years after the original Toy Story, it's crazy that Pixar can put the same amount of love and warmth into this franchise. The humor is spot on, and the voice acting is great too. Woody is much more the star of this one than Toy Story 3. It's his movie, really, and it brings his story to a close. Randy's score is great as usual, and the animation is eye popping.

A more than satisfying conclusion to the series.

Rating:
+