The girl on the train

→ in
Tools    

The following write up has spoilers

For starters---the movie should have been named 'The woman on the train' instead of 'girl' , for Emily Blunt is obviously not shown young enough to be called a 'girl' . But the moviemakers probably wanted the movie to appeal to a younger audience .

Emily plays a woman who thinks that her marriage has collapsed because of her drunkenness and the blackouts that occur because of it , and also because she can't conceive a child . She sometimes stalks her ex husband and his new wife and child , taking the baby in her arms one day until his wife forces her to lay it down . Emily no longer goes to her job and her obsession is to travel to and fro by the same train everyday . The train passes by her ex husband's neighbourhood and she can see his family . Also she develops an addiction to watch a beautiful blonde girl and her husband romancing on their house's balcony many times while watching through the train .

But one day Emily sees the girl kissing another man on the same balcony and she is deeply disturbed by the sight of the perfect romantic marriage breaking down . After a drinking binge , she decides to go and confront the girl and call her a whore , but has a blackout as she goes to confront and does not remember what she saw . Later she comes to know that the girl has disappeared....

So what could have happened ? Did the girl just run off with her new lover ? Or was she murdered---but by whom ? The psychiatrist when she was regularly visiting and on whom she was trying to hit on ? Her husband in a fit of jealousy ? Or did Emily herself murder her her but did not remember later due to her blackout ? Watch the movie for the answers .

The movie rests on the acting capabilities of Emily Blunt , and she carries it off with aplomb . Her acting of a person who is unstable due to heavy drinking is perfect ; the voice and expressions and her own anguish at her condition has been thoroughly well acted out . Other actors act well too . Photography is okay and background music is appropriate for the situations .

But even though I have not read the novel on which the movie is based , I could sense that it is not as great as the novel . Of course , except on one point the novel is copied faithfully in the movie according to what I heard . But I was not fully convinced when the mystery was solved . The person who did what he/she did on a reason that does not fully qualify as a valid reason for doing that ; many people would let things solve themselves out if confronted with the same situation . The situation was not extreme enough to warrant taking the step that person did . Or so I thought , for others who see the movie might disagree....

Verdict ---I would give it three stars .

Will polish it into a proper review later .

I found Emily Blunts performance in Sicario to be lacking. I think she is good in roles like she had in Devil Wears Prada, but I don't think she can command a lead in such a heavy film. for that reason I haven't made much of an effort to catch this film.

i found the film pretty muddled concerning the plot but certainly entertaining, i lost a bit on the pacing or how the story is told its a bit of a mess how we are shown emily s memories in the film, we all are made to think its her problem instead of others something wasn t right in the story telling but the premise of the film is engaging because i simply like this genre of movies, it reminds me of psychological thrillers of the 80s and 90s.

I havent seen the movie so cant really comment,and havent read the OP cos of the spoilers- but i have read the book,and i can see the movie being lackluster,as I atleast knew what was going to happen all along and they have made it seem,promoted it as if,there was a huge twist or suprising ending-which there wasnt..I would have found it alot more enjoyable if it hadnt been for that

I found Emily Blunts performance in Sicario to be lacking. I think she is good in roles like she had in Devil Wears Prada, but I don't think she can command a lead in such a heavy film. for that reason I haven't made much of an effort to catch this film.
again havent actually seen this movie..but think Emily Blunt is brilliant in not doing too much in a part,she was a very subtle way sometimes which is what i like about her.I thought she was great in Sicario so obviously we differ

again havent actually seen this movie..but think Emily Blunt is brilliant in not doing too much in a part,she was a very subtle way sometimes which is what i like about her.I thought she was great in Sicario so obviously we differ
I do think she's rather undervalued, often giving the best performance in films that don't quite come together. Girl on a Train is perhaps the most obvious example of that I'd say, the film as a whole is a pretty standard thriller but her performance is one of the best portrayals of alcoholism I'v seen.