Optimus Reviews

→ in
Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks Dani.

I thought the cast were very dull. I couldn't of cared less about any of them.
Yeah they're not very nice people, Opt. I just got into the action - same as you. I do like the end scene, though. That absolute Oh No!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Heyo. I can't believe I've not spent more time under the review posts. I'm just now seeing this thread. GREAT top post!! Clean, well formatted, and easy to see the top points without having to scroll page after page to guess what might or might not be included. I'm really digging the thread at first glance.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Justice League
Directed By: Josh Whedon

The Story
Following on from the very successful Wonder Woman DC hoped to continue it's success with what should of been the big daddy of them all. Forget Marvel and it's Avengers because DC was offering Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Cyborg, The Flash, and Wonder Woman all in one movie and boy it........ didn't deliver. Justice League is fun, it's entertaing, and it does have some pretty cool action, but it kind of falls flat with it's thrown together story and it's awful looking CGI. Don't get me wrong it's not as bad as some critics make it out to be, but it could of been so much more. Still tho i enjoyed it, but I am a big DC fan.

Movie Trivia;

Director Zack Snyder and his wife producer Deborah Snyder stepped down from finishing the film, after the suicide of Zack Snyder's daughter in March 2017. They tried to remain on the film as a way to work through the difficulty, but decided after two months to step away from the project to spend time with their family. Joss Whedon, who had signed on for Batgirl, took over as director, managing additional scenes that need to be included in the final cut. Warner Brothers have stated that Joss would direct and write in the same style as Zack so there won't be any tonal shifts or obvious changes in style. However, Joss Whedon controversially fired Zack Snyder's composer Junkie XL, and replaced him with Danny Elfman.

Extensive reshoots in London and Los Angeles in mid-2017 added a cost of approximately $25 million to the film's budget. Henry Cavill worked on the reshoots and Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) at the same time. He had to sport a mustache for his role in the latter project, however Paramount refused to let the actor shave it off for the time he played Superman again. This meant that Cavill's facial hair had to be digitally removed in post-production.

When the film got shown in Iceland (which uses subtitles rather than dub for films with non-Icelandic languages), Jason Momoa's pronunciation of his single line of Icelandic was deemed so unintelligible that it had to be subtitled into Icelandic (often resulting in a big laugh by the audience).

One of the Gotham scenes during the prologue has a building with "Janus" written on it. This refers to Janus Cosmetics, run by Batman's enemy the crime boss Black Mask. Black Mask is set to appear in Gotham City Sirens.

In earlier drafts of the script, Victor Stone was supposed to have suffered his severe injuries as a result of Doomsday's rampage through Metropolis in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016).

The Cast
I thought the cast were great. It was great to see Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg make there debut, and Jason Mamoa, Ezra Miller, and Ray Fisher all did a very good job. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill returned to their roles as Batman and Superman which I have no complaints about either, I think both of them play their characters very well and both look the part. The stand out performance of the movie goes to Gal Gadot tho. She's fantastic as Wonder Woman and seems to steal the show every time she's on screen. She's just a badass and so damn hot.

Movie Highlight
My highlight is the movies action. Yeah the movie has it's problems, but it's still very fun and it was cool to see The Justice League form and start kicking some ass. What I will say about DC is that they messed up with Steppenwolf as the villain, because a better villain could of helped this movie alot more.

My Verdict
Overall Justice League isn't a bad movie, it just didn't reach the bar that Wonder Woman set. It does have big problems, but it's also entertaining and pretty cool. I would stick it somewhere in the middle of the pack in regards to other superhero movies. And I certainly wouldn't say it's as bad as critics made it out to be.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Don't get me wrong it's not as bad as some critics make it out to be, but it could of been so much more. Still tho i enjoyed it, but I am a big DC fan.[/size][/font]

yes it is. It's horrendus.I walked out.

For me this was a crapfest.I only read your post up to that point, and haven read any other posts in reply but yeah mate, i;m really sorry, i thought it was terrible. I willread the rest tomorrow to see if it makes sense as a PoV and let you know but for now i will sleep onit

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Heyo. I can't believe I've not spent more time under the review posts. I'm just now seeing this thread. GREAT top post!! Clean, well formatted, and easy to see the top points without having to scroll page after page to guess what might or might not be included. I'm really digging the thread at first glance.
Sorry I have only just noticed this post but thank you. Hopefully I'll get this thread a little more active again.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
The Shawshank Redemption
Directed By: Frank Darabont

The Story
The Shawshank Redemption is a strong, wonderful, and uplifting movie about hope, friendship, and heart. It's such a powerful movie that deals with so many tough topics like rape and suicide, but also shows that hope and friendship can get you through some of the most difficult times of our lives ("fear can hold you prisoner but hope can set you free."). This movie truly is a masterpiece of cinema, and one hell of a emotional experience that I'm glad i gotten around to watching.

Movie Trivia;

Andy and Red's opening chat in the prison yard, in which Red is throwing a baseball, took nine hours to shoot. Morgan Freeman threw the baseball for the entire nine hours without a word of complaint. He showed up for work the next day with his arm in a sling.

Morgan Freeman's favorite film of his own.

Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, Paul Newman, and Robert Redford were all considered for the part of Red. In the original novel, Red is a middle-aged Irishman with graying red hair. However, Frank Darabont always had Morgan Freeman in mind for the role, because of his authoritative presence, demeanor and deep voice. Darabont alluded to the casting choice, by having Red jokingly reply to Andy's inquiry about his nickname with the line, "Maybe it's because I'm Irish."

When Andy goes to the library to begin work as Brooks' assistant and Brooks' crow, Jake, is squawking, Tim Robbins had to time his line, "Hey, Jake. Where's Brooks?" so that the crow wouldn't squawk over him, since the bird could not be trained to squawk on cue. Robbins was able to adapt to this and time his line perfectly by learning the bird's squawking patterns, for which Writer and Director Frank Darabont praised him. Robbins' improvisation is noticeable, as he watches the bird carefully while approaching it, waiting for it to squawk, and doesn't begin his line until after it does so.

Although a very modest hit in theaters, it became one of the highest-grossing video rentals of all time.

The mugshots of a young-looking Morgan Freeman that are attached to his parole papers are actually pictures of Morgan's younger son, Alfonso Freeman. Alfonso also had a cameo in the movie as a con shouting, "Fresh fish! Fresh fish today! We're reeling 'em in!" (bottom left). A year after The Shawshank Redemption (1994), he appeared as a Fingerprint Technician in another Morgan Freeman movie, Se7en (1995).

The Cast
Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins are fantastic. As are the whole line-up of cast who all deliver some outstanding performances. To be honest there is nothing to fault at all in this movie, it's perfect in every way and the cast only showcase that throughout the movie.

Movie Highlight
My movie highlight is the last 20 minutes of the movie. I absolutely loved seeing Red (Morgan Freeman) finally get released from prison and see that hope and friendship can get you through anything. I thought the whole ending was powerful, it was emotional, and of course it was a happy ending. I thought the way the movie ended was just beautiful and it really was the icing on the cake to such an amazing movie.

My Verdict
This movie was fantastic. And I can't believe it's took me all these years to finally watch it. In some ways tho I'm actually glad I did leave it this long, because i think i have appreciated it alot more than I may have done watching it at a younger age. Plus it's always great to watch something so different to all the other rubbish around today. They really don't make movies like these anymore.

Yea it's hard to believe that was your first time seeing Shawshank, but then I don't watch all of the movies I want to see most right away either.

I imagine myself giving that same rating to Justice League. But I DID give a 5 to Shawshank. Amazing movie. But believe it or not, I find IT to be the best Stephen King movie.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""

Arrival
Directed By: Denis Villeneuve

The Story
12 Alien spaceships have arrived all over our blue marble planet for some unknown reason... sound familiar?. Don’t worry Will Smith isn’t about this time around. Who is around this time is Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Forrest Whittaker in this fascinating, heartfelt, and beautiful movie. Have these spaceships arrived with peaceful or threatening intentions?. Well Arrival takes a very interesting route compared to some of the other Alien movies out there, and it’s incredibly fascinating.

Movie Trivia;
Director Denis Villeneuve and screenwriter Eric Heisserer created a fully functioning, visual, alien language. Heisserer, Villeneuve and their teams managed to create a "logogram bible," which included over a hundred different completely operative logo-grams, seventy-one of which are actually featured in the movie.

The inky circular alien language was created by Montreal artist Martine Bertrand. It is also the artist's son who created Hannah's drawings.

While the shape of the ship was decided early on, Denis Villeneuve had great difficulty imagining an interior that would allow humans to easily navigate through such a steep and vertical design. The later decision to turn gravity sideways offered an obvious and convenient solution.

In writing the story, Ted Chiang had in mind the following quote of the great physicist Albert Einstein: "The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

Ted Chiang, who wrote the story the film is based upon, approved the film, saying, "I think it's that rarest of the rare in that it's both a good movie and a good adaptation... And when you consider the track record of adaptations of written science fiction, that's almost literally a miracle."

The Cast
Amy Adams performance in this movie was incredible. She gave this movie so much heart, and meaning that she completely stole the show. I think this is my favourite movie of hers and Arrival really showcases her acting ability. Jeremy Renner was a little low key but him and Forrest Whittaker do a pretty solid job as the supporting cast.

Movie Highlight
Without spoiling to much about Arrival my highlight has to be the final act. The last 20 minutes or so are a real tear jerker. And it’s all very cleverly executed. I’ll leave it their as I don’t want to spoil to much.

My Verdict
Overall Arrival is my favourite Alien movie I have seen. I’m a big fan of this genre, and I have watched a long list of Alien/space movies over the past few month’s and this is hands down my favourite. It’s a beautiful movie with some fantastic soundtracks. It has a great cast, a great story, and it’s a very fascinating and interesting movie that really grips you from the get go. Absolutely flawless movie.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Sunshine
Directed By:

The Story
Sunshine is such a bizarre movie that I really struggled to connect with it. The story itself is just so ridiculous that everything else that follows just feels like overkill. I couldn’t quite understand the movie’s identity. Disaster movie, Survival movie, Sci Fi or even slasher?. Sunshine just didn’t seem to know which route to take, and it kind of felt very messy at times.

Movie Trivia;

Danny Boyle was so impressed with Michelle Yeoh's audition that he told her that she could choose any part in the script and he would give it to her - he was even prepared to change the gender if she had chosen a male character. She ultimately decided on Corazon, the biologist.

Danny Boyle found working on a sci-fi project so exhausting, he vowed never to make another one again.

One of the biggest challenges facing the visual effects team was to create the sun itself. This was done with CGI and turned out to be the longest CGI sequencing ever done by a London production house.

The plot does not revolve around the sun dying in the normal sense: this is not due for around five billion years based on our understanding of nuclear fusion. It has instead been "infected" with a "Q-ball" - a supersymmetric nucleus, left over from the big bang - that is disrupting the normal matter. This is a theoretical particle that scientists at CERN are currently trying to confirm, and was one of the many contributions of the science advisor. The film's bomb is meant to blast the Q-ball to its constituent parts which will then naturally decay, allowing the sun to return to normal.

The distinctive golden color of the space suits was intended to make them memorable to sci-fi fans. The character "Kenny" from South Park (1997) was used as a design reference for the funnel-shaped helmet. A small number of suits and helmets were built as wearable costumes, so the actors could experience the claustrophobia and react appropriately.

The Cast
I felt absolutely nothing towards the characters in this movie. No emotion, no bond, no chemistry. Everything just felt dull and very wooden. On paper the cast are great, but this movie doesn’t do any of them any justice at all. Honestly, their wasn’t one single character that i liked. And with a movie like this with so much at stake ...that’s a very big problem.

Movie Highlight
At times Sunshine looks amazing. Their are some visually stunning scenes and some very cool ideas (mostly regarding the ship). Sunshine also has some great sound and musical moments. Especially towards the end of the movie when Adagio in D Minor begins to play. That piece of music makes that scenes so so so much better than it should of been. Very powerful piece of music.

My Verdict
Overall I didn’t enjoy Sunshine. It left quite an uneasy feeling in me that I can’t quite explain. It was just a very strange and unusual movie that I haven’t experienced before. I did like the musical moments and some of the visual stuff, but that’s about it. I think this movie is kind of like marmite. If you like it then like it, but if you hate then you hate it. And judging by a lot of reviews their isn’t much of a in between.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Aliens
Directed By: James Cameron

The Story
The story picks straight back up after the events of Alien. It wastes no time in messing around with things or changing anything..... which was a very smart movie from Cameron. And although Aliens heads down the action route rather than the horror route that Ridley Scott took. I still feel as tho both movies are very similar and they don’t feel all that different, which is pretty damn cool.

Movie Trivia;
Like most films, the movie wasn't shot in sequence. But for added realism, James Cameron filmed the scene where we first meet the Colonial Marines (one of the earliest scenes) last. This was so that the camaraderie of the Marines was realistic because the actors had spent months filming together.

Lance Henriksen had privately pledged to quit acting if this part didn't work out for him after years of journeyman roles. It proved to be one of his most successful films.

In both the standard and special edition versions, the fifteen minute countdown at the end of the film is indeed fifteen minutes.
The knife trick scene was originally going to be done by Bishop alone. According to Lance Henriksen, he suggested to James Cameron to have Hudson's hand put on top of his, to which Cameron agreed as Henriksen felt the scene needed something extra. This change was discussed with almost everyone, except Bill Paxton. Henriksen also remembers a long night of drinking after shooting this scene followed by a reshoot of the scene, as it looked too fake when they sped the footage up. He accidentally caught Paxton's pinky with the knife on this reshoot.

Sigourney Weaver had several notes for James Cameron after having read the script. Although he could not grant all her requests, Cameron praised her for never taking issue with the direction he wanted to take with the story. Her notes were all about how she felt Ripley should respond to her situations, which he was happy to accommodate.

The Cast
The cast are absolutely brilliant. And the Marine Corps are my favourite thing about Aliens. Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez and the rest of them are just badass, and they bring so much energy and fun to the movie. I also loved Ripley and Bishop too. To be honest their isn’t a bad character in this movie, the whole cast is just perfect.

Movie Highlight
My movie highlight has to be the action. Watching the Marine Corps kick ass with all their toys was excellent viewing. And the end sequence with Ripley fighting the queen Alien was pretty damn cool. James Cameron is a master at delivering action sequences and Aliens is a prime example of his work.

My Verdict
Aliens is and always will be in my top ten favourite movies. It’s one of the greatest action movies ever made, and is the greatest sequel in movie history. I even rate it higher than the Original Alien. Honestly, it’s going to have to take something damn special to ever budge this out my top 10. It’s a flawless movie.

The trick is not minding
Nice review and nice little known facts sprinkled in for flavor.

I actually prefer this over the first one, although it is still a good film.

I remember seeing Aliens in the theater and thought it was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Zack Snyder’s Justice League
Directed By: Zack Snyder

The Story
I love the DC universe. I love how dark and gritty Zack Snyder makes his movies. I love his eye for action, and his eye for visual detail. To be honest, he’s one of my favourite directors out there. Dawn Of The Dead, 300, Watchmen, and his other DC work are some of my favourite movies. I just love how his movies look and feel, and his work is different to other directors out there. So as you can imagine I was over the moon when it was revealed that his version of Justice League was finally getting released. Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the 2017 Justice League too. But I did feel as tho the story was missing parts. You could tell the movie had been chopped to pieces and it felt very rushed and thrown together. This version however fits all the pieces back together and makes the story feel whole. And it’s pretty damn impressive.

Movie Trivia;
Dedicated in memory of Zack Snyder's daughter Autumn Snyder (1996 - 2017). Her death is the reason Snyder stepped down from the production of Justice League (2017).

According to Zack Snyder, this version contains no shots filmed by Joss Whedon from the theatrical version of Justice League.

Despite directorial credits, Zack Snyder has never actually seen the theatrical cut of Justice League (2017). Reportedly, his wife Deborah Snyder and his good friend and executive producer Christopher Nolan advised him to never see it, as it would "break his heart."

In order to keep full creative control and ensure that the fans receive the most benefit from the director's cut, Zack Snyder declined to be paid for finishing his "Justice League".
Confirmed in an interview by Deborah Snyder and Zack Snyder. The Snyder Cut only has about five minutes total of new shot added scenes with actors but there are over 2,000 new visual effects shots in the four-hour film.

The Cast
The cast are great. I enjoyed Ray Fisher as Cyborg a lot more this time around. Ezra Miller was great as The Flash too. But It’s Ben Affleck as Batman that nails it for me. And I know I’m probably going to be on my own here, but he’s my favourite Batman to hit the big screen. The more and more I watch all these movies, the more I enjoy him as Batman. I love his look, the way he moves, the way he fights, and I think he does a awesome job as Bruce Wayne too. I really wish he would of got to do his solo movie. Anyway, all the cast are great, and all play their characters very well.

Movie Highlight
The highlight of Justice League is the movie as a whole. It’s up there with Iron Man and Batman Returns as my favourite superhero movie of all time. I absolutely love how it looks, feels, and sounds. The action is big, loud, and just so damn fun. And Zack Snyder absolutely delivered on his promise with this movie. WB should be ashamed of themselves for burying everything to do with this.

My Verdict
Fantastic film. It’s everything that I wanted from the original and more. I just wish Zack Snyder got the chance
to finish his story because the ending to this movie had so much more to give, and the story had a lot of interesting ways to go.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Godzilla vs Kong
Directed By: Adam Wingard

The Story
Story....? What Story... it’s a movie about a giant Gorilla fighting a giant Lizard, and still they got it completely wrong. I hated this movie. I hated this movie so much that I didn’t even want to give it a rating. Hollow earth, Mechagodzilla, and a stupid side plot with some kid out of Stranger Things is the best they could come up with? Seriously!. I had such high hopes for this movie and it massively disappointed me.

Movie Trivia;
When asked about the apparent height difference between Godzilla and Kong in 2018, Adam Wingard said "They gave us a good out in Kong: Skull Island (2017) when they mentioned that Kong is still growing, but that'll be a challenge we have to deal with, and we're very aware of that issue."

The film takes place five years after Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), and 51 years after Kong: Skull Island (2017), which took place in 1973.

Adam Wingard explained why the movie's runtime is a little less than two hours. He stated that this is on purpose, telling Variety that he prefers to keep his films under the two-hour mark. The director also said that if Godzilla vs Kong were to run for three hours, it likely wouldn't include an additional hour of the Titans duking it out. He stated; "A lot of the fans online were all asking me is this going to be a three-hour film? When it was announced that it was a little under two hours they immediately thought when is the director's cut coming out? I like movies under two hours. I think if you do a movie over two hours, you better have a damn good reason for it to be that long. At the end of the day, if you're going to make this movie into three hours, you're not going to get an extra hour of monsters fighting. You're going to get an extra hour of people talking about monsters."

The Cast
The cast are awful. They make the movie feel cheap and less interesting every time they are on the screen. There isn’t one interesting character in the whole movie. There isn’t even one likeable character in the whole movie. I kinda wish Godzilla and Kong teamed up and completely ripped them apart.

Movie Highlight
Eiza González...... for the very short time she’s on the screen.

My Verdict
Crap. Honestly, I know I’m ranting but I hated this movie. I don’t see why it gets so much praise when it was just a complete sh** show. I loved Kong Skull Island. It was fun, it was interesting, and it completely captured Kong in all his glory. Even Godzilla wasn’t too bad. It wasn’t great, but it was still 10x better than this pile of crap.

Good review, I agree on Ironman and Jaws with 5 popcorns, but some other of those movies don't covince me...