Watch Ozu with Me (plus the films of his muse, Setsuko Hara)

→ in
Tools    

Hi Movie Forums,

In this thread I'll be reviewing the filmographies of two great artists: director Yasujiro Ozu and actress Setsuko Hara. Everyone else is invited to contribute discussion or follow along. Enjoy!

Yasujirō Ozu
born 1903 Tokyo, Japan
hired 1923 by Shochiku Film Co. (worked as an assistant in the cinematography department)
directed his first feature film in 1927

Ozu would have grown up in the early years of cinema, at a time when audiences were mesmerized just to see other people's faces and moving images on screen. He fell in love with films as a teenager, then decided he wanted to become a director. When he beat up a Shochiku colleague for cutting the lunch line, Ozu was called into the studio head's office, presumably to be fired. Instead, the maestro pitched a script and won himself a promotion.

Once in the director's chair, Ozu started his career with youthful slice-of-life comedies, before transitioning towards a more serious tone. It was after the war, during his renowned late period, that Ozu directed some of the most beloved classics in the history of cinema, for which he is known today.

Setsuko Hara
born Masae Aida 1920 Yokohama, Japan
debuted as an actress 1935 for Nikkatsu Studios
starred in films for Ozu, Kurosawa, and Mikio Naruse later in her career

Miss Hara was identified as a beauty with a warm personality and nice profile from a young age, and it was her brother-in-law, the director Hisatora Kumagai, who encouraged her to leave school and become an actress, aged 15. She made her debut in the young person's drama Don't Hesitate, Young People! (1935), but it was her starring role in the infamous Nazi Germany / Imperial Japanese co-production -- The Daughter of the Samurai (1937) that brought her international fame.

After appearing in a number of wartime propaganda films, Hara went on to become the top actress in Japan during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Her luminous smile endeared her to audiences, and although she occasionally played the romantic lead or femme fatale, her best known roles portrayed her as the "ideal woman", someone who carefully balanced the traditional duties of a wife, mother, sister, or daughter, with a more modern, independent approach. Shusaku Endo, the great writer, once said of his country's reverence for her: "[When we saw a Setsuko Hara film], we would sigh or let out a great breath from the depths of our hearts, for what we felt was precisely this: can it be possible that there is such a woman in this world?"

The Noriko Trilogy

Ozu directed a total of 54 films, and Hara appeared in more than 100 herself, but they are forever linked by the six they made together, especially the three that constitute the Noriko Trilogy:

Late Spring (1949)
Early Summer (1951)
Tokyo Story (1953)

The Noriko Trilogy has often been cited by critics as the greatest trilogy of all-time. In all three films, Setsuko Hara plays the title character, but each Noriko is a different woman, expressing a thematic progression, from a single daughter who doesn't want to get married, to a daughter who does want to get married (but only on her terms), to finally a tragic widow who demonstrates profound love and kindness towards the parents of her dead husband, missing and presumed killed in action during World War II.

As the 1940s and 1950s progressed, Ozu and Hara's statures soared, and they developed a very close personal and professional relationship, until they made their last film together in 1961.

Two years later, Ozu was dead, and Hara abruptly retired. She never granted another interview or photograph again. The most beloved woman in Japan in her prime, she never married and had no children. Her love interests, if any, were never publicly disclosed. Combined with her youthful image being forever frozen in time, she earned the nickname "The Eternal Virgin", and lived out the rest of her years privately in Kamakura, the same seaside town where Ozu was buried. It had also been the setting for many of their films.

So what is this thread about?

When I started watching Ozu and Setsuko Hara films, I took an immediate liking to both. Ozu had such a distinct, dignified shooting style, with perfect compositions, and minimalist approach. Miss Hara had the purest beauty, determined inner strength, and that famously warm smile, which sometimes expressed genuine playfulness or delight, but more often than not was just a mask meant to conceal very deep, even profound pain.

Tokyo Story is a universal film. It's ranked #1 on the most prestigious BFI Sight and Sound director's poll, and #3 on the critics list. Late Spring comes in at #15, and it's personally my favorite film.

Those are probably two good starting points if you want to check out their films, and then maybe you'll want to see more.

In this thread, we'll be watching all of them, every single one, at least the ones that survive. That includes a few titles from Kurosawa and Naruse, among other directors with whom Setsuko Hara worked. Unfortunately, many of their early films are lost, but even then I'll be posting stills and commentary whenever possible. Many other titles can be found online via streaming sites, or on DVD or Blu-ray. The thread will proceed in chronological order, to paint a picture of both artist's fascinating careers and lives, but everyone is invited to watch and contribute their own thoughts.

Up first, early Ozu 1927-1937, before the war, starting with his first film.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	yasujiro-1.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	51219   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZJ0YRjc.jpg
Views:	4224
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	51220   Click image for larger version

Name:	norikotrilogy.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	51221  

Late Spring is my favorite of those 3 and maybe my favorite from the director. My favorite Hara performance comes in The Idiot.

Hi cricket, thanks for joining in! I have The Idiot right here in my Post-War Kurosawa box set, but haven't watched it yet. I heard she's outstanding as the terrifying fallen woman, Taeko Nasu.

Very much looking forward to it!

I'v not seen a great deal of his work but personally I would recommend Floating Weeds as an introduction to a newbie, still I think feels very modern in its sparse style and very effective visually indeed in selling the location.

Nice idea for a thread and I shall certainly follow along for those films that I've seen.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I like both very much.. Especially "Boy" (since so many of his movies are so similar, same characters, same roles, etc), and Setsuko is adoring, she's always "good" (which I like)

I'v not seen a great deal of his work but personally I would recommend Floating Weeds as an introduction to a newbie, still I think feels very modern in its sparse style and very effective visually indeed in selling the location.

Floating Weeds is another great recommendation. Roger Ebert placed it in his top 10 all-time. The story is more dramatic in traditional ways than most Ozu, which are often described as "still waters run deep".

And then there is Kazuo Miyagawa's cinematography. A rare combination of Ozu working with the man who photographed Yojimbo, Rashomon, Sansho the Bailiff, and Ugetsu, among many others.

Nice idea for a thread and I shall certainly follow along for those films that I've seen.

I like both very much.. Especially "Boy" (since so many of his movies are so similar, same characters, same roles, etc), and Setsuko is adoring, she's always "good" (which I like)
Welcome to all and enjoy! Post as often as you like.

Sword of Penitence (Ozu, 1927) -- lost film

Ozu's first film came after he worked for a few years at Shochiku, first as a lowly assistant in the cinematography department, carrying heavy camera equipment around the lot; and then later as Tadamoto Okubo's assistant director, where they made nonsense comedies: films that had very little plot and were mostly just a series of running gags.

Eventually Ozu was urged to direct his own movie, and according to custom, like all new directors, he started out with B-picture jidai-geki, or period dramas. He wrote and directed this sword-and-samurai tale, in which two brothers can't escape their past lives of crime, despite their best efforts. They become entangled with a thief acquaintance, pursued by the police, and ultimately have to kill the bad guy and save the girl. Nothing for it.

The synopsis can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Penitence

The film's plot was summarized in the top Japanese movie magazine Kinema Junpo, and it received a generally favorable review. No script, negative, or prints are known to survive.

Ozu's thoughts:

To be honest, I wasn't in a hurry to become a director. As an assistant director, I could take it easy; once I became a director, I wouldn't be able to get any sleep, what with all the continuity to plan and develop. But everyone around me urged me to at least have a go at making one... In 1927, I got a notice with an additional clause from the company saying, "You have now been promoted to the rank of director, but you must make period dramas." At that time, period dramas were ranked lower than contemporary drama. Worse still, just as I received this notice, the period drama unit at Kamata studio was disbanded, so I was neither here nor there.
As preparations for filming began, I was called off for military service. I tried to get it done quickly, but just before completion, I was drafted into a unit in Ise. In the end, Saito Torajiro directed the first scene for me. By the time I came back, the film had already been released. I saw it in the cinema, but didn't feel it was my own work. It may count as my debut, but I only saw it once.
According to Ozu, he pretty much disowned the film and said it didn't resemble his work. But Torajiro Saito later said that he only filmed one or two scenes, so who knows.

This would be the only period film that Ozu directed in his entire career, and it was also the first time he worked with screenwriter Kogo Noda, with whom he would develop a life-long friendship. They were pretty much the biggest drinkers of sake around.

Already posted these in Chypmunk's thread but might as well drop these here.

Tokyo Story (Yasujirō Ozu; 1953)

The cinematography in this looked absolute beautiful and I really liked Setsuko Hara in this. I felt the themes of family were explored quite well in the film, especially in the second half. The ending was also very good. Definitely one of my favourite discoveries of the year and not something I'll forget anytime soon.

Good Morning (Yasujirō Ozu; 1959)

Thought this was quite solid. The acting is quite good and the film does provide some good laughs. Overall quite enjoyable but I liked Tokyo Story a lot more.

Already posted these in Chypmunk's thread but might as well drop these here.

I'm glad you liked them, Yam. Tokyo Story really is a masterpiece.

I think the more life experience someone has, the more likely they are to enjoy Ozu's films.

After he directed (and disowned) Sword of Penitence, Ozu went back to working as Tadamoto Okubo's assistant director for 6 months. Friends and colleagues urged him to direct again, but I think he was reluctant for three reasons:

1. he didn't want the added responsibility
2. he didn't want to direct period films
3. and he didn't want to move away from Tokyo, since the period unit had been relocated

The following year in 1928, the head man at Shochiku, Shiro Kido, nudged Ozu's career along by offering him the opportunity to write and direct his own nonsense student comedy. It would be a minor B-picture, to be sure, but it was something Ozu enjoyed and was very comfortable with.

Dreams of Youth (Ozu, 1928) -- lost film

Two college roommates invite their girlfriends over and go on dates. One of them owes money to a tailor, but he can't afford to pay the bill. When the tailor returns and demands payment, the broke lad gives him all his roommate's clothes instead. The other roommate returns and finds all his stuff missing. He has to wear something, so he starts wearing his friends clothes, but nothing fits.

Misunderstandings and comedy ensue.

Ozu's thoughts:

After Sword of Penitence, I turned down six to seven offers by the company. I wasn't that keen to become a director yet, because I longed to lounge around for a bit longer. Soon afterwards however, I had a chance to turn my own script into a film. Needless to say, the script was written according to company guidelines.
My friendship with (cinematographer) Mohara Hideo developed from that time on. He was to direct many of my films over the years. Mohara is a first-rate cameraman who produces beautiful work. My present cameraman Atsuta Yuhara used to be Mohara's assistant. The former's apprenticeship with the latter actually happened with this film.
This was the first film Ozu really considered his own, and like all his films until 1936, it was silent and in black and white. No existing script, negative, or prints have ever been found.

The studio had been very generous to Ozu, helping him start his career on his own terms, but after Dreams of Youth, Shochiku wanted him to fall in line and become more of a company man. Ozu reached an understanding with his boss, and from this point forward he became a full-time director.

Wife Lost (Ozu, 1928) -- lost film

A story about a man who cheats on his wife with dancing girls. Her father hires private detectives who catch him in the act. A dramatic car chase ended the film.

Ozu's thoughts:

The film was developed from a script which won an award in some magazine. The story wasn't particularly interesting. As a matter of fact, I have forgotten most of the plot. I made it under company orders.
Already, one can see Ozu's disdain for melodrama and plot twists.

Ozu made a couple of short films in 1928 too, where he worked out some technical aspects of the filmmaking process.

Pumpkin (Ozu, 1928) -- lost film

A man's family eats pumpkins every day, so the children always complain, "pumpkin again?" Full of comedy and gags.

Ozu's thoughts:

This film was way too short. I started to get the hang of how to do continuity from this time onwards.

A Couple on the Move (Ozu, 1928) -- lost film

A soap-opera melodrama about a couple moving residences based on the story's events.

Ozu's thoughts:

The company handed me the script. Though the company was calling the shots, as long as I thought I could handle it, I would accept the assignment dutifully. I made a conscious effort to try out a few things here. I thought I managed to offer something new and interesting but regrettably, the finished product was far from what I envisaged. Almost half the original was edited out.
These early 1927-1928 films were what might be called apprentice films. I'm sure the studio had low expectations at first. But soon after, Ozu's career would really begin to take off.

By the way, if you want to read more about Ozu's life and career, there are two great books I recommend:

Ozu: His Life and Films
by Donald Richie

Donald Richie was stationed in Japan during the Allied Occupation 1947-1949, where he learned the language and wrote Japanese movie reviews for Stars and Stripes. After graduating from Columbia University in 1953, he moved back to Japan and was hired as a film critic for The Japan Times.

The other book is David Bordwell's Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema, which is free and available online:

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cjs/092...dwell?view=toc

Ozu directed one last film in 1928, and then it's on to his first surviving movie later this week.

Body Beautiful (Ozu, 1928) -- lost film

A pathetic man does whatever his wife tells him; he's more of a servant than a husband. She paints for wealthy men and flirts with them, if not more.

Eventually the husband decides he's had enough. He trains very hard and learns how to paint-- then enters the same art competition as her. He paints a beautiful picture of his wife and wins first place while she gets nothing. The husband feels vindicated and becomes a real man. The woman learns her lesson and puts away the brush.

Ozu's thoughts:

With this film, I had finally evolved my own style. It was also the first work to gain the company's recognition. I still remember Uchida Kisaburo's critical review in Kinema Junpo. I had by that point figured out what filmmaking was about.
This was the first film where Ozu used his trademark low angle camera shots.

Body Beautiful was also Ozu's first truly successful film. The company praised him for successfully adopting the Shochiku house flavor: lots of laughs, a few tears, and a nice warm smile at the end.

OK so in the future, I'll probably be watching or re-watching and reviewing about 1 or 2 movies per week.

I hope you'll watch along or comment as each film comes up.

But also, feel free to post about any Ozu or Setsuko Hara film you might see on your own.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule for Week #1:

Movie of the Week: Student Romance: Days of Youth (Ozu, 1929)

Also:
Fighting Friends, Japanese-Style (Ozu, 1929)
I Graduated, But ... (Ozu, 1929)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Student Romance: Days of Youth is Ozu's earliest surviving film and can be found on Youtube or as part of the BFI's Ozu Student Comedies box-set (Region 2). The others are just 15-minute and 10-minute fragments that survive of otherwise lost silent films.

Looking forward to it!

I'll try and fit a watch of Days of Youth in this week if it remains on YT.