Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Captive (1986)

Probably made as a bit of an exploitative effort but this has it's qualities. Clear parallels make it a "version" of the Patty Hearst story (I don't think it would go even as far as "unauthorised" or "based on fact"). There's an eerie, sensual feel to the cinematography which I don't have a problem with. Another thing that makes this stand out is the music by Dave Evans...The Edge of U2 fame. Moody and considered.

Murder! (1930) - 5.5/10.

Hitchcock in his formative years. He was a bit all over the place really with this one. A nice watch, but nothing to remember fondly. Audio in those days was so new that a background score or a radio playing can turn dialogues off almost! Fun but nothing special!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Possession - 6/10
I've been trying to watch a movie, and this was the first one in a long time I didn't turn off, only because it was a bit different. Not great, but I still appreciated watching a movie.

The Lion king (2019)

Saw this earlier and had never seen original/stage version/anything. Couple of hours following a very thin but enjoyable story. The Popcorn and Fanta were better. My lad loved it and scanning the other seats, during the school holidays, the other kids were rapt.

As an adult, the voices were cr@p compared to The Jungle Book (2016) and the story utterly predictable from the get go.
Ho hum, should have had more Fanta

(For da kidz).

Male And Female (Cecil B. DeMille, 1919)

Admirable and classy but sadly didn't engender that much love for it in me

The Roaring Road (James Cruze, 1919)
+
More of a gentle purr than a roar really

Ask Father (Hal Roach, 1919)
+
Has its moments

Avengers 4 (2019)

Watched it with my little siblings. Better than Avengers 3 and they killed Iron Man, which was tby far the best character of the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movie is well made although I felt it was a bit overlong in some parts, in others it felt pretty good, kinda like Lord of the Rings style poignancy.

I watched these with my friend's grandchildren

Losharik
(1971)
3.75/5

The Maker
(2011)
3/5

Harry Potter: The Tale of the Three Brothers
(2014)
3.5/5

The Orphanage
(2018)
3/5

Piper
(2016)
4.5/5

Knick Knack
(1989)
3.5/5

Big News (Gregory La Cava, 1929)

Teeny-tiny budget means it's far more 'local rag' than broadsheet though

Boldly going.
7/10.
The original is my favourite horror movie. This was not nearly as good.
The only thing going for it: the bold decision to make some changes from the original, which gives it a "what if" angle:
WARNING: "What if..." spoilers below
What if Ellie had died instead of Gage?

Welcome to the human race...
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood -

Liked it well enough, though now I feel like I need to revisit Enter the Dragon as penance.

A Most Violent Year (J.C. Chandor, 2014)
+
A most undeserving title

Detective Pikachu (2019)

This movie was a very bland cliche. However, it had the ultra cute Pikachu so it was cool: it had a Pikachu who was also a detective. Although I didn't like the plot twist in the end.