🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Gene made enemies with the suits at NBC too. They screwed him by airing the third season of Star Trek Fridays at 10pm. This killed Star Trek as most teens are on dates at this time and the younger kids are asleep. The ratings fell and the Enterprise sank like the Titanic.
That's a bit like the BBC showing the last years of classic Doctor Who (my era) up against Coronation Street, effectively to run it into the ground.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
That's a bit like the BBC showing the last years of classic Doctor Who (my era) up against Coronation Street, effectively to run it into the ground.
I never got into watching Doctor Who. The only British SciFi I ever watched was U.F.O. and Space: 1999. When Gene Roddenberry found out about the show's new time slot he abandoned the show. He wanted nothing more to do with Star Trek. He even moved his office to another part of the building.

I never got into watching Doctor Who. The only British SciFi I ever watched was U.F.O. and Space: 1999. When Gene Roddenberry found out about the show's new time slot he abandoned the show. He wanted nothing more to do with Star Trek. He even moved his office to another part of the building.
Me too! I used to really like both U.F.O. and Space 1999 but never bothered to watch Dr Who. I'm sure it's a good show but I've never seen it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I know Uhura sings in Charlie X (before Charlie stops her voice) and again in Conscience of the King as she serenades Riley over the intercom while he's stuck down in Engineering.

Speaking of the episode "The Conscience of the King" and Lt. Kevin Riley, I was very sad to read that Bruce Hyde, the actor who played Lt. Riley, died a few years ago. I met him at a small convention many years ago, and we spoke for quite a while. He was such a nice man who took the time to talk to anyone who wanted to talk to him. He walked around the dealers room to talk to the dealers, and he really seemed to enjoy being there. I was at a different convention a few years later, and I was shocked to find that he remembered me, and he even took the time to come over to me, say hello, and talk again.

What a nice story, @gbgoodies I really enjoy hearing you - and other mofos- talk about the TOS notables you have seen or met. ( Please keep these stories coming )Do I remember correctly that Lt Riley once took over the Enterprise while 'drunk' on a space virus - and kept singing Kathleen over the intercom? Lmao

That was "The Naked Time." I think Kevin Riley was a charming character who unfortunately will be remembered most for singing that Irish ballad over and over again. Here's an interview with Bruce Hyde.

http://www.startrek.com/article/catc...ley-bruce-hyde

Thanks, @Mesmerized!

So... @Citizen Rules was correct!
Uhura sang a bit of "Beyond Antares (Where My Heart Is)" in The Changeling, then sang the same song (a longer version) in Conscience of the King and sang again in Charlie X.

So, we're back up to a total of 3 times Uhura sang on the show! Huzzah!

P.S. When I was a kid, my brothers and I all thought that Uhura was the voice heard in the vocal part that can be heard in the Star Trek opening theme (no lyrics, just aah, aah, ah, ahh, ahh, ah, aaaahhh!). But I'm guessing we were wrong about that too.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Really, Star Trek sucks. There is a reason it got cancelled, mediocre ratings and it was expensive to make. Yep, the women are beautiful and that's about it. Only a few episodes are watchable.

Really, Star Trek sucks. There is a reason it got cancelled, mediocre ratings and it was expensive to make. Yep, the women are beautiful and that's about it. Only a few episodes are watchable.
What's remarkable is how such a mediocre show turned into such a phenomenon.

It's obvious that Roddenberry's themes struck a note with a significant portion of our culture.

I felt as you did when I was little - my big brothers wanted to watch Star Trek, but I wanted nothing to do with it (it was as appealing to me at that age as Mission Impossible or Mannix!)

But at some point in my development the show struck that same chord - yet I still admit the show had the same relative production values as most mediocre weekly westerns of the time. But something about its characters & its themes became bigger than the sum of its parts.

...something about its characters & its themes became bigger than the sum of its parts.
No kidding!

Sorry, couldn't resist. But you got to admit zero gravity does strange things to the figure
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	daggerofthemind+slim.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	54077  

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
@Loner

I'm sorry, but there'll be no ice cream for you tonight.
Wow! That was harsh!

What's remarkable is how such a mediocre show turned into such a phenomenon.

It's obvious that Roddenberry's themes struck a note with a significant portion of our culture.

I felt as you did when I was little - my big brothers wanted to watch Star Trek, but I wanted nothing to do with it (it was as appealing to me at that age as Mission Impossible or Mannix!)

But at some point in my development the show struck that same chord - yet I still admit the show had the same relative production values as most mediocre weekly westerns of the time. But something about its characters & its themes became bigger than the sum of its parts.
Terrific points.

I think the concepts were advanced for their time and the special effects weren't bad given the time period and budget. While I'n sure not every fan will agree, I think part of the show's charm was it being a little over the top, just as Doctor Who was at times. I don't think all modern fans get that.

The dreaded Pandora's box of controversy...

I contend that, in TOS, Alpha Centauri was Earth's first contact with aliens and the inventor of Warp Drive was Zephram Cochrane - an alien from Alpha Centauri.

Alpha Centaurians were nearly identical to humans (which is why Cochrane appeared human in TOS), only major differences is a higher forehead and a diminished pinky finger (i.e. just slightly ahead of us on a evolutionary scale).

I've made these claims before as they were suggested on the TV series, but were confirmed in a book called Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology - the book was originally published in 1979 in concordance with ST-The Motion Picture.
(Note: the book was based on Roddenberry's thoughts, scripts & writings and he was still alive when it was released.)

Zephram Cochrane and our first contact was retconned in the movie ST-First Contact (1996).
Important note: this was the first ST film with no TOS crew made AFTER Roddenberry died.

The film made Cochrane an Earthling, changed continuity so that it was Earth that developed Warp Drive (rather than an Alpha Centauri / Earth collaboration) and that it was Vulcans who was our first contact. Films and TV series following this movie continued with the retconned chronology.

My contention is that Roddenberry's original vision was retconned with First Contact, and his personal continuity was reflected in the Spaceflight Chronology.

I always took it that Zephran Cochrane was a human from the Earth colony at Alpha Centauri...Humans could reach Alpha Centauri without warp drive as it's the closet star to Earth. So it's logical Rodenberry choose Alpha Centauri as Cochrane's home to show that humans had started to migrate out into the stars. It could be said that Zephran Cochrane invited the warp drive on Earth and later moved to the Alpha Centauri colony. That's the idea I'm going with.