What Were You Like In High School?

Tools    

Oh snd that wood shop? Nobody beat my technical drawings.

My friends were all guys, and for the most part I was one of them so I didn't have boyfriends, but many boyfriends. I'm better at befriending women as an adult but back then it was almost exclusively boys. It was awesome. I used to pot shot my favs on the head from a distance with ripe loquats. Aaah, childhood affection.

Ok, question. Guys who took home ec, was your first lesson "how to clean a cupboard"?

That what made me switch. My parents made me do chores. I was WAY beyond cleaning cupboards.
The only things I remember from Home-Ec was sewing (I made a pillow shaped like an "H") and cooking. I think it was the teacher who made a potato pancake cooked in class, but it still had chunks of raw potato in the middle - worst thing I ever tasted! I remember being so repulsed that I wanted to spit it out or throw up - but I had to swallow it and say it was good because the teacher made it!!!

In grammar school, Shop/Home-Ec was a regular part of the curriculum (just like art, music and gym), and when they made it co-ed, they just split the grade up so that half the kids would take shop while the others took Home-Ec for half a year, and then switch for another half year, but the boys and girls were now in the classes together.

This thread's probably REALLY SUPER cheesy, laff, but for some reason I'm enjoying it. Okay okay, I've gotta start doing that Horror Hall of Fame II thing, I put it off every night off from work I get!

I got incredibly good grades in High School, but had a very flippant attitude towards the actual classes, particularly the easier ones. I was in advanced placement classes for Maths and Literature, and took University level classes in my third year, but didn't pay the extra fee to get real University credits for them. For my electives I took mostly Tech classes, where there typically weren't any other girls.

I hung out with other sort of weird people who were cool enough not to be losers, but weren't exactly social butterflies - we weren't timid, we were just a little anti-social. During lunch we played card games (Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! mainly) in one of the classrooms that the stoners also chilled out in. Despite our hobbies, I guess we weren't considered as lame as the other nerds since we'd stand up for ourselves if anyone said anything to us.

I dressed a lot like how I do now in High School (sort of "normal", I guess?). It was after my "super tomboy" phase but before my "kinda goth" one. This was before Facebook, so there aren't any easily accessible pictures around. The closest thing I have is one from Grade 9, which isn't High School here.

I see you guys talking about Home Ec and Workshop classes, but we had none of that. Apparently my school added them by the time my brother went through though. I would've liked to have taken those classes. I was however lucky enough to take the Robotics class when it was offered for a limited time. It's not as cool as it sounds though. We only used motorized lego pieces and a very basic scripting program.

We split ourselves up into teams at the start of the class that we kept all year. Some of my friends also took the class, and we naturally grouped together. We called ourselves "Team Bare Minimum" since we aimed to put in the least amount of effort to still succeed. We always ended up first or second, much to the chagrin of the group of competitive nerds, who were trying really, really hard. It was pretty funny. We would finish the day's task early and play Worms on our computer (on a SNES emulator that I swear was there before hand) for the rest of the period.

The teacher didn't mind since we still got our work done.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I see you guys talking about Home Ec and Workshop classes, but we had none of that. Apparently my school added them by the time my brother went through though. I would've liked to have taken those classes. I was however lucky enough to take the Robotics class when it was offered for a limited time. It's not as cool as it sounds though. We only used motorized lego pieces and a very basic scripting program.

We split ourselves up into teams at the start of the class that we kept all year. Some of my friends also took the class, and we naturally grouped together. We called ourselves "Team Bare Minimum" since we aimed to put in the least amount of effort to still succeed. We always ended up first or second, much to the chagrin of the group of competitive nerds, who were trying really, really hard. It was pretty funny. We would finish the day's task early and play Worms on our computer (on a SNES emulator that I swear was there before hand) for the rest of the period.

The teacher didn't mind since we still got our work done.
We didn't get robotics until like 20 years after I graduated. We had a computer lab full of old macs (even old for the 90s) but The most we used them for was math invaders.

I was so jealous of a friend that got to go to a city school with painting classes and a real video production lab.

We didn't get robotics until like 20 years after I graduated. We had a computer lab full of old macs (even old for the 90s) but The most we used them for was math invaders.

I was so jealous of a friend that got to go to a city school with painting classes and a real video production lab.
No robotics? Don't feel bad we didn't have computers and our drivers ed cars were all Edsels

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ooooh. I think I get the real fishing point behind the OP. Let-me-clear-my-thrrrrrroat! Eh-hem:

I was ...like this and like that and like this, and uh...

I am the Key Master.

Believe it or not I took a "math" class in high school called "Computer Science." This was circa 1980.

I was never so lost in my life and couldn't figure out what any of it had to do with these newfangled computers.

It was all flowcharts (they gave us a little plastic template that let you trace out diamonds and rectangles). I literally do not know how I passed (I think with a C or D) because I had no idea what any of it was about. If they'd written on the board in Japanese without saying a word it would have made more sense to me than these flowcharts.

When it came to actually using computers (we had about 5 of them) - you had to get your name on a list and wait weeks to use one!

The only things I actually did on the computer was made a quiz (mine was a multiple choice about comic books) and a "visual" project where you drew a picture on graph paper first - then filled in an X wherever your line went through a square - then somehow made a grid on the computer where you filled in an X just like on the graph paper - then you removed the grid lines on the computer and ended up with a little drawing made of X's that we could print out!

That was it! That was "Computer Science": flow charts that meant nothing to me (which I still have no idea how they related to computers or programming or whatever), an interactive quiz (come to think of it, the fact that it was interactive and told you whether you got the answer right or not, was probably the most technologically advanced thing I did in the class!) and a little picture made with X's! (And these things were someday going to launch Space Shuttles?)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Believe it or not I took a "math" class in high school called "Computer Science." This was circa 1980.

I was never so lost in my life and couldn't figure out what any of it had to do with these newfangled computers.

It was all flowcharts (they gave us a little plastic template that let you trace out diamonds and rectangles). I literally do not know how I passed (I think with a C or D) because I had no idea what any of it was about. If they'd written on the board in Japanese without saying a word it would have made more sense to me than these flowcharts.

When it came to actually using computers (we had about 5 of them) - you had to get your name on a list and wait weeks to use one!

The only things I actually did on the computer was made a quiz (mine was a multiple choice about comic books) and a "visual" project where you drew a picture on graph paper first - then filled in an X wherever your line went through a square - then somehow made a grid on the computer where you filled in an X just like on the graph paper - then you removed the grid lines on the computer and ended up with a little drawing made of X's that we could print out!

That was it! That was "Computer Science": flow charts that meant nothing to me (which I still have no idea how they related to computers or programming or whatever), an interactive quiz (come to think of it, the fact that it was interactive and told you whether you got the answer right or not, was probably the most technologically advanced thing I did in the class!) and a little picture made with X's! (And these things were someday going to launch Space Shuttles?)

I took the same type of Computer Science class back in the mid-1980s. I loved it. It was my first computer course, and it was all logical, so everything made sense to me. The only part of it that I didn't like was the typing on the keyboard, but that was because I was also taking a typing course that same year, and I had the same teacher for both classes. I learned how to type properly in the typing course, but I prefer to type with the "two-finger method". My teacher tried to make me type properly during the computer course even though it was a different class.

I was shy but not scared to stand up for myself. I had friends in different groups, went to discos dancing to Motown, but also hung out with the metalheads, didn't really fit in anywhere. Always felt like an outsider. Wouldn't speak up much but knew a lot of stuff as I read like a maniac. Wasn't a big fan of school lessons (except French language and literature) prob daydreamed my way through the last few years judging by my A level results, but liked the idea of school.
Massive Everton fan, took my little brother every week to Goodison, home matches and reserve matches. Would argue football with the hard lads, unusual for girls then.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I was the Judd Nelson character in The Breakfast Club

Only I got five days of Saturday School (detention) in six weeks.

Smoke up Johnny, smoke up.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Final semester of high school was great. University was already locked up. Grades already made. Great little job at biggest mall on the east coast at the time. Doing the intense music phase. Great club in Winston that managed to pull national acts. Solid group of friends who basically made up the wrestling team. Camp outs on the back 40.

I was never a big deal, but I really enjoyed high school. In hindsight, I would have done things differently focusing on my future, but I cherish it all and have no regrets.

i was looked upto as the expert in history war military geopolitics etc by other school mates . used to get highest marks in social studies ( history and geography ) . but one bully used to hate me for that . also my best friend was secretly jealous of me for that , something that came as a major shock to me later .

I first fell in love with the girl who lived bang opposite my house when she started flirting with me from the window opposite my living room . she used to put on music of Bollywood songs and dance to entice me and I used to watch mesmerised . then she used to stand in the window looking deep into my eyes from afar . but her parents caught her doing this and she was forced to stop . later they moved out of our locality . I have tried to locate her on facebook in recent times but without success .

Varsity Letterman Jackets

Snappy Trendy Dressers- Lame or Swag?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Varsity Letterman.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	50577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Letterman.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	50578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mjackson.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	50579   Click image for larger version

Name:	kim letterman.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	50580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kanye letterman.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	50581  

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Smoke up Johnny, smoke up.
Don't smoke though, never did.