I Think I Know Why (Almost) Everyone Is Angry About Ariel

Tools    

Weird is relative.
Can Halle sing? If it's going to be a musical, she should be able to sing. She seems a little old for the part (Ariel was a teenager, I think.), but there have been many men who played characters who were younger.
She's 19, so I'd say she's an appropriate age for the role, even if to me, that's a pretty young age to get married... (if that's what will happen in the movie.)

And apparently she and her sister Chloe were discovered on YouTube when they were younger, and have since released R&B albums. I haven't heard their music yet.

I knew she looked familiar; she and her sister are on Grown-ish. I watched like the first three episodes before giving up on that show, haha.

A bucket of anxiety
It's not all about race Ami, in this case most of them just want the original aesthetics they know from childhood..
You can compare it to wanting your favorite childhood dish with the exact same ingredients, change one ingredient and it won't take you back to when you were a kid..

For example, one of the reasons I really like X-Men First Class is because they used the original cartoon colors blue and yellow in their suits. If they made it green and orange I would have been pissed..
I believe you have a point there, because for me, changes piss me off when they don't make any sense and/or misrepresent the original and I guess in this case it is a misrepresentation. However, if I cared anything about it, I would want to see if she can at least act the part. For me, her acting well would make up for the visual misrepresentation.

A bucket of anxiety
Also, since we are on the topic, since there there are people complaining about more diversity in Hollywood...
We're not complaining that there's more diversity in film, our problem is how it's being used. Black people and females are being used as reasons to see mediocre movies and if you want an example of something "deep," black actors are being used to play white historical figures. If that doesn't scream, "gimmick," I'm not sure what does.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
We're not complaining that there's more diversity in film, our problem is how it's being used. Black people and females are being used as reasons to see mediocre movies and if you want an example of something "deep," black actors are being used to play white historical figures. If that doesn't scream, "gimmick," I'm not sure what does.
Oh okay, what are any recent movies where a black person plays a white historical figure?

Mijafrost, when I read this thread early this morning, I actually saw Halle Berry, not Bailey! LOL! No, 19 is not too old to play a teen. But there was nothing unusual about teen brides at the time most fairy tales were written.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This is probably a good thing that she is 19 cause in Aladdin, one of my friends complaints was that they felt Aladdin and Jasmine should have been teens cause they behaved that way in personality, but yet were played by adults. I haven't seen it yet so not sure.

I liked the new Aladdin (Never saw the original and that may have helped.), but I agree with your friends, Ironpony. The two leads were charming, but their actions better fit teens and they clearly were not teens.

A bucket of anxiety

The Trumpy stuff at the end is kind of a stretch/irrelevant to this specific point, but the first bit is very relevant.
I basically stopped the video at Trump, but I see what you're saying now.

black ariel is fine. good movies are good, bad movies are bad. Her skin color doesn't affect the story in a negative way unlike Mulan being white or black washed or alien protagonist being man. in either of those stories, the cultural history of mulan and the metaphore for pregnancy of alien; their identities are very important.

much of star wars came from japanese samurai movies, especially the fortress.
lion king unlicensed remake of kimba the white lion
etc etc
as long as they make it good.

the problem with the new star wars movies aren't the women characters. solo was mostly a good movie. star wars 8 was better than the refresh star wars 7 for the most part. rogue one was good.

Speaking on the broader issue I think flipping gender/race of a white male character is insulting to minorities apart from lazy writing.

If you really want to give people of colour or women more prominent roles then create those roles.
I would rather have more movies like Black Panther or Atomic Blonde than a black female 007.

The Trumpy stuff at the end is kind of a stretch/irrelevant to this specific point, but the first bit is very relevant.

Went through 100 tweets on my TL through that hashtag. All were defending her. That's why the thing was trending. But racism sells these days.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)