🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I don't like seeing posts on this thread that put down, in any way, Star Trek actors. Such posts are highly offensive to legitimate Star Trek fans. If this person had any mind at all he would delete his post.

Looks like you stumped everyone on that last one, Mes!

In the meantime...

Get a load of the background music in these commercials! Not very apropo - sounds more like music from a sci-fi horror film.

I remember thinking the Mego transporter was the coolest thing ever!

Scottie, in charge of the transporter room? Sounds like a demotion. And they feminized the spelling of his name too
As chief engineer, Scotty was like the go-to guy if there were any problems with the transporter - as he would be with any other mechanical problems on the ship. But even though his position and rank would probably put him above any standard transporter room duty, he probably had more working knowledge of the device than anyone else onboard. If he was in the transporter room, he'd definitely be "in charge" as he'd outrank any under-crewmen and surpass the technical knowlegde of most superiors (of which there were only two onboard).

LOL! I do get carried away thinking about fictional things, don't I?

Come to think of it, Scotty would be "in charge" of any room on the Enterprise if Kirk or Spock weren't in it (except for Sickbay, as Dr. McCoy had equal rank and was head of that department).

From TOS I always got the impression that Scotty would only operate the transporter himself - first, if there was any problem with it he'd be ordered to investigate, test it or repair it himself (given there were no greater mechanical emergencies on the ship at the time).

He'd often personally oversee transporter operations for important missions, where high ranking officers comprised the "away team" or for questionable transporter situations where transporting may constitute a higher level of danger or malfunction due to environmental or technical aspects.

Scotty would also be assigned transporter duty for bringing or sending dignataries, ambassadors or high-ranking Star Fleet officers - where (as third in command) he'd also serve as part of the Enterprise's officers welcoming committee or debarkation party for such guests. I believe having Scotty operate the transporter in those situations was a show of respect - like "your trip aboard will be conducted by our top man - our second officer - not just any transporter operator."

Now - for trivia's sake: can anyone name any other "transporter chiefs" or operators who were named in TOS?

Some more funny moments from the commercials:

"The Gorn - half human, half beast!"
Um... no. Gorns weren't half human - they were an alien reptilian species, not even part human (excepting for panspermia theories - but that's a much broader subject). "Humanoid" maybe as they had two arms, two legs, a head and walked upright.

"The Neptunian" - never featured, shown or mentioned on Star Trek to the best of my knowlege.

The "Tricorder" was a cassette tape-recorder!

Love that gif!

(The behind the scenes irony is that he's winking at Chekov - Walter Koenig - who claimed Shatner couldn't even remember his name when they showed up to film TMP.)

(The behind the scenes irony is that he's winking at Chekov - Walter Koenig - who claimed Shatner couldn't even remember his name when they showed up to film TMP.)
Cool! I didn't know that.

Charlie X has got to be one of the most frighting sci-fi tv episodes I've ever seen. Such a great ST episode. It's intense and yet it ends on such a sad note. Really a haunting episode and I might say it's the best OS ST episode ever done.

I won't view those Charlie X screenshots for fear of seeing the poor woman who lost her face. Did that rub anyone else the wrong way? It may be the most disturbing image I've ever seen in a movie or a TV show. The muffled speech makes it even worse.

Charlie X has got to be one of the most frighting sci-fi tv episodes I've ever seen. Such a great ST episode. It's intense and yet it ends on such a sad note. Really a haunting episode and I might say it's the best OS ST episode ever done.
Yeah it was sad. Probably the saddest ending of all the shows. One of my favorites. You can see him mouth the words, "I wanna stay."

I won't view those Charlie X screenshots for fear of seeing the poor woman who lost her face. Did that rub anyone else the wrong way? It may be the most disturbing image I've ever seen in a movie or a TV show. The muffled speech makes it even worse.
That scene with the faceless woman looks like something from the Twilight Zone.

Yeah, I think I mentioned this a couple pages back on this thread - one of the most disturbing TV scenes of my childhood.

Although it doesn't seem as bad in the replay as I remember it. Probably all has to do with knowing what's coming and when you weren't expecting it.