The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I like your countdown layout, nicely done. And I like how you did the linked movie titles in your second post. Of the movies I've seen on your list, I really enjoyed them all. Comments below.

The List:

100. Showgirls
I seen this at the theater and enjoyed it. It's bombastic, it's over the top and in your face. I think it's clever film making, as that's Paul Verhoven's style, and he delivers his movies with gusto. Glad to see this on your list.
99. Schindler's List
I'm glad that Steven Spielberg went ultra serious with this hard hitting, interwoven story of the Jewish plight and the Germans who risked their lives to save them in WWII. Shooting in glorious B&W makes the film all the more potent.
98. Persona
97. U Turn
96. The Road Warrior
Love this one! It's my favorite of the series. It's fun, exciting and splashy, but it's also deep with the idea that all a person has is his word 'a deal is a deal'. This film is like a religious idea to me. Ya, I know that sounds crazy!
95. Romper Stomper
94. The Illusionist
93. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
92. Philadelphia
91. Waltz With Bashir
90. Tombstone
You're right Val Kilmer makes this movie, so does Kurt Russell. One of my favorite westerns, happy to see it here.
89. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Brad Dourif was in this? He's always interesting with a powerful performance. It's been years since I seen this and now I want to see it again.
88. Catch Me If You Can
Love this one, Steven Spielberg once again shows he can work in different genres other than feel good fantasy films. In my book this is a near perfect film. And from what I read is very factual.

I look forward to the rest of your list!

Not seen Philadelphia or Tombstone. Love Waltz With Bashir obviously, top five animated film and one of my favourites in general. Glad to see it on your 100. One Flew is a film i've loved from a young age which is weird; you wouldn't think a kid would like a film about a mental hospital and i know some of my friends liked it then too. Not watched it in about four years because i've seen it so many times, think i might watch it again soon. Catch Me If You Can is fantastic; can't decide between that, Temple of Doom, Jaws or Close Encounters as my favourite Spielberg.

Even though it's been many years since I watched Tombstone, I do remember enjoying it a lot, so rep for that.

Rep for Cuckoo's Nest but it's an odd one for me. I can see why people like it so much but I personally only kinda liked it—for some reason it fell short of being amazing for me.

The Incredibles
(Brad Bird, 2004)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

I've never been a fan of superhero movies, but if any studio can make me a fan of a particular superhero movie it's Pixar. So much fun and such great characters. Especially Edna "No Capes" Mode.

Grosse Pointe Blank
(George Armitage, 1997)

I don't know that I really believe John Cusack as an assassin (though Dan Aykroyd is a much less convincing one), but the movie is a whole lot of fun and Cusack looks damn fine in it.

I didn't care for Grosse Pointe Blank, but it was a long time ago and I feel like it's something I might like if I watched it again.

The Incredibles is terrific.

Glad that The Incredibles made it this time as i know it isn't one of your very favourite Pixars and i wasn't expecting it. It's third for me and a top 15 Animated Film. I like Grosse Point Blank, not sure why because i don't think anything about it is done that well, it entertains me though.

I'm also a huge fan of Tombstone, great list so far!

School Ties
(Robert Mandel, 1992)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 48

Though Brendan Fraser's career has taken a decided nosedive for like the last 15 years or so, I still think he's a quite gifted actor in the right role and he really shined here. He won't make nearly as many appearances on this list as he did in my previous one, but this is one film I just couldn't bear to cut.

Meet the Robinsons
(Stephen Anderson, 2007)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 83

Although this isn't one of Disney's more popular films (in fact, Funny Face and I were the only ones to vote for it for the countdown), I've always really enjoyed this little time travel adventure. It's just a lot of fun.

Casualties of War
(Brian De Palma, 1989)
Previous Rankings: 2010 -19, 2013 - 49

I'm not usually a fan of war movies, but this is one notable exception. It's a very emotional film with great performances, particularly by Thuy Thu Le, whose only acting credit is this.

I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons or School Ties, and I'm surprised how many from this list I haven't seen.

Casualties of War is very good.

This features the first ones i dislike. To be fair though i've only seen the first half of School Ties before i turned it off because i wasn't enjoying it so i don't really have a qualified opinion of it, plus it was a while ago. And Meet The Robinsons is one of my least favourite Disney films, didn't know you were a fan. Haven't seen Casualties of War.

The List:

100. Showgirls
99. Schindler's List - I remember this to be one of those all time acclaimed epics that I felt the weight and popularity of as well as the grand feeling of it, but I wasn't extremely into it on a personal level. It was a slight departure for Spielberg and I liked the peformances and the cinematography, but apart from the end I wasn't all that invested or found the story too interesting. It does need at least another watch though to judge it properly. I saw it a long time ago.
98. Persona - one of my favorite Bergman's too. I did think it got a little overexplainable towards the end and lost a bit of its mysterious and almost spiritual atmosphere. Still, a unique spellbinding movie.
97. U Turn
96. The Road Warrior - one of the best of the series. Might be my fav, gotta see it again. Hated or at least really disliked the first, felt pretty much the same about three, but in a different way. Four I really like, but don't love completely. Two was pretty great though, I should at least give it another watch soon.
95. Romper Stomper - I heard about this all the way back in, what, middle school? I don't know, think I was 9 maybe and my friend said I should watch it. Never did though and never knew Crowe was in it until very recently. Should at least be an interesting watch.
94. The Illusionist - one of the few "french animations" I'm missing, next to the stylistically similar Belleville by the same director and a few other popular ones. This one I never got around to. I think I got it laying around somewhere. Gotta get to it soon.
93. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - I do love silent films and this was a really good one. Impressive and groundbreaking for its time. Very good and not the least important and pretty much obligatory watch. Great to see it here.
92. Philadelphia - I agree with your comments, still a good film indeed.
91. Waltz With Bashir - one a second watch, this was amazing for me. The animation and style was still top notch incredible, but this time I really connected with the story on a different, emotional and almost spiritual level. It felt almost otherwordly, yet extremely real. Weird but impressive way to make a documentary.
90. Tombstone
89. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - needs a revisit. It's one of those movies I saw back in the day to expand my movie knowledge, but probably didn't quite "get" or comprehend as a movie fan.
88. Catch Me If You Can - love this, seen it a few times. I agree with your comments. Fun film and story and good acting.
87. The Incredibles - knew this would be here! I think it's really fun but not much more for me. Edna Mode is amazing though. One of the best characters ever. And Brad Bird himself voicing it? God damn genius!
86. Grosse Pointe Blank
85. School Ties
84. Meet the Robinsons - I would have voted for it too had I seen it (again) for the list. I pretty much loved it the last time I saw it. Fun, yes, but also a lot more complex and heavy in a different way for Disney. Also really groundbreaking and great world building. Really enjoyed it.
83. Casualties of War

Looking forward to more! From what I've seen, I like it. And good layout and presentation. Good, short comments too. good work, MV.

This features the first ones i dislike. To be fair though i've only seen the first half of School Ties before i turned it off because i wasn't enjoying it so i don't really have a qualified opinion of it, plus it was a while ago. And Meet The Robinsons is one of my least favourite Disney films, didn't know you were a fan. Haven't seen Casualties of War.
You suck.

The List:

100. Showgirls
99. Schindler's List - I remember this to be one of those all time acclaimed epics that I felt the weight and popularity of as well as the grand feeling of it, but I wasn't extremely into it on a personal level. It was a slight departure for Spielberg and I liked the peformances and the cinematography, but apart from the end I wasn't all that invested or found the story too interesting. It does need at least another watch though to judge it properly. I saw it a long time ago.
98. Persona - one of my favorite Bergman's too. I did think it got a little overexplainable towards the end and lost a bit of its mysterious and almost spiritual atmosphere. Still, a unique spellbinding movie.
97. U Turn
96. The Road Warrior - one of the best of the series. Might be my fav, gotta see it again. Hated or at least really disliked the first, felt pretty much the same about three, but in a different way. Four I really like, but don't love completely. Two was pretty great though, I should at least give it another watch soon.
95. Romper Stomper - I heard about this all the way back in, what, middle school? I don't know, think I was 9 maybe and my friend said I should watch it. Never did though and never knew Crowe was in it until very recently. Should at least be an interesting watch.
94. The Illusionist - one of the few "french animations" I'm missing, next to the stylistically similar Belleville by the same director and a few other popular ones. This one I never got around to. I think I got it laying around somewhere. Gotta get to it soon.
93. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - I do love silent films and this was a really good one. Impressive and groundbreaking for its time. Very good and not the least important and pretty much obligatory watch. Great to see it here.
92. Philadelphia - I agree with your comments, still a good film indeed.
91. Waltz With Bashir - one a second watch, this was amazing for me. The animation and style was still top notch incredible, but this time I really connected with the story on a different, emotional and almost spiritual level. It felt almost otherwordly, yet extremely real. Weird but impressive way to make a documentary.
90. Tombstone
89. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - needs a revisit. It's one of those movies I saw back in the day to expand my movie knowledge, but probably didn't quite "get" or comprehend as a movie fan.
88. Catch Me If You Can - love this, seen it a few times. I agree with your comments. Fun film and story and good acting.
87. The Incredibles - knew this would be here! I think it's really fun but not much more for me. Edna Mode is amazing though. One of the best characters ever. And Brad Bird himself voicing it? God damn genius!
86. Grosse Pointe Blank
85. School Ties
84. Meet the Robinsons - I would have voted for it too had I seen it (again) for the list. I pretty much loved it the last time I saw it. Fun, yes, but also a lot more complex and heavy in a different way for Disney. Also really groundbreaking and great world building. Really enjoyed it.
83. Casualties of War

Looking forward to more! From what I've seen, I like it. And good layout and presentation. Good, short comments too. good work, MV.
Damn, MM that's quite a response. Absolutely do check out The Illusionist and Romper Stomper. They're both really stunning in different ways.

Inside Out
(Pete Docter and Ronnie Del Carmen, 2015)

Although it didn't initially blow me away, it has really grown on me with subsequent viewings. I especially love Sadness and Bing Bong. It's nice to see the Pixar magic back again. Too bad they immediately followed it up with the lackluster The Good Dinosaur and the good but not great Finding Dory, though both are still way better than Brave.

Se7en
(David Fincher, 1995)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 41, 2013 - 33

I've loved this movie ever since I first saw it. It's really taut, engaging, and very well acted. Its rather significant slip in ranking probably has more to do with the length of time since I last watched it than anything else.