What's the Worst Alfred Hitchcock Movie?

Tools    

I really didn't like The Birds(I like the idea and always want it to come off better than I think it does), but the Manxman would be the worst I've seen because the guy on the left-

- is the worst actor in recorded history.
I actually have to agree with this, for the exact same reason. However it's a hundred times funnier when somebody else points it out, and uses THAT specific picture to illustrate it.

Just watched 39 Steps and it's my worst that I've seen of Hitchcock so far. Story just didn't grab me.
Havent seen it quite yet though I do own it.
I heard required Atleast three watches though

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It won't get a 2nd viewing from me in awhile. Just didn't find it all that entertaining. Too much talk, not enough action. And the talk wasn't too spectacular either. Just my opinion of course.

Those early Hitchcock movies leave something to be desired. Not much to them. I think the worst later ones were Marnie and the one he made before he died, Family Plot.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just watched 39 Steps and it's my worst that I've seen of Hitchcock so far. Story just didn't grab me.
I'd actually agree with you on that. Of all the Hitchcock films I've seen so far (about 20 now I think) 39 Steps has been my least favourite. Just could not get into it whatsoever. And then probably The Birds in second last position, then Marnie.

For some reason I really thought I had already though I had posted in this thread, anyway as a massive fan of Hitchcock here are what I'd rate his films at from what I've seen, attaching ratings and reviews so you can understand why I rate them what I do.

I know this thread is meant to discuss his worse but thought I might as well just give my thoughts on why I don't think some films listed in this thread are his 'worst' at all.

Psycho -
- Full Review
North by Northwest -
- Full Review
Vertigo -

You might question me awarding him three 5 star ratings, but I really think these are three fantastic films in their own rights. All are completely different, "Psycho" is one of my favourite horrors, North by Northwest is just such a fun action thrilled film and Vertigo is simply a masterpiece in filmmaking, if you don't like this film I think you've watched it expecting something else, it's a really tragic and romantic film that deals with a number of issues such as obsession and it's one of my all time favourite performances from James Stewart.

Dial M for Murder -
- Full Review
Strangers on a Train -

Rear Window -
- Full Review

Three extremely strong films, all of them different. Dial M feels different for Hitchcock and is more like a murder mystery but it's great, Strangers on a Train is more dark and sinister but great and Rear Window is another fantastic performance from Stewart who deals with more important themes (isolation) and it has a great suspense.

Shadow of a Doubt -

The Birds -

Rope -

To Catch a Thief -
- Full Review

All decent/good films. Shadow of a Doubt from a technical viewpoint is great and some of the scenes are made extremely well, Cotten is really good as the villain but I felt it just lagged a bit towards the end. The Birds again from a technical viewpoint is great, and I really enjoyed the film up until the end which left me with more frustration than enjoyment, some scenes are spectacular though such as the one outside the school where the birds unknowingly gather ready to attack. Rope is also a good film.

To Catch a Thief you might disagree with and give a lower rating, but its a more enjoyable, light hearted film in which Cary Grant is an enjoyable lead. Don't expect much and enjoy the French Riviera, I wouldn't call it a bad film but not one I'd watch over and over again.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956, remake) -

Probably my least favourite. It starts off well in Morocco with James Stewart, Doris Day and their family but it goes downhill after their son is kidnap with some of Hitchcock's most preposterous scenes. Two of the biggest highlights are music related, the appearance of the great Herrmann and Day's famous song 'Que Sera Sera'.

I've seen Vertigo,Rear Window,Psycho,North By Northwest,The Birds,Notorious and out of those I think The Birds was the worst.

Strangers on a Train strengthened for me with repeat watches. I wasn't as fond of it on the 1st watch.
The novel/play of the novel is much much better.