The best directors in Hollywood today who is your top 5?

Tools    

If you had to pick 5 directors right now in Hollywood who are your favorites who would you pick? Nolan? Spielberg? Scorcese? Abrams? Shaylaman? Zemeckis? other than Back to the Future franchise.

Off the top of my head: Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, Damien Chazelle, Denis Villeneuve. All have made several good movies in the past few years, each with their own unique style.

Are you interested specifically in directors making "big"/Hollywood films, or directors in general? I have some old stand-by folks (as in several films I love) and also some directors with one or two movies good enough that I'm keeping my eye on them.

Current Favorite "Hollywood" Big Budget Directors
Bong Joon-ho
Alex Garland
Taika Waititi
Mike Flanagan
Denis Villeneuve (I only just now realized he also directed Polytechnique!)

Honorable Mentions:
Nolan (not as excited as I used to be, but I still pay attention)
Rian Johnson
Brad Bird
Spike Lee
Steven Soderbergh
Ryan Coogler
Takashi Miike
Edgar Wright
J.A. Bayona
Chan-wook Park

Current Favorite "Indie" Directors
Peter Strickland (In Fabric)
Jeremy Saulnier (Murder Party, Blue Ruin, Green Room, Hold the Dark)
Lynne Ramsay (You Were Never Really Here)
Sean Baker (Tangerine, The Florida Project)
Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding, Queen of Katwe, The Namesake)
Claire Denis (High Life)

Short but Strong Track Record, Keeping an Eye on Them
Leigh Whannell (Upgrade and The Invisible Man)
Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird and Little Women
Panos Cosmatos (Beyond the Black Rainbow, Mandy)

Well this one is tough because a lot of my top directors of all time are still working but not even close to the top of their game anymore. Anyway here goes

Joel Coen (Still doing fantastic work)

Martin Scorsese (I was a bit worried for a while but The Wolf of Wall Street proved he still has it)

David O. Russell (One of my favorite directors and other than "Joy" is super solid)

David Lynch (Maybe not what he once was but he's still on my list)

Quentin Tarantino (Once my favorite living director and now close to falling off this damn list)

Ones who have fallen too far for me to still consider but certainly once were up there or just not quite there yet.

Alexander Payne
Darren Aronofsky (Noah blew his chances out of the water, no pun)
George Miller (always loved his work)
Paul Thomas Anderson
David Fincher

Newskool:
  1. Denis Villeneuve
  2. Safdie Bros.
  3. Bong Joon-ho
  4. Taika Waititi
  5. Cary Joji Fukunaga

Older skool but still in the game:
  • Quentin Tarantino
  • Martin Scorsese
  • Clint Eastwood
  • Christopher Nolan
  • Spike Lee

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Admittedly I don't watch a ton of Hollywood big budget films, so I'll just list some of the newer and some bigger name directors I enjoy.

S. Craig Zahler
Jeremy Saulnier
Panos Cosmatos
Oliver Stone
Takashi Miike
Edgar Wright
Martin Scorcese
Quentin Tarantino
Harmony Korine
Jim Jarmusch
Coen Bros
Paul Thomas Anderson

My top 5:
Jeremy Saulnier
Panos Cosmatos
Oliver Stone
Coen Bros
Paul Thomas Anderson

joseph kosinky from oblivion, tron, and the upcoming top gun: maverick

Chistopher Nolan
Martin Scorcese
David Lynch
Ridley Scott
Terry Gilliam

Hard list for me, because most of my favorites are no longer working, or fallen of their game
all time favorites
Woody Allen
Lynch
Bergman
Fellini
Gilliam

I am the Watcher in the Night
Im gong to base this on work done in the last 10 or so years and I think the list is similar to a lot of posters already...

Nolan
Coen Brothers
Russo Brothers
Sam Mendes
Bong Joon Ho

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Amazing

Top 5:
Alfred Hitchcock.
Stanley Kubrick.
Martin Scorsese.
Francis Ford Coppola.
Steven Spielberg.

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
WTF!? Why is there one particular name not appearing on any of the lists here???

Funny thing, i read the same names over and over again and seriously ask myself, are they really THAT good? I mean there seem to be a certain "hype" here for directors/titles who made titles being among "the top of IMDB´s best ever"-list, but in my opinion, not only that some of those titles are more or less "overhyped" and neither as entertaining as they are having that kind of cult-value as certain other titles by other directors have.

Well, hard time for me to vote for my TOP 5 but i know who is actually THE BEST, especially when it comes to the amount of cult-classics as well as regarding the entertainment-factor of his movies.

In my opinion, the guy made a number cult-classics like no other director and while he actually produced my most favorite scifi/horror movie of all times, he as well made so many other flicks i found to be highly entertaining and seriousy, no Spielberg, no Tarantino (who is a real die-hard fan of JOHN CARPENTER) and no Scorsese made the same amount of titles, being great or having the same timeless cult-value, besides being highly entertaining.

Admittedly I don't watch a ton of Hollywood big budget films, so I'll just list some of the newer and some bigger name directors I enjoy.

S. Craig Zahler
Jeremy Saulnier
Panos Cosmatos
Oliver Stone
Takashi Miike
Edgar Wright
Martin Scorcese
Quentin Tarantino
Harmony Korine
Jim Jarmusch
Coen Bros
Paul Thomas Anderson

Another Zahler fan, you must be the other one?

Nolan is in a different league. Even without Zimmer.

There's a bunch of runner ups, but they haven't been their best version in too long:

Alex Garland
M. Night Shyamalan
David Fincher
Denis Villeneuve

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
James Cameron and Christopher Nolan both are at the top of the list!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you take 'Hollywood' and 'today' from the thread's title seriously, then none, really.

If you don't, then Panos Cosmatos. S. Craig Zahler isn't half-bad either.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.