I didn't understand the ending to Uncut Gems (2019)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The guy just probably hasn't watched enough fictional crime drama television to know the rules of what or what not to do as a fictional low-level criminal gopher.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Lol

Not to "overthink" things again but movies and TV have given us all an unrealistic view of fingerprinting and DNA. I think it's actually quite unlikely to get a good print, the suspect has to touch glass or have something on their hands to cause a print, like blood or paint etc. Most surfaces you can't actually get a fingerprint.
Fingerprinting and DNA work when you have good prints, intact DNA and the suspect is in the database. Otherwise, it might do nothing more than verify a suspect who is found by other means. Intact prints are not all that common. DNA can be a nearly definite match if you can find a usable sample that's not contaminated, but that doesn't always happen either. Movie scripts need to move along quickly, so they don't do much about the complications of identifying a suspect and no audience would understand the technical details of DNA analysis, so the script just says, "it's a match".

I am the Watcher in the Night
Hard (but respectful) disagree! Thought Sandler was great. It's a version of his angry characters, sort of the same way his character in Punch-Drunk Love was, but there's a lot more going on there. It's an admittedly fine distinction, in the sense that Anthony Hopkins could play another sophisticated serial killer and we'd all have a hard time not just thinking of it as him rehashing Hannibal.

Honestly don't understand this. It goes everywhere. It's positively breakneck.

That's not what a morality play is, though. A morality play exists to teach a lesson, not to give you someone to root for.

That's exactly why. The entire movie, that particular thug gets angrier and angrier, is antagonized more and more. And the fact that he's a hired thug means he's a mercenary, so at a certain point he decides it's better to just kill everyone and take what's there.

But, if you don't buy that, that's the morality play part: the universe (the one inside that little gem, no less) punishes Howie for his refusal to learn. The last moment to save himself is when he's hovering over that button on the phone, when he knows he can call Julia and pay off his debt and get on with his life, and he chooses to let it ride anyway. That shows he'll never learn, never change, and that's why he dies.

Eh, people who are superficially "out of each other's leagues" get together all the time, especially when issues of power and money are involved. Not that weird.
I was going to counter all those points but realised there was no need, it's clear we both see the film in different ways. For me its a derivative, been there, done that crime drama. I can however see why you or some others may enjoy it, if you enjoyed similar crime dramas in the past.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

I couldn't finish this one because it just stressed me way out. I'd like to finish it but I just don't know if I can. I imagine if I ever do, it will then sit with The Road and Children of Men of pretty great movies that I'll never watch again because of the anxiety they induce.
I’m a 100% with you on those two, though I don’t feel that way about Uncut Gems.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
While the thread is being bumped, I guess I have to ask. Who hasn't gotten so angry you just have to punch a tree to get it out? Drop the mobile between the driver seat and center console? Welp, there's a good tree so ima pull on over and punch it. Walk into the office and see your personal "meow" pun coffee mug on a co-worker's desk as if it's not obviously your mug? Heck. There's a tree outside. Pay it a visit or two. On a conference call with a client and your boss keeps repeating, word for word, what the client just said but then adding a question mark at the end because he isn't paying attention making the staff look like morons? Can't punch a tree at the moment, but you can dream about it to get you through the call.

Look. I'm just saying people do things.
And that's OK.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The trick is not minding
While the thread is being bumped, I guess I have to ask. Who hasn't gotten so angry you just have to punch a tree to get it out? Drop the mobile between the driver seat and center console? Welp, there's a good tree so ima pull on over and punch it. Walk into the office and see your personal "meow" pun coffee mug on a co-worker's desk as if it's not obviously your mug? Heck. There's a tree outside. Pay it a visit or two. On a conference call with a client and your boss keeps repeating, word for word, what the client just said but then adding a question mark at the end because he isn't paying attention making the staff look like morons? Can't punch a tree at the moment, but you can dream about it to get you through the call.

Look. I'm just saying people do things.
And that's OK.
Careful. That’s what lead to The Happening. Nature has a way of getting back at us.
Also, see The Ruins. Also the trees from the LoTR trilogy. Ok maybe not them.
Don’t mess with nature is all I’m saying