"Hellboy" Takes Box Office Crown

Tools    

"Hellboy" Takes Box Office Crown
Despite taking first place easily from Scooby Doo 2, last week's champ, comic book adaptation Hellboy grossed less than most box office experts had expected, taking in roughly $23.5 million over the weekend ...MORE

is 23.5 mil a good number for the first weekend, or is that juse mediocre?
And found he was eating his shoe.

I'll be seeing it... and I've never even heard of the Hellboy comic book. Put a superhero in a movie and I'm there, ANY superhero.

I actually LIKED the Hulk and didn't think Daredevil was nearly as horrible as everyone said...

BTW: Daredevil made $45 million it's opening weekend, so Hellboy's $23.5 isn't that great for a movie that everyone was expecting to be a "blockbuster"

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
is 23.5 mil a good number for the first weekend, or is that juse mediocre?
It really depends on which measure you use.

If you go by films in general, $23 million is pretty strong. Most major releases would be very pleased with that. If you judge it against other comic book adaptations, it's not quite as good, as a lot of those released over the last few years have been major blockbusters. If you go by hype and promotion, $23 million is a little bit of a disappointment, because Hellboy got a pretty sizable marketing push. But if you go by budget, $23 million is a success, because the film only cost $60 million to produce, which it should now easily recoup, not even counting the eventual DVD/video sales and rentals.

So, it depends. The film looks to be a financial success, but a bit of a disappointment at the same time, given its potential.