The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

What happened to Swan, the pinky violence fan?
Fair enough.

I was kidding anyway. Have fun with whatever happens!

Incidentally, I have 2 lists now and like any true action hero I intend to PERSEVERE.

Pardon me if I don't act beholden to your schedule or are part of this "circle of privilege" you seem to have erected for deciding these things.
It was actually Yoda who decided that these need to be done within an unofficial schedule so people would have sufficient time to watch movies for it, there wouldn't be too many running at once and most importantly so everyone would have a say. Obviously though you are special and can just decide and that is exactly what you've done what the next countdown will be and when it will happen. These only happen about twice a year and you have never taken part in any of these but that doesn't matter of course. Omni has decided. What will be after that?

Maybe there should be a thread about unofficial forum etiquette so people don't unintentionally offend regulars who expect things to be done a certain way. If only people who have been previously involved in other countdown threads know what the unspoken rules are, then misunderstandings are bound to to happen.

If there is a thread like this and I've missed it, do let me know.

It was actually Yoda who decided that these need to be done within an unofficial schedule so people would have sufficient time to watch movies for it, there wouldn't be too many running at once and most importantly so everyone would have a say. Obviously though you are special and can just decide and that is exactly what you've done what the next countdown will be and when it will happen. These only happen about twice a year and you have never taken part in any of these but that doesn't matter of course. Omni has decided. What will be after that?
Wrong. Yoda never made a ruling saying who could do what Countdowns and when. Yoda stated his own personal opinion on what countdown he thought should go next and he was clear in letting us know it was only his opinion and not a ruling.

It was actually Yoda who decided that these need to be done within an unofficial schedule so people would have sufficient time to watch movies for it, there wouldn't be too many running at once and most importantly so everyone would have a say. Obviously though you are special
A one-man army with a total lack of diplomacy and weaponry to spare? You're PERFECT for this thread!

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
Maybe there should be a thread about unofficial forum etiquette so people don't unintentionally offend regulars who expect things to be done a certain way.
If it was a stickied thread, it'd be official, otherwise I'd call BS.

"Unintentionally offending regulars" is the type of walking-on-eggshells gunshy newbies shouldn't have to deal with. A community should be open and reciprocative. I've been on those kinds of forums.

They SUCK.

Just to clarify, there are no official rules about who can start countdowns or when, and while I won't rule out creating such a rule, I'm only going to do it if things get really crazy. I think the countdowns work because they're grassroots-based and user-organized, and I want to interfere with that as little as possible. You guys have been awesome about all getting in line and coming to your own consensus about who runs these, and I'm not going to mess with that unless I absolutely have to.

It's certainly my personal opinion, though, that they work much better when they don't overlap (or, at most, that a smaller/more casual one only overlaps a little with a larger/more serious one). I think it's better to have people wanting more and looking forward to these than risk saturating the idea, but again, that's just an opinion. And it's not just a preference thing: it's really hard getting a large number of lists even with one running exclusively, so I think it might be especially hard if there are two going.

But, provided someone doesn't mind the prospect of a lower "turnout" and just wants to do something quick and fun, it's certainly up to them. And if someone else thinks that's too many, I'd ask you to just make up your own mind about whether to participate, but let them do their thing.

Too many lists kinda ruin the point of the lists. The previous ones have all been well thought out as far as topic, deadline, and host- by the whole community. While this was just scrapped together. And also Omni has only been here 6 months, if the deadline is pushed all the way to after the 50s list who knows if he'll even be here? I believe Guap tried to do something similar when he first joined and it failed. I really don't think we need another list. I'm with Camo and Raul on this

who knows if he'll even be here?
Betting against my activity?

I have a post average of around 16 posts per day and that includes over 80 long rambling reviews since I started. I've been on this website for the past 6 hours.

I fear that's a gamble you will lose.

Betting against my activity?

I have a post average of around 16 posts per day and that includes over 80 long rambling reviews since I started. I've been on this website for the past 6 hours.

I fear that's a gamble you will lose.
I'm not rooting against you. But everyone on this forum longer than a year have seen people who post like addicts for a few months come and go

I wouldn't even bet on myself doing one of these, since occasionally I'm gone for a few weeks. That's why the hosts of these have usually been thought out

I'm not gonna tell anyone they can't argue about this, but I'd really like it to be in the constructive criticism vein. And heck, maybe even semi-privately. I'd like there to be a "live and let list" attitude here. It's certainly true that too many lists can dilute things...but only if you feel obligated to participate in all of them. If you basically ignore the ones you don't care about, a big part of the problem goes away.

I think people should run as many countdowns as they like.

I just think that the big Top 100 forum-wide one-two-per-year kind of lists, shouldn't be rushed and shouldn't overlap too much with other thread, definitely not another big countdown like the 50s list.

But hey, it looks like everything is sorted out now. We had a rough start but it looks like we agree on waiting a bit and in that time frame people will have plenty of time to watch both 50s movies and action flicks.

Originally Posted by donniedarko
I believe Guap tried to do something similar when he first joined and it failed.
Source, source, and source. On all occasions he gave up, and if it's not already apparent; giving up seems to be a pretty Guap thing to do.

I wouldn't even bet on myself doing one of these, since occasionally I'm gone for a few weeks. That's why the hosts of these have usually been thought out
I have no other preoccupations save a swift and sudden seizing illness.

Originally Posted by Yoda
If you basically ignore the ones you don't care about, a big part of the problem goes away.
*laughs* THANKS.

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation
We had a rough start but it looks like we agree on waiting a bit and in that time frame people will have plenty of time to watch both 50s movies and action flicks.
And maybe both at the SAME TIME.

Oh, and one last thing.

I kind of went along here and just agreed on a lot of things without thinking of the most important thing: many people want to do a list. I'm not sure if the action countdown would be the next of interest... but one day, whenever it might be and whenever it might fit... I'm totally in!

DonnieDarko, did you not read the last paragraph of Yoda's post?
I'm just trying to discuss how to make a potential action list better