The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

While you are all practicing proper social distancing (see above) be sure to mix in some Westerns to your quarantine movie-watching marathons.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Account terminated on request
Curious. If Blazing Saddles is a western, is Spaceballs science fiction?
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd say that's true of any comedy that is primarily focused on parodying a specific genre since it has to invoke all the same tropes and signifiers in order to make its jokes work. Spaceballs is a science fiction movie, Shaun of the Dead is a horror movie, Disaster Movie is...well, take a guess.

Please watch The Furies.

Video is a spoiler!

I hope by posting this scene it will generate interest in this underrated western.

The acting is terrific and confronts racism strongly.
I didn't see a racism angle but I really enjoyed the movie. Nice rec

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I didn't see a racism angle but I really enjoyed the movie. Nice rec
Yes, maybe more subtle. Glad you liked it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
These I consider some of the best westerns of the last 20 years aside from ones that many of you've already seen.

Aferim!

Slow West

Becoming Bulletproof

The Dark Valley

Let the Bullets Fly

Bad Day to Go Fishing

The Good the Bad the Weird

Seraphim Falls

The Tracker

These I consider some of the best westerns of the last 20 years aside from ones that many of you've already seen.

Aferim!

Slow West

Becoming Bulletproof

The Dark Valley

Let the Bullets Fly

Bad Day to Go Fishing

The Good the Bad the Weird

Seraphim Falls

The Tracker
The Good the Bad the Weird is in my watchlist, hoping to get to it sometime this month!

The others I hadn’t heard of, but thanks I will check them out.

One of my coworkers wanted more hours this week, so I gave her my Saturday shift and now I have a three day weekend. Hopefully I can get some more Westerns watched. I already have enough for a full ballot but I'm hoping to find a few more that I really like.

I've watched two of the movies Mark just recommended and both were excellent. Hopefully I can get a hold of the rest of them and get them watched in time.

This theme is right my alley, I'll absolutely send a list!

Let the night air cool you off
If you got ten minutes to spare, check out The Backwater Gospel from 2011. It's an animated short film and it gets just as dark and gritty as any other revisionist western you might wanna check out.

Let's see how the MoFo collective feels about this one...

Eligibility Debate
Lone Star
1996, John Sayles

John Sayles' look at two generations of racial tensions and murder along the Texas/Mexico border focused on two sheriffs; the present day Sam Deeds (Chris Cooper) and four decades before his father Buddy Deeds (Matthew McConaughey), the local legend in whose shadow Sam lives.

Skeletal remains are found out in the desert and seem to point to a long vanished local sheriff, Charlie Wade (Kris Kristofferson), the corrupt, violent, racist who held the position before Sam's father. Layers of lies and secrets are revealed about the romances and terrors of that county.

The IMDb lists it as a Drama, Mystery.

It surely has the trappings of a modern day Western, but does it utilize enough of the tropes and structure of the genre to be considered for our list? I LOVE this movie. To me it is Sayles' masterwork and the in-camera transitions between the timelines are wonderful. But I would also classify it as a mystery much more than a Western, though like many of John Sayles' films it defies easy classification..

I would lean towards exclusion, myself, but I am not the final arbiter, nor is the IMDb. What say you, MoFos?