MOFO Chat Room

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Wouldn't it be so cool if we had one? I think there'd be more interactive movie talk -- I know this just going to non-movie chat rooms; someone always mentions a movie, and then it's off to the races, and I've always, always imagined how stimulating those conversations would be especially with the great crowd we have in here.

I would donate a box of movies for this cause, no joke.

Thrre is one but it only opens on special occasions.

I thought it would be nice too. But maybe shoutbox is that.
To me, the Shoutbox is like a pinned thread.... With a chat, you can see everyone is in the room, and the chatter is continuous, and no one is worried about flooding the page.

I actually have been to the last 3 Oscars JUST for the chat - and I don't even watch the Oscars!

People do ask about this every so often. I suspect very strongly that the chat room would usually be pretty bare. A forum has to be awfully large to sustain something like that, whereas a mid-sized forum can still be regularly active, since posts are asynchronous and all that.

It'd also, I think, probably be a huge moderation headache, at a time when such things already consume a lot more time than they used to. So I'm pretty committed to using it only for scheduled events.

That said, I am definitely open to doing more scheduled events.

Wouldn't it be so cool if we had one? I think there'd be more interactive movie talk -- I know this just going to non-movie chat rooms; someone always mentions a movie, and then it's off to the races, and I've always, always imagined how stimulating those conversations would be especially with the great crowd we have in here.

I would donate a box of movies for this cause, no joke.
The couple of times that I tried the Star Wars Chat room, it wasn't conductive to deep conversation. I would post something and in a few seconds my post was buried and forgotten without a reply. It was better suited for quickie one liners as there were too many people at once to have any sort of meaningfully conversation.

Not saying I'm opposed to the idea as an extra MoFo feature, but I don't think a chat room here would be the panacea to conversation that you might hope it would be.

The couple of times that I tried the Star Wars Chat room, it wasn't conductive to deep conversation. I would post something and in a few seconds my post was buried and forgotten without a reply. It was better suited for quickie one liners as there were too many people at once to have any sort of meaningfully conversation.

Not saying I'm opposed to the idea as an extra MoFo feature, but I don't think a chat room here would be the panacea to conversation that you might hope it would be.
Yeah that's definitely what happens. It's fun but it's not built for conversations, your post is buried in 30 seconds.

People do ask about this every so often. I suspect very strongly that the chat room would usually be pretty bare. A forum has to be awfully large to sustain something like that, whereas a mid-sized forum can still be regularly active, since posts are asynchronous and all that.

It'd also, I think, probably be a huge moderation headache, at a time when such things already consume a lot more time than they used to. So I'm pretty committed to using it only for scheduled events.

That said, I am definitely open to doing more scheduled events.
What about two boxes of movies?

I would like to have deeper conversations on movies and other stuff. It does happen sometimes too, but not as frequent as I would like. Don't know what can be done to encourage it?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@matt72582 admit it you just want sex chat you kinky man you
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I would like to have deeper conversations on movies and other stuff. It does happen sometimes too, but not as frequent as I would like. Don't know what can be done to encourage it?
You have to have at least four or five people watching the same film which is why the Hall of Fames usually have the best discussions. It's much easier to get people talking when they've just watched something rather than recalling something from months back or whatever. That or one of the films everyone has seen like Star Wars or something.

I was just going to say this... It's usually after I see a movie, I might have a question, or just wondering how people read certain things.. I've been constantly thinking about this. For example, I might put a review, but it usually ends with that, and I check all the time...

(The mentions are a great way to keep up, another thanks for that)

For example, the conversations we have about certain movies in a PM... I always think "Man, I would love if other fans of these movies got involved with THIS conversation"..... Usually, I go to an IMDB-replica site that kept ALL the posts for every single movie.

My quick link is for "NEW POSTS" so my replies are "fresh" but it seems like the only thing that's REALLY talked about is politics, and so in-depth.

Is there a PM fuction in chat too? I know that souds weird since we have PMs, but it's more like fast private chat. That could help on busy chat nights.

I think that slow nights might be helpful too. When you know someone feels like chatting.

Is there a PM fuction in chat too? I know that souds weird since we have PMs, but it's more like fast private chat. That could help on busy chat nights.

I think that slow nights might be helpful too. When you know someone feels like chatting.
You can mention people in the chats if that's what you mean. Think you get a notification if you're mentioned, can't remember.