A Double Standard?

Tools    

And protesting his intolerant speech is also an acceptable form of speech. There is no one right way.
True! But there is a wrong way: violence. And failing to make this distinction is, frankly, a much bigger threat to society than whatever fringe hate group is getting headlines. As is so often the case, how we respond to the extremes of the culture is ultimately what dictates how much power they actually have.

Well, I don't encourage participation for its own sake. I'm not just mindlessly happy that people are posting regardless of what they're posting.

All that said, it was just a joke, since the last couple of threads you'd started were obviously about very controversial topics.

Well, I don't encourage participation for its own sake. I'm not just mindlessly happy that people are posting regardless of what they're posting.

All that said, it was just a joke, since the last couple of threads you'd started were obviously about very controversial topics.
Just trying to liven this place up a bit. Am a bit surprised at some response which is down right hate full, but I guess that goes with the territory.
Those that start crossing the line and get too personal, I'll just put on my ignore list, as well as those that post stupid and irrelevant comments.
I don't need to waste my time on them but individuals such as yourself, I don't mind disagreeing with from time to time, since there is always logic in your disagreement.
Open minded individuals I can agree to disagree with.
As for others, I wish there was a block button.

Welcome to the human race...
I hardly find that using violence as an end to justify the cause is missing the forest for the trees. It's all like right out of Lenin's playbook. Heard of him?
There are other ways to deal wit issues. Acceptable ways. Destruction of property and beating up and killing people are certainly not acceptable.
You don't like the speaker or what he stands for, just ignore him. Don't show up and have him talk to an empty room. That is acceptable.
The more violence you use and the louder you protest, the more attention he gets. Why can't you just choose the Gandhi way?
This is why.

I'm not really sure how this is an explanation. Please explain the underlying logic: if someone tries to commit murder...we have to ban or restrict the expression of any potentially motivating ideologies? Even if the system is successfully prosecuting them for their actions?

In a sense this link is a contradiction to the point you are trying to make.
Please understand that in no way do I condone their actions and I find their escalated response extreme, but their vehicle was struck first by a protester.
Had the protesters just sat there ( like Gandhi ) and not instigated a physical provocation, then those tragic consequences would never have happened.
Let's face it, most people and media feed on violence, so if we don't give it to them, they go away.
Imagine a rally, where no protesters show up and no one listens to a speech.
They parade themselves for a while and nothing happens. They walk away.
Now, it's on them to try different methods of attracting attention. Perhaps they resort to violence, but then the authorities can swiftly reply and take them out all together.

The Paradox of Tolerance is that a society cannot be infinitely tolerant without ultimately opening itself to destruction from the intolerant. The much wider parameters you've given here (that something merely has to be "rooted in...intolerance") don't merely apply to actions that may bring down society, but to merely intolerant words, as well.
Also I read more about Popper's paradox of tolerance and it's more complicated than that. He said that for totalitarian ideas that they should never be censored but exposed openly and refuted by society. So neo-Nazis should indeed be allowed to express their views. Anyway, not allowing then would make then underground and leave then protected from mainstream society.

Welcome to the human race...
In a sense this link is a contradiction to the point you are trying to make.
Please understand that in no way do I condone their actions and I find their escalated response extreme, but their vehicle was struck first by a protester.
Had the protesters just sat there ( like Gandhi ) and not instigated a physical provocation, then those tragic consequences would never have happened.
Let's face it, most people and media feed on violence, so if we don't give it to them, they go away.
Imagine a rally, where no protesters show up and no one listens to a speech.
They parade themselves for a while and nothing happens. They walk away.
Now, it's on them to try different methods of attracting attention. Perhaps they resort to violence, but then the authorities can swiftly reply and take them out all together.
Yeah, because nothing tragic ever happened to Gandhi.

Seriously though, you have to think about what kind of message is sent to people by the occurrence of a neo-Nazi rally that receives no opposition whatsoever. Even if nobody were to show up even just to listen, the concept of an out-and-proud neo-Nazi being able to publicly expound upon his views without any sort of repercussions is liable to embolden others because of the idea that such an occurrence could be considered socially tolerable (if not necessarily acceptable). I can see why people would say that it's better to let them talk and make fools of themselves in the eyes of the public, but that's still dependent on the assumption that enough people are able to see through Nazi rhetoric. That's still a huge risk to take, especially now that they're presenting themselves as these suit-wearing intellectuals in order to take advantage of the presumption that only stupid, uneducated people are violent racists.

I find it hypocritical that those same people that so vehemently fought for the right of football players to kneel during the national anthem, citing the First Amendment, also vehemently fought to prevent a Neo-Nazi from speaking at the University of Florida, characterizing his speech as hate speech.
What to me is a great paradox is that Florida declared a state of emergency so that they could assemble enough police officers to protect the speaker and prevent violence from the protesters.
It is a double standard but I'm fine with it. I don't like the players kneeling but I think it should definitely be allowed as long as it's not against NFL rules. F**k the Nazis. I hate Nazis, especially Illinois Nazis. They are not even human beings as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
They are not even human beings as far as I'm concerned.
Interesting, because "X are not human beings" is a Nazi ideology.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yeah, because nothing tragic ever happened to Gandhi.

Seriously though, you have to think about what kind of message is sent to people by the occurrence of a neo-Nazi rally that receives no opposition whatsoever. Even if nobody were to show up even just to listen, the concept of an out-and-proud neo-Nazi being able to publicly expound upon his views without any sort of repercussions is liable to embolden others because of the idea that such an occurrence could be considered socially tolerable (if not necessarily acceptable). I can see why people would say that it's better to let them talk and make fools of themselves in the eyes of the public, but that's still dependent on the assumption that enough people are able to see through Nazi rhetoric. That's still a huge risk to take, especially now that they're presenting themselves as these suit-wearing intellectuals in order to take advantage of the presumption that only stupid, uneducated people are violent racists.
I understand your logic.
I try to look at history to have a better understanding of possible consequences of violence.
As Hitler and the SA started their ascent, they were met with a lot of violent opposition, mostly from the communists and anarchists. There was a lot of carnage and Hitler prevailed and even got rid of the very SA that helped him come to power( with his creation of the SS )
Of course, once he consolidated power, there was no silent protest.
Today, violent groups like ANTIFA only escalate the problems wit the Neo-Nazis and give them some claim to legitimacy, as the Nazis are initially victims of ANTIFA physical aggression, during rallies and protests, which then gives them an excuse to retaliate and claim self defense.
That's why it's better to let our legal system deal with them, when they cross the line.
The clashes with ANTIFA only increase their membership, which at the moment is insignificant and does not pose a major threat.
This comes from the FBI annual assessment of active anti-government groups within the United States.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Few posts here were nice reads and now I'm inspired to write something, but as this is mostly focused on USA I don't know what

So if this is a bit off topic forgive me but - Freedom of speech in USA and Europe is not the same, not even close, because in France you can be arrested and brought in front of a judge only for calling homosexuality an illness, or speaking in that manner. You can't speak about Nazis in a way above mentioned person did, you cannot say everything that comes to your mind, especially when talking about such topics as Nazism.

Just wanted to point out that difference in freedom of speech.

What I find fascinating is the 4 groups in the front lines of current events in this country: Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Neo-Nazis and KKK all share 2 common traits:
They are anti government
They use violence as a means to an end.
1. It is not accurate to equate the 4 groups and it seems like that is exactly what some of the conservative media likes to do especially when it comes down to BLM and Antifa. Some of the BLM protesters have indeed engaged in some violent protest, but as an organization, that is not what their guiding principle is. It is not part of their agenda. They are a group with much narrower scope focusing primarily on anti-black violence and queer issues (which a lot of people are not aware at all).
Antifa on the other hand has confirmed that they will fight fascism with any means necessary. That includes violence. They also do not believe that hate speech is free speech. Also, their scope is a lot broader. They fight agains fascism which can include a wide range of people and groups and crosses the issue of race, gender, nationality etc.

Also, to clarify, the 2 groups above are not anti government per se and I would venture to say neither are KKK or Neo-nazis.

2. You seem to have omitted the most important part of the 4 groups which is what they are fight for. It makes a huge difference. The fact that you are grouping them all together is disturbing. I guess it boils down to if you think that violence is sometimes necessary? Were the atom bombs necessary? Did Hitler's reign reach the stage it did because people decided to ignore it and to just fight it by peaceful means for too long? Until it was too late and then they realized that you have to fight evil with evil which in turn gave birth to much more violent resistance groups that would make Antifa look like an MUN meeting? Hmmmm.....

3. The rise of radical groups is done in a parallel manner. If there was no rise in neo-nazis and KKK there would be no rise in antifa and other similar groups.

I can see why people would say that it's better to let them talk and make fools of themselves in the eyes of the public, but that's still dependent on the assumption that enough people are able to see through Nazi rhetoric.
The entire concept of free speech is based in the idea that people can and will see through things like this. If you think they can't, and that you need to stop people from even hearing abhorrent ideas to protect them from themselves, then the concept is already doomed and you're just trying to manage the decline.

Addendum to the above, I posted this awhile ago in another thread and literally no one responded to it, but it applies here as well:

1) It's important that the government be allowed to prohibit speech it deems hateful.
2) The Trump Administration will abuse its power and cannot be trusted to enforce things fairly.

Pick one.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
There is another point I would like to add, did any government use its power without abuse? Fairness is simply not part of politics, in my opinion. If I am arrested and some well-known politician, for same crime we would get different punishments.