A Double Standard?

Tools    

I find it hypocritical that those same people that so vehemently fought for the right of football players to kneel during the national anthem, citing the First Amendment, also vehemently fought to prevent a Neo-Nazi from speaking at the University of Florida, characterizing his speech as hate speech.
What to me is a great paradox is that Florida declared a state of emergency so that they could assemble enough police officers to protect the speaker and prevent violence from the protesters.

Anything else about America seem hypocritical to you?

Welcome to the human race...
It's the paradox of tolerance - in order to maintain a generally tolerant society, citizens cannot afford to tolerate views that are fundamentally rooted in promoting and practicing intolerance. The neo-Nazi's ultimate goal is to assert their superiority over anyone who does not fit into their narrow and irrational concept of what constitutes a worthwhile human being, so neo-Nazis are inherently intolerant people. To this end, why should we care about allowing neo-Nazis freedom of speech when we already know that they intend on using it to minimise the free speech of others by promoting toxic worldviews and actions? That's a far cry from football players taking a knee to protest again racially-motivated acts of police brutality - it's not so much about getting rid of all cops as it is about asking cops to be better.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Well, regardless of political views, I think all of us human beings are hypocritical at times, it's just in our nature. All of us adjust certain social rules to fit our views and opinions. But at the end of the day I'd like to think that we need to learn to co-exist with people who have opposing views as us. There are 7 billion people in the world, you can't win them all, I can't win them all, we will never find middle ground. The best thing we can do is reserve judgment and accept. I think people should be able to do whatever they feel is right, as long as it doesn't affect other people.

Thanks for noticing the love of my life!
Did you like the movie 'memoirs of a geisha' ?

It's the paradox of tolerance - in order to maintain a generally tolerant society, citizens cannot afford to tolerate views that are fundamentally rooted in promoting and practicing intolerance. The neo-Nazi's ultimate goal is to assert their superiority over anyone who does not fit into their narrow and irrational concept of what constitutes a worthwhile human being, so neo-Nazis are inherently intolerant people. To this end, why should we care about allowing neo-Nazis freedom of speech when we already know that they intend on using it to minimise the free speech of others by promoting toxic worldviews and actions? That's a far cry from football players taking a knee to protest again racially-motivated acts of police brutality - it's not so much about getting rid of all cops as it is about asking cops to be better.
That was very well said, but it still begs the question if the First Amendment is truly intended as the right of all.
To me, the irony of the situation is that the guy that is preaching hatred is most likely the least violent guy in the room. If given the chance, those protesters would gobble him up.

Well, regardless of political views, I think all of us human beings are hypocritical at times, it's just in our nature. All of us adjust certain social rules to fit our views and opinions. But at the end of the day I'd like to think that we need to learn to co-exist with people who have opposing views as us. There are 7 billion people in the world, you can't win them all, I can't win them all, we will never find middle ground. The best thing we can do is reserve judgment and accept. I think people should be able to do whatever they feel is right, as long as it doesn't affect other people.
That is a real nice utopian view but unfortunately is not applicable to the human condition.
I do recognize a touch of Buddhism in your thinking.
Out of those 7 billion people, did you know that now 5 out of 7 are either Chinese or Indian?

Yes, it struck a chord in me.
Here is my review of the movie 'Memoirs of a geisha'

The setting is Japan , where geishas have there own place in society.

Narration of the film is done in the wonderfully old voice of a Geisha who has been through the ups and downs of life . And as is typical in the life stories of fallen women ( and a Geisha IS a fallen woman , no matter how sophisticated she is ) , she has been sold as a sex slave when she was a child along with her sister by her father who desperately needs the money .

The first 45 minutes of the movie are tragic and are filled with heart rending moments , like the moment when the leading actress and her sister are separated from each other permanently to go to different brothels . And as is inevitable in these stories , their attempts to escape from the hell they are in are unsuccessful .

To be honest I can't make myself see these stories of women sold into sex slavery for giving pleasure to men , for to me human trafficking is the worst crime on the planet . But something made me hold on to seeing the rest of the movie---maybe it was the atmosphere of the mystical orient that the movie creates . Even though I am an oriental myself ( I am from India ) , this was a different variety of orient I was seeing---the Japanese form .

And the film certainly recreates the society of Japan on celluloid , and it also wonderfully recreates the era of the 1930s in Japan . Photography is good too , though the film looks like it has forever been shot in the dark ; maybe that is because it deals with ladies of the night....

Or maybe that is because the film deals with a dark theme---the life of a Geisha , which is filled with many moments of sorrow and others of despair....

But our heroine ( here I revert to the Indian practice of calling the character played by the leading actress as 'heroine' ) is a lionheart , trying to survive through all the heartbreak and trying to triumph against the odds . And heartbreaking moments are many , brought about by a jealous rival older geisha who fears that our heroine may outclass her in the profession one day , and also brought by those whose ambitions are destroyed by our heroine's march towards success .

However in her march towards success , our heroine breaks one golden rule of a geisha---that as woman born to give pleasure to many men she cannot fall in love . For love demands fidelity to one person and her profession is such that she cannot remain loyal to one man .

Instead , our heroine has one outstanding desire in among all the trials and tribulations in life---to get as close to and be a part of the life of the man she has fallen in love with . And she is ready to strain her wits and renounce her pleasures to reach her goal . But her enemies come to know about her secret desire too , and use it to give her further heartache . How long will she hold on to hope....??

The second world war interrupts this world and temporarily the life of our heroine is turned upside down . And at the end of the war comes a new phenomenon---the American occupation of the country . Along with the occupation come American soldiers flush with dollars and also flush with unbridled lust....

So how does our lovely geisha cope with the new situation ??
Does she get the love of the man she has dared to love for so long ?? Does he even know about it ??
Does a woman of her profession and in her situation have the right to fall in love at all ??
Can a woman sold as a sex slave in childhood ever dream of happiness ??

Watch the movie for the answers....it will be a good watch....

The whole world loves a lover.....
And like a hopeless romantic I found myself rooting for the heroine to get her love and her happiness .

Or maybe that was the effect of the film....
.....For the director has woven tapestry of romance wonderfully over the setting of the film in the magical orient . And he has created a bygone era peace and war with practiced ease on the silver screen . It would be hard to resist seeing such a tale on celluloid....

Verdict---Very good

That is a real nice utopian view but unfortunately is not applicable to the human condition.
Out of those 7 billion people, did you know that now 5 out of 7 are either Chinese or Indian?
I am an Indian!!

Here is my review of the movie 'Memoirs of a geisha'

The setting is Japan , where geishas have there own place in society.

Narration of the film is done in the wonderfully old voice of a Geisha who has been through the ups and downs of life . And as is typical in the life stories of fallen women ( and a Geisha IS a fallen woman , no matter how sophisticated she is ) , she has been sold as a sex slave when she was a child along with her sister by her father who desperately needs the money .

The first 45 minutes of the movie are tragic and are filled with heart rending moments , like the moment when the leading actress and her sister are separated from each other permanently to go to different brothels . And as is inevitable in these stories , their attempts to escape from the hell they are in are unsuccessful .

To be honest I can't make myself see these stories of women sold into sex slavery for giving pleasure to men , for to me human trafficking is the worst crime on the planet . But something made me hold on to seeing the rest of the movie---maybe it was the atmosphere of the mystical orient that the movie creates . Even though I am an oriental myself ( I am from India ) , this was a different variety of orient I was seeing---the Japanese form .

And the film certainly recreates the society of Japan on celluloid , and it also wonderfully recreates the era of the 1930s in Japan . Photography is good too , though the film looks like it has forever been shot in the dark ; maybe that is because it deals with ladies of the night....

Or maybe that is because the film deals with a dark theme---the life of a Geisha , which is filled with many moments of sorrow and others of despair....

But our heroine ( here I revert to the Indian practice of calling the character played by the leading actress as 'heroine' ) is a lionheart , trying to survive through all the heartbreak and trying to triumph against the odds . And heartbreaking moments are many , brought about by a jealous rival older geisha who fears that our heroine may outclass her in the profession one day , and also brought by those whose ambitions are destroyed by our heroine's march towards success .

However in her march towards success , our heroine breaks one golden rule of a geisha---that as woman born to give pleasure to many men she cannot fall in love . For love demands fidelity to one person and her profession is such that she cannot remain loyal to one man .

Instead , our heroine has one outstanding desire in among all the trials and tribulations in life---to get as close to and be a part of the life of the man she has fallen in love with . And she is ready to strain her wits and renounce her pleasures to reach her goal . But her enemies come to know about her secret desire too , and use it to give her further heartache . How long will she hold on to hope....??

The second world war interrupts this world and temporarily the life of our heroine is turned upside down . And at the end of the war comes a new phenomenon---the American occupation of the country . Along with the occupation come American soldiers flush with dollars and also flush with unbridled lust....

So how does our lovely geisha cope with the new situation ??
Does she get the love of the man she has dared to love for so long ?? Does he even know about it ??
Does a woman of her profession and in her situation have the right to fall in love at all ??
Can a woman sold as a sex slave in childhood ever dream of happiness ??

Watch the movie for the answers....it will be a good watch....

The whole world loves a lover.....
And like a hopeless romantic I found myself rooting for the heroine to get her love and her happiness .

Or maybe that was the effect of the film....
.....For the director has woven tapestry of romance wonderfully over the setting of the film in the magical orient . And he has created a bygone era peace and war with practiced ease on the silver screen . It would be hard to resist seeing such a tale on celluloid....

Verdict---Very good
Nice review!
One point: the Japanese do not consider Geishas as fallen women. They are courtesans of the highest order trained from childhood to be artistic in many spheres and approachable to only the select few most rich and powerful.
On another note, I have watched a number of Bollywood films and have found them interesting and enjoyable.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Yup, it's very Utopian thinking, so I don't know why I even bothered on commenting. I'm still 18, so it's probably very naive of me to think that we can live in a world where people won't belittle others for carrying opposing views. I've seen strong arguments from both sides on this whole National Anthem kneeling fiasco, so obviously nobody will get the last laugh. I myself believe people should exercise their first amendment however they feel is most appropriate, and I agree with their choice to kneel. I think people who don't agree with the kneeling have strong points, but I don't think it's their place to tell people how to exercise their rights. I've also noticed that these decisions have triggered heated reactions from more non-soldiers than legitimate soldiers.

Yup, it's very Utopian thinking, so I don't know why I even bothered on commenting. I'm still 18, so it's probably very naive of me to think that we can live in a world where people won't belittle others for carrying opposing views. I've seen strong arguments from both sides on this whole National Anthem kneeling fiasco, so obviously nobody will get the last laugh. I myself believe people should exercise their first amendment however they feel is most appropriate, and I agree with their choice to kneel. I think people who don't agree with the kneeling have strong points, but I don't think it's their place to tell people how to exercise their rights. I've also noticed that these decisions have triggered heated reactions from more non-soldiers than legitimate soldiers.
For 18, you are not doing too bad. Sadly, in life a lot of things are about perception and most often beyond the control of a single individual and it's almost impossible for people to agree on every thing. You can't make everybody happy. Some one will always find some fault.
Idealism and revolution have brought about change but the conditions had to be right.
Eventually all empires fall, but when that happens it first happens from within.

You don't appear that interested in my post, so why ask for more, or are you just questioning my right to ask questions?
Yes. I'm questioning your right to ask questions. I also may need to know what color hat your wearing, as I may need to steer clear of your group at some point. I've only been reading your posts for a few hours now, but you seem to like to draw lines in the sand, so I gotta be careful how I craft my posts so I can get lumped in to the right group.

It was a serious question tho. Is that really the only thing you're willing to find hypocritical about America? Or can you dig a little deeper?

Yes. I'm questioning your right to ask questions. I also may need to know what color hat your wearing, as I may need to steer clear of your group at some point. I've only been reading your posts for a few hours now, but you seem to like to draw lines in the sand, so I gotta be careful how I craft my posts so I can get lumped in to the right group.

It was a serious question tho. Is that really the only thing you're willing to find hypocritical about America? Or can you dig a little deeper?
How astute of you. I do draw lines in the sand but I wear many different hats. I seek that elusive beauty known as truth. We often lose sight of the fact that interpretation comes from the viewer's angle, so I'm willing to cover them all to come to the right conclusion. I see that my some time sarcasm is lost on you. Unfortunately, I am flawed, as I am product of my own experience.
I do have a sense of commitment and some lines I won't cross.
It's hard to judge a book by it's cover, but if you really want to read it, you won't feel I pose some clear and present danger, but if you do, it's ok to stay clear.
I won't hold that against you.

It's the paradox of tolerance - in order to maintain a generally tolerant society, citizens cannot afford to tolerate views that are fundamentally rooted in promoting and practicing intolerance.
The Paradox of Tolerance is that a society cannot be infinitely tolerant without ultimately opening itself to destruction from the intolerant. The much wider parameters you've given here (that something merely has to be "rooted in...intolerance") don't merely apply to actions that may bring down society, but to merely intolerant words, as well.

It's really simple. Either the First Amendment is all inclusive or it's not.
When you pick and choose when to hide behind it, it does expose a double standard.
What I find fascinating is the 4 groups in the front lines of current events in this country: Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Neo-Nazis and KKK all share 2 common traits:
They are anti government
They use violence as a means to an end.