Questions About Release Calendar...

Tools    

Alright, the new version of vBulletin (the script this forum is currently running on) comes complete with a calendar. This calendar can list events, and user birthdays. It will allow someone like me, or one of the other "head" MoFos (moderators and such) to add events that show up on the calendar for everyone, and it also allows members to add events to their personal calendar, that will only be shown to anyone logged in under their name (hopefully only them. ).

Here's the question: should I just use this built-in feature to store release dates of major movies and such alongside member birthdays, should I store them there and turn off the member birthday listings on the calendar, or should I use the feature to display the birthday listings, and keep the releaste dates in a seperate calendar script that I've written?

I'm not sure if it matters much, but for some reason, I'm conflicted over this. I guess it comes down to this: will the release dates get in the way and annoy you while you're browsing through the calendar for your events and the member birthdays, public MoFo events, etc, or is it not a big deal?

If I had to decide now, I'd store the release dates on the forum's calendar, simply because I think it makes sense...the calendar is for MoFo related events, but a big movie opening qualifies as a MoFo event, because that's what this forum is all about.

Any thoughts?

As long as you don't get carried away and start listing the birthdays of all Republican Senators and Congressmen.

Jan 25th. That's me!

Hehe, ok. As for the member birthdays: ya'll will be able to edit those in your new profile management thingies. New users will be asked to enter their birthday on ititial signup, but of course, it's all voluntary. If you don't list it, you won't show up on the calendar like those who do. If you list the full birthdate, the entry on the calendar will list your age-to-be alongside your username. If you want to keep your age a secret, you can still enter the day and month, and you'll be listed as having a birthday on that day, but you won't have your age-to-be listed. Sweet, huh?

If you guys wanna see a demo of the calendar on another forum running a later version of vBulletin, just let me know, and I'll post a link.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I like the idea of having it setup to show when movies are being released. Now is this on video or theater or both?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Good question. Theatre is obvious...no doubt about that. Anything significant will be listed. However, video is another story. I'm thinking only bigger releases will be listed, if any are at all...so that kind of thing would be rare.

Ok, well I get a list of movies for the current month from my video store(of course) and if need be would put those up. Sometimes the smaller flicks are the ones people are looking for.

Since when was it cool to talk medievel again!? LOL. Sounds fine with me, but I just thought I would ask. In fact, found out when The Following(Chris Nolan, Memento)will be coming out, and it's in December, can't wait on that one.