Justice League

→ in
Tools    

I wonder that this movie released 3 days back and no one has posted their personal review yet. Guys please start sharing your views on this movie.

Should I hit the theaters tomorrow?

Welcome to the human race...
Check the "Justice League of America" thread in the Upcoming Movies section where people are writing short posts about their thoughts on the movie - if you need full reviews, you might have to check elsewhere for the time being (and Rotten Tomatoes collects professional reviews that you can look over). As for whether or not you should go see it, that'll depend on how you feel about blockbusters, specifically superhero/action movies and the DC heroes in particular.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
There may not be a full length review up yet, but there are member comments and ratings. Check the last movie you saw thread and the Justice League thread. The magnifying glass icon on the upper left hand is the search function.

I'm still wondering if I want to write a review on it - I feel like not doing ones for BR2049 and Thor: Ragnarok but doing one for Justice League seems a bit uneven for my liking.

Check the "Justice League of America" thread in the Upcoming Movies section where people are writing short posts about their thoughts on the movie - if you need full reviews, you might have to check elsewhere for the time being (and Rotten Tomatoes collects professional reviews that you can look over). As for whether or not you should go see it, that'll depend on how you feel about blockbusters, specifically superhero/action movies and the DC heroes in particular.
Thanks got some opinions there.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm still wondering if I want to write a review on it - I feel like not doing ones for BR2049 and Thor: Ragnarok but doing one for Justice League seems a bit uneven for my liking.
I was rooting for you to do one. TR and BR seem to have a lot of goodwill behind them, unlike JL.

On your scale in comparison to how you have ranked other movies, a 2 doesn't come across as a complete waste. I don't read all the stuff you write, but an articulate dissection on a pop movie would be good. I think the market is lacking some nuanced insight on this one.

Publishing reviews on here isn't as much fun as it used to be - I did hundreds of reviews back in 2015 but only about a dozen or so this year. There are a multitude of reasons for this, but I suppose they're all immaterial at this point. In any case, it does feel like I should be focusing that energy elsewhere.

A 2/5 is generally my "it's not that bad" rating that indicates a film isn't necessarily good but still has minor qualities to grant it a higher rating in my eyes. I did feel like it was shaping up to be a 1 or a 1.5 during its first half, that's for sure.

Well, where to start with this one! Scoring this is hard, I enjoyed it more than other movies that I'd give a 7/10, but if I gave it a 7 it'd be a very generous one

quick non-spoilery:
This was my most anticipated movie of the year so when friends and colleagues asked "so how was it?" I think they were a bit shocked at my "yeah, it was fine"
The story is very basic, Supervillain wants to conquer Earth..... because. (well, it's because "it's his birthright" apparently but there's very little development with Steppenwolf) The only reason to watch this movie is for the Heroes, all performances were good to great for me, I want to see more from all of them and I don't have any criticism for any of them.

compared to other films from the DCEU/DCU/whatever you want to call it
If you enjoyed Suicide Squad then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this too. The editing isn't as unsettling as Batman V Superman theatrical cut was. Wonder Woman was a better put together movie, but I had more fun with Justice League. It's hard to compare it to Man Of Steel, to me it doesn't even feel in the same universe (which will please some people)

That's pretty much all I can say without spoiling anything for anyone who hasn't seen it, so this is where the non-spoiler ends.....

this will also be spoilery for the Injustice comic story, which brings me to my biggest disappointment from this film, I realised I will never get to see this on the big screen:

after seeing the dream sequence in BvS, I was the only excited one out of the group of 12 of us that went to the midnight showing, everyone else was confused as hell! But yeah, I think it's a shame they changed the direction this universe was heading (I'm in the minority, but oh well)

I think every Superman scene was reshot, his mouth was just terrible. If you're unaware, Henry Cavill was filming Mission Impossible 6 after Justice League, his character in that had a moustache, Paramount wouldn't let Cavill shave for the reshoots so they had to CGI his mouth movements. The CGI reminded me of the god awful CGI from The Mummy Returns, it was just abysmal! It kinda gets a pass from me as it was unfortunately unavoidable, to get the CGI right I think they would've pushed the release back a couple of months.

Steppenwolf was just "meh" for me, the CGI wasn't as bad as Incubus from Suicide Squad but performance-capture like Caesar from the apes trilogy would've been better. Changing the Motherboxes didn't bother me really

How they brought Superman back was borderline ridiculous for me, but seeing Superman taking on almost all of the other heroes was a highlight. Supes vs Flash had my cinema in stitches! There are some real "classic Superman" moments ("is this guy still bothering you?", saving civilians with Flash) which many thought was missing from MoS and BvS

I'm a fan of Batfleck, Keaton is my Batman but Affleck does a great job, some of his lines as Bruce remind me a lot of Conroy from the animated series (yes, I had a fanboy moment hearing Elfman's theme) the only fault I had was that awful "I don't.... not like you" line, I rolled my eyes at that

Gadot gave another solid performance as Wonder Woman, I wish she'd been given more to do really, Roose Bolton's face after she deflects the machine gun bullets was priceless

I like Ezra Miller as The Flash, he's a talented guy and a super-nerd so I was optimistic going in, looking forward to Flashpoint (I was looking forward to it anyway for JDM as Batman, but now more so)

Jason Momoa looks like a kid at Christmas in this role, I wasn't really interested in Aquaman as a character in my younger years so the change in image doesn't bother me. I liked how they handled Atlantis, whether it was Wan or Snyder

The addition of Cyborg is probably the best move they could've made. In today's world where people have so much difficulty being away from their phones/computers etc, he's arguably the most relevant character out there. The CGI wasn't perfect but I had no problem with it, the modification of his chest at the end was better looking. Fisher didn't look at all out of his depth in the role, great choice

Supporting cast weren't really given a lot of screen time, all were solid, but I really want to see more of J.K.Simmons as Gordon

The movie's pace was a bit fast for me, about 30 minutes in I wanted to take my jumper off as the cinema was getting hot, I prepared myself so I could take my 3D glasses off and the jumper in one quick movement and waited for the right moment so I A) didn't miss anything & B) didn't annoy anyone behind me, I don't know how long it was til I found the right moment but I felt like it was at least 15 minutes. Will we see an extended cut? Who knows, but I'd at least like to get plenty of deleted scenes on the home release

Mid-credits scene was a fanboy moment, the ongoing argument of who's faster. Light, funny, worth staying for
Post-credits scene was a total surprise, had no clue it was coming, not only did they show us Deathstroke but they showed us a less annoying Eisenberg as Luthor, couldn't help but admire the double-down

I'm seeing it again this week at some point, so I might add some more to this at a later date

So after seeing it a 2nd time
it was still fine, for some reason it felt quicker than the 1st time around. My friend was watching it for the 1st time, he knew about the Super-stache beforehand so noticed it straight away, he neither loved nor hated it.

I can't for the life of me understand why, instead of losing the moustache in post, they didn't just give Cavill a full beard? I couldn't see any scenes that didn't have his digital mouth so would it have made such a difference? plus, you could've had another mid-credits scene which would answer the age old question "how does Superman shave?" (a mirror and his heat vision apparently)

reviews are average, 46 metascore, im not gonna watch any superhero films anymore,

spoilers below!

Justice League shows that we have a massive problem with critics, they are largely inadequate and have strong biases that get in the way of truly reviewing a film for it's merits.

There are critics out there that simply want to bash Zach Snyder, Ben Affleck and DC and will go into a movie already looking at it from the most negative perspective possible. If anyone enters a movie with such a mindset, flaws can be found and flaws can be exponentially overweighted. A perfect example are those that expect a super hero movie to be light hearted and funny and if it's not, IT SUCKS. This is NOT good movie reviewing, this is inadequacy at it's highest level.

Many people didn't watch this movie because of the stupid RT score, i almost didn't watch myself thinking it was going to be an incoherent, CGI filled MESS with bad acting and horrible story telling. I'M GLAD I DID, I LOVED IT!

let's address all these negative crap critics are saying.

1. Too much CGI. Okay, the villain was CGI and Cavil's mouth looked funny at times. SO? My goodness, CGI is part of every f super hero film and it never took me out of the movie, people today have this thing where they want everything to be free of CGI and any CGI is somehow BAD. WTF! Could've the villain be less CGI? sure but this is a super hero film of people flying, showing super powers... i didn't feel the CGI was that much of a turn off.

2. Pace, storytelling, a jumbled MESS. Many critics claim the movie's story was silly, the pace off and that it felt rushed and that it needed to be longer. What the heck? It's a story about a bunch of superheroes, you would need a 6 hour film to do justice to every super hero, but this is what the standalone movies are for? It is expected that a lot would be shortened, compacted in a JL movie. I actually thought that the storytelling was tight, they did the best they could do to make us feel a connection to every single superhero, they did a fantastic job introducing Aquaman, cyborg and flash and offering us a story around superman's return, batman and WW. The movie made us care about each of the superheros, the character building was solid and this is the most important thing

3. Too much silliness. Some critics were claiming characters went too far making silly jokes, the 'Josh Wheldon' effect. I actually thought there weren't that many of them, movie struck the right balance between light heartedness and seriousness, this is a super hero film! anyone who reads comics knows that this is simply part of the deal and it wasn't that bad, just a few moment where some of them used humor... big deal, it wasn't that bad.

Critics went on and on about CGI, silliness, pace, storytelling but if i compare it to avengers and marvel films, i see little difference... All the marvel films had a lot of silliness, a lot of nonsense plots but when were talking about super hero films, you can't expect serious, scientifically certified stuff! For instance, some critics thought the concept of mother boxes, their power source and how superman was resurrected was silly, really? anyone watch the Thor movies? so much silly stuff but critics still gave them good reviews no? How about star wars? I actually thought star wars was horrible and critics gave it great reviews. Talk about silliness, when Rey and Finn took over the Hans Solo ship w/o knowing how to fly it and flew it like pros, cracking stupid jokes as they flew threw crevices, destroyed ships... I was like 'oh my god, how retarded'; how Harrison Ford was reduced to a pathetic Hans Solo; how Rey was able to fight off a sith without ever been trained; all the silly jokes during serious moments by all the characters, yet critics didn't care, RT gave it 90%! Justice league >>>>>>>> Star wars, not even close.

There were even critics hating how supes fights justice league, AN AMAZING SCENE. Why? cause they couldn't understand why supes would do it! LOL.. I actually felt this scene was awesome as it showed the power of supes and gave us a glimpse of what would happen if one day he turns bad. Also, it was perfectly reasonable for me to imagine supes being confused after being dead for a while, when people wake up from a coma, they are often confused.. this is what i thought, that he had a moment of being lost and confused after being dead! Not only this, before they resurrected him, some of them worried it was a bad idea, that it was unknown how the power source would affect him. I thought this all made sense and was awesome yet there are critics there hating this and asking why?

i think this movie was really solid. Yes, a lot was crammed in, there was some CGI that wasn't perfect, there were some light hearted moments but the movie captured the true feel of DC comics and it made us care about characters and chemistry between them was great. It's super hero films guys, not every story has to be realistic, perfect, scientifically certified! take it for what it is. I think critics today are just not doing their job very well, NO WAY star wars was better than JL, NO WAY! Rogue One? maybe, but star wars was *****! yet RT scores were high...

spoilers below!...
Whoa whoa whoa lol, I gotta disagree with the Star Wars comparisons, maybe compare the Peter Cushing in Rogue One to Cavill's mouth in JL but that's the only comparison I could make, there were critics that laid into Force Awakens too btw for other reasons as well as yours, so yeah, some critics purposely bash films just for hits/views.

Did they really comment on Supes fighting members of the league? Lmfao! Because they know all about disorientation after being brought back from the dead??? (i'm not saying I do either) that was definitely one of the highs for me

I want to do a review on this and I still may, but for now I wanted to share this:

I look at films like this as a comic book fan from long ago - it is about superheroes and super villains and how well that plot-line can be told.

That ALL still has to relate to the audience, but they should go in expecting this.

There are very few movies based on the DC universe that I have enjoyed, but I always go in hoping for something great. Unfortunately this film was not great - BUT, it was good. I enjoyed it a lot actually. I have mentioned before about one's mindset when they go to see a movie in theaters. I went in wanting to have fun and I did.

I want to do a review on this and I still may, but for now I wanted to share this:

I look at films like this as a comic book fan from long ago - it is about superheroes and super villains and how well that plot-line can be told.

That ALL still has to relate to the audience, but they should go in expecting this.

There are very few movies based on the DC universe that I have enjoyed, but I always go in hoping for something great. Unfortunately this film was not great - BUT, it was good. I enjoyed it a lot actually. I have mentioned before about one's mindset when they go to see a movie in theaters. I went in wanting to have fun and I did.
u just said it, Very few movies on the dc universe that are above average and good, and those were the batman nolan trilogy.

u just said it, Very few movies on the dc universe that are above average and good, and those were the batman nolan trilogy.

I keep trying to understand why those calling the shots do not embrace this.

Whoa whoa whoa lol, I gotta disagree with the Star Wars comparisons, maybe compare the Peter Cushing in Rogue One to Cavill's mouth in JL but that's the only comparison I could make, there were critics that laid into Force Awakens too btw for other reasons as well as yours, so yeah, some critics purposely bash films just for hits/views.

Did they really comment on Supes fighting members of the league? Lmfao! Because they know all about disorientation after being brought back from the dead??? (i'm not saying I do either) that was definitely one of the highs for me
the critics going off on supes fighting JL are just idiots, they can't take any complexity or twists. It is amazing to me that any critic would consider this such a problem. Is it that hard to accept a possibility that superman, after being dead for a while and resurrected by some unknown power would have a moment of confusion? if a critic cannot even accept this, it's because they lack openness and just want an excuse to hate, i mean, seriously? Even some in JL provided cues by warning it could be a bad idea to resurrect him. I actually think it was brilliant, a moment were supes showed his power and how dangerous he could be if he ever turned bad.

Force awakens was a piece of sh%t for various reasons. The original star wars films had good stories and people earned their keep. It took Luke 1 movie and a half to get trained, once he was trained, he had earned it. Rey? fought off a trained sith without ever being trained, this made villain look like sh&t, far from a Vader. This is the stuff of cheap popcorn flicks. Force awakens cheapened so much of what star wars was all about. Hans Solo, who was a serious character and fun as heck in original 3 films, was reduced to a retard, all so we could focus on the new kids. The way he was killed off was cheap too. The villain was a whining little girl, very weak. Then when Fin and Rey took over the M. Falcon, a ship that is a classic, they didn't know how to fly it but through jokes and high 5s were able to fly it as good as Hans Solo himself. The plot also was stupid and it was a movie for 4 year olds whereas the original star wars was a movie for all generations. My point on force awakens is that RT score was high yet it was truly a stupid, cheap popcorn flick that diminished star wars and even tarnished the old characters. I don't understand how this movie has a higher RT score than JL, critics today just want cheap, safe, popcorn flicks and will reject anything that diverges from this.

I know everyone has different tastes and not everyone is like me but i honestly thought JL was quite good. The movie made you care about all the characters and all of them were cool, it was a fun movie. I saw it with 2 others and both of them also said it was good and there were claps in theatre.

i think the batman trilogy are a bit overrated. The best part of the 3 films was the first 20 mins of the first one, Batman Begins. It was really cool to see Batman get trained and become batman. The rest is blah, they were well directed but i found them not be fun at all. The last batman movie was simply boring and i couldn't watch the whole thing. If i had to rate the 3rd Nolan batman film in terms of enjoyment scale, i would say 6/10 and JL, 9/10. Sure, JL's CGI effects were worse and movie had more silliness but much more enjoyable. I could watch JL many times, i would fall asleep watching the 3rd Nolan batman movie again.

I just looked at reviews for Batman begins and users rated in 8.3/10 whilst RT score was 84%, this is pretty consistent. JL, so far, has a user review of 7.4/10 and RT 40%. As you can see, big disconnect between critics and general public, i really think critics just wanted to hate JL. MOS, BvS set the tone for a hate wave... i'm just glad i saw it, it was a lot of fun! People need to ignore RT and just make their own conclusions after watching it.

spoilers below!

Justice League shows that we have a massive problem with critics, they are largely inadequate and have strong biases that get in the way of truly reviewing a film for it's merits.

There are critics out there that simply want to bash Zach Snyder, Ben Affleck and DC and will go into a movie already looking at it from the most negative perspective possible. If anyone enters a movie with such a mindset, flaws can be found and flaws can be exponentially overweighted. A perfect example are those that expect a super hero movie to be light hearted and funny and if it's not, IT SUCKS. This is NOT good movie reviewing, this is inadequacy at it's highest level.

Many people didn't watch this movie because of the stupid RT score, i almost didn't watch myself thinking it was going to be an incoherent, CGI filled MESS with bad acting and horrible story telling. I'M GLAD I DID, I LOVED IT!

let's address all these negative crap critics are saying.

1. Too much CGI. Okay, the villain was CGI and Cavil's mouth looked funny at times. SO? My goodness, CGI is part of every f super hero film and it never took me out of the movie, people today have this thing where they want everything to be free of CGI and any CGI is somehow BAD. WTF! Could've the villain be less CGI? sure but this is a super hero film of people flying, showing super powers... i didn't feel the CGI was that much of a turn off.

2. Pace, storytelling, a jumbled MESS. Many critics claim the movie's story was silly, the pace off and that it felt rushed and that it needed to be longer. What the heck? It's a story about a bunch of superheroes, you would need a 6 hour film to do justice to every super hero, but this is what the standalone movies are for? It is expected that a lot would be shortened, compacted in a JL movie. I actually thought that the storytelling was tight, they did the best they could do to make us feel a connection to every single superhero, they did a fantastic job introducing Aquaman, cyborg and flash and offering us a story around superman's return, batman and WW. The movie made us care about each of the superheros, the character building was solid and this is the most important thing

3. Too much silliness. Some critics were claiming characters went too far making silly jokes, the 'Josh Wheldon' effect. I actually thought there weren't that many of them, movie struck the right balance between light heartedness and seriousness, this is a super hero film! anyone who reads comics knows that this is simply part of the deal and it wasn't that bad, just a few moment where some of them used humor... big deal, it wasn't that bad.

Critics went on and on about CGI, silliness, pace, storytelling but if i compare it to avengers and marvel films, i see little difference... All the marvel films had a lot of silliness, a lot of nonsense plots but when were talking about super hero films, you can't expect serious, scientifically certified stuff! For instance, some critics thought the concept of mother boxes, their power source and how superman was resurrected was silly, really? anyone watch the Thor movies? so much silly stuff but critics still gave them good reviews no? How about star wars? I actually thought star wars was horrible and critics gave it great reviews. Talk about silliness, when Rey and Finn took over the Hans Solo ship w/o knowing how to fly it and flew it like pros, cracking stupid jokes as they flew threw crevices, destroyed ships... I was like 'oh my god, how retarded'; how Harrison Ford was reduced to a pathetic Hans Solo; how Rey was able to fight off a sith without ever been trained; all the silly jokes during serious moments by all the characters, yet critics didn't care, RT gave it 90%! Justice league >>>>>>>> Star wars, not even close.

There were even critics hating how supes fights justice league, AN AMAZING SCENE. Why? cause they couldn't understand why supes would do it! LOL.. I actually felt this scene was awesome as it showed the power of supes and gave us a glimpse of what would happen if one day he turns bad. Also, it was perfectly reasonable for me to imagine supes being confused after being dead for a while, when people wake up from a coma, they are often confused.. this is what i thought, that he had a moment of being lost and confused after being dead! Not only this, before they resurrected him, some of them worried it was a bad idea, that it was unknown how the power source would affect him. I thought this all made sense and was awesome yet there are critics there hating this and asking why?

i think this movie was really solid. Yes, a lot was crammed in, there was some CGI that wasn't perfect, there were some light hearted moments but the movie captured the true feel of DC comics and it made us care about characters and chemistry between them was great. It's super hero films guys, not every story has to be realistic, perfect, scientifically certified! take it for what it is. I think critics today are just not doing their job very well, NO WAY star wars was better than JL, NO WAY! Rogue One? maybe, but star wars was *****! yet RT scores were high...
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spider_man_homecoming
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/logan_2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gua...e_galaxy_vol_2

Every other super hero movie this year got better reviews from the critics and the audiences. When you release a film that fails to have a solid concept, is poorly executed and pales in comparison to the five other super hero films that came out this year...what do you expect.