Nostromo Top 25 Movies The Ride

→ in
Tools    

#19.

ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL (1979)

Never before has the school board seen a student body such as this, but starting today, things will be different. May I present to you an administrator who has promised to carry out her duties with an iron fist. The new principal of Vince Lombardi High, Miss Evelyn Togar. *Clapping* Togar is introduced to Riff Randell (PJ Soles) pretty quick, as she steals the music teacher's turntable and blares music over the intercom speaker system. Togar proclaims THIS INCIDENT IS GOING DOWN ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD, a record that's gonna follow you throughout your entire life! You have managed to upset the entire school with this godforsaken noise. One of the crucial launching points of the film is Eaglebauer Enterprises, run by Clint Howard, inside a pimped out bathroom stall. Eaglebauer Enterprises is a name that stands for quality, and he's the kinda guy who helps people with their problems. Meanwhile Riff Randell is obsessed with The Ramones and bails on class for three days to get tickets for their next concert. Eh, those parts are okay, I get a kick out of the other scenes though, like Togar's dorky hall monitors who go around persecuting freshmen.

This is one of Roger Corman's cult classics. The man who helped jump the careers of Jack Nicholson, Francis Ford Coppola, and Martin Scorsese. What's fun about these kind of movies is they don't present themselves like these super major-refined productions that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make. They were good-fun low budget hangout films made for not all that much really and probably filmed pretty easily and quickly. This one cost $200,000. She is Miss Togar, and she is the new principal of this school. AND WHO ARE YOU?! I just talked to the chief of police, and he's going to storm the building. Notice the loss of hearing. Nonsense! They should be made an example of for the whole school! Hey ho, let's go!

I don't think I've ever seen that
P.J. Soles after her roles in Carrie (1976) and when she took her shirt off in Halloween (1978), I guess!

#18.

ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK (1988)

That gal with the enormous... uh, ratings, she drives to Fallwell, Massachusetts to pick up her inheritance at the reading of her Great Aunt Morgana's will. She's hoping to get $50,000 so she can open up her new show in Las Vegas. But an old house, a dog named Algonquin, and a stupid recipe book is ALL she gets. At least that's better than her crazy brother Vincent Talbot got. Whose will reads, "To my dear brother Vincent, I leave the rest of my estate, of which there is none." This spot, I saved it for my favorite witch movie. My choice came down to City of the Dead (1960) with a young Christopher Lee, Black Sunday (1960) by Mario Bava, Sleepy Hollow (1999), or this. Black Sunday was the closest, with Barbara Steele the original Italian scream queen who I figure Cassandra Peterson got some of her inspiration for Elvira from. I do love that unintentional dated foreign humor padded by the all the magically cheesy dubbed voices. Also hey, it turns out that dumb recipe book has some serious supernatural power to it. I'd be interested to hear about anyone else's favorite witch movies too if they have fun with them. The charge is... witchcraft!

That morality council whose got it out for Elvira, they've gotta be quite the linchpin of this film. They call her a slimy slithering succubus! And she had half the teenagers in town writhing around to that... Jungle music! If she's morally unfit, then we have every right to do anything we can to get her out of this town, agreed? Absolutely. Maybe we're not being entirely objective about this. SHUT UP LESLIE! Then it's unanimous, *gavel slam*. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the most drop-dead gorgeous one of all? Oh, you're just sayin' that. Ya see we've got this town council that lives in mortal fear, that somewhere, somehow, somebody is having a good time. That Chastity Pariah, she's got the whole town turned against you! Well here's to my big opening! Oh, forget it.

ELVIRA

Greetings my friends. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friends, future events such as these, will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown. The mysterious. The unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now for the first time, we are bringing to you, the full story of what happened, on that fateful day. We are giving you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimony of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying ordeal, the incidents, the places. My friend, we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty, let us reward the innocent. My friends, can your heart stand, the shocking facts about....... GRAVE ROBBERS FROM OUTER SPACE

I saw Mistress of the Dark at the movies and loved it. Look up her pics if you haven't seen them; she's also hot with her natural red hair.

#17.

THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION (2016)

On November 8, 2016, the American People delivered a historic victory and took our country back. This victory was the result of a movement to put America first, to save the American economy, and to make America once again a shining city on the hill. But our movement cannot stop now - we still have much work to do. I'll be signing an executive order to expand apprenticeships and vocational training to help all Americans find a rewarding career, earn a great living, and support themselves and their families- and love going to work in the morning. Not only will our apprentices transform their lives, but they will also transform OUR lives in the truest sense.

Our movement is about replacing a failed and corrupt political establishment with a new government controlled by you the American people. The establishment has trillions of dollars at stake in this election. For those who control the levers of power in Washington and for the global special interests, they partner with these people that don't have your good in mind. The political establishment that is trying to stop us is the same group responsible for our disastrous trade deals, massive illegal immigration, and economic and foreign policies that have bled our country dry. The political establishment has brought about the destruction of our factories and our jobs, as they flee to Mexico, China, and other countries all around the world. It's a global power structure that's responsible for the economic decisions that have robbed our working class, stripped our country of its wealth, and put that money into the pockets of a handful of large corporations and political entities. The only thing that can stop this corrupt machine, is YOU. The only force strong enough to save our country is US. The only people brave enough to vote out this corrupt establishment is you the American people. I'm doing this for the people, and for the movement, and we will take back this country for you, and we will make America great again.

Welcome to the human race...
lmao you didn't even rank it #1 so how much of a true believer are you

They're burning all the witches
Even if you aren't one
So light me up
Light me up

Light me up
Go ahead and light me up

I was enjoying the ride until Taylor Swift showed up. Now I think I might need you to pull over and let me out on the side of the road. To be fair, though, she actually does look somewhat sexy in the above .GIF, which is the first time I've been able to say that about her talentless, fake-ass self.

Fun thread as always, pal. Your write-ups and presentation ooze coolness and style. Very interesting selection of films, as well. I had to check to see if I've seen Out for Justice or not, since all of Steven Seagull's films basically feel the same to me. Apparently I have seen it and only rated it two stars. I love me some old-school action, but give me JCVD or Arnold or Stallone or even Chuck Norris before you give me the man with the ponytail and no charisma. I do somewhat enjoy Under Siege, though.

I like Scarface and don't understand all the hate it gets, but it's been a decade or longer since I last watched it. I didn't enjoy Jennifer's Body all that much, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Zombieland is awesome and one of my favorite horror-comedies. I barely remember anything from Nightmare on Elm Street 4. I haven't seen the original The Longest Yard or Rock N' Roll High School yet, but I'm confident I would enjoy both of them. Elvira is one of my dream women. I wish I found Mistress of the Dark funnier than I do, but staring at Elvira's mammoth cleavage isn't a bad way to spend 90 minutes. I haven't seen your #17. Is it some kind of dystopian science-fiction film?

the man with the ponytail and no charisma.
One of the biggest film related laughs i've had with friends was from this man. I have no idea what film it was and we only watched the first five minutes, all i remember was it started with a truck blasting into somewhere for some reason and Segal ended up under the truck fcking things up then when they looked under the truck coz that's obviously where the problems where coming from he was suddenly on top of the truck with them

Sly and Arnold have much better movies but none of them has made me laugh as much as that.

Welcome to the human race...
Nostromo clearly has a thing for dudes with bad hair who can't keep their hands to themselves.

But seriously, Seagal's popularity (erstwhile or otherwise) straight-up baffles me. I remember when we had a Top 100 Action Movies countdown and Under Siege cracked the list while no Jackie Chan movies did, which was especially confounding (I'd probably have found it tolerable if they had JCVD in the lead role because Seagal is just that much of a cinematic black hole). Think my favourite movie of his might be Executive Decision purely by default.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Seagal seemed closer to reality than the 80's roidstars. A greasy ponytailed, potbellied, articulation destroying tuffy. I think it was a change of pace that really got him in.

I was enjoying the ride until Taylor Swift showed up. Now I think I might need you to pull over and let me out on the side of the road. To be fair, though, she actually does look somewhat sexy in the above .GIF, which is the first time I've been able to say that about her talentless, fake-ass self.

Fun thread as always, pal. Your write-ups and presentation ooze coolness and style. Very interesting selection of films, as well. I had to check to see if I've seen Out for Justice or not, since all of Steven Seagull's films basically feel the same to me. Apparently I have seen it and only rated it two stars. I love me some old-school action, but give me JCVD or Arnold or Stallone or even Chuck Norris before you give me the man with the ponytail and no charisma. I do somewhat enjoy Under Siege, though.

I like Scarface and don't understand all the hate it gets, but it's been a decade or longer since I last watched it. I didn't enjoy Jennifer's Body all that much, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Zombieland is awesome and one of my favorite horror-comedies. I barely remember anything from Nightmare on Elm Street 4. I haven't seen the original The Longest Yard or Rock N' Roll High School yet, but I'm confident I would enjoy both of them. Elvira is one of my dream women. I wish I found Mistress of the Dark funnier than I do, but staring at Elvira's mammoth cleavage isn't a bad way to spend 90 minutes. I haven't seen your #17. Is it some kind of dystopian science-fiction film?
A Captain Spaulding sighting? Holy Hallelujah

Steven Seagal's whole B-movie vibe makes me laugh.

Yea I don't know about my #17 either, I was getting tired of my thread and I didn't think anyone would look at it, how in the heck did I become Taylor Swift???