Leaving the forum

Tools    

I see your memory is not as good as mine. July 2013 on a threat about Miyazaki-sama you also used the same word earlier when talking about Madoka calling people who watch that "freaks"
What he said was "Maybe that's what the pure anime freaks are saying, but his movies are much more important in terms of influence." He's not calling them "freaks" in the sense that you are thinking. In this context it means someone who is heavily - usually to the point of obsession - interested in one particular subject

With pleasure.

He said that in a thread about Miyazaki retiring. After that "conversation" he started to hate my guts.

Anyway, it will take some searching to find that since he said that in July 2013. He characterized animation fans as freaks twice back then actually.
Here's what I wrote back then (it was a discussion about Miyazaki's influence):

Maybe that's what the pure anime freaks are saying, but his movies are much more important in terms of influence.
Sure those works can be your favorite of his. Amongst anime freaks they may very well be regarded as his best work, but again, I was talking about his HUGE INFLUENCE on CINEMA. Neither of those two are part of what I consider cinema. Linespalsy would agree about that, I think.
It's clearly not meant in a malevolent way. I even used a !

Also, I never "hated your guts".

Cobbyth, you were really parading your ignorance of Japanese culture back them. Anyway, it is pretty obvious that you used the term in a negative way.
The only person I see "parading ignorance" right now is you. Your English is very good, but you need to learn to differentiate the meanings of things in different contexts.

Your English is very good, but you need to learn to differentiate the meanings of things in different contexts.
Yeah i do think this was a genuine misunderstanding on Guaps part, not a deliberate misrepresentation.

Yeah...I think "genuine misunderstandings" happen a lot more when you're awash in confirmation bias, but that's just me.

Whether this particularly instance is a misunderstanding, though, there's a long, proven history of misstating other people's positions. Like the four times he did it with me earlier in this thread, none of which have been substantiated.

I'm still waiting for the mythical quote from 2012 where I said that anime should be banned from the Hall of Fames.

I didn't even participate in my first HOF until 2014.

I don't mind being called a freak. Maybe that's just me.
I mind being called an "anime freak" by someone who knows as much about anime as I know about Irish poetry because of the social sigma associated in Western countries with animation and Japanese visual culture. It's like the difference between a white Christian calling a stigmatized groups like Jews "greedy Jews" and just calling someone who is not a Jew "greedy".

In anime forums the words "weeabo" is called "w" word. It's like ****** being called the n word. Interestingly anime fans refer themselves as weebs like blacks refer themselves as niggs. I was also called a weeabo here by the way. Around January 2014 by former member Bluedeed.

I was also called a weeabo here by the way. Around January 2014.
It easily could have been misspelled but it's really cracking me up that search only shows this post for that word

I mind being called an "anime freak" by someone who knows as much about anime as I know about Irish poetry because of the social sigma associated in Western countries with animation and Japanese visual culture.
You are an anime freak. That is not a derogatory term in this context.

And your post is just willful ignorance at this point.

Here's what I wrote back then (it was a discussion about Miyazaki's influence):

It's clearly not meant in a malevolent way. I even used a !
I never claimed it was used in a malevolent way.

Anyway. It is interesting that you were acting exactly like your definition of an idiot:you held a strong opinions on a topic you were and still are completely ignorant about.

Also, I never "hated your guts".
Of course you did. You were even rooting against Brazil in the world cup in 2014. And now you just come into the thread and call me an idiot with this post:

I don't think that's offensive. It's a correct statement. Most of us (people in general) are stupendously ignorant.

There's a lot of truth to many of the points Guap is making. Most people are incurious creatures that prefer to live inside the safe bubble they've always known, as a voluntary slave of their biases and prejudices.

He just doesn't realize that he's also one of those creatures, in his own way. Just like I am in my own way and others are in theirs.

The most ignorant person is he who thinks of himself as the only one who's not ignorant.

I don't mind being called a freak. Maybe that's just me.
I mind being called an "anime freak" by someone who knows as much about anime as I know about Irish poetry because of the social sigma associated in Western countries with animation and Japanese visual culture. It's like the difference between calling a stigmatized groups like Jews "greedy Jews" and calling someone "greedy".

In anime forums the words "weeabo" is called "w" word. It's like ****** being called the n word. Interestingly anime fans refer themselves as weebs like blacks refer themselves as niggs. I was also called a weeabo here by the way. Around January 2014.
The only anime term I know is kawaii. I'm not an animated film person in general. But I do watch the odd one on rare occasion. And when it's that occasion, I would probably choose something Japanese because at least they're not musicals.

As far as "freak" is concerned. Don't care who calls me one. If I'm a freak for a thing, I own it. If people intend it negatively, BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY F***S, and see that it is barren!

And now you just come into the thread and call me an idiot with this post:
What on earth are you talking about? What he says in that post is that everyone is ignorant, and that people who think they're not are particularly so. Please, explain how this somehow boils down to "Guap is an idiot."

Of course you did. You were even rooting against Brazil in the world cup in 2014. And now you just come into the thread and call me an idiot with this post:
You supported Brazil and I supported my neighbouring country. What's wrong with that?

Also, I didn't call you an idiot.

I was probably the most anti-Brazil guy in the 2014 World Cup thread because they eliminated Columbia and i had fallen in love with James. Plus it was the most boring Brazil side i had seen in a World Cup.

And also it was a conspiracy against Guap or something.

I took cob's post as a nice comment not mean

Me in that same thread in 2013. @Guaporense

"Animefreak" wasn't meant to be an insult, by the way. It was meant as you being obsessively interested in the subject of Japanese animation, which is of course a good thing!

What on earth are you talking about? What he says in that post is that everyone is ignorant, and that people who think they're not are particularly so. Please, explain how this somehow boils down to "Guap is an idiot."
Your semantic BS again.

He said that I am ignorant and prejudiced and then he said that I am not aware of being ignorant and prejudiced. Then he claims that the most ignorant person is that ignorant who thinks he is not ignorant.

Hence he puts me in the set of most ignorant people not the set of all people which he calls ignorant and prejudiced.

How can you not get the insult? It's obvious.

By the way he is paraphrasing Socrates who said that the wisest man is the one who knows he knows nothing.

Your semantic BS again.

He said that I am ignorant and prejudiced and then he said that I am not aware of being ignorant and prejudiced. Then he claims that the most ignorant person is that ignorant who thinks he is not ignorant.

How can you not get the insult? It's obvious.
That's not an insult. It's a hint. Also I was generalizing and not specifically talking about you.