The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll be starting work on the SEA-tastic institution that is my game of the year thread over the weekend. AC Origins was the last big release that is interesting me so I'll put some more time into it.

There have been a lot of massive games this year, which means that my time with one specific title has been forcibly cut short so I could play as many as possible.

Prey turned out to be less linear than I was expecting. Which is a very good thing, but also kind of overwhelming. There are so many places to go and side missions. I've already picked up several, and some involved saving people which I ended up accidentally killing. I'm going to finish this playthrough first and see which ending I get before restarting the game. Oy vey.

I completely missed out on the announcement of a new Metro game. Wasn't aware of it at all until now. Well, I might be late to the party, but it looks fantastic.

Trailer in case anyone else is on the same boat...

A system of cells interlinked
Got a few more hours logged into Deus Ex - Mankind Divided over the weekend. Computer is back to running smooth as silk after the reinstall. I shall not go 6 years without a clean slate again! That's tabula rasa to all you ancient Romans out there.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok, I've mainly avoided bombing the tab, but here's an attempt to summarise 3 months of VR

** VIRTUAL REALITY REVIEW - 3 MONTHS IN **
---

Two sentence review:
The upsides are totally triumphing over the downsides . But the downsides are still significant...

---

BREATHLESS POSITIVES:
  • Immersion: Is just fricking hard to overstate. Games that invite you to get lost in their environments benefit the most, for sure. But everything from racing sims to twitchy arcaders can have their atmospheres improved, and then their game aspects amped up too, thanks to the instinctive reactions and depth perceptions that the tech brings into play. When done right this 'presence' business is the secret sauce. It can convince your body it's inside a different functioning reality, and it's no exaggeration to say that **** can be a game changer... (apologies )

• Hand control is great: Having them right in the game for fine control, for exploring physics, for shooting guns etc makes for a novel and badass new interface. Both reliable and intuitive, it feels like there are solid new gaming norms already established here, and flexible possibilities waiting to be explored too. The Rift controllers are neatly ergonomic and generally grand to use, to the point that you often forget they're there. (Having your hands 'in the game' also draws your body in that much more, doubling down on the immersion aspect. Add in responsive environments that reward naturalistic tinkering and there are a lot of positive feedback loops going on here...)

PROS & CONS:
  • Indie Experimentation: Can be a lot of fun . It's the Wild West right now as everyone figures out what works and where the edges are. This means dross abounds, but it also means little leaps of genius get more attention in the sparser market, and passionate devs can then breath life into their little worlds sustained by the increased airtime as they go. It's not ideal, it's often Early Access, but it's delivering some rough diamonds along the way...

VERY PRESENT NEGATIVES:
  • The gaming ecosystem & bang for buck still aren't in the best place, compared to what we're used to. A fair amount of shopping around is required (unless you're loaded), there are far fewer AAAs launched that you can delve into for ages, and a lot more reliance on indie & AA output to fill the gaps (with all the quality issues that implies).

• Graphics are a downgrade from what we're used to on a flat screen, as the 90fps-per-eye requirement is pretty high. (It may help that I've been brought up on far worse, or that I'm used to juggling graphics about to get the best out of them on PC, but this is still rarely bothering me much. The 'being there' boon takes the edge off massively. It is definitely more enjoyable when you get the classics in place like decent aliasing, textures and lighting though, which isn't always the case.)

• The stupid cable & accidentally hitting things both occasionally cause bother, although are mainly manageable and don't impinge. Before the year is out I will have punched my glass light fittings though... :/

• Doing standard non-gaming things, like switching to surfing the net, or doing it in parallel, are much harder in the Rift at the moment. (Although Minority-Report style in-game app windows etc are due in December). Writing anything of substance is currently slowwww. Chatting with people in the room is totally possible (the in-built headphones are very good for this), but not entirely ideal.

---

GRATUITOUS SUMMARY:

It says something that I'm still hyped about VR despite those downsides. It is properly cool . It's just also a bit less accessible than the current gaming world, requiring you to put a bit more energy in to get your bonus fun out right now. Will be interesting to see if the AAA revamps launching this December help it get close to a place where you can just buy a game, plug and play, and go revel in it for a prolonged period. As it is currently I'm pretty cool with jumping between genres, and riding on indie output to get my daily gaming fixes. But I am definitely desirous of classic AAA having its day too
---
And now some reviews of the bazillion games I've played.... (Because there are very few long-form AAAs on the market right now to soak up your attention. Plus I've been playing a lot )
---

REVIEWS:

--SHOOTERS & BRAWLERS--

SUPERHOT VR
- Superhuman slow-mo super-antics. Short but pretty perfectly formed.

Robo Recall
- Gaudy teleportation shooter, short-ish but slickly executed. It's future-90s cities felt like a place you were scudding through, but the focus was on the high octane gamery. [Rift Freebie]

GORN
- Ludicrous arena melee-fest that deploys its cartoon hammers and bendy swords to great effect. [Early Access]

Onward
- Arma-style 'realistic' mili shooter that really places you in the moment! [Early Access]

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades
-- - Ridiculously replete gun simulator sandbox with bonus zombie sausage scenarios. Even though it's more a suite of mechanics than a game it's surprisingly good. [Early Access]

Run of Mydan
(+) - A short but pretty & trippy flying platform shooter which ends up like a duel inside a 1990s microchip [Early Access]

--SIMULATORS--

Elite Dangerous VR
(+/-) - Flying a spaceship never felt so real! (Some queueing for parking required...)

Dirt Rally
+ - 'Dark Soulsian' offroader that shows no mercy in its starter disciplines, but rewards with deep challenges.

--TEAM SPORTS--

Echo Arena
- Challenging and super-slick Zero-G team frisbee, Ender's Game style... [Rift Freebie]

--ADVENTURE / PUZZLE / WALKING SIMS--

The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
+++ - '80s adventure' with some neat tricks and touches, just ultimately light on puzzles and length.

Pollen
+++ - Explore an abandoned space outpost in search of missing astronauts - Tactile, 70s-style, and not a little bit trippy by the end.

--ACTION ADVENTURES & RPGs--

Vertigo
++ - Eccentric but pretty damn excellent 'escape the lab' adventure, with some stand out giant boss scenarios.

Vanishing Realms
(+) - Satisfying melee and cartoony consistency make this dungeon crawler overcome it's short-ish length. [Early Access]

--PUZZLE GAMES--

XING: The Land Beyond
-- - Super zen puzzler which sees you flipping environmental effects and pacing around various natural zones.

Form
- - Evocative puzzler that is unfortunately all form and very little substance.

--SURVIVAL GAMES--

Vivecraft
-
Excellent mutation of the survival classic, featuring a huge suite of options, leading to some surreally immersive results. A ton better than the official version. [Free Mod]

Star Shelter
++ - Neat 'rogue lite' space scrounging simulator. Punishingly cruel at times, but has a certain something in its loops. [Early Access]

--PLATFORMERS--

Herobound
+++ - A pretty tight little combat/puzzle platformer, with some minor non-linear aspects. Gains almost nothing from being in VR, but hey it's 8hrs long and it's free. [Rift Freebie]

--EXPERIENCES--

First Contact
- Just an exceptional and super-slickly designed intro to the tech. Highlights what's special but makes everything feel natural. [Rift Freebie]

Batman: Arkham VR
- Super immersive, if super short, chance to don the bat cape and tangle with some dark Gotham dilemmas. On the light puzzle end, and more experience than game, but immersively good for all that.

Waltz of the Wizard
+ - Lovely free physics plaything, with the odd mini-narrative hidden in its playful folds... [Rift Freebie]

Interkosmos
- Great little 'land the lander module' mini-adventure, featuring tongue-in-cheek Cold War stylings & audio story.

Blade Runner 2049: Memory Lab
+(+) - Too short, and slight on a gaming front, to even rate if it wasn't free. But as a demonstration of what full actor capture could do, and for slipping into the Blade Runner reboot neatly enough, it's definitely worth a reco. [Rift Freebie]

Aircar
++ - Another free super short experience, which is never-the-less properly epic. It's just a wonderfully rendered cityscape experience, which is immediately evocative of the original Blade Runner. [Free]

Mission:ISS
- Another high class freebie, featuring solid zero G locomotion, the sci-steeped setting of the station, but what's genuinely glorious is the ability to space walk outside it all... [Rift Freebie]

Farlands
+ - Delightful alien locations mixed with deeply tedious gameplay. Worth a download for the initial transporting sections though. (Warning, includes chirpy robot guide...) [Rift Freebie]

Mythos of the World Axis
- Super-short early proof of concept that makes your feel like you're controlling a tiny hero in a cavernous room of adventure...[Free]

Cycling Pathways to Mars
+
= ? - Buzz Aldrin in hologram form. Need I say more...? [Free]

The Body VR
-- - A hint of what education VR could become, but not there yet. Some of the scale as you passed over and into the mechanisms and environments of the inner cells was pretty cool though. [Free]

---

After spending more than a few seconds debating whether to get the Lanoyer HD remaster, it occurred to me that Skyrim is getting two releases this week on two different platforms.

Welcome to 2011.

I can't believe I'm psyched to buy literally fricking all of them again, but I am

Fisticuffs and excessive cigar smoking in LA Noire. Hand-placing cauldrons on people's heads in Skyrim while riding a horse faaaarr away from excessively tall giants. Taking in the Fallout sights (while roleplaying an excessively scared person )...

Looking forward to jacking in to all of those worlds if they work properly. Rockstar jumping into the VR game properly is definitely the biggie though, long term. But having Bethshesda worlds to revel in as a VR-head should be pretty sound too

/excess...

No bites from me, although I have a slightly perverse interest in seeing how Skyrim runs on the Switch. Doom seems functional, but low res and lower framerate - Skyrim's open world, however, with all the horsepower that needs.

They've not done anything to LA Noir which would make me want to pay Ł30 for it. If they'd spent a bit more money and given the player a use for the open world and made the questioning system less bizarre, I'd probably have caved in. Re-naming the interview questions from 'truth', 'doubt' and 'lie' to 'good cop', 'bad cop' and 'accuse' doesn't really address the glaring fault with the gameplay - Frequently you'd select 'doubt' and have Cole go ballistic and basically start accusing the hapless interviewee of literal war crimes!

I really like Lanoyer, but am not blind to the fact that it's got as many problems as it has stand-out moments.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Where's all the Battlefront II hype? Some are saying this is gonna be the GAME everyone is playing.

I have the Switch. Repeat, I have the Switch.

It's been a few weeks since my brother and I ordered it, but he got first crack at it and I wasn't in a huge hurry, anyway. He beat Zelda, but didn't play Super Mario: Odyssey at all (I bought it when it came out and we split the cost, since his wife played it a bit and will probably continue after I return it). Anyway, didn't get to use it too much, maybe a little over an hour last night. Some early impressions:
1) The hardware is really impressive. Not in terms of computing power, but just how well everything works together. It really is as seamless as the announcement video implied, right down to the satisfying snap into place when you slide the controllers onto the console. The default controller, with the Joy-Cons on either side, is definitely sub-par, but wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'll probably be fine playing through both games with it.

It really does feel magical to see such large, polished games on such a moderately-sized screen, though, and to slide the console into the dock and watch the game just pop up on the TV. This is a very well-executed idea.

2) I made a point to start both Zelda and Mario last night, but most of the time was spent on Mario. It's early, but so far I can see what everyone's been raving about. It's really a joy. Looking forward to playing a lot more. Zelda feels a little clunky, but I haven't even really started exploring yet.

3) No idea how much I'll actually use it as a handheld. I like to take my time with open world games and enjoy the atmosphere, neither of which jibes well with handheld gaming, but I'm sure I'll try it a bit. And I've pretty much never liked handheld gaming much to begin with; the smallest screen I've ever enjoyed a game on is a full-sized iPad's. If this makes the experience even moderately pleasant, I'll consider that a pretty big victory, given my natural disinclination to this stuff.
But yeah, I'll probably mostly just play on the TV. It's kind of nice because I've been trying to shake off a little weight bump from the end of the Summer, and I know from experience having a game to play after dinner (as opposed to just watching TV) makes snacking impossible, and helps tremendously. Video games make you healthy!

No bites from me, although I have a slightly perverse interest in seeing how Skyrim runs on the Switch. Doom seems functional, but low res and lower framerate - Skyrim's open world, however, with all the horsepower that needs.

They've not done anything to LA Noir which would make me want to pay Ł30 for it. If they'd spent a bit more money and given the player a use for the open world and made the questioning system less bizarre, I'd probably have caved in. Re-naming the interview questions from 'truth', 'doubt' and 'lie' to 'good cop', 'bad cop' and 'accuse' doesn't really address the glaring fault with the gameplay - Frequently you'd select 'doubt' and have Cole go ballistic and basically start accusing the hapless interviewee of literal war crimes!

I really like Lanoyer, but am not blind to the fact that it's got as many problems as it has stand-out moments.
Yeah most of these flat ports are bizarre on the whole, although I guess they open the game up to those who haven't dallied. LAN's open world definitely does beg for some actual use still, damn right. (It gets worse, to get it working in VR-land they had to remove the random missions from the original. Not that they were much cop mind, but might have been fun for a few goes...)

The 'bad cop' nomenclature does make more sense to me, especially for the way he goes suddenly sour. A pretty simple change though. (And in no way stops my preferred trick of just peeking out from behind my notebook periodically to see if they had a guilty resting face )

It's still interesting that they've gone to town on the mechanics for the VR port though. Given the return will probably be way lower than the Switch sales etc. I doubt it makes financial sense, but ain't looking that gift horse too close in the mouth

Where's all the Battlefront II hype? Some are saying this is gonna be the GAME everyone is playing.

Reddit refunded it :/

(If they can't be Darth, nobody gets to be Darth....)

I have the Switch. Repeat, I have the Switch.
My most played Switch game is Stardew Valley, a game that I'd put 100+ hours into before even buying this version.

Spent 4 or 5 hours with Zelda yesterday as part of cleaning up my initial list of games played this year for the GOTY thread, and it still does nothing for me. An open world action adventure game should be right up my street but I find the combat a total turn off.

Mario is still extremely good.

Stardew valley on the switch may end up being my most played switch game as well. I've been playing it before I go to bed and I don't stop playing until I'm literally falling asleep. It's gotten a tiny bit problematic.

I finally committed to finishing MGSV's main campaign last weekend because I was so frustrated by the lack of what I consider to be the good parts of MGS that I felt I needed to push through to see if that gameplay was still there. It turns out that I quit literally 200 yards from the final boss. So I finally feel comfortable calling MGSV a big disappointment for me (maybe there's an inverse relationship between liking BotW and MGSV?).

I'm trying to collect a list of games that I'd be disappointed if I never fully completed, and I think next up is LttP, DOOM, and Papers Please. All games I've greatly enjoyed but never actually pushed through. LttP in particular is a game I've started and stopped at least a dozen times and has been plaguing the back of my mind for literally 20 years. Mostly due to the fact that I refuse to continue the game if I've put it down for more than a year and instead start over (I really like the opening half of that game).

I've beaten the "initial" part of SM:O, but I think I'll push through to the intermediate "ending" at least. I don't think I'll 100% it though. I think it's just decent, but I also think it may be my favorite 3d platformer of all time; just not a genre I love. (Unless you count Portal as a "platformer", which it sorta is)

I'm trying to collect a list of games that I'd be disappointed if I never fully completed, and I think next up is LttP, DOOM, and Papers Please.
I'm finally going to be playing Papers, Please this winter.

I've been following Lucas Pope's work for awhile, since before PP was released. I played The Republia Times (similar themes) back in the day, and I played the demo of PP, and adored it, but I also felt like I'd gotten most of what was going to make the eventual game so successful. Still, was very excited to play it, except that even the demo had left my wrist in a bit of a state, and I didn't want to aggravate it. So I've kept putting it off, in part because I fear the repetitive stress injury reoccurring (both most of my work and most of my relaxation involves clicking, so a wrist injury really mucks up my day to day life), and also because I have a habit of wanting to "save" games I expect to love.

Anyway, I decided this year to finally play it, but only once softball ended, which is about to happen. So, soon. If you have an idea of when you're going to play it, let me know and maybe we can do it around the same time. This is a rare chance for me to get to talk about a really good game at the same time someone else wants to, as opposed to a year after everyone else is done with it.

(Note: I actually got to meet Pope at PAX this year and demo his new game. He's got a fan for life.)

Stardew valley on the switch may end up being my most played switch game as well. I've been playing it before I go to bed and I don't stop playing until I'm literally falling asleep. It's gotten a tiny bit problematic.
Playing a quick day before you go to sleep is just too perfect on the Switch.

(Note: I actually got to meet Pope at PAX this year and demo his new game. He's got a fan for life.)
I played a very early build of Obra Dinn a while back. Don't know anything about the guy's other games though.

Nope, nothing.

Playing a quick day before you go to sleep is just too perfect on the Switch.
I am simultaneously intrigued and horrified to hear you guys describe this game. I don't know whether or not to buy it or stay very, very far away. But then, I still haven't figured out if I actually like the games I love.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
EA has the most down-voted comment in Reddit history with their lame response to the micro-transaction controversy surrounding Battlefront II. Put 40+ hours just to unlock ONE iconic Star Wars character? Or spend lots of money for a loot crate and HOPE that you get one?? Since they are random, you can spend upwards of $100 to find Darth Vader.

Disgusting.

Suspect's Reviews