14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
It may be, @Joel that, besides the movie poster, the beginning of the movie seems to point you into the direction of Cooper's feelings about his father and when his dad became sheriff and how that may have gone down that the feelings that are introduced regarding Elizabeth Pena's character a short ways in. Making it feel more like a secondary story along with everyone else's.

Though I do believe the REAL issue here is:
what th' f@ck does @Sarge have against pineapple on his pizza?!?!
You are so dead me right now
Say no to pineapple on pizza

Pineapple in the U.S. use to be good, but now all the grocery stores sell is the really sweet kind, which isn't so good for pizza. I miss the acidic type pineapple. I guess I have to move to Hawaii.

I had pizza tonight, but no pineapple on it. I like pineapple on pizza.
That's spooky. I also had pizza tonight and it didn't have pineapple on it as well.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Pineapple is delicious. Pizza is delicious. Pineapple pizza is extra delicious.

Also, in regards to Lone Star - by the time it was clear that the two characters were siblings I really didn't care and it didn't bother me. It explained his father's behavior. But as to the actual incest, they had no way of knowing and were already in love by the time they found out. The relationship did not and would not produce any children so... whatever.

Let the night air cool you off
Time of the Gypsies

I kept thinking of Fellini while I was watching this film, so I just googled "Fellini Kusturica" to see if anything came up. Of course it did. Apparently Kusturica gained the nickname, though possibly underutilized, "Fellini of the Balkans". Much like Fellini, it seems as though he will have one film I absolutely adore and a bunch of others that I admire, enjoy, and respect, but fail to really, really love like I do his one other film that hits the spot for me. For Fellini that film is Amarcord, for Kusturica it's not this film, but rather Underground. I probably mention this ten times a year, but my first post here was about Underground. This film is definitely a good film, but I just don't love it the way I really, really, really want to. I was hoping for another Underground, where the quirkiness would bring me joy, the camera would move in crazy ways, and when it was time to be serious, I wouldn't be left feeling putting off because the quirkiness didn't lend itself to the drama. Well, the camera did move in crazy ways, and I did find joy in some of the quirkiness early on, but some elements of the dramatic parts of the film just didn't work as well as I would have hoped. For instance, I just have a hard time taking the finale seriously because of the what happens to Ahmed. I know it was brought up and established that Perhan had the telekinetic powers, but I just don't really think that was a necessary element of the film. It kind of took me out of the film for that scene, and that was an awful time to be taken out of the film. The direction was fantastic though, I can't complain about that at all. My quibbles really are minor, even if I spent more time complaining than raving. It's just a situation where I'm disappointed, but recognize that there is more good than bad here. This film will still probably be in the top half of my ballot.

Let the night air cool you off
I'll write something for Mommy, but I need to gather myself first. I'll just say that these things are fun to do because of movies like this. I think this is in the top four experiences I've had in any of these Hall of Fames. Synecdoche, New York. Mikey and Nicky. Hiroshima Mon Amour. And now Mommy. And to top it off, @cricket nominated Mikey and Nicky too. I think he's the best at these things.

I can't believe that Dolan is so young, yet so talented. I haven't seen any of his other films, but this one is too good for it be a lucky coincidence. He wrote and directed this thing, and I'll just assume he picked out the songs too. Everything comes together and it's an emotionally devastating film. The aspect ratio definitely isn't a gimmick, because it let's you feel their worlds caving in around them. When it feels like things are getting better and they can finally breathe, it's short-lived. The walls coming closing right back in. The first time the aspect ratio spreads out, it's such a relief. I have a fear or maybe it's just anxiety about physically being unable to do things. That's a vague statement, but what I'm saying is something like scratch an itch, solve a puzzle, or something more severe like lose any particular bodily function that would be considered a handicap. Something like losing my vision, or hearing, or the usage of a hand, foot, whatever. Just not being able to do something freaks me, even if it's a momentary thing. So, when Kyla struggles to get her words out, I feel that frustration, and anxiety sets in for me. But everything in this movie is represented by Kyla's struggle to get her words out. It's like feeling that you are almost there, but you can't quite get there. I kept feeling that for Steve and his mother. So when that first aspect ratio change hit, it was damn near cathartic. It just didn't last, it couldn't last. The second switch, I knew something wasn't right with it, because nothing in this movie had gone that smoothly. The three main actors deserve all the praise in the world as well, because they all killed it. From the quiet, subdued moments between the chaos, to the chaotic screaming and scuffling, to the joyous outbursts of momentary freedom, they just encapsulated the spirit of those moments perfectly. The choice of songs in this film was brilliant too, and I don't even like probably half of the songs, but they fit. I don't know the name of the song, but it might have been the first one that was played, just had me way down in the dumps depressed, so that restricted aspect ratio coupled with that song had me feeling all kinds of bad. And not very many times after that did the music inspire too much happiness, and there isn't anything to be happy about with this film except for the monumental achievement that it is. If I'm giving out stars, this definitely gets as many as you can throw at it.

Glad it worked for you JJ, and I also remember you being the one who liked my nomination in the Western Hall of Fame, Day of the Outlaw, the most. I'd say it's fluky though, as I remember deciding on nominating Joe because you joined that HoF, and I thought you'd love it, and you didn't.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great write ups, JJ!!

as for the pizza debate: loving pineapple is just one more reason why I adore you @Miss Vicky and yes, @Sarge I can NOT will NOt say no to pineapple on pizza -- love a good Hawaiian pizza (ham, pineapple, bacon) and, funny enough, I had pizza Saturday night myself, though it was an Asian Chicken.

Legend in my own mind
great write ups, JJ!!

as for the pizza debate: loving pineapple is just one more reason why I adore you @Miss Vicky and yes, @Sarge I can NOT will NOt say no to pineapple on pizza -- love a good Hawaiian pizza (ham, pineapple, bacon) and, funny enough, I had pizza Saturday night myself, though it was an Asian Chicken.
I like Pizza and I like Pineapple but like siblings they just shouldn't be together.

I eat pizza more than anything else, but I normally get it with sausage, pepperoni, and hot cherry peppers. Sometimes I'll get Mexican pizza, shrimp scampi, or buffalo chicken. I would never order pineapple, but I would eat it and have.