Directed By Women Countdown?

Tools    

At this rate, it might well be me who would end up hosting it. Still burned by what happened the last couple of times I tried hosting countdowns, though.
Iro, Iro, Iro, Iro!

The truth is in here
I'm too excited about this countdown to just let it die in the water. If Iroquois wants to be the host that's great. Let's do this, people!

Backup list, top 5 Tarkovsky films.
A top 5 Tarkovsky Film Countdown will eat alot less of my time so i'm definitely open to this.

Cool if you are hosting this Iro. This isn't a music friendly site i know this well from my epic journey to get 50 Artists for my Countdown, that explains the problems with your Countdowns as both were music related i believe, alot of members either don't listen to music much or don't have confidence in their tastes.

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty much, plus people's music tastes are diverse enough that trying to crib together even 50 albums proved more difficult than expected. A countdown of film scores might've worked a little better but I didn't have the patience for it and haven't bothered to try again. I already think I put too much effort into contributing to this website as is.

That being said, I could end up handling this. Could do with figuring out how to run one of these properly - I think you need an Excel spreadsheet to tally points or something?

Could do with figuring out how to run one of these properly - I think you need an Excel spreadsheet to tally points or something?
I'd PM Holden about that. It's usually Daniel M but he's not around much now and i think Holden would help you out with that. Or maybe Raul but i think he did something insane with that countdown on his phone haha.

Pretty much, plus people's music tastes are diverse enough that trying to crib together even 50 albums proved more difficult than expected. A countdown of film scores might've worked a little better but I didn't have the patience for it and haven't bothered to try again. I already think I put too much effort into contributing to this website as is.

That being said, I could end up handling this. Could do with figuring out how to run one of these properly - I think you need an Excel spreadsheet to tally points or something?
Yeah, I think it won't be a problem to hunt down the spreadsheet. Think Miss Vicky used it too.

What is your ruling on co-directed films Iro? That's been the main question so far i believe.

I'm personally for them, if they don't count then like five films including a few favourites are off my current list but understood if you don't count them.

The truth is in here
I don't think it makes sense to exclude co-directors. There are a lot of directing duos for instance, like the Coen brothers, the Wachowskis, the Spierig brothers, the Farrellys... Maybe one directs less, but they are both still responsible for how the movie turns out.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Or maybe this countdown would be olny by woman and the next one (in the future) might be co-directing. What do You think?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think it would be great if Iro hosts this countdown since it was his idea.

I can sort of understand people's qualms about a list based on the gender of the director. I don't notice who the director is of most films I watch. However, since women directors are so underrepresented it give it a focus and a purpose. What I like about these lists is using criteria to narrow down the many millions of films that are out there, to focus on each list, to give attention to great films that otherwise might not make a 'top 100 of all time' list and to broaden our own viewing along the way.

Nobody is being forced to join and there will be another countdown along soon so if anyone has a problem with it they can sit out and find something else that will interest them like another HoF. Not everyone has to join every countdown. If there aren't enough participants we can still do a top 50.

One thing I like about this idea is that it has quite clear criteria of what counts, unlike with some genre based lists. The only issue is probably the co-directed issue. My personal view, having thought about it, is that co-directed films should count. It's about recognising the work of women filmmakers, not excluding films directed by men. (A few for consideration: Little Miss Sunshine, Cloud Atlas, American Splendor...)

I've already got a letterboxd list of 100 films I have seen and a watchlist of 30 or so that I am interested in watching. A lot of these I didn't know were directed by women until I started looking for this list.

So what are people planning on watching for this? There should be a Hall of Fame at some point, obviously there's not a date set or anything yet just saying.

So far i've watched: Wendy and Lucy, Lore, Mikey and Nicky and Beau Travail. Lore was an accident, found out it was directed by a woman just before watching.

This is my Watchlist right now - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...own-watchlist/

Planning on updating it as i go along just don't want it to end up huge so i'm spoiled for choice. Probably going to keep it at 15-30.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I watched Meek's Cutoff, but I didn't think it was great. Some nice directorial touches, but altogether too much mumbling and an absence of tension where it was needed most. I also watched My Brilliant Career, didn't like that one much either, couldn't stand the main character at all. Wonder Woman which was pretty good and Winter's Bone which was good as well, I'd recommend that one most.

My current watchlist:

Toni Erdman
Pariah
Orlando
American Honey
Monster
Away From Her
The Night Porter
Europa Europa
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Priest
Desperately Seeking Susan
Whale Rider
Daughters of the Dust
Morvern Callar
Me and You and Everyone We Know
The Hitch-hiker
Outrage
An Education
Selma
Raw
The Day I Became a Woman
Archipelago
Losing Ground
The Loveless
The Babadook

My (hastily thrown together) watchlist

Everything by Sofia Coppola (minus Lost in Translation, which I've seen)
Point Break
The Hurt Locker
Zero Dark Thirty
Detroit
Selma
The Babadook
Raw
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Monster
Wonder Woman
Toni Erdmann
The Matrix Sequels
American Honey
We Need to Talk About Kevin
You Were Never Really Here
Ratcatcher

Those are probably the biggest ones that I haven't seen yet.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.