New Emoticons

Tools    

Better, but we need to antialias it a bit. I'm no expert but I think the ones we have achieve their level of smoothness with something like that, with semi-transparent pixels around the edges. I think this is usually done automatically on creation (because it'd presumably be a pain to do it by hand much).

Ok, the problem is the fact that the image itself is so tiny.
The blockiness you're on about, are individual pixels, and blurring them or softening them is almost impossible.

This is just a prelim image
Looks way too fuzzy to me tbh.

Tweaked that a bit, like it pretty well. Also tried simply taking Chrome's representation of the heart emoji and shrinking it down, and I think the trick at this size is leaving an entire extra pixel around each edge to anti-alias more, though it's weirdly heard to tell how it works even looking up close! I dunno how you do this on a regular basis, Rods.

Anyway, thinking of going this way (using : heart :, < 3, or just the heart emoji):

Bigger question to everyone, though: should we be converting emojis into our own style, or just letting them be? Because they process pretty well as-is, I guess the downside is just that people don't always have keyboards with them, and the main beneficiary would just be mobile users. The upside is, no endless list of emojis to recreate in a nebulous style I've never done the proper work of fleshing out or formalizing at all. (I know I'm a fickle weirdo, and I appreciate you all rolling with it.)

As long as we get a 'fickle weirdo' emoticon at some point I'm good with whatever you choose to do