Halloween Watch-A-Thon

Tools    

I've had at least a couple of instances so far this month where I go in expecting a horror movie and realise that it's only got some horror elements like Vampires or Brotherhood of the Wolf. Kinda makes you wonder where exactly you're supposed to draw the line.
I think that's a fair point. I watched the Craft earlier on in my run this month, one I've seen many times and I'm still not 100% sure if I class it as horror. It's more of a teen film than anything, but do think it's horror too, albeit quite tame to fulfil its teen genre.

A system of cells interlinked
I've had at least a couple of instances so far this month where I go in expecting a horror movie and realise that it's only got some horror elements like Vampires or Brotherhood of the Wolf. Kinda makes you wonder where exactly you're supposed to draw the line.
I've had that happen, as well. For instance, Super Dark Times is pretty much a drama/crime flick, but was under the Horror category on Netflix.

Horror-tober 6/31. This most certainly is horror!

The Omen (1976) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/the-omen/

Here's another one that has eluded me for years, though I know why with this one. I remember sharing a room with my older brother on a family holiday once and this was on tv late at night. I was scared and didn't want to watch it, but he didn't give a toss. I lasted until the infamous tricycle scene and spent the rest of the film curled up under the covers with my fingers in my ears desperately trying to ward off the inevitable nightmares...yeah, I was about 8. Oh, and horror films about kids are the creepiest of all.

So here I am, 25 years later and as nervous about a horror film as I ever have been probably! Even though I knew it wouldn't possibly be as terrifying as I remembered it being. That of course is true, but it doesn't take away what a powerful, masterfully made film this is. It creates a sense of dread that is only heightened by the serene everyday bliss of the early scenes in between the morning Damien is born, to his 5th birthday. From then on, it is a slow burning horrifying descent into hell. And that score...wow.

I don't like religion in everyday life, so I think it always lends itself very well to the horror genre. That sense of placing trust in a higher power based on no evidence except faith, prophecies and their interpretations, the ending is the chilling icing on the cake. A masterpiece.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The guy that did the first Annabelle also did Mortal Kombat Annihilation. The guy that did the sequel did Lights Out. The sequel was in better hands.

I couldn’t finish the first one either.

Welcome to the human race...
As mentioned already, another is-this-horror entry (and I was right to question whether it was worth watching):

#10 - Brotherhood of the Wolf
Christophe Gans, 2001

In 18th-century France, a French naturalist and his Native American companion travel into a province that is being terrorised by a dangerous creature.

In trying to cover nothing but horror movies for the whole of this October, I do have to wonder whether or not the ones I choose end up resulting in some serious stretching of the genre's parameters. This was my rationale for watching Brotherhood of the Wolf - not only is its title suggestive of the presence of werewolves (or even just regular wolves), but so is the logline involving a pair of adventurers ending up in a part of the countryside where the local population is ostensibly being attacked by said (were)wolves. Sounds like it's going to be a horror movie, right? Well, not quite. One of the opening scenes does involve a hapless maiden being run down by whatever creature will serve as the movie's main monster, but for a large chunk of the running time Brotherhood of the Wolf plays as a peculiar combination of hyper-stylised action movie and the kind of costume drama that seesaws between stuffy and saucy at the drop of a tri-corner hat. It's at the point where I could focus a synopsis more around the personal drama that unfolds between the various human characters (often on a romantic nature as protagonist Grégoire shacking up with Italian courtesan Sylvia but actually showing true affection in his flirtatious dalliance with local noblewoman Marianne and thus making her brother Jean-François jealous...and so on and so forth) than about whether or not there's actually a wolf (or similar such beast) roaming the area and attacking people.

Even after adjusting expectations away from the idea that this is primarily a horror movie, Brotherhood of the Wolf does little to actually prove an entertaining watch as even an action movie or as a drama or any combination of the three. Scenes involving the creature tend to be blunt and dull even without noting the rough-looking CGI used to bring it to life, which is why it makes sense that the film emphasises its many scenes of hand-to-hand combat between human characters instead. Even those feel like perfunctory attempts to keep an audience awake through the non-action parts as there's nothing terribly exciting about what happens or how it's captured. It's a staggeringly boring affair (not helped in the least by how much downtime there is across its considerably lengthy running time) and nothing - not the reasonably lavish production design nor the elaborate displays of martial arts nor the occasional moment of overt sensuality - ever truly manages to compensate for that. In playing like a fairytale for grown-ups (complete with narrator), it only manages to show off its shallowness and render its rather serious presentation (and attempts at wringing genuine emotion out of its overwrought drama) even more absurd to watch.

October 8th

Slice

B-Movie horror

Slice is a tribute to down and dirty b-movie cinema. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. As a whole I found the film lacking a bit in focus which ultimately makes it a disappointing viewing.

Pizza delivery boys are being killed in Ghost Town and a group of angry women want the ghosts to pay for their crimes. But is it ghosts doing the killings? Maybe it's this werewolf that seems to be driving by at night.

The film feels like a mishandled Freaks of Nature. These ghosts, witches, werewolves, etc all live idly by each other. Freaks of Nature has more atmosphere and a better developed world. Slice feels rushed and it misses the boat. The horror elements are few and the film plays a more comedic route. Paul Scheer is the standout here, delivery some good lines which made the film not a total loss. Chance the Rapper plays the werewolf, he does very little acting here.

The ghosts look like zombies to me and the funniest bit happens at the very end of the film. I guess if you're a fan of the genre give it a watch, but I feel like it'll do very little for everyone else.

Suspect's Reviews

Here is my updated list:

Suspect's List

Oct 1. Phantoms - Small town horror
Oct 2. Murder Party - Social commentary horror
Oct 3. Creep 2. - Found footage horror
Oct 4. The Ritual - Horror in the woods
Oct 5. Mother! - Psychological Horror
Oct 6. Terrifier - Killer clown horror
Oct. 7. The Vault - Ghost horror
Oct 8. Slice - B-Movie horror

October 9th

Freddy VS Jason

Iconic villains horror

Before Batman beat up Superman. Before the Predator ripped apart the Alien. Before Scott faced off against the world. Before Ecks fought Sever. Before Monsters defend earth against aliens. Before Tucker & Dale fought evil. After Kramer fought for custody over Kramer. There was....Freddy vs Jason. "Chi, chi, chi; ha, ha, ha"

This movie would never live up to fan expectations even if the film tries to service those fans every chance it gets. Here is a film that is part horror, part action, part kung-fu? Freddy's got some killer moves here that makes him straight out of a martial arts flick.

My wife has seen one film from each series. The original NOES, which she laughed at multiple times and Jason X....which she laughed at multiple times. So when I sat down to watch this, she rolled her eyes, then laughed at this film multiple times. Two iconic horror villains, are laughably bad in her eyes.

An interesting concept is brought fourth. Freddy is powerless after the parents erase him from their town's history. No one remembers him. So he recruits Jason to kill a bunch of people in his name to bring him back. Once Freddy has his powers, he has to take out Jason so he can reclaim his property, but Jason is a killing machine and he can't be stopped. Ding ding ding....FIGHT!

Jason ranks up his body count even more with a slaughter of people in a corn field. Freddy throws some more one-liners "How sweet, dark meat". The first 2/3's of the film is your generic slasher. The last third is where the two heavyweights battle it out to some heavy metal music. Freddy is more agile, so he gets more moves. Jason is given nothing but the hack and slash move with his machete. I feel like the filmmakers favoured Freddy a bit more here, even though the outcome is a wash.

In fairness, Jason X is pretty funny and probably the worst of the Friday movies to use if you want to actually scare someone.

I watched Freddy vs Jason when I was running through the Friday movies earlier this year and, while I ultimately gave it a
, I did have at least some fun with it. "TILT!"

In fairness, Jason X is pretty funny and probably the worst of the Friday movies to use if you want to actually scare someone.

I watched Freddy vs Jason when I was running through the Friday movies earlier this year and, while I ultimately gave it a
, I did have at least some fun with it. "TILT!"
She didn't want to watch any of the Friday movies, but I convinced her to watch Jason X because it wasn't scary.

My current ranking would go...

Original
Jason Lives
Jason X
Part III
Part II
Jason Goes To Hell
Final Chapter
New Blood
Freddy vs. Jason
Jason Takes Manhattan
A New Beginning
Remake

The truth is in here
My ranking when I watched the series went like this:

Friday The 13th (Has the best story and it's the most wellmade)
The Final Chapter
Part II
Jason Goes Manhattan (The most underrated entry)
New Blood
Part III
A New Beginning
Jason Lives (I think this movie sucks)

October 10th

Urban Legend

90's Slasher Horror

Urban Legend is a cool premise that pays tribute to, but falls victim of the teen slasher tropes. With small roles for Danielle Harris, Robert Englund and Brad Dourif you can tell that this film has a love for horror legends itself. But doesn't bother to do much to add to the genre or separate itself to be unique.

Deemed a Scream rip-off, as many teen slashers in the 90's would be called, this film teeters on the edge of being good. Yet the unimaginative kills (despite the great source material to pull from) and a lackluster reveal hurt the thrills and the chills in this flick. Urban Legend is basically about a killer killing college kids using urban legends as a source. One of them is about a guy strangling a roommate in the dark and leaving a horrifying message for her in the morning; "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights?" it reads. How convenient that these two roommates had a discussion about turning on lights when entering the room just days prior.

None of the characters are likable. Joshua Jackson is a prankster who wants to take advantage of his friends depressed state, Tara Reid is a dumb blonde who works as a radio DJ for a sex show, where she makes fun of her callers, Jared Leto is a school journalist who would rather write a good story to further a potential career than care about people who've just been murdered. Michael Rosenbaum is a typical party douche who apparently has a dog out of nowhere at one point, Rebecca Gayheart is the friend who likes a boy....not much else. Finally our lead girl, Alicia Witt, she likes to run awkwardly in the rain, be an accessory to manslaughter and have almost no personality. She also likes to stand in one spot and scream "Noooo" when her friend is being murdered. It's funny.

Why does everyone in this film own a parka? The killer wears one and half the cast apparently owns one to throw suspicion every which way. I don't know where this film takes place but I usually only see those worn in the snow. I see no snow here. Cue classic jump scares where people turn around at the last minute and bump into a friend or stranger. Violin music cranks up and the audience jumps at the lack of danger. 90's Horror 101 in full effect.

I remember thinking the killer reveal was dumb when I watched this as a kid. I still think it doesn't hold up. It's comically bad and Urban Legend becomes a distant memory for a lot of people while Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer remain teen slasher "classics"

Horror-tober 7

Split (2016) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/split-2016/

First off, this isnt a horror film, despite being listed under horror on Sky. Second, while there are some good bits and good ideas on show here, I dont think its a great film really. Confusingly interesting enough to keep me involved for the duration, but ultimately disappointing once all has been revealed.

It's biggest strength is James McAvoy's performance (or performances?) as Kevin and his multiple personalities, not simply a job of changing his voice for the multiple roles, but his entire personality, with his mannerisms, facial expressions, even just his aura, being able to show with just a look which personalities were warm, and which ones we should be fearing.

An interesting enough film to give it a go, and definitely not a bad film, but that in between kind of level. And definitely not horror.