Vice (2018 Cheney Biopic)

Tools    

Watched the trailer again to see if they prefaced with "from the guy who brought you Stepbrothers and Talledega Nights."

At the end I noticed my favorite kid assasin, Jesse Plemmons is in it. Unnamed role as far as I can tell.

Who could he be?
Trump ? a younger trump ?

Is he out of his mind ?

Doesn't he know that it is next to impossible for overwhelmingly democratic Hollywood to give best actor for the role of Darth Vader himself Dick Cheney no matter how good he plays the role?

Every male actor transformation except Raging Bull and Last king of Scotland was done for a sympathetic role. But even those roles and that of Charlize Theron don't effect US directly.
So why did bale undergo such insane transformation ?
Even if I were to grant your premise (which I don't), do you really not understand that people value things other than box office receipts and awards?

Even if I were to grant your premise (which I don't), do you really not understand that people value things other than box office receipts and awards?
i do appreciate art more than box office or awards.

I wanted to post in the 'Masterpieces bias' thread, but it's already close! haha
So I'll post here: The Big Short sucks!
I will not get into a dog fight but the complexity and god mode directing skills needed to tell a story like that is unreal.

I don't mean you, I mean Bale. You say you can't figure out why he'd do this, and the reason you give for being confused is that you don't think Hollywood would reward him for it. I don't think that's necessarily true, but even assuming it is, why can't he just relish the challenge, or find the role intriguing, or the film well-written, or a hundred other things?

I don't mean you, I mean Bale. You say you can't figure out why he'd do this, and the reason you give for being confused is that you don't think Hollywood would reward him for it. I don't think that's necessarily true, but even assuming it is, why can't he just relish the challenge, or find the role intriguing, or the film well-written, or a hundred other things?
you mean to say that he will be more happy if a movie he made bombs at box office and is not recognized during awards season than the contrary ? I just think he developed a thick skin where he realized that many of the top auteurs don't want to work with him and so he decided to take on risky projects in every way to point of bordering on career killing roles. Machinist is not the kind of movie nor the kind of director that you would loose ton of weight for unless your career hits rock bottom in the direction you wanted and you are just trying to prove a point that you are just as dedicated as any other actor out there. And those kind of roles either hit big or sink and go to oblivion. I am interested to see how far his career goes by making these kinds of choices. I mean knight of cups , the promise and even a movie that went into production without a distributor like hostiles are just wildly risky choices on the brink be called stupid. You asked the question and I answered. I didn't bring it up

you mean to say that he will be more happy if a movie he made bombs at box office and is not recognized during awards season than the contrary ?
No, of course not. But that's not what you asked:
Doesn't he know that it is next to impossible for overwhelmingly democratic Hollywood to give best actor ... no matter how good he plays the role? ... So why did bale undergo such insane transformation ?
You asked why he would do it. I pointed out there were reasons beyond awards and box office (and noted that your beliefs about the potential of the role are arguable, anyway). He's not being presented with a choice between money/awards and "the contrary." He has to choose between films not knowing which will be successful, or in which ways, and factor in which roles he might find challenging, fulfilling, or historically significant, if he's the kind of person who cares about his legacy.

A better question would be: would Christian Bale be happier making a lot of money in a blockbuster, or making very little for a role he finds personally challenging? And the answer is, I don't know, and you don't either, but he does seem to give the latter a lot of weight. So it's reasonable to assume that matters to him at least somewhat.

I just think he developed a thick skin where he realized that many of the top auteurs don't want to work with him and so he decided to take on risky projects in every way to point of bordering on career killing roles.
You can "think" that if you want, but I have no idea why you think you're capable of broadly psychoanalyzing actors' motivation from so little information. You're basically just guessing.

Machinist is not the kind of movie nor the kind of director that you would loose ton of weight for unless your career hits rock bottom in the direction you wanted and you are just trying to prove a point that you are just as dedicated as any other actor out there.
...which, if true, means you've answered your own question about why he might take the role: because he likes challenging roles that require dedication, whether they're likely to make money or win awards, or not.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Quite amazing that Cheney never publicly or privately apologized to Harry Whittington for the accidental shooting incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Whittington

He seems to lose weight one movie, gain a bunch the next. I'm genuinely not sure - does that kind of rapid-fire, repeated change in weight have a negative effect on one's health in the long run?

He seems to lose weight one movie, gain a bunch the next. I'm genuinely not sure - does that kind of rapid-fire, repeated change in weight have a negative effect on one's health in the long run?
I think it takes a toll.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think he was advised not to do the extreme weight loss again.

A system of cells interlinked
A fellow I know who was luckily enough to work on a film with Bale said that the general consensus around set was that Bale puts so much into each role, and makes such drastic changes, that people think he will end up knocking 10 years off his life.

A fellow I know who was luckily enough to work on a film with Bale said that the general consensus around set was that Bale puts so much into each role, and makes such drastic changes, that people think he will end up knocking 10 years off his life.
is that person santa claus ?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I wanted to post in the 'Masterpieces bias' thread, but it's already close! haha
So I'll post here: The Big Short sucks!

is that person santa claus ?
No, that person is Andrew Tarbet. He played Aaron in Exodus : Gods and Kings. He grew up with/went to school with a friend of mine. I don't know him that well.

No, that person is Andrew Tarbet. He played Aaron in Exodus : Gods and Kings. He grew up with/went to school with a friend of mine. I don't know him that well.
i think its always better to live 60 yrs and achieve a lot than live 100 yrs and achieve nothing. Especially in acting , you gotta do what you have to do to get into character.

i think its always better to live 60 yrs and achieve a lot than live 100 yrs and achieve nothing. Especially in acting , you gotta do what you have to do to get into character.
Fair argument. There are certainly plenty of actors and musicians that have done it, that's for sure. Also depends on what achievements are important to each person, as well.

Well, it's not the Oscars, but per earlier discussions in here, it should be noted that Bale was nominated for a Golden Globe for this role.

Still not sure why anyone would think it was the kind of role he specifically wouldn't garner award nominations for, but now we officially know that it isn't.